Abilene- is there any reason at to leave my hotel room?

4 minutes ago, Llano Estacado said:

You calling Gary P Nunn a liar?

Many moons ago, some buddies and I got drunk as shit on stage with Gary P., and we all sang together for a good half hour to an audience of "we're the only people at this joint in Concan, so fuck it."  Gary P.  had a damn good time, but in fairness, we were buying all of his drinks for him.  So, you know, CSB.

Just now, EE2B said:

Jaguar fan.gif

Keep in mind, I've spent 20 of the last 21 years in TN.  My bar is low.  Also, coincidentally, I ate there after a long bike race so just about anything would have tasted great.

I am interested in what you found wrong with the place, though.

Keep in mind, I've spent 20 of the last 21 years in TN.  My bar is low.  Also, coincidentally, I ate there after a long bike race so just about anything would have tasted great.

We have one here and it’s passable if your looking for a beer and an El Chirito TV dinner. My in-laws love the damn place, but there is much better Mexican food.

Used to play gigs at the Abilene Country Club.  Had this little cadre of good looking, fairly well-off chicks whose husbands were oil execs or at least upper managers, and who traveled a lot and no doubt stuck their drills into some oily holes here and there.  The wives knew it and they were ready to go.  Man were they ready to go.  It was like an oasis in the desert.

Not sure you can get yourself into the Country Club but man, they were dtf.

• Like 1

Joe Allen's is pretty good barbecue. 

Second the biergarten in Buffalo Gap for the catfish. 

If you want a nice ride around the area, take Buffalo Gap Rd and then around to the shitty lake and on to 277. It will bring you back to town with a little scenery. Same route to get to Perini. Coronado's Corner is a good pitstop. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, EE2B said:

We have one here and it’s passable if your looking for a beer and an El Chirito TV dinner. My in-laws love the damn place, but there is much better Mexican food.

Mmmmm.  El Charrito.  I lived off those things (and Magic Wok) while in college.

The wife (no pics) is from there, as are her parents. Her grandparents and great grandparents were also from there. Perini's is certainly bad ass but if you're too drunk to make the trip Lytle Land and Cattle Co. Isn't terrible.

But if you're looking for your best life in Abilene just head to the ACU campus and find a Church of Christ "virgin". They're all fake blonde, from DFW and definitely dtf. That's why they all get married at 22.

8 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Never been, but considering it's called "TaMolleys" and in Abeline I'm gonna pass if I ever accidentally find myself in that drive through city.

The Shed is the new hotness for BBQ.  It's open 11-6 or until they run out of meat.  Stillwater is my #2 for BBQ.  Sharon's is a distant #3.

There's a new Hooters on the north side that's stumbling distance to a lot of the hotels on I-20.

Not sure how old you are, but if you're under 40 and have a taste for surprisingly good looking, north-central Texas white trash, Guitars and Cadillacs has college night on Thursdays.  You may think you're better than this, but you're not, and you should go.  It's the best nightlife scene of any night in Abilene. 

The brew scene sucks here, but Pappy Sloakum and Sockdolager are decent.

If you're into cougars, The Mill is your spot.  Thursday night is steak night.  They usually have live music too.  This place is mostly outside and is made up of tables and gazebos, so not really a sit at the bar for hours type of place.

The Beehive is downtown, makes a good burger, and is known for the Long Island Ice Teas. 

La Popular has bomb ass breakfast tacos.  Go there.

Don't pay attention to the people bagging on Jags.  It's not the worst strip club in town.

• Like 1

Went there for work one time about a decade ago and the locals suggested a big ass carne asada burrito at a taco joint with yellow and red decor on South 14th I think.  I like places like that and it was tasty. Have no idea if it's still there and don't remember the name. Just the god awful red and yellow brick walls and big tasty burrito. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

19 hours ago, thestud said:

Stay away from Jaguars in Tye unless ugly women with c-section scars are your thing.

Don't judge me.

I am shocked to learn there are titty bars and a Hooters in that town. I am not shocked to learn the ACU co-eds are dtf. I might go walk around the campus and see the sights if I have time. Hopefully, they won't realize I'm a heretic and try to burn me on a stake.

Thanks for all the recs. I think we already have plans for dinner Friday night at Perini's. I might try to hit up La Popular on the way out of town Sat am.

I think the people I'm meeting with on Friday have decided on Perini's for Friday night. They asked me if I have any preferences. Since they are locals, I told them I'd trust their picks. I have no plans for Thursday night. Getting the f out early Sat am. Based on what I've read on this thread, I might hit up La Popular on the way out of town.

edit:

It’s elbow to elbow desperate whiskey tangos and oilfield trash.

"But for the grace of God, there go I."

Edited by High Plains Drifter

3 hours ago, thestud said:

That was La Popular. It was inside an old gas station across from HEB. Closed a couple years ago and is now a Starbucks. They moved that location out west just down the street from the front gate at Dyess.

No that's not it. La Popular was a breakfast place and bakery. This was no bakery and we went late evening. Big ass carne asada burritos. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

Here is the definitive answer on how to do Abilene:

Get drunk in the courtyard of a Super 8. Grill some hot links or other easy foodstuffs on the public courtyard grill. Pass out in said Super 8.

Wake up at 5am. Go to an Allsups and get some coffee and a pack of smokes.

Drive out to get your spot before the sun comes up.

Limit out by 10am.

Go to Cracker Barrell with your friends.

Go back to your Super 8 and sleep until the Horns come on.

Go to the BWW and watch college football.

Rinse, wash and repeat.

That's what I've seen people do to successfully have a good time in Abilene. To be fair, they do have a newly built Holiday Inn and a serviceable Marriott Courtyard, but the Super 8 just kind of ties the room together.

• Like 1

My family is from Abilene.  The Green Room just opened up and is a legitimately great spot to grab a drink.  It would do well in Dallas/Houston.  There's also a couple of new breweries that are near downtown that look cool.  Krua Thai is decent grub.  The Hollows has Heart Coffee that is prepared well.  I'd rather light myself on fire than live there, but I think you could have a decent-ish 6 hours out and about.

Damn....a bunch of city slickers dissing on one of my favorite Texas towns.  I usually cook out at my buddies ranch between Abilene and Albany but have had many great meals over the years in Abilene.  Best is the aforementioned Perini Ranch in Buffalo Gap but Catfish Corner and a 1/2 dozen good hole-in-the-wall Mexican food places have been spots for good meals.

There is an old bartender at Perini’s that is now the manager. He created a drink called “The Martinez”. Order it.
The martinez is a classic cocktail from the 1800s. It predates the martini. Don't think that ol boy invented it unless he is a vampire.

4 hours ago, thestud said:

Green Room hasn’t even been open a month, and as someone that says they can’t spend 6 hours in Abilene I wonder why anyone would put any stock in your suggestions.

Please never suggest any Thai restaurant other than Ann’s Thai Kitchen ever again. Thanks.

The hAllows is decent but if you’re looking for a coffee joint not named Starbucks then Big Country Coffee is your spot.

I picture you saying this at Catfish Corner with KTAB news in the background.