Sammy Hagar, "The Circle"

Gil Bang

So, there's a Stern thread over on movies/tv board, but this discussion belongs here.

Yesterday, Sammy and the band were in Stern's studio for an extended 90 minute or so, visit. 

Sammy is one of the coolest motherfuckers ever.  He's also a very underrated rock star.  Very solid singer, good songwriter, and good to very  good guitarist.

The Circle includes Michael Anthony and Jason Bonham.  

Eddie Van Halen is a fucking complete and total asshole, and alex is a mere dingleberry on Eddie's asshole. 

Anyway, fun, interesting interview, some good songs, and laughs. 

Edited by Gil Bang

I’ve always been a Sammy fan. I wasn’t so much a “Van Hagar” fan, but solo Sammy was great. He always out on a great show. I used to bang my girlfriend to Standing Hampton, so I always have fond memories of that album.

4 hours ago, Hate said:

I’ve always been a Sammy fan. I wasn’t so much a “Van Hagar” fan, but solo Sammy was great. He always out on a great show. I used to bang my girlfriend to Standing Hampton, so I always have fond memories of that album.

Album title checks out.

9 hours ago, Hate said:

I always thought the best part of the Van Halen concerts with Sammy was when they played Sammy's old hits, can't drive 55, only one way to rock, etc.  It was like solo Sammy with Van Halen as his backing band.

15 hours ago, Liquor and Poker said:

Wonder if Hagar and Roth have ever discussed their experiences with the Van Halen brothers.  I would pay to hear that conversation. 

They don't get along. Really, Sammy represents everything about rock that DLR built Van Halen to oppose, and Sammy is sick of DLR's shit.

That said, they've both written autobiographies about their time in Van Halen. DLR's wasn't even ghost-written; he actually wrote the damned thing himself. I've read them both, as well as Renoff's and Monk's books.

tl;dr: alcohol bad

7 hours ago, Rimbo said:

They don't get along. Really, Sammy represents everything about rock that DLR built Van Halen to oppose, and Sammy is sick of DLR's shit.

That said, they've both written autobiographies about their time in Van Halen. DLR's wasn't even ghost-written; he actually wrote the damned thing himself. I've read them both, as well as Renoff's and Monk's books.

tl;dr: alcohol bad

That was the state of things last I looked decades ago.  But they’re both older than cursive writing at this point so I was wondering if they’d cooled on all that. 

3 hours ago, Liquor and Poker said:

That was the state of things last I looked decades ago.  But they’re both older than cursive writing at this point so I was wondering if they’d cooled on all that. 

Well, what needed to happen was for Ed to get off the sauce and stay off of it. Sammy's said in interviews both that he'd love to get his friend back AND that there's just too much water under the bridge. DLR and Ed were never friends; it was always a business relationship, and it was always rocky. And the deal with Mike bothers the rest of us (and Sammy) more than I think it bothers Mike.

3 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

Sammy said “I like Dave, but Dave doesn’t like me” in the interview

Dave doesn't like the idea of Sammy. But Sammy got reeeeeeeal sick of DLR's shit fast when they toured together.

OK, I just googled up some shit about their tour and this may be the most hilarious thing I have read in 10 years:

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/david-lee-roth-sammy-hagar-2002-tour/

"At the press conference, held at Sky Bar in Los Angeles, the contrasting personalities between the two were made immediately clear. Hagar’s more subdued demeanor was reflected in his red pants and yellow Cabo Wabo-branded T-shirt; Roth was clad in head-to-toe black and joined by Playboy Playmates the Dahm triplets, as well as a dwarf dressed as Andy Warhol."

I guess red pants and a yellow shirt are more subdued compared to triplet strippers and a costumed dwarf, but we're arguing about the edge of the fringe there.

• 2 weeks later...

Inspired by this thread, I went down a VH rabbit hole and I've determined that during Sammy's tenure, they wrote songs that sound exactly how a 14 year old high school freshman dude would imagine a rock band sounding if he could just, you know, "ROCK, DUDE."  The song 5150 is a perfect example of what I mean.

38 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

He's no poet. I care zero.

I'd take his career over just about anyone else's in music. Solid dude all the way around.

Oh, I like the guy, and I think he's a pretty damn good musician.  He's just a goofy crazy-as-a-fox stoner dude.  

I only saw him once, 1980 -- after an encore when the crowd was begging for more he came out and literally said "Hey, we've played all we know, wanna hear 'Red' again?"  Crowd went nuts.  He played "Red" again.

5 hours ago, ohchaucer said:

Inspired by this thread, I went down a VH rabbit hole and I've determined that during Sammy's tenure, they wrote songs that sound exactly how a 14 year old high school freshman dude would imagine a rock band sounding if he could just, you know, "ROCK, DUDE."  The song 5150 is a perfect example of what I mean.

5150 is a fantastic album and it had to be otherwise VH would have failed.  That note Sam hits at the end of that song (5150) is fucking insane.  Hagar took VH to the next level.  And in true Eddie fashion he burned it down and ruined everything.

The current VH lineup is something I would not go see, I saw one of the shows with Roth in Houston and that was it for me. Roth and his shtick was lame and Eddie has been doing the same solo for 25 years.  It is just repackaging and selling the old stuff for a higher price.

Sammy on the other hand I would, and I am going to see him in a week or so.  He still brings a great live show.

• 3 weeks later...