Wok Recs

William_Cannon

A couple of years ago I went to Sur La Table in the Domain, bought the house brand carbon steel wok for $35.  You can spend a lot more but this one has been amazing, just make sure you season it properly and take care of it.  Don't get the non-stick with teflon, can't really cook with true wok level heat in it.

I have 3. A teflon one that is fine to cook in but not a true wok, you can't use super high heat and everything just slides back to the middle. A cast iron one that is a complete novelty but fun to use on the grill for veggies when you are doing other things. Lastly thew same Sur La Table Steel wok, that is the one I use the most but make sure you take care of it. 

You don’t need to spend a lot of money, as mentioned. And seasoning it is as simple as rubbing it with some peanut oil and baking it in the oven until it smokes. 

Look for ones with wood (or whatever) handles that screw on and off to make that process a little easier. 

If you live near an urban area with a Chinatown, or a restaurant supply store, that’s a good place to start. Keep it simple. 

On 3/31/2018 at 11:59 PM, Godzillatron said:

A couple of years ago I went to Sur La Table in the Domain, bought the house brand carbon steel wok for $35.  You can spend a lot more but this one has been amazing, just make sure you season it properly and take care of it.  Don't get the non-stick with teflon, can't really cook with true wok level heat in it.

I got basically that same wok as a wedding gift.  It's been good when I have needed a wok, but you definitely want to season it, oil it after use, wash it gently, and make sure it has held season in subsequent cooks.  If you don't, food sticks hard.

Edited by dcbc