Soul Food

Hook1997

Anyone have any good soul food spots?

I really like Y’all’s in Round Rock.  Their shrimp po-boy is really good!  The smothered pork chops are awesome and the fried cabbage.  It’s a good stop if you are in the area and they have jazz music in the evenings on the weekend.

• Like 1

dot's did burn, but she reopened in pflugerville on 1825 for a little bit before calling it quits due to health.  this was a couple years before she died.  

what is ya'lls? i'm intrigued...

Ross' old austin cafe is good.  it's been my go to for a bit.

Edited by gsoda3

dot's did burn, but she reopened in pflugerville on 1825 for a little bit before calling it quits due to health.  this was a couple years before she died.  

what is ya'lls? i'm intrigued...

Ross' old austin cafe is good.  it's been my go to for a bit.

Y’all’s is in the rundown strip shopping center where Flix Brewhouse is, around I-35 and Hester’s Crossing.

14 hours ago, scottsins said:

Y’all’s is in the rundown strip shopping center where Flix Brewhouse is, around I-35 and Hester’s Crossing.

oh interesting we're there a lot, i've never noticed it.  will have to report back.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I so remember Dot's. Used to work close (a 100 years ago) and loved it. Was kinda disappointed when I realized "soul food" was what grew up eating. 

I always thought I didn't like collard greens and have recently been shown the light. If you have a goto recipe I would love to have it for next week when I do crappie, pintos, hush puppies and greens. 

43 minutes ago, Shaddie said:

I so remember Dot's. Used to work close (a 100 years ago) and loved it. Was kinda disappointed when I realized "soul food" was what grew up eating. 

I always thought I didn't like collard greens and have recently been shown the light. If you have a goto recipe I would love to have it for next week when I do crappie, pintos, hush puppies and greens. 

Go get @ChampKind's greens at Buck's BBQ in Houston (well, Galveston now).  They are other worldly.

But beware-- you're gonna have to sit at a table to order. ;)

3 hours ago, Shaddie said:

best collard greens i've had were at ruby's bbq - now closed down.  recipe i found for them:

• 1 ham hock
  • 2 teaspoons cayenne
  • 3 bunches collard greens, cleaned and torn or cut into pieces
  • 1 tablespoons cider vinegar
  • 1 teaspoons salt
  • 1 tablespoons sugar
  • 3 tablespoons butter
  • 1 medium onion, sliced
  • 3 tablespoons garlic, minced

Use only fresh, unblemished, brightly colored greens. Discard any bruised or discolored leaves. Get rid of the heavy stems. Wash greens in several fresh water baths—the first two baths should be slightly warm to remove sand and grit effectively. The last bath should be cold. Always lift the greens from the water, never just drain off. Be sure to remove the main rib before tearing or cutting the leaves.

Scrub and clean the ham hocks with a vegetable brush under cold running water. Dust with 1 teaspoon cayenne. Place it in a large pot with cold water to cover. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until tender—about 45 minutes to 1 hour. Add more water if necessary. Meat should be very tender (not springy or tough) and about to fall from the bone.

When the ham hock is cooked, add the prepared greens, cider vinegar, salt, sugar and remaining teaspoon of cayenne to the pot.

Lower the heat and simmer until nearly tender, approximately 45–60 minutes. Stir occasionally and periodically check the greens for tenderness—they should tear easily with a fork when done. If undercooked, they will have a bitter taste and a chewy texture.

In a saucepan, or cast-iron skillet, heat the butter and add the onion. Cook slowly over low heat, covered, and stir often until the onion is well softened. Add the garlic and continue to cook until the mixture is slightly caramelized. 

Add the caramelized onion and garlic to the greens, and cook another 10–15 minutes. When finished, remove the ham hock and, when cool enough to handle, tear or cut the meat into small bite-size pieces. Caution should be used to avoid getting any bone fragments or pieces into the greens. Add the meat back into the greens and stir to distribute.
  • Like 2