Prove Me Wrong: American Airlines is the worst domestic airline

Rougarou

Got my parents some UA biz class tix to visit me.  They're working class folks who've never even sniffed the front of the plane. 

First leg is domestic, which is delayed at least 3x now.  It's going to be t+3 hours.  Luckily I built them a long layover at ORD, which they're barely going to make because it involves changing terminal and going through security. 

And UA policy is only for lounge access at airport of long-haul departure (=ORD), so they've been schlepping at their home airport for like 6 fucking hours doing nothing.  Not the best way to start a trip, and if I hadn't given them that connection, it would've really fucked the whole thing.

Also, fucking delay due to mech, not weather.

On 4/15/2019 at 11:31 PM, Superhero said:

I gave up on SWA because they rarely left SFO on time. I missed the birth of my son, his first little league, high school prom and college graduation because the SWA flight was delayed.

Holy Shit, a 21 year layover?  got damn, you are like Tom Hanks in that movie- stuck in the airport for 21 years-  how did you survive?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Uncle Nate said:

Well, nice knowing you.  

3 hours ago, phdhorn said:

At least I'm going to die in the Caribbean.
I did write them and say "WTF???"

I'm sure they'll get back to me by May - 2027.

That looks like an either/or statement, because those are two separate airplanes.  

2 hours ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

Because a 737-800 and a Max 8 aren’t the same plane. The 800 is probably the pinnacle of 737 NG variants, and the 8 is its replacement. 

If this is true then that's just an idiotic label, so stupid that it bottles the mind.  Yeah I'm taking an Aibus380319 to Europe.

American... dipshits.

https://thepointsguy.com/reviews/american-airlines-a321neo-economy/

Citing obsolescence, cost and weight, American Airlines has decided to ditch inflight-entertainment screens on its domestic fleet. All new Boeing 737 MAXes, retrofitted Boeing 737-800s and now Airbus A321neo aircraft are going to be fitted with a tablet holder rather than an IFE screen.

2 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

Citing obsolescence, cost and weight, American Airlines has decided to ditch inflight-entertainment screens on its domestic fleet. All new Boeing 737 MAXes, retrofitted Boeing 737-800s and now Airbus A321neo aircraft are going to be fitted with a tablet holder rather than an IFE screen.

Actually prefer the tablet holders with gate to gate WiFi over the in seat screens but just me. 

3 hours ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

It’s twoo, it’s twoo. 

But it’s more like being told you’re crossing the the pond in a 772 or a 773. 

maxresdefault.jpg

Got damn I hope they put new Fetzer Valves in that bitch before we go!  And don't overload the nose area with luggage... I think that's how those 2 planes went down and they're covering it up!

Edited by phdhorn
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

if I was running airlines, I would've done that sooner.  Replace every shit ass IFE with power and usb port

6 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

Forgive me. I drive a lowly NB, and am not privy to the deeper mysteries of multiple aisles. 

They are wild and wonderful enigmas, full of intrigues and delights.

But I guarantee you have a more way appropriate level of interest in such minutiae and semantics than random avgeeks, which is to say a hell of a lot less.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, phdhorn said:

No one ever looks at those fucking screens anyway... people usually bring their own movies and stuff on long flights.

Airlines are always a few years behind on technology implementation. I did ride a dead head recently where the plane was equipped with a tablet holder which was wonderful once I figured out what I was looking at. 

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1965698-concierge-key-event-dallas-11-apr-2019-did-anyone-go-5.html

Chairman Parker can't reverse denisification. With the debt and labor costs, the future of AA is to follow a Spirit model, not a Delta or Jet Blue model.

EXPs are nice to have, but Chairman Parker will fill seats regardless of EXPs and their spend. As AA lags its peers because of debt levels and no advantage in labor costs, Chairman Parker must find ways to increase revenue. Adding 12 more economy seats on a single isle aircraft, and charging for seat selection, checked bags, food, etc- while hawking credit cards, is the way to go for Chairman Parker, instead of catering to EXPs who are not getting additional AA credit cards, not paying for seats, not paying for checked bags, and not paying for their gin and tonic. Look at Chairman Parker's past history- you will know how he really thinks.

I am a EXP, that averages six flights per week, about 40 weeks per year. I am not blind that Chairman Parker built AA thinking it was a near oligopoly, but with the Spirits, Frontiers, even Alegiant- he is in a corner with the debt deals and labor deals he did to make the merger work. Chairman Parker can't compete with any peer head to head, he has way to much debt to pay monthly. I know being an EXP is going to be less value, as the number one thing I care about is seat pitch, and that is never going to return to prior levels at AA. I don't care about lounges, , PDBs, Flagship first dining- I can pay for a drink and dinner at the airport. But when I have to fly TRANSCON like a sardine packed without even the oil- that is what I care about.

Chairman Parker's back is against the wall. He made this debt sucking and high labor cost monster- he has no choice but to find every little thing to generate more revenue per flight, and with more flights in CONUS than any other airline- that is his only hope. It will never be about customer comfort or satisfaction. And Chairman Parker is no dummy, he has sold many millions of shares well above today's AAL price. He has never sold a share under today's price. He knows its not if, but when the debt cost, non hedge on fuel, and non labor advantage will cause a restructuring.

JDIVER, as usual, nailed it on CKs. CKs are not much about extreme high revenue PAX, but about Corporate Travel decision makers, and the leaders of those Corporations. Hook up the corporate travel decisions makers who sign the contracts, that is key. It is not about seat pitch, not about how many seat across a row on a twin aisle aircraft in Y. Hook up the corporate decision maker and their senior executive leadership.... that is what CK is really all about.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6950505/United-Airlines-CEO-reveals-shrinking-seats-faulty-Wi-FI-pushing-passengers-brink.html

United Airlines CEO Oscar Munoz claimed flying is too stressful for passengers, saying by the time they get on the plane they're 'p****d at the world.'

However the California native, 60, claimed the company is working hard to improve travel experiences and have 'empathy' with their customers.

In a frank interview he also addressed the problem of ever-shrinking passenger seats and Wi-Fi that doesn't work, saying they are working on improving their technology.  

Asked about seat sizes becoming smaller he told ABC News: 'I think we are nearing a point certainly that we can't do that anymore.

He contended that flying has become extremely stressful from the time passengers leave their homes to boarding the plane.

Munoz said: 'It's become so stressful from when you leave, wherever you live, to get into traffic, to find a parking spot, to get through security. 

'By the time you sit on one of our aircraft, you're pissed at the world and I don't care what coffee, what cookie, or what smile I give you.'

Munoz acknowledged having to stay competitive with peers and match many of their offers, but he admitted passengers have had enough of paying the price.

regarding the bolded? no fucking shit, dude

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6950505/United-Airlines-CEO-reveals-shrinking-seats-faulty-Wi-FI-pushing-passengers-brink.html
United Airlines CEO Oscar Munoz claimed flying is too stressful for passengers, saying by the time they get on the plane they're 'p****d at the world.'
However the California native, 60, claimed the company is working hard to improve travel experiences and have 'empathy' with their customers.
In a frank interview he also addressed the problem of ever-shrinking passenger seats and Wi-Fi that doesn't work, saying they are working on improving their technology.  
Asked about seat sizes becoming smaller he told ABC News: 'I think we are nearing a point certainly that we can't do that anymore.
He contended that flying has become extremely stressful from the time passengers leave their homes to boarding the plane.
Munoz said: 'It's become so stressful from when you leave, wherever you live, to get into traffic, to find a parking spot, to get through security. 
'By the time you sit on one of our aircraft, you're pissed at the world and I don't care what coffee, what cookie, or what smile I give you.'
Munoz acknowledged having to stay competitive with peers and match many of their offers, but he admitted passengers have had enough of paying the price.
regarding the bolded? no fucking shit, dude

A real no shit Sherlock moment, Mr Munoz. Here’s your chance to do something about it and put one of your legacy competitors out of business or force them to adapt to what customers want and not necessarily what your stock holders demand. Get after it man!

11 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Air travel sucks because airports are full of lots of humans. Most of them are totally clueless to their surroundings and other people. 

And ugly and out of shape and wearing hideous clothes.  I wish they were all stunningly handsome like me.

16 hours ago, DaysOff said:

High labor costs? Their pilot contract sucks donkey dicks and has to be valued less than UAL and DAL.

The are probably about the same these days, though admittedly I haven't checked in awhile. AAL was way in front on both pilot and cabin crew costs, but bringing in the US East nutbags killed that

I'm really wondering why regular travelers in Austin bother to use American anymore for domestic travel.  They don't go anywhere unique anymore.  They are garbage for travel to ORD, LAX, and JFK where there are numerous other carriers with far better service, equipment, prices, and more importantly---itineraries.  Other than trying to maintain some worthless elite level status, I'm honestly dumbfounded as to why Austinites make American their choice of carriers.  Where are you flying to/from that American makes the most sense?  

9 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I'm really wondering why regular travelers in Austin bother to use American anymore for domestic travel.  They don't go anywhere unique anymore.  They are garbage for travel to ORD, LAX, and JFK where there are numerous other carriers with far better service, equipment, prices, and more importantly---itineraries.  Other than trying to maintain some worthless elite level status, I'm honestly dumbfounded as to why Austinites make American their choice of carriers.  Where are you flying to/from that American makes the most sense?  

abroad on one world.

• Like 2

That FlyerTalk thread was fun.  I enjoyed the guy who was upset there wasn't more of a solid partition between coach and first class.  

Assuming I interpreted his sentence correctly.  When half the words in a paragraph are acronyms, it can be difficult.  

Edited by PilotsError

1 hour ago, gsoda3 said:

abroad on one world.

This, and the worthless elite status. Upgrades are fucking hilarious since any flights with a connection will go through DFW and everybody gets auto requested.  I have much better luck getting a seat through CLT or ORD but also a much better chance of making it home through DFW if there are any hiccups. Now abroad, yeah, AUS-LHR makes life super easy to get anywhere in western europe. I swore off United 5 or 6 years ago cause I was constantly delayed.  Have had a pretty good recent run with AAL. I should maybe look closer at Delta sky team.   

Edited by Anastasis

19 hours ago, DaysOff said:

High labor costs? Their pilot contract sucks donkey dicks and has to be valued less than UAL and DAL.

Maintenance mostly, but a shitload of post-merger fat as well.  AAL is only about 10% larger than DAL based on fleet size, but employs nearly 50% more people; DAL outsources the difference.

Dont see the point of picking a horse in this race.  All these guys have shit for earnings.  Because tickets are cheap as shit and have been cheaper and cheaper.  Theres not much margin for innovation or comfort.  The fabled foreign airlines have some government teats to suckle on.  At the end of the day, if you want a decent experience, you pay more for the cushy seat.  Everyone else to the back of the bus.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

Dont see the point of picking a horse in this race.  All these guys have shit for earnings.  Because tickets are cheap as shit and have been cheaper and cheaper.  Theres not much margin for innovation or comfort.  The fabled foreign airlines have some government teats to suckle on.  At the end of the day, if you want a decent experience, you pay more for the cushy seat.  Everyone else to the back of the bus.

Truth.

AA was the last domestic holdout. Now they are just equally as terrible.

Southwest just canceled my flight out of Austin tomorrow morning. 737-7, so no max 8 issue or whatever. Looks like they have at least one other cancelled flight tomorrow as well. Anecdotally, my bad airline experiences seem to be disproportionately with them. I know they are generally considered one of the best-run airlines but one can only go through the same shit so many times before they start looking to avoid a carrier entirely.

I fly American a fair amount because my job often necessitates I travel to smaller markets. Options usually end up being them through DFW or United through IAH. I don't usually have issues with them. In the end, it is all a crap shoot though.

Edited by gmr548

Not sure if they are the "worst", but AA has declined. I was traveling to Lincoln every week most of last year and started by flying to Omaha on AA - largely to avoid flying UA to Lincoln because of all of the PR disasters they had endured.

However, the service wasn't great, the attitude of the FAs was mediocre (some great, many indifferent, some bad), and eventually I just wanted to try another option. I went ahead and did a status challenge on UA to give it a shot and I was very pleasantly surprised how much better they were - on time more often, friendlier service, and they treat their elites a LOT better than AA. For example, the lowest level elites on UA are listed for upgrades on all domestic flights regardless of distance - AA requires 500 mile coupons for any flight over 500 miles for their Gold and Platinum elites. I like the Denver and Houston hubs (O'Hare is a disaster no matter who you fly) better than DFW and AA's hubs. 

As for Southwest - their selling point is that they are superior on price and performance and neither are no longer true outside of some "fun fares". Their on time performance is the same or many times worse than all three majors (and consistently behind DL) and their prices are - outside of promotional fares - basically in line with what everyone else offers. They aren't the same as they used to be, and I think brand loyalty is keeping them going until people wake up to the fact that it's just another airline but with no seat assignments or first class. 

8 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

that's big for us (we have 4 kids under 8).  i know it's a common sentiment for other large families also.

As long as at least one of those kids is under the age of 6 your whole family gets family boarding which is at the end of the A group.  It would be almost mathematically impossible for your entire family to not get seated together. 

2 hours ago, gmr548 said:

Southwest just canceled my flight out of Austin tomorrow morning. 737-7, so no max 8 issue or whatever. Looks like they have at least one other cancelled flight tomorrow as well.

Those cancellations are almost certainly related to the Max even if they weren’t originally scheduled on one. They didn’t just cancel all the Max flights. They are canceling the flights that have the smallest impact on the overall system and the smallest impact on total number of passengers. Sometimes that means canceling one flight to use it on a flight that would’ve been operated with a Max.  Sometimes it means canceling a flight that’s full  if the flights in that same plane later on are not full and they want that airplane at another station that originates an entire day of full flights.  The airline is stretched pretty thin on airplanes right now and trying to allocate them where they have the best impact. I don’t know if you were on the Houston flight or the LAX flight that canceled tomorrow but probably neither one of them was an issue specific to that airplane or those cities. More than likely they just needed that airplane somewhere else where it would be more useful over the entire day.   I get your frustration though.