Cooperstown/Baseball HOF

Carl Spackler

Where are you staying?

Near Cooperstown I recommend Council Rock Brewery for food and beer.  Cooperstown Brewing, Red Shed Brewing, & Brewery Ommegang for beer.  All south of the village and require a drive.   You can do it in a simple loop.

In Cooperstown village itself the Main Street strip and the HOF itself are must sees.  I’d also recommend walking down to Otsego Lake (aka Lake Glimmerglass from the James Fenimore Cooper sagas), the source of the Susquehanna River.   I also like the New York State Historical Society’s “Farmers Museum.”   

If you are staying in Oneonta, “Brooks BBQ” is famous for their chicken.  Just south of Oneonta is the NW edge of the Catskills and some surprising gems.   “Breakfast Club” in the tiny village of Jefferson for breakfast, “Tulip and Rose” in Franklin for dinner (menu changes weekly, check online on Tuesdays for new menu), “Sal’s Meat Center” in Bloomville for subs, “Table on Ten” also in Bloomville for oven fired pizza (way limited hours & reservations required ), “Mama Maria’s” north of Stamford for “east coast” pizza.

Edited by Sundodger
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Sundodger said:

Where are you staying?

Near Cooperstown I recommend Council Rock Brewery for food and beer.  Cooperstown Brewing, Red Shed Brewing, & Brewery Ommegang for beer.  All south of the village and require a drive.   You can do it in a simple loop.

In Cooperstown village itself the Main Street strip and the HOF itself are must sees.  I’d also recommend walking down to Otsego Lake (aka Lake Glimmerglass from the James Fenimore Cooper sagas), the source of the Susquehanna River.   I also like the New York State Historical Society’s “Farmers Museum.”   

If you are staying in Oneonta, “Brooks BBQ” is famous for their chicken.  Just south of Oneonta is the NW edge of the Catskills and some surprising gems.   “Breakfast Club” in the tiny village of Jefferson for breakfast, “Tulip and Rose” in Franklin for dinner (menu changes weekly, check online on Tuesdays for new menu), “Sal’s Meat Center” in Bloomville for subs, “Table on Ten” also in Bloomville for oven fired pizza (way limited hours & reservations required ), “Mama Maria’s” north of Stamford for “east coast” pizza.

Staying at a place about 7 miles north of C-town on the lake.  We'll have a car and some extra time, so we may be able to make it down to the Oneonta area.  Thx for the recs. 

• 2 months later...
On 4/11/2019 at 1:01 PM, Spankytoes said:

It's an interesting 30 minute visit. 

9 hours ago, Carl Spackler said:

We spent about 8 hours there and could have gone on even longer were it not for hunger pangs.  My boy and I had a blast there.

I went 25 years ago on my day off as a camp counselor. The oldest age group went and I tagged along. 

I remember that the town seemed Norman Rockwell-esque, there was a ball field attached, I think I saw some bats and gloves in addition to some bronze busts, and then I went to that one store that had a bunch of minor league baseball caps for sale. I think that I went into a place that had a lot of autographed baseballs for sale. 

I may never forget that visit. 

Edited by Napoleon

9 hours ago, Napoleon said:

I went 25 years ago on my day off as a camp counselor. The oldest age group went and I tagged along. 

I remember that the town seemed Norman Rockwell-esque, there was a ball field attached, I think I saw some bats and gloves in addition to some bronze busts, and then I went to that one store that had a bunch of minor league baseball caps for sale. I think that I went into a place that had a lot of autographed baseballs for sale. 

I may never forget that visit. 

They've renovated and expanded the museum since then -- it's nice and new.  The town is still quaint, though Main Street is touristy (which is to be expected).  The old ballpark is still near the HOF, though no game was going on when we were there.    

It sounds like you are enjoying your trip.  If the weather is cooperating staying on Lake Otsego is great.   Late winter is also great along the lake when you can ice fish.

I’ll be in Cooperstown in a few weeks to see Edgar Martinez get inducted into the HOF  with a bunch of pitchers he dominated against such as Mariano Rivera and Mike Mussina.