The UK's knife ban is going well

PilotsError

17 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

Over rated, over rated...

I mean sure, they are good at beating and knifing people, but we are talking the major leagues in Chicago.

You never know when you might get beat up by Trump fans from Nigeria for wearing a noose,  after all.

Fucking brilliant, but end thread right now before it goes CR.

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Haha 1

So just as a clarification, if I have a mini-trapper in my pocket they are going to take it? 
No wonder my friend over there put a halt to me shipping them a decent chef knife.

Do you need my address? I mean, if you’ve got good knives laying around taking up room and you are just giving them away. I’ll be your friend. Not in a Boggs in Shawshank Redemption kind of way, but I’ll speak to you on the internet.

8 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

Do you need my address? I mean, if you’ve got good knives laying around taking up room and you are just giving them away. I’ll be your friend. Not in a Boggs in Shawshank Redemption kind of way, but I’ll speak to you on the internet.

If I knew this is already ask, hey cactus hook a man up.

On 4/22/2019 at 10:42 AM, irishtexan said:

Knife homicides in UK: 287

Gun homicides in US: 14,611

So while it didn't "get rid of the killings", I'd say it did a pretty fucking good job of keeping them below our embarrassing gun murder rates. 

So a country with less than one fifth the population of the United States has less homicides than the United States.  Shocking.

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, EMAWesome said:

So a country with less than one fifth the population of the United States has less homicides than the United States.  Shocking.

Stop it brah, the folks in England and pretty much everywhere else in the civilized world just don't murder each other in the wanton way we do here in the states. They're Bobbys don't even carry guns. That's a telling factoid about their approach to law enforcement.

We have para military wannabes tatted up, and covered in kevlar, and tactical weapons. They have guys with walkie talkies, billy cubs, and tits on their heads.

9 hours ago, Jkwellborn said:

9 hours ago, workswithseed said:

If I knew this is already ask, hey cactus hook a man up.

Y'all can score your own damn knives. I was going to get them one of the Case chromium kind. Nobody uses the big one I have except me. It's razor sharp but she'll grab the one that's the beater. 

I scored a set of 3 piece Case set; bread knife, butcher, and 10" chef for 30 bucks on Ebay. Some fool was letting them go for that? Here's money, send it. 

I spread flavored cream cheese on my bagels with the barrel of my revolver. My bagles are baked without holes because i shoot the holes in them with my gun. This is my second amendment right and if you believe otherwise I'll knife you and/or sic my attack squirrel on you. 

On 7/22/2019 at 9:41 AM, Jkwellborn said:

I wonder if that firearm number is including suicides. That’s what most people do.

Suicide numbers push the numbers to north of 30K each year.  The majority of these are gang related - using guns exclusively purchased online and via the gun-show loophole.  With HP "clips" and extension, barrel cover thingys...

6 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Suicide numbers push the numbers to north of 30K each year.  The majority of these are gang related - using guns exclusively purchased online and via the gun-show loophole.  With HP "clips" and extension, barrel cover thingys...

I'll have to find the study but I remember reading less than 0.1% of firearm related felonies committed in Texas were done with a gun bought at a gun show. By the way, there is no "gun show loophole". That's just code for "private sale". Online purchases with sites like gunbroker.com always go through an FFL, it's no different from going to a shop and asking to buy the gun right then and there.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, HRSchenker said:

I'll have to find the study but I remember reading less than 0.1% of firearm related felonies committed in Texas were done with a gun bought at a gun show. By the way, there is no "gun show loophole". That's just code for "private sale". Online purchases with sites like gunbroker.com always go through an FFL, it's no different from going to a shop and asking to buy the gun right then and there.

I'm with you man.  Just being sarcastic and trying to check off all the relevant talking points.

I had to get to the clips before I caught the sarcasm. People that talk about a gun show loophole are dumbasses.

12 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

People that talk about a gun show loophole are dumbasses.

And have never been to a gun show.  The VAST majority of one-off sales between individuals at gun shows are for novelty and historic items.  Items of relatively high value (read as the opportunity cost for the seller to invest in unloading the item) but low in number that can be carried and moved around the floor.  Last I was at, for example, old guy walking around with a sign trying to unload his old Sharpes rifles in 45-90 (think Quigley Down under).  A big, heavy, historic piece with a very, very limited buyers market using ammunition that is difficult to acquire.  What you don't see, sketchy looking guys with old Glocks with the serial numbers filed off.  

Whether it's "gun show loophole" or "trickle down economics", I can tell almost immediately that I'm dealing with an idiot that knows nothing of the subject beyond partisan talking points.   

• Like 3

5 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Online lol

10 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

And have never been to a gun show.  The VAST majority of one-off sales between individuals at gun shows are for novelty and historic items.  Items of relatively high value (read as the opportunity cost for the seller to invest in unloading the item) but low in number that can be carried and moved around the floor.  Last I was at, for example, old guy walking around with a sign trying to unload his old Sharpes rifles in 45-90 (think Quigley Down under).  A big, heavy, historic piece with a very, very limited buyers market using ammunition that is difficult to acquire.  What you don't see, sketchy looking guys with old Glocks with the serial numbers filed off.  

Whether it's "gun show loophole" or "trickle down economics", I can tell almost immediately that I'm dealing with an idiot that knows nothing of the subject beyond partisan talking points.   

And to add to this, based on sentiment I have seen in online discussions, most of those selling non antique or curio guns at gun shows would welcome a system that allowed them access to the NICS background check system for free. Especially if it didnt have to involve going through an FFL. All you would need to do is set up a system where a person is allowed to get a preapproval certificate that has a unique ID number with it if you want to buy a gun in a private transaction. You find a person with a gun you want, show them some proper ID, and provide the ID number for your approval. That person calls the background check number and provides the name and address along with the ID number and they tell you whether or not it is approved. Both parties get their transaction without having to pay any dealer markup and we do a much better job of keeping guns out of the hands of those who have lost their right to have them through the proper channels.

But that doesn't keep records of who bought what, so it doesn't fly with some folks who think that is important...

19 hours ago, Jkwellborn said:

I’ve never heard of anyone being in favor of that.

No kidding.  Beyond that, if you really wanted to get the gun crowds attention.  I mean really get their attention and show that you have a strong grasp of the situation, whether on the right or left, they would state their intentions that before any new legislation is passed - that we fix and full implement the current laws on the books.

Devin Kelley, previously convicted of domestic abuse while in the Air Force who massacred those 26 churchgoers.  The AF failed to enter the record in the NCIC database that would have triggered his name upon application.  Or the Virginia Tech shooting and the shooters history of mental illness that the FBI never sent to NICS.  Or Dylann Roof in SC, who admittedly possessed a controlled substance and should have been flagged.  Or prosecution of illegally purchased firearms.  The list goes on and on.  

Everyone knows the federal background check system is underfunded and understaffed.  Layering new laws on top of these is a recipe for failure.  If we are not enforcing current laws, how are new ones going to work?  When you also realize that less than 1% of all gun crimes are committed with guns from gun shows, and more than 80% from street/stolen weapons, this "loophole" nonsense makes even less sense.  So if you did look to new laws, legislation aimed at this:  lost/stolen weapons is where you're going to move the needle.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Why aren't we enforcing current laws?  Why do we not allow gun registrations to be placed in a database?

That's the question, isn't it.  Beyond, as stated, it being underfunded and understaffed, it's hard to know exactly.  Seems a pretty good place to start.  We have example after example of current laws, on the books right now - that had they been enforced, would have caught and potentially stopped dozens of mass shootings.

As to why do we not have a federal gun registration?  Is this a serious question?

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

That's the question, isn't it.  Beyond, as stated, it being underfunded and understaffed, it's hard to know exactly.  Seems a pretty good place to start.  We have example after example of current laws, on the books right now - that had they been enforced, would have caught and potentially stopped dozens of mass shootings.

As to why do we not have a federal gun registration?  Is this a serious question?

you're one of those people that are afraid of the govt taking your guns.  got it.  ignore.

• Fuck You 1

18 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

It didn't help that for several years, we were funneling weapons to cartels and other entities for the soul purpose of trying to induce a bigger problem in order to forcefully change various laws.  /NoCR 

• Like 3

Just now, Trey3216 said:

It didn't help that for several years, we were funneling weapons to cartels and other entities for the soul purpose of trying to induce a bigger problem in order to forcefully change various laws.  /NoCR 

You mean a program who's records were sealed via executive privilege?  A program differing vastly from prior action in that guns were actually released with no mechanism for tracking - resulting in the death of both federal agents, but hundreds of Mexican citizens?  A program that has for 7 years fought subpeonas between the House and DOJ, holding a prior AG in contempt for refusing to release records on sed program regarding 2,000 illegal weapons?  That program?  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Why aren't we enforcing current laws?  Why do we not allow gun registrations to be placed in a database?

I think the more important question is why should a gun owner register their gun with the government? Do we also need to register with the government before we attend church or pay the $75 convenience fee to stay home on Sunday?

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

The British government has been mocked and criticized for putting advertisements meant to discourage knife crime on boxes of takeout fried chicken, according to multiple reports.

The United Kingdom’s Home Office tweeted Wednesday: “We are rolling out our #KnifeFreechicken boxes in over 210 chicken shops in England and Wales, including Morley’s, Dixy Chicken and Chicken Cottage. They use real life stories to show people how they can go #KnifeFree.”

Britain’s government is facing severe backlash for making a campaign to reduce knife crime with an advertisement on fried chicken boxes, according to reports. (Home Office)

Yahoo UK reported that more than 321,000 chicken boxes featuring the #knifefree campaign have been distributed “to tackle the senseless violence that is traumatizing communities and claiming too many young lives,” according to Policing Minister Kit Malthouse.

SEAN SPICER DISMISSES BIDEN'S CLAIM TRUMP 'FANS FLAMES' OF WHITE SUPREMACY

“These chicken boxes will bring home to thousands of young people the tragic consequences of carrying a knife and challenge the idea that it makes you safer,” Malthouse added.

The hostile response came quickly on Twitter.

David Lammy✔@DavidLammy

Is this some kind of joke?! Why have you chosen chicken shops? What's next, #KnifeFree watermelons? https://twitter.com/ukhomeoffice/status/1161629920856084481 …

Home Office✔@ukhomeoffice

Labour MP David Lammy tweeted: “Is this some kind of joke?! Why have you chosen chicken shops? What’s next, #KnifeFree watermelons?”

He expanded on his tweet to The Guardian.

“The Home Office is using taxpayers’ money to sponsor an age-old trope,” he told the Guardian. “[Prime Minister] Boris Johnson has already called black people ‘piccaninnies with watermelon smiles.’ Now his government is pushing the stereotype that black people love fried chicken. This ridiculous stunt is either explicitly racist or, at best, unfathomably stupid.”

Diane Abbott✔@HackneyAbbott

Instead of investing in a public health approach to violent crime, the Home Office have opted for yet another crude, offensive and probably expensive campaign. They would do better to invest in our communities not demonise them. https://twitter.com/ukhomeoffice/status/1161629920856084481 …

Home Office✔@ukhomeoffice

We are rolling out our #KnifeFree chicken boxes in over 210 chicken shops in England and Wales, including Morley’s, Dixy Chicken and Chicken Cottage. They use real life stories to show people how they can go #KnifeFree.

Shadow Home Secretary Diane Abbot tweeted: “Instead of investing in a public health approach to violent crime, the Home Office have opted for yet another crude, offensive and probably expensive campaign. They would do better to invest in our communities not demonise them.”

SEAN SPICER: LEFT-LEANING ENTERTAINMENT INDUSTRY GLAMORIZES VIOLENCE, THEN 'WONDERS WHY' SHOOTINGS OCCUR

Official statistics show that offenses involving knives or other sharp objects, such as murders and robberies, have been on the rise for five consecutive years in England and Wales. Between April 2018 and March 2019, authorities recorded 43,516 knife crime offenses. That's an 80 percent increase over the period between April 2013 and March 2014, when 23,945 offenses were recorded in England and Wales.

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

Johnson has promised to take several steps to fight violent crime, including stronger police powers.

The government announced plans over the weekend to create 10,000 more prison places to ease overcrowding and said it would allow police to stop and search people “if serious violence is anticipated." Officers were previously required to have "reasonable grounds" to believe a suspect was carrying drugs, a weapon or stolen property to conduct a search.

https://www.foxnews.com/world/knife-free-fried-chicken-boxes-uk

On 7/24/2019 at 1:17 PM, HRSchenker said:

If you're going to sell a firearm to another person there should be a background check before the sale can be made.  And the argument that you'll lose a sale if you can't do it right then and there can be cleared up with a pre show background check.  

I get that less than .1% are used in criminal activity, but there's no reason to have this loophole, and it is a loop hole because it gets you around background checks currently, if I'm not mistaken.  I own several hunting weapons so this isn't anti gun rhetoric.

1 hour ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

If you're going to sell a firearm to another person there should be a background check before the sale can be made.  And the argument that you'll lose a sale if you can't do it right then and there can be cleared up with a pre show background check.  

I get that less than .1% are used in criminal activity, but there's no reason to have this loophole, and it is a loop hole because it gets you around background checks currently, if I'm not mistaken.  I own several hunting weapons so this isn't anti gun rhetoric.

What qualifies as a sale? If I give the gun away to a family member for free then I don't have to perform a background check? Most of the time it's mentioned as when you let someone else take possession of the firearm. That's when the background check rule would kick in. If that's the case then would I be obligated to perform a background check on my wife if I let her take possession of my firearm during a home invasion scenario?

2 minutes ago, HRSchenker said:

What qualifies as a sale? If I give the gun away to a family member for free then I don't have to perform a background check? Most of the time it's mentioned as when you let someone else take possession of the firearm. That's when the background check rule would kick in. If that's the case then would I be obligated to perform a background check on my wife if I let her take possession of my firearm during a home invasion scenario?

Once you own a firearm, you're responsible for who has access to it. You shouldn't be able to just give it away. If you want to give it to someone they should have undergone a background check. It's not a difficult thing.

I think your scenario of your wife, and a home invasion are a bit of a stretch.  

I have to register my automobile and the government hasn't tried to come and take it from me.
Cant really use that car to prevent tyranny of evil men can you?

No, it’s still anti gun. You know damn good and well that you can’t stop private sales and dealers already make people fill out a 4473 and do a background check.

4 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

No, it’s still anti gun. You know damn good and well that you can’t stop private sales and dealers already make people fill out a 4473 and do a background check.

It's not anti gun.  At gun shows they have background checks for one to one sales ? 

3 hours ago, Jkwellborn said:

1) are you trying to wedge a weird Pulp Fiction reference into this? Or are you suggesting that you can't use a car to shoot a bad guy? Regardless, that wasn't the question, was it? 2) second amendment advocates consistently say that if we take all the guns away then people will just use cars to kill large numbers of people. so is it your fear that after federal spooks come confiscate your firearms, that confused and emotionally fragile white men will then drive their cars into large crowds to kill large numbers of people instead of using the guns that the government has confiscated?

but to go back to the original question of "Has there ever been registration that wasn’t eventually followed by confiscation?"

Yes. Cars.

But if fragile young white terrorists keep this shit up, I can see the slippery slope we might go down. Fuck. The feds might have to confiscate everything - guns, knives, cars, bats, sticks, box cutters, pocket knives, all glass products, rope, tiki torches, those sharp-ass compasses you use to make circles in geometry, etc. Tyranny I tell you! FUCKING TYRANNY!