Prove Me Wrong: American Airlines is the worst domestic airline

Rougarou

On 5/13/2020 at 7:21 AM, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

I was curious to get opinions from the Surl on my situation with American Airlines.  I had a business trip scheduled for Prague in April.  I decided to take my wife (I know first mistake) so I bought her a ticket for about $4K.   In March the conference was canceled due to Covid 19 so I called back in March and American said they wouldn't refund the money but instead gave me a voucher that had to be used by the end of the year and all the money could only be used on my wife in the future. Now in May I realize travel may not be possible for the rest of the year so last week I emailed American asking for a refund and they just responded that the flight was non refundable and you have a voucher.   My question is would it be wrong to call my credit card company and explain the situation and see if they will reverse the charges?  Not sure the credit card company would even do this.  I am so glad American took all that bail out money yet won't refund money to customers like me even though I am a million miler with them and Executive Platinum every year for a decade or more now.  

Dude. 

Cautionary tale for all of you. 
DO NOT cancel flight on your own. Wait till 24 hrs before it is scheduled. If your airline cancels it they have no recourse but to refund. In other words don’t panic.  
Beantown, you might check the quarantine laws in Chek now and that “might” give you a little more ammo if they aren’t allowing visitors.  

Edited by Shaddie

I started with the Exec Platinum desk and they told me to fill out the form online and submit it.  I am still tempted to just call my credit card company and tell them to reverse the charges and see if that works.

We did the online form and it took 2 weeks, but they eventually refunded us.

• Like 1

Boeing CEO seems to think one major airline is going out of business in the fall. The most likely airline, if this prediction holds true, would be AA. I'd work to get that refund. Voucher may not be worth anything soon enough. 

My thinking is that Boeing may be in more trouble than any of the big 4.

Largest exporter in the nation with massive ties to the military and essential economy driving infrastructure?

Boeing’s not going anywhere. 

The interesting thing to see is who declares BK, likely AAL, and if the others follow shortly to prevent a massive competitive advantage like DAL enjoyed. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Not A/A and not domestic, but dayum.

Pakistan Jet Crashed Shortly After Bizarre Landing Attempt At 327 KPH

A deadly plane crash in Pakistan is prompting questions about how the crew could touch down without landing gear when their sophisticated jetliner was bristling with equipment to prevent pilots from doing just that.
After an abrupt descent that had unnerved air-traffic controllers, the pilots of the Pakistan International Airlines jet on Friday briefly put the aircraft on the runway without the landing gear, grinding along on its two engines at a speed of more than 327 kilometers (203 miles per hour), according to preliminary data.

The pilots aborted the landing attempt, climbing back into the sky, but reported shortly afterward they'd lost power. The Airbus SE A320 apparently glided into a neighborhood as pilots were attempting to return to the same runway, killing 97 of 99 people aboard.

"It is unbelievable to me that an airline crew on a jet like an Airbus, with all the warning systems, would attempt to land the plane without the gear extended," said John Cox, an aviation safety consultant who formerly flew the A320 as a U.S. airline pilot.

5 minutes ago, RPM said:

Not A/A and not domestic, but dayum.

Pakistan Jet Crashed Shortly After Bizarre Landing Attempt At 327 KPH

A deadly plane crash in Pakistan is prompting questions about how the crew could touch down without landing gear when their sophisticated jetliner was bristling with equipment to prevent pilots from doing just that.
After an abrupt descent that had unnerved air-traffic controllers, the pilots of the Pakistan International Airlines jet on Friday briefly put the aircraft on the runway without the landing gear, grinding along on its two engines at a speed of more than 327 kilometers (203 miles per hour), according to preliminary data.

The pilots aborted the landing attempt, climbing back into the sky, but reported shortly afterward they'd lost power. The Airbus SE A320 apparently glided into a neighborhood as pilots were attempting to return to the same runway, killing 97 of 99 people aboard.

"It is unbelievable to me that an airline crew on a jet like an Airbus, with all the warning systems, would attempt to land the plane without the gear extended," said John Cox, an aviation safety consultant who formerly flew the A320 as a U.S. airline pilot.

No, it crashed. 

24 minutes ago, DallasGatr said:

Never flown a 320 but landing at 203kts seems a bit much. Maybe they forgot the flaps as well. Regardless, hope there were aircraft problems that we don’t know about or there is going to be some shoe throwing at the pilots graves.

For reference I had a partial flap landing (no slats) with a full boat at a high elevation airport and our Vapp was 163. 

You cant extend flaps beyond the second notch until 185 knots, but the gear can be lowered at 250 knots. The wheels won’t come down above 260 regardless of handle position. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/3/2020 at 12:49 PM, Bobby_Batronic said:

What’s the point of an empty middle seat when someone is sitting directly in front of and behind you?

From a medical perspective, maybe nothing.  From a selling seats perspective it's the difference between lots of people buying that ticket or not.  The guy in front of and behind you is out of sight out of mind.  The guy next to you is a sure death.  

They just called me to make sure I'm ok. I'm sure it nothing to do with reducing my 120 segment average over the past 10 years to 0 this year.

xxxx
I’m with the Executive Liaison desk at American Airlines. I tried calling you today to personally check in on you and see how you and your family are doing during these unprecedented times.

If you have a few minutes to speak with me, please return my call at.

In the meantime, please take care of yourself. We are committed to getting through this and look forward to the opportunity to continue serving you.

All the best,

Xxxxc

American Airlines

There was a pdf passed around the office this week that claimed to be Fortune 500 CEO answers to a questionnaire regarding post-covid plans.

assuming it wasnt a bullshit file, it reported that more than 50% of CEO's thought future business travel would be reduced to almost zero,  that they could be replaced by zoom meetings instead.

if thats true, business travelers were the lifeblood of the airline industry, they may be even more fucked than you could imagine.

another answer that made sense was "name  3 companies you would short if you were allowed to"  Hertz, and Carnival Cruises were 2 of those mentioned.

they were also asked which 3 companies they would buy stock in if allowed to.... apple, zoom and Microsoft 

• Like 1

On 6/18/2020 at 4:17 PM, Gardner Barnes said:

They just called me to make sure I'm ok. I'm sure it nothing to do with reducing my 120 segment average over the past 10 years to 0 this year.

xxxx
I’m with the Executive Liaison desk at American Airlines. I tried calling you today to personally check in on you and see how you and your family are doing during these unprecedented times.

If you have a few minutes to speak with me, please return my call at.

In the meantime, please take care of yourself. We are committed to getting through this and look forward to the opportunity to continue serving you.

All the best,

Xxxxc

American Airlines

I got the phone call and VM too. Not sure why they thought I'd call back.

6 hours ago, bigup2dahorns said:

Stopped at DFW C club this morning. Very uncrowded. All beverages were at bar. No open snacks available but snack boxes were available on request. Didn’t get one so not sure what is in them. 
Beats sitting in concourse. PHX was DEAD.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have to go to New Orleans in a few weeks.  It will be the first time flying since COVID hit.  I typically book Southwest Business Select as I always have to change my return flight and whatnot and timing could mean that I have to stay an additional day.

Before COVID, there was typically 12 to 15 flights per day in and out of Hobby.  There are now 3.  Jesus, didn't realize routes had been cut back THAT much.

25 minutes ago, pearlandhorn said:

I’ve asked a few people who I work with about how full the flights are between New Orleans and Houston and they’ve said there’s typically 20 people on the flight.

They are getting more full on some days.  I still see some flights with less that 50 passengers but not as often as a couple months ago and 100+ is no longer unheard of.  

3 hours ago, bigup2dahorns said:

Gary Kelly just said that Southwest has 100 planes parked and not in use right now.

That's an improvement.  It was over 300 planes parked for quite a while.  They are still way underutilized though.  Planes that used to do 8 flights a day are doing 3.  It would be cheaper to park more but Gary wants the flexibility to add a few in at the last minute when demand dictates.  I've been seeing flights fill up (Covid-full, ie. 2/3 full) and then the night prior they create a sister flight that leaves at the same time for overflow if it overbooks.  

25 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

Starting to think I should finish up my PPL, return the rest of my loan money I took out to get the rest of my licenses from a flight school (bout 80k) and just join the Air Force at 32 yo.

Are you into gay sex?  If so, then that's what you should do.

2 hours ago, Your Mom said:

They are getting more full on some days.  I still see some flights with less that 50 passengers but not as often as a couple months ago and 100+ is no longer unheard of.  

That's an improvement.  It was over 300 planes parked for quite a while.  They are still way underutilized though.  Planes that used to do 8 flights a day are doing 3.  It would be cheaper to park more but Gary wants the flexibility to add a few in at the last minute when demand dictates.  I've been seeing flights fill up (Covid-full, ie. 2/3 full) and then the night prior they create a sister flight that leaves at the same time for overflow if it overbooks.  

Denver to houston Thursday 

Houston to Dallas today

dallas to Denver today

all covid full (2/3rds) 

• 1 month later...

Irony of the airlines asking for bailouts now and trying to engender sympathy when before when they were practicing overbooking and giving zero fucks, canceling flights at will, charging baggage fees and change fees out the ass and actively practicing the "I fucking hate you" model of customer service is just so amazing to me.

I was a super frequent flier (diamond on delta and platinum on united) last year and I hope this pandemic will serve as a shot across the bow for the airlines to quit being such dicks to their passengers. (of course I keep hoping that CV19 will be a wakeup call for the US population of fat people to lose weight when faced with dying so I am an eternal windmill tilter)

19 hours ago, BrazilHorn said:

Irony of the airlines asking for bailouts now and trying to engender sympathy when before when they were practicing overbooking and giving zero fucks, canceling flights at will, charging baggage fees and change fees out the ass and actively practicing the "I fucking hate you" model of customer service is just so amazing to me.

I was a super frequent flier (diamond on delta and platinum on united) last year and I hope this pandemic will serve as a shot across the bow for the airlines to quit being such dicks to their passengers. (of course I keep hoping that CV19 will be a wakeup call for the US population of fat people to lose weight when faced with dying so I am an eternal windmill tilter)

Therein lies the ugly side of American Capitalism, simply offering a quality product/service for a reasonable price where both seller and consumer feel like they've "won" the deal is not good enough. The easiest ways to keep investors happy and execs' pockets lined in a business with such thin profit margins are to continually diminish the product in the name of cost-cutting and nickel-and-dime the customer to increase revenues. Meanwhile, non-frequent flyers expect a chauffeured Rolls Royce but are only willing to pay bus fare.

I'm with you, I wish this was a new beginning for airlines, but I expect most of the fee/policy changes to revert shortly after demand returns and all these loan payments start coming due.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/22/2020 at 9:04 AM, SuperSport said:

Therein lies the ugly side of American Capitalism, simply offering a quality product/service for a reasonable price where both seller and consumer feel like they've "won" the deal is not good enough. The easiest ways to keep investors happy and execs' pockets lined in a business with such thin profit margins are to continually diminish the product in the name of cost-cutting and nickel-and-dime the customer to increase revenues. Meanwhile, non-frequent flyers expect a chauffeured Rolls Royce but are only willing to pay bus fare.

I'm with you, I wish this was a new beginning for airlines, but I expect most of the fee/policy changes to revert shortly after demand returns and all these loan payments start coming due.

That is what has happened to Las Vegas Over the last dozen years. Gottdam bean counters have ruined it.