Prove Me Wrong: American Airlines is the worst domestic airline

Rougarou

2 hours ago, Scraps said:

#TeamSouthwest

Pre TSA(I know not airline specific) + SWA Early Bird Check in = winning

Worst experience I ever had was Delta about 15 yrs ago so I try to avoid them like the plague (even though they are typically ranked high on lists I believe) 

If you have the chance to hear the John Mulaney bit on Delta Airlines, I highly recommend it.  I sometimes play it from my phone speakers before the cabin doors close but loud enough that people in my row can hear it, as well as the flight attendant.  Then again, I usually have about 7 drinks before I even think about stepping on a plane.  

13 minutes ago, NWBuck said:

So a guy is claiming he doesn't know airline policies, admitting he is an idiot, and still complains/writes a column about it to gain sympathy?  Yeah, I don't feel sorry for him at all.  That's how the airline industry works.  Southwest even does this. If you don't take your first leg flights with a return flight attached to it, it cancels and is non-refundable if you do the "wanna get away?" fare. 

1 hour ago, NWBuck said:

It's morons like this who screw everything up for the rest of us who actually might have a clue.  Not even an air travel-specific moron, this guy is a complete moron.  Hey, maybe, check what time you are supposed to be there BEFORE you make any plans?

12 hours ago, Lobo said:

Okay, I don’t like that airline very much.  Valid points made by some to the contrary, I get it.  Makes sense even to a guy who doesn’t like to fly.   Everybody has a least favorite carrier of the big 4, i happened to find a thread dedicated to others that like AAL the least of the four but this isn’t the time or place to speak negatively about American   Got it   

Anyway, I’m all AirCal   

AirCal was bought by American decades ago.   Buddy of mine was a Captain there, he ended up retiring from AA

2 hours ago, pearlandhorn said:

So a guy is claiming he doesn't know airline policies, admitting he is an idiot, and still complains/writes a column about it to gain sympathy?  Yeah, I don't feel sorry for him at all.  That's how the airline industry works.  Southwest even does this. If you don't take your first leg flights with a return flight attached to it, it cancels and is non-refundable if you do the "wanna get away?" fare. 

I don't wish bad things on people, but I truly think this guy should consider driving off a bridge.  Or his wife should kill him.

He knew about this wedding, still waited to book tickets, didn't bother to check (?) the fucking invite saying what time the wedding was so he booked a shit itinerary, no-showed and expected everything to be hunky-dory?

They need to make flying much more exclusive. 

47 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

AirCal was bought by American decades ago.   Buddy of mine was a Captain there, he ended up retiring from AA

So you're saying my premiere status with AirCal isn't worth much?  Dammit!  How's Whitney Houston taking the news?  

46 minutes ago, Gardner Barnes said:

Cool story Bro:

Left midtown at 1:36 for a 3:00 flight out of jfk

Arrived at jfk at 2:35.

Through security in 10 minutes.

I fucking made it...2 minutes before the doors closed.

The only exercise I get these days is running through terminals.

Group 1 is wasted if you are the last one on and have to gate check your carry-on tho. But, what you described above can't be helped sometimes-- especially when you are ready to roll off and see your family ASAP.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NWBuck said:

These comments are gold though:

After asking them if there was anything flying into the state of Florida either that day or early the following morning (OK, more like begging like Keith Sweat in his prime), I got an early morning flight into Tampa in First Class because they canceled my flight.  I then booked a rental, then drove the hour and a half to the House of Mouse.  You needed to go full light skint to get that fixed son.  Not merely light skinned.  Be so light skinned that Drake hears of your begging and gets ideas for a new record.  LOL

Group 1 is wasted if you are the last one on and have to gate check your carry-on tho. But, what you described above can't be helped sometimes-- especially when you are ready to roll off and see your family ASAP.

Miraculously there was room.

You ain’t kidding about getting home though - my backup option was a LGA flight through Philly.

I just threw on some angry music and started sprinting. e16c38976286b2da1fae8ded0ec37c35.jpg

I've never connected through CLT and not had to be that idiot running over people allll the looooooong waaaaaay through the B terminal sections to get to the other side of E; panting out of breath as I plop into my seat and coughing and catching my breath.

Edited by Rougarou

Friend's flight had to land on the "Oh Shit" runway at IAH after significant mechanical failure mid-flight.

Apparently they had to wait over an hour after the fire was out for the wing temps to drop enough that they could tow them back to the terminal.

spacer.png

Edited by hopkinsnhorns

On 7/16/2019 at 2:25 PM, Gardner Barnes said:

Cool story Bro:

Left midtown at 1:36 for a 3:00 flight out of jfk

Arrived at jfk at 2:35.

Through security in 10 minutes.

I fucking made it...2 minutes before the doors closed.

The only exercise I get these days is running through terminals.

Did you take the Van Wyck all the way or use the Rockaway Blvd shortcut?

• Like 2

On 7/16/2019 at 4:16 PM, Rougarou said:

I've never connected through CLT and not had to be that idiot running over people allll the looooooong waaaaaay through the B terminal sections to get to the other side of E; panting out of breath as I plop into my seat and coughing and catching my breath.

Yeah, that shit is inexcusable. 

Any connection at CLT that doesn't include enough time to eat at Bojangle's can go fuck itself. 

• 3 weeks later...

To start I don't fly much so don't know hardly anything about any of this stuff.  I did have to fly for work in February.  Coming home was a disaster though.  Got to the airport at 8am.  Checked in and went to my gate.  About 45 minutes before the flight was scheduled to leave American Airlines announced that my flight had been canceled due to technical issues.  No other info.  Made my way over to the customer service desk and they get me on stand by for a flight that will get me back to DFW just in time for my connecting flight.

Barely make it on to that flight but end up sitting on the tarmac for an hour and a half due to the plane being too heavy.  Thus causing me to miss my connecting flight.  Ended up getting home at midnight that day instead of 5pm.  Was just a clusterfuck of a day.

Question though, was just telling someone about this and they said that I should have complained to AA about it as I should have gotten some kind of compensation for all of the issues.  Is that true?  If so would it be too late to call and file a complaint?

1 minute ago, txhorns said:

To start I don't fly much so don't know hardly anything about any of this stuff.  I did have to fly for work in February.  Coming home was a disaster though.  Got to the airport at 8am.  Checked in and went to my gate.  About 45 minutes before the flight was scheduled to leave American Airlines announced that my flight had been canceled due to technical issues.  No other info.  Made my way over to the customer service desk and they get me on stand by for a flight that will get me back to DFW just in time for my connecting flight.

Barely make it on to that flight but end up sitting on the tarmac for an hour and a half due to the plane being too heavy.  Thus causing me to miss my connecting flight.  Ended up getting home at midnight that day instead of 5pm.  Was just a clusterfuck of a day.

Question though, was just telling someone about this and they said that I should have complained to AA about it as I should have gotten some kind of compensation for all of the issues.  Is that true?  If so would it be too late to call and file a complaint?

LOL, you want to speak to AA about a flight that was fucked up 6 MONTHS ago?  I tell you what will be less painful, take some pliers and pull each of your toenails out with them.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

My wife (no pics) went to Vail for a girl’s weekend. 

We originally had booked her from Dallas to Vail but plans changed and we added the leg from Austin to Dallas. 

Go to check her bags in and luggage tag only goes to Dallas. They tell me that since they were booked at different times they’re not allowed to have it go all the way through. I’m like “who doesn’t allow you?” and then once worthless check in person says their own policy, call a manager over and get it changed to where my wife wouldn’t have to get bag in Dallas, check in for vail and go through security all over again. 

Tl:DR AA is really shitty

14 hours ago, BrazilHorn said:

My wife (no pics) went to Vail for a girl’s weekend. 

We originally had booked her from Dallas to Vail but plans changed and we added the leg from Austin to Dallas. 

Go to check her bags in and luggage tag only goes to Dallas. They tell me that since they were booked at different times they’re not allowed to have it go all the way through. I’m like “who doesn’t allow you?” and then once worthless check in person says their own policy, call a manager over and get it changed to where my wife wouldn’t have to get bag in Dallas, check in for vail and go through security all over again. 

Tl:DR AA is really shitty

Sounds like you need to learn how to book flights. 

• Haha 1

On 7/15/2019 at 10:42 PM, Lobo said:

Okay, I don’t like that airline very much.  Valid points made by some to the contrary, I get it.  Makes sense even to a guy who doesn’t like to fly.   Everybody has a least favorite carrier of the big 4, i happened to find a thread dedicated to others that like AAL the least of the four but this isn’t the time or place to speak negatively about American   Got it   

Anyway, I’m all AirCal   

On 7/16/2019 at 11:02 AM, Gil Bang said:

Team Hughes Air West

Delta fucked us pretty good last week.

took a vacation to see the 'rents on Cape Cod, had 2 friends that wanted to come along and visit Boston and the Cape.

Our 6am direct flight to BOS on Thursday, all checked in, everything shows ontime, expected arrival in BOS around 10:50a

My friends and I bought Fenway Park Pavillion Box seat tickets for the Thursday night game, we figured with it being a direct flight, even if there was a 7 hour delay we would be fine.

at 2am on Thursday, 2.5 hours before boarding Delta emails that they have cancelled the flight entirely, they rebooked us on United, and not expecting us to arrive around midnight ( which means we wouldnt be able to pick up our rental car until 6 am  because Logan doesnt do 24 hour car rental)

my alarm goes off at 3a to get up to the airport and I am greeted with the cancelled notice. Spent over 35 mins on the phone with Delta trying to get into Boston before 7,  no dice. somehow, even though it was the very first flight of the day, and it being 3:30 in the morning, Delta showed almost no seats available to get us to Boston.  

Finally we get booked on an ATL-BOS leg, that gets us into Logan at 7:30p, way too late to get to the game, and we eat the $100+ tickets.  Also, we had paid for the better seat option along with free drinks- Delta didnt give us anything for the new legs, not even a free drink coupon.

Return flight was also drama, return was also a direct flight from Logan to Austin, Scheduled to take off at 7:50p.

However, the inbound plane we needed to take took off 80 mins late, so our flight was delayed 80 mins.  Not the end of the world, but Delta compounded the stupid by changing our arrival gate 3 times, before finally standardizing on a gate that was occupied by a flight that was supposed to leave for London Heathrow at the same time as our original flight time. The London flight stayed at the gate for more than 90 mins late ( it was loaded, doors closed, just sitting there), meanwhile there are THREE gates that are all Delta gates around us that are all open with no flights scheduled to leave, but rather than tell the inbound flight to change to a new gate, they made those poor bastards sit on the taxiway for an hour until the London flight finally left.      We got in just shy of 3 hours late on Wed morn.

tl;dr Delta 2 direct flights attempted, one flat out cancelled and rebooked as a connecting flight, other took off 3 hours late.

Fucking southwest.  We had a late flight to New Orleans in November.  It was leaving at 9:50 and we picked it because we wouldn't have to use more vacation time.  Southwest changed it to 5:10pm overnight and now it's the last direct flight of the day to New Orleans.  Thanks assholes.

I have a question that's kinda related and doesn't warrant its own thread. But it was AA, so....I was in an aisle bulkhead seat and about an hour before landing, 2 hours after being in the air, flight attendant bitch comes up and tells me I need to switch seats with some lady in a middle seat in the back because she was having panic/anxiety issues. I wasn't ok with it, but I did it because I didn't know what else to do or want to cause a scene. I also didn't have a connection I was in danger of missing. But looking back, I think I should have told her to fuck right off. 

What say you? Was it within my right to tell flight cunt to fuck right off? Does that make me an absolute prick? I really don't care about being a prick. I try not to be, but commercial air travel is my living hell to begin with. I'd rather be on a Greyhound.  I really just want to know if I could have refused to do it. 

I would've answered back that you get extreme claustrophobia sitting in a middle seat and that's why you specifically buy the aisle seat for the extra room and ability to get up and walk around to calm your anxiety.  

I think you were within your right to tell her no but then it possibly escalates if she gets annoyed that you are "not respecting her request", which really isn't a request.

Edited by mdmost

2 hours ago, kevwun said:

Fucking southwest.  We had a late flight to New Orleans in November.  It was leaving at 9:50 and we picked it because we wouldn't have to use more vacation time.  Southwest changed it to 5:10pm overnight and now it's the last direct flight of the day to New Orleans.  Thanks assholes.

They recently changed a direct for me to a connection with terrible times and layovers.  I'm guessing it was due to the max grounding.  Anyway, they gave me a full refund, which was nice. So I can't really say anything bad about them.