Assange Arrested

Fudge Nuggets

Ecuador’s Interior Minister María Paula Romo says Julian Assange's asylum was revoked because there was sufficient evidence that he was meddling in Ecuador's internal affairs in an effort to destabilize the government.

Romo also reiterated President Lenin Moreno's remarks that Assange was consistently violating embassy residency rules, and specifically called out how he would put feces on the walls.

4 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Edit: when you’re being arrested ion TV, be a man and walk out with your head held high. Being carried by police is a bad look.

He's been stuck in that building for 7 years. He might not currently be the most mentally stable person.

Edit: Like I was saying...

specifically called out how he would put feces on the walls.

He aint all there, anymore.

Edited by relapse98

40 minutes ago, GSU&UT said:

Going to be surprised if a Trump controlled DOJ does anything.

Until we get the Mueller report, at the very least prepare to be surprised.  A lot of people are coming around to the idea that Trump and associates are not out of legal trouble. 

Last night involved breaking news that the feds are a lot farther along investigating Trump payoffs than previously reported and includes fed interviews with Hope Hicks and former Trump bodyguard Schiller.  You've got the Mueller mystery appellant still fighting to the death, and any number of active investigations/prosecutions farmed out by Mueller. 

All of this happening despite a Mueller report being filed and 'Trump controlled DOJ' in effect.  

2 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

Pamela got better politics than most of the radlibs on this board.

You never answered my question about what the government should do to someone who allegedly hacked or attempted to hack DOD computers. You just said something about Obama. I don't know what that means.

1 minute ago, David Dennison said:

You never answered my question about what the government should do to someone who allegedly hacked or attempted to hack DOD computers. You just said something about Obama. I don't know what that means.

Obama's DOJ claimed to have evidence of the password hacking scheme back in 2013 but chose not to pursue because it implicated press freedom.  

Just now, David Dennison said:

How is Julian Assange being mistreated? 

I don't like the federal government, DOD, or the intelligence agencies, so I think it's cool and good when people fight them. I also like the idea of an information clearinghouse for whistleblowers.

He might be treated properly according to law, but law isn't always just.

Just now, David Dennison said:

Well, the government obviously thinks he hacked or attempted to hack DOD computers. That being the case, I'm curious what people think the government should do when they believe someone has broken the law.

Specifics matter a lot.

Given with what happened to Risen and Reality Winner, Wikileaks is really the only place to go if you are a US whistleblower and don't want to end up being tortured with solitary confinement for the rest of your life.  

3 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Specifics matter a lot.

If you'll read the statement DOJ put out, Assange is being charged for conspiring with Manning to hide and obfuscate their searching and downloading of sensitive materials - with the specific action being cracking another user's password to make it more difficult to track the intrusion.

5 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

I don't like the federal government, DOD, or the intelligence agencies, so I think it's cool and good when people fight them. I also like the idea of an information clearinghouse for whistleblowers.

He might be treated properly according to law, but law isn't always just.

You don't like the federal government but you want the federal government more involved in the lives of its citizens.

That is a conundrum.

From 2017:

FBI and congressional investigators are currently examining whether Trump lieutenants coordinated with Russian intelligence the publication of documents damaging to Clinton. That sprawling inquiry has burdened the early months of the Trump administration.

The Trump administration’s legal strategy against Assange remains shrouded in mystery. Prosecutors may use communications between Assange and Chelsea Manning, the Army intelligence analyst who passed a huge archive of classified military documents to WikiLeaks in 2010, to argue that the transparency activist incited the soldier to break the law.

In 2011, American prosecutors presented chat logs purportedly documenting conversations between Assange and Manning in which the two men discussed how to crack a password to a an Army database. Assange told Manning that he had tools for doing so, which may serve as the basis of a conspiracy charge against Assange.

Whether American prosecutors possess evidence that Assange provided such help remains unknown.

Regardless, legal experts argue that even if Assange provided such help, his actions could still be defended under journalists’ First Amendment rights. Journalists routinely advise government officials how to pass them information without getting caught by their superiors or investigators.

https://foreignpolicy.com/2017/04/21/if-the-u-s-could-prosecute-assange-it-would-have-already-done-so/

Edited by Fozzz

4 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

You don't like the federal government but you want the federal government more involved in the lives of its citizens.

That is a conundrum.

mister-gotcha-4-9faefa.png?auto=compress

"If you want single-payer healthcare, you must love EVERYTHING the government does and have an attitude of open reverence for the institution overall." - Brain Genius Take

3 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Do you know when the unsealed indictment was filed?

Nope. Enlighten me.

Let me know what Assange did specifically and I'll tell you what I think should happen to him.

21 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Let me know what Assange did specifically and I'll tell you what I think should happen to him.

Arguably he’s liable for the same conspiracy to defraud the United States as the GRU guys in this indictment.  18 USC 371.  Wikileaks is “Organization 1” 

I don’t know if they’re going to charge Assange with this but it’s a possibility.

https://www.justice.gov/file/1080281/download

Use of Organization 1
47. In order to expand their interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election, the Conspirators transferred many of the documents they stole from the DNC and the chairman of the Clinton Campaign to Organization 1. The Conspirators, posing as Guccifer 2.0, discussed the release of the stolen documents and the timing of those releases with Organization 1 to heighten their impact
on the 2016 U.S. presidential election.
a. On or about June 22, 2016, Organization 1 sent a private message to Guccifer 2.0
to “send any new material [stolen from the DNC] here for us to review and it will 17

Case 1:18-cr-00215-ABJ Document 1 Filed 07/13/18 Page 18 of 29
have a much higher impact than what you are doing.” On or about July 6, 2016, Organization 1 added, “if you have anything hillary related we want it in the next tweo sic] days prefable sic] because the DNC [Democratic National Convention] is approaching and she will solidify bernie supporters behind her after.” The Conspirators responded, “ok . . . i see.” Organization 1 explained, “we think trump has only a 25% chance of winning against hillary . . . so conflict between bernie and hillary is interesting.”
b. After failed attempts to transfer the stolen documents starting in late June 2016, on or about July 14, 2016, the Conspirators, posing as Guccifer 2.0, sent Organization 1 an email with an attachment titled “wk dnc link1.txt.gpg.” The Conspirators explained to Organization 1 that the encrypted file contained instructions on how to access an online archive of stolen DNC documents. On or about July 18, 2016, Organization 1 confirmed it had “the 1Gb or so archive” and would make a release of the stolen documents “this week.”
48. On or about July 22, 2016, Organization 1 released over 20,000 emails and other documents stolen from the DNC network by the Conspirators. This release occurred approximately three days before the start of the Democratic National Convention. Organization 1 did not disclose Guccifer 2.0’s role in providing them. The latest-in-time email released through Organization 1 was dated on or about May 25, 2016, approximately the same day the Conspirators hacked the DNC Microsoft Exchange Server.
49. On or about October 7, 2016, Organization 1 released the first set of emails from the chairman of the Clinton Campaign that had been stolen by LUKASHEV and his co-conspirators. Between on or about October 7, 2016 and November 7, 2016, Organization 1 released

Case 1:18-cr-00215-ABJ Document 1 Filed 07/13/18 Page 19 of 29
approximately thirty-three tranches of documents that had been stolen from the chairman of the Clinton Campaign. In total, over 50,000 stolen documents were released.

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

34 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

mister-gotcha-4-9faefa.png?auto=compress

"If you want single-payer healthcare, you must love EVERYTHING the government does and have an attitude of open reverence for the institution overall." - Brain Genius Take

Nope. Enlighten me.

I have no idea when it was filed. That's why I was asking.

Also, you don't hate the federal government.

3 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Also, you don't hate the federal government.

I like it when the federal government uses taxpayer money to improve the lives of citizens. That doesn't mean I like the government. Stop with the FOXNews-level takes. It's beneath you.

4 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

That's kinda like saying you like it when other dudes blow you, but you don't like other dudes. 

Wait... that's not OK?

asking for a friend who might be Vice President.

1 hour ago, Fozzz said:

Given with what happened to Risen and Reality Winner, Wikileaks is really the only place to go if you are a US whistleblower and don't want to end up being tortured with solitary confinement for the rest of your life.  

It's unfortunate for Assange that it appears he also chose to be a Russian Intelligence Service asset.  Meanwhile his contemporary Snowden is hiding in a country with no real freedom of speech, privacy protections, or rule of law. 

Sucks to be RU.