Prove Me Wrong: American Airlines is the worst domestic airline

Rougarou

AA's systems are antiquated. A simple thing like adding a lap infant on a Mexico flight was something neither their website, nor call center, nor check in agents could figure out. The CC pitch is annoying as F too.

On the positive front their basic economy allows for a carry on at no charge vs United which charges 

2 hours ago, gecko said:

I have no idea what the experience is like for the poors on United.  If you are in their top tiers of status (Platinum, 1K or GS), they are awesome.

I travel UA all the time (I'm not going to humble brag, but I travel them a lot from IAH). 

The good:  They are generally on-time, they almost over communicate when there are delays

I've flown United twice in the last 10 years.  Both times, I arrived to the airport for the first flight of the day to find my flight delayed by hours, with no notice given by the UA app, or the email/text notification I signed up for. 

1 minute ago, SimonBolivar said:

Can later be soon? I have an international leg with AA tomorrow morning and I'd like to be prepared.

I recommend you sleep in and show up 6 hours late. Trust me on this. You’ll be good. 

15 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

I've flown United twice in the last 10 years.  Both times, I arrived to the airport for the first flight of the day to find my flight delayed by hours, with no notice given by the UA app, or the email/text notification I signed up for. 

Here is my United story from just last month. 

Show up at the airport for a four(!) leg flight, which started with AUS to ORD to Reagan.   Plane was changed because technical whatever, new plane is smaller.  They need 20 volunteers to take another flight.

I tell them about my whole long ass itinerary, and they say they can get me straight to Reagan in plenty of time to meet my flight out of there.  So now my AUS to ORD to DCA is just AUS to DCA.  And they give me $1500 for volunteering.  And they gave me a couple $10 food coupons for the day.  Just booked my wife and me a first class flight to Napa for the fall with my bonus money.  Which they gave me.  For saving me a flight.

The moment they merged with United I knew it was over. AA was one of my favorites 20-years ago when I flew for business a lot. I am a massive SWA fan...have arrived earl more than I have late on all the flights I’ve flown and usually get the early bird check in that basically guarantees an A boarding pass.

Delta has been my go to recently. First class tickets are almost the same as economy on other airlines and the flight attendants like to smile.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mole said:

I can prove you wrong in one word: Spirit.

4 hours ago, Rougarou said:

No grown adult should ever fly Spirit. Leave that to college spring breakers going to PCB or something. 

That said it wouldn’t surprise me if Spirit actually departed and arrived on time at least once or twice a day which is once or twice more than AA.

OP you really baited me.  I came screaming into this thread ready to fight you.  Then you admit that, obviously, spirit is the worst.  

For me it's hard to tell too big a difference between AA and United.  I have platinum on AA being that I'm surly 1%...both United and AA business class kind of suck.  Bc of my credit card I have Delta's highest status level but not much experience using it because I'm out of Chicago....have they gotten better?  They used to have the suck, nearly as bad as the budget airlines. 

Oh and I used to be SW til I die...not anymore, their prices are only a few hundred bucks short of business class on AA/United more often than not.  But I'll be forever grateful that they saved me when I was a shaggy poor...those $39 one ways were a life saver.  

Edit:  I see tailgate above me likes Delta.  I think we'll be using them consistently to LGA now.  Was into jetsmarter for a while but they rape you and my buddy is suing them.  I also sleep like a baby on a plane so unless it's a party trip and you have the whole jet, I don't get the 'cool' factor of flying on a private jet with strangers.  I also don't post online at all so I don't have the douche pic of me boarding a pvt jet to make the panties drop...missing out I guess. 

Edited by ChiTownDoc

I'd like to talk international airlines, if I may. For a while there, family was making a couple trips to China per year, sometimes more. We've attempted this on KAL, ANA, United, China Eastern, China Air and Asiana. And the ranking is as follows:

• KAL
  • Asiana
  • ANA
  • China Air
  • United
  • China Eastern

China Eastern's airplane looked something like this:

2010-03-15-12-07-17.jpg 

It doesn't show too well, but if you look carefully, you can see that the tail and fuselage are covered in soot. I took this photo to share with family saying, "I can't believe I'm going to be flying on this piece of junk!"

Thing about SWA's boarding policy isn't the boarding, it's getting off the plane.  The "handicapped" people get on first, which means they all take the front seats.  Hence, when the plane lands, they all stand up immediately wait for assistance to get off the plane since they're "handicapped" and all.  Can take 20 minutes just to get them off the plane.

When was the last time you flew them?

6 hours ago, clapclapclap said:

This you?

No, but I have tweeted shitty indignance at the DFW Twitter account on every layover I've had in the past five years about how inexcusable it is that they don't have a Whataburger, and 6-8 months ago, they tweeted me out of the blue to let me know that plans had been finalized to add one later this year. 

You're all welcome. 

Edited by Prepuce of Doom
  • Like 1

As a long time flyer the southwest experience in general is usually way better than every other airline except for the no seat assignment thing.

All other airlines suck, it’s just a matter of whether you hit the wrong flight on the wrong day. Everyone’s personal experience varies. My American experiences are usually better than United or Delta. Spirit is the confirmed vomit airline.

10 minutes ago, swraith said:

I generally flit southwest. I flew AA today on a 2 leg trip for the first time in at least 5 years. Both legs were delayed. Yippee.

As I said, I honestly think AA must be over leveraged on the 737max or something because for the last 3-4 weeks there hasn’t been one single literal time I haven’t had an issue, delay or problem with either leg of a flight. I have status with AA and a lot of points is the only reason I haven’t completely turned on them but I’m very close. The status ensures I get a decent amount of first class upgrades and at least the first few roomier rows and never a middle. If it weren’t for some sort of crazy system of first come first serve or whatever SW does I’d jump on that but I can’t risk not being in a row or aisle in the top 10 rows.

All that said AA sucks.

2 hours ago, Rimbo said:

I'd like to talk international airlines, if I may. For a while there, family was making a couple trips to China per year, sometimes more. We've attempted this on KAL, ANA, United, China Eastern, China Air and Asiana. And the ranking is as follows:

• KAL
  • Asiana
  • ANA
  • China Air
  • United
  • China Eastern

China Eastern's airplane looked something like this:

2010-03-15-12-07-17.jpg 

It doesn't show too well, but if you look carefully, you can see that the tail and fuselage are covered in soot. I took this photo to share with family saying, "I can't believe I'm going to be flying on this piece of junk!"

Oh, and it was just as filthy on the inside. My son barfed on the flight, and he doesn't usually get motion/travel-sick.

My company prefers employees to fly business select with SWA in case we need to change flights at the last minute. I’ve been a-list preferred for the past 3 years due to this. 15 round trip flights to NOLA out of hobby gets me there easy.

Now when I book flights with points, I can check in an hour before my flight and get A25. That’s very nice. Also, the free drink coupons are amazing. Booked my wife a flight and she was boozing it up all the way to Denver two weeks ago on the flight by herself.

I am a regular AA flyer, and I have few complaints. Good internet, cold Bud Light, good entertainment, and newer metal.

I have flown 6 round trips so far this year. Most recently to Denver, a couple weeks back. That flight was indeed delayed a few mins on arrival, but it turned out great. I met this drunk woman at baggage claim. We chatted a bit, next thing I know she’s naked, on her knees in my hotel room.

Good times.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

It sucks in the economy section of all airlines. That’s true whether it’s Spirit, SWA or some legacy pretending to offer service. Status is everything. I spent ten years with platinum or exec. platinum on AA and liked it immensely. I haven’t enjoyed steerage on anyone even if they had a cute quip to go with the peanuts they’re throwing at me. Honestly, about the only group I’ve seen stand above the rest is the gate agents at SWA. Otherwise it’s about the same with anyone sans status. 

But let me just say this. Many of you are a real beating to deal with. I am shocked at the behavior I see in the back of planes and at the gate. SWA has it right in that they really hunt for people who love people for their customer facing positions. If I had to deal with some of the folks I see 3-7 or 8 flights a day I’d have a falling down moment. 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

It sucks in the economy section of all airlines. That’s true whether it’s Spirit, SWA or some legacy pretending to offer service. Status is everything. I spent ten years with platinum or exec. platinum on AA and liked it immensely. I haven’t enjoyed steerage on anyone even if they had a cute quip to go with the peanuts they’re throwing at me. Honestly, about the only group I’ve seen stand above the rest is the gate agents at SWA. Otherwise it’s about the same with anyone sans status. 

But let me just say this. Many of you are a real beating to deal with. I am shocked at the behavior I see in the back of planes and at the gate. SWA has it right in that they really hunt for people who love people for their customer facing positions. If I had to deal with some of the folks I see 3-7 or 8 flights a day I’d have a falling down moment. 

This.  Worst jobs in the universe are FA's and gate agents.

42 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

I am a regular AA flyer, and I have few complaints. Good internet, cold Bud Light, good entertainment, and newer metal.

I have flown 6 round trips so far this year. Most recently to Denver, a couple weeks back. That flight was indeed delayed a few mins on arrival, but it turned out great. I met this drunk woman at baggage claim. We chatted a bit, next thing I know she’s naked, on her knees in my hotel room.

Good times.

Pics aren't showing up for some reason.  Please re-upload.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

I most commonly fly to Denver, so I always fly SW or Frontier.  Yes, Frontier sucks, but you know what you're getting for the price, and I actually respect how they crack down on the carry-on rules, because people are just idiots about that.    You fly SWA, and they tell you "one carry-on and one personal item that will fit under your seat," and then you board and there are all sorts of backpacks and purses up in the overheads.  Southwest needs to cut that shit out.  

7 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

I most commonly fly to Denver, so I always fly SW or Frontier.  Yes, Frontier sucks, but you know what you're getting for the price, and I actually respect how they crack down on the carry-on rules, because people are just idiots about that.    You fly SWA, and they tell you "one carry-on and one personal item that will fit under your seat," and then you board and there are all sorts of backpacks and purses up in the overheads.  Southwest needs to cut that shit out.  

I don’t mind the ULCC’s. You get what you pay for, and honestly it’s just as cramped in anyone else’s economy as they usually have large pockets full of magazines whereas the ULCC’s have strings or whatever.  Also the overhead bins usually have space since people have to pay to use them. The seats aren’t comfortable, but I can deal with that for a few hours. 

• Like 1

I used to fly 4-6 round trips a month out of AUS. I flew mostly SWA and was happy with them 80% of the time. If I didn’t fly SWA, I tried for JetBlue and was happy about 90% of the time with them but they are usually pricier. Agree with last poster that SWA should at least make an attempt to police bad customer behavior (line cutting, seat saving, putting more than 1 bag in the overhead, oversized, turned the wrong direction, at the front of the plane when they sit in the rear, etc.).

USAirways was the worst domestic carrier. Then AA engulfed them and became the Voltron of shit airlines. 

The main thing that makes flying suck is being jammed in a metal tube with a bunch of self-absorbed fucktards for 1-5 hours. 

The airlines aren’t always great, but they all pretty much suck equally on average. As someone else said in this thread, air travel is simply a commodity now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

But let me just say this. Many of you are a real beating to deal with. I am shocked at the behavior I see in the back of planes and at the gate.

Airports are a hive of scum and villainy. And ful of dumb fucks with boarding group 7 on their card who think they are helping the process by dragging their fat fucking wife with her neck pillow and stinky ass bag of TGIF take out to hold their ground in front of the priority boarding lane. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Airports are a hive of scum and villainy. And ful of dumb fucks with boarding group 7 on their card who think they are helping the process by dragging their fat fucking wife with her neck pillow and stinky ass bag of TGIF take out to hold their ground in front of the priority boarding lane. 

These people don't get shamed enough. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rougarou said:

If it weren’t for some sort of crazy system of first come first serve or whatever SW does I’d jump on that but I can’t risk not being in a row or aisle in the top 10 rows.

Seems like every time I've flown SWA you could pay $30 and get a boarding pass in the first group (slots 1-15.)  Got it every time I tried, including at the airport, but maybe I was lucky.

1 hour ago, gsoda3 said:
3 hours ago, Rimbo said:
Oh, and it was just as filthy on the inside. My son barfed on the flight, and he doesn't usually get motion/travel-sick.

Over the Pacific you fly Cathay. Over the Atlantic you fly BA.

Cathay didn't have as good of flights. The nice thing about the Korean airlines is that Incheon is just a quick 737 shuttle from Qingdao. So LAX-> Incheon -> Qingdao. Also, customs in Qingdao didn't check shit for flights from Korea. Half the time, customs wasn't even manned.

The ANA flight was a special deal. This was right after Fukushima, so prices were insanely discounted, and the 23-hour layover in Tokyo meant I got to visit an old expat friend of mine there both going and coming back.

Edited by Rimbo

20 hours ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

And their WiFi sucks donkey dicks through a dick-shaped straw.

They have three separate WiFi systems they use depending on the plane, and one of them makes it all but impossible to find the receipt in your inbox (if you even get one - usually a 50/50 proposition) when you later have to file an expense report. 

But at least it's reasonably priced (not that I'm the one paying for it, so whatever...) when compared to Delta's, which can be $40 per flight sometimes. 

20 hours ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

I usually make it a point to tweet at an airline when I have a good flight attendant or gate agent, just because I think those people should be recognized just as much as my frequent (and often ignored) complaints should be acknowledged. 

Millenial?

Oh boy another airline thread. Might as well post this again.

I used to absolutely hate SW, when I was accustomed to flying J to Asia, open seating was a huge step down. However then I got married and had kids...their family boarding ensures we can sit with my 2/5yo kids along with the other young families (who hopefully understand better how hard it is to fly with toddlers), their staff has always been incredibly understanding, and they fly direct from Austin to where I need to go when the kids are with us (Portland, and DC Reagan).

I’ve written their corporate office twice due to cabin crew experiences:

1) Flying to DCA I saw a mom flying solo with a 6yo boy and ~3yo girl. The boy was chill but the girl was absolutely not having it. I saw mom try everything from de-escalating, to a backside swat, treats, etc...girl was yelling, throwing stuff, climbing seats, etc.

At hour two the purser came by, grabbed the girl to show her the back of the plane and another FA grabbed the boy...she came on the PA and announced ‘while we here at Southwest cannot accept gratuities, young Jason here would like to offer you one more round of snack service’.

Looking over at mom, she looked ten years younger just getting a short break. The girl came back much calmer and I heard the boy say ‘I made $11!’ That impressed me.

2) Last year when we were coming back from PDX (4 hours), my 2yo daughter was completely unable to sit still...the only way I found to keep the peace was to walk with her up and down the aisle, constantly. After two hours and the drink/snack service was over, the FAs came and brought my daughter back to the rear galley to show her around...she was talking their ears off happily, and when the seatbelt sign came on I figured it was time to head back to Hell In 31C but they just winked, said they’d made a new friend and it was ok unless it got rough.

For family travel it’s SWA all the way for us.

• Like 6

10 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Agree with last poster that SWA should at least make an attempt to police bad customer behavior (line cutting, seat saving....

There is nothing to enforce on seat-saving. There is no policy for or against it. Anyone is welcome to TELL you a seat is saved. You in turn are also welcome to sit your happy ass there anyway. Nobody will stop you from sitting in a “saved” seat.  If they get their panties in a wad when you sit down, that’s on them, not you. If they complain to a FA that you sat in their “saved” seat the FA isn’t going to make you get up  

I hear a lot of FAs mention in their PA that there’s no seat saving. They’re trying to be proactive and I appreciate that and wish more would do it, but really there’s no policy on it either way. You are free to sit where you want with no fucks given. 

Edited by Your Mom

Homercles, that sounds great but "...5 years ago I flew SW and we were delayed and I didn't know why and they didn't give me a free drink....I take 3 flights per year and I've taken  my business elsewhere ever since...f**k them..." [sarcasm]

Edited by gecko

Here's been my experience over the past couple of years.  

SWA is great if you are connecting from a small airport to a hub and then on to a major airport.    I used to do Corpus to Hobby to Ft Lauderdale (SWA doesn't fly to Miami)  and the layover at Hou was short and I got to Ft Lauderdale at a very reasonable time.  Now my travels require me to to go to JAX (Jacksonville)  and I  fly American because the connections at Hou don't  line up right.    Judging by the number of gates at JAX,  SWA doesn't have a major presence there compared to Delta or American.  

Now I've been forced to switch to American for this route and for the most part it's been OK.   I haven't been delayed much at all and in fact have been early a few times into DFW on the return trip.     I can leave Corpus at 8AM and be at JAX by 3 PM and and on return I can leave at 7PM and be home by midnight.   My only gripe is the MD-80 they fly this route are outdated as heck inside, but from what I understand they are just waiting to swap the entire fleet of MD-80's with Airbuses come summer time.   The Mad Dog flies very smooth but the seat feels like a mattress from the Motel 6 days when you could get a room for $19.99 and enjoy the black and white TV.  Having said that, I counting the months when I will be able to fly our of Austin or SA 

But I'd still prefer to fly SWA because their Rapid Rewards program is better than AA's.   I've been able to basically fly my family of five to Cancun and Denver on a few occasions on Rapid Rewards points where as with AA you have to fly shit hours or endure long layovers  to maximize your miles.    

Having said AA has been Ok for me lately with domestic travel,  I would NOT fly them overseas unless I absolutely had no other options.   Same goes with UA and Delta.    If I am going to Europe- it's BA, KLM,  Air France,  or Lufthansa.   If it's Asia and depending the destination,  it's ANA, Singapore, JAL,  EVA Air,  Korean,  or Cathy.   If it's Australia- it's Qantas or Air New Zealand.  And if the price and schedule is right, it might be worth going Emirates or Qatar because they connect all over the fricken world from the Middle East,     Why?  Because all of these airlines  noted offer a Premium Economy product which is affordable and blows the chit out of the non sense American, United or Delta offer as Premium Economy or even Business Class.   Most of these also fly out of DFW and/or IAH which eliminates the layovers and change of planes like we used to have to do at such "lovely" airports as LAX or JFK.    You can fly BA and Lufthansa out of Austin as well.

When I start doing my South American travels, I may have to go with American or United  as the go to because most of the Central and South American Airlines do not fly direct to IAH or DFW or don't fly at all to either.

Edited by Nueces River Rat