Internet Nostalgia Thread

MaybeACoordinator

43 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Ah good call with the Alta Vista. Also Ask Jeeves, but that was slightly later.

So, did any of y’all watch that show on National Geographic called “Valley of the Boom”? It was about the browser “wars” of the 90s. Steve Zahn was in it. Not the best, but still pulled on the nostalgia strings.

I remember the trailer for it, but for some reason never actually watched. I might have to go check it out now.

The browser wars were second only to the processor wars. I remember they couldn't get products to market before they were obsolete for a good two or three year stretch there going from 386s to 486s. It finally slowed down once the Pentium processors hit.

2 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

I still use my Hotmail and Yahoo email accounts. Probably will until I die.

We had a guy on a conference call last year mention he was away from his work computer so send something to his personal address, which was something like joe.doe@hotmail.com.  I non-nonchalantly asked him "That's 'mail', right?" 

A few in the room and on the call got it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, G650 said:

That's strong. I've got one friend still rocking an AOL email.

My brother still uses his AOL, it's the only one he's ever had other than I guess he had one with the state up until he retired. My Hotmail account is still my go-to as a throwdown gun.

First experience for me was connecting to AOL using a 2600baud modem on a mac running system 7.  I've yet to get over the amazement of computers talking to other computers...  We had a phone line that was DFW metro instead of Waxahachie so we could connect.  It looked kinda like this:
AOL-Then-version-2-0-in-1994-and-1-0-dis

AOL Keyword Internet would give you access to some FTP sites as well as Gopher.  I had no idea what that was, but it awesome.

I went to college in the early-to-mid '90s and this was installed on every computer in the computer labs:

Doom cover art.jpg

All the nerds were playing this, all the time.  

edit: it just occurred to me that Doom isn't strictly internet-related, but I remember playing Doom over the internet using Kali, and so many games, including Doom, were emerging that utilized the "shareware" model of distribution.

Edited by DocZaius

18 hours ago, DocZaius said:

I went to college in the early-to-mid '90s and this was installed on every computer in the computer labs:

Doom cover art.jpg

edit: it just occurred to me that Doom isn't strictly internet-related, but I remember playing Doom over the internet using Kali, and so many games, including Doom, were emerging that utilized the "shareware" model of distribution.

I can remember the fist time I saw Doom like it was yesterday.

On 4/21/2019 at 11:12 AM, HornsOverIthaca said:

First experience for me was connecting to AOL using a 2600baud modem on a mac running system 7.  I've yet to get over the amazement of computers talking to other computers...  We had a phone line that was DFW metro instead of Waxahachie so we could connect.  It looked kinda like this:
AOL-Then-version-2-0-in-1994-and-1-0-dis

AOL Keyword Internet would give you access to some FTP sites as well as Gopher.  I had no idea what that was, but it awesome.

on a Mac and didn't use eWorld?? for shame..

EWorld_Main_Screen.png

On 4/22/2019 at 7:36 AM, Parliament said:

Just be glad you did not have to use the actual modem commands to establish the connection.

ATDT - Attention There - Dial Tone    And a few other obscure modem commands just to get the connection.  And then ftp and other fun commands to get stuff.  All of this was before Mosaic so way before Netscape - like 1992,  And yep I guess I'm old... 

• Like 1

On 4/22/2019 at 3:04 PM, DocZaius said:

Doom cover art.jpg

I spent $2400 on a new pentium tower just to play doom