2019 NBA Playoffs Thread

Vic Mackey

OKC has done a fantastic job of weathering the storm and coming back.  They had it to 6 and should be able to keep it to under 10 by half.  I see vintage Playoff P has shown up.  He's not healthy but then he shouldn't be launching so many 3's if his shoulder hurts.  1-8 from BYA.

Edited by Patrick Bateman

6 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

My god. If PG isn't hitting outside shots, who the hell can you trust on that team to make one? How many years in a row is this that Presti hasn't been able to find an even semi-competent role player who can shoot? 0-for the decade?

His right shoulders been a problem since the break.  Took the final game off (when they were still fighting for seeding), and was still icing it throughout this game.

Meanwhile lilard shooting it like there's a 4pt line.  That guy is ridiculous

51 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

Grants also a good 3pt shooter.  Ferguson goes on streaks

Grant is average at best from three. He’s shooting the best percentage of his career this year but is still a career 33%. Not only that but he hasn’t had two seasons in a row over 30% yet in his career. Ferguson is ok but he’s only a 35% guy. That roster really is a shit show when it comes to shooters. 

29 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Grant is average at best from three. He’s shooting the best percentage of his career this year but is still a career 33%. Not only that but he hasn’t had two seasons in a row over 30% yet in his career. Ferguson is ok but he’s only a 35% guy. That roster really is a shit show when it comes to shooters. 

I laughed quite loud when Mark Jackson and JVG were waxing poetic that Dennis Schroder is a legit NBA starting point guard after he made a layup in the 4th quarter (a shot that brought him to 3-13 for the game, I believe).

Sure, he is a starting point guard...if your franchise is a shit show, and you want to tank for draft picks.

That said, even OKC can't shoot much worse than they did today, and they barely lost. Dame played well, and Kanter played way over his head. Should be a great series.

4 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

LMFAO

Curry hits a 3

Camera pans to Del/Wife/his fiance

Jeff Van Gundy: And his sisters here

Breen/Jackson: Thats his fiance..he's marrying her...

God damn it, I need to find this.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba/van-gundy-commits-mistaken-identity-fail-with-curry-family/ar-BBVW31c

Edited by ChiTownDoc
greatness

1 hour ago, aggie08 said:

I laughed quite loud when Mark Jackson and JVG were waxing poetic that Dennis Schroder is a legit NBA starting point guard after he made a layup in the 4th quarter (a shot that brought him to 3-13 for the game, I believe).

Sure, he is a starting point guard...if your franchise is a shit show, and you want to tank for draft picks.

That said, even OKC can't shoot much worse than they did today, and they barely lost. Dame played well, and Kanter played way over his head. Should be a great series.

I still see OKC in 6 but OKC can't stand to do any more than the bare minimum...if that, so reality is they'll win in 7 or lose.  That's just who they are. 

13 hours ago, hobbes2702 said:

That's not entirely fair.  This is Grant's first year starting for the Thunder.  His percentage is next to Korver, Reddick, and higher than Belinelli, Lillard, CJ McCollum, etc.

Obviously doesn't have the 3pt volume of those guards, as he plays closer to the basket.  But his contribution to the 3pt game is like PJ Tucker -- ie quite significant. 

Ferguson is still a project

25 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

But at least Russ got his triple double

Besides being the only player sparking the runs and keeping the team in the game (as GP couldn't shoot), serving Adams basically all his offensive production, what else did he do?

Cool meme tho

• Like 1

OKC had fucking better win this series. They're paying more luxury tax than anyone in the league, with no relief in sight. Zero playoff series wins in 3 years would make that bill pretty tough to swallow. Especially for a roster that really only goes 6 deep, unless we're counting Noel and Raymond fucking Felton.

Crazy how OKC went from terrified of the luxury tax when they had KD and a very real chance to win the title every year to spending like crazy and willing to take stupid, expensive gambles (Melo and the money they had to absorb to get rid of Melo) without KD. Awesome timing on their part.

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:

Did you watch the game? Without Russ, they aren't even in that game. Without Russ, they are battling with the Knicks as the worst team in the league.

Paul George has been the bellwether for the Thunder all season. If he's not playing lights out, they're not good, regardless of what Russ is doing.

22 hours ago, aggie08 said:

My god. If PG isn't hitting outside shots, who the hell can you trust on that team to make one? How many years in a row is this that Presti hasn't been able to find an even semi-competent role player who can shoot? 0-for the decade?

It's not Presti dude. Plenty of roll players have left OKC to shoot much better when not being fed by the Statmaster.

• Like 1

The most underrated part of the playoffs is the first game absolutes and sky is falling over-reaction.

Toronto will probably come back and kick the shit out of Orlando in 5 or 6. The Jazz will make this a series with Houston. The Sixers will get their shit together. I have no faith in the Spurs against Denver. Milwaukee is still going to destroy Detroit (especially if Blake Griffin can't go) though. I don't think that was an overreaction, they are just that much better than the Pistons.

21 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

It's not Presti dude. Plenty of roll players have left OKC to shoot much better when not being fed by the Statmaster.

This is a good point too. People talk about how Russ' teammates aren't any good and he can't do it alone, but there are more examples of players leaving OKC and playing better than vice versa.

I don't think you can completely blame Russ for that though. Player development is more of a coaching thing.

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

You could've feigned credibility with this story when the sample size was about 3 players, playing as rookies with OKC and then maturing to starting roles elsewhere.

Except now that enough time's gone by for the data points to fill out, this narrative has proven true for almost literally nobody.

Looking at FG/3FG/EFG/etc

Stints at OKC same as entire career:  Jeremy Lamb, Sefalosha, Waiters

Regressed after OKC:  Ibaka, Reggie Jackson, Maynor, Kevin Martin (his best % year was at OKC), Kanter (best years at OKC)

The only guy that fit the story was Oladipo....for his single breakout season.  Except this year his shooting was worse in every single metric, compared to his OKC season.  

And for the guys who came into OKC from elsewhere, Paul George and Jerami Grant are having career seasons. 

Edited by 52-80
  • Like 1