Disney+ (Disney's new streaming service)

mdmost

43 minutes ago, Baboontyme said:

I'm surprised they're not moving all of their Disney channel sitcom reruns there. My kids watch the crap out of some Liv and Maddie, Bunkd, etc.

With the Simpsons getting picked up by Disney, are they doing away with the Springfield thing they had at Universal? I was pitching to my son that I think they need to open an entire "land" at DHS for Springfield complete with a  monorail coaster. Or maybe Otto's wild bus ride. 

I'm sure Phlegm will be along shortly to tell you about the exclusivity that Universal has to those and Marvel rides in Florida. 

No but he's always the keeper of all things Orlando parks related. Disney only have Marvel ride and IP for parks in the US that are west of Florida. That's why you won't see Spiderman or any existing Marvel properties like Spiderman in Walt Disney World. Only something that was done after the contract like Guardians can be at WDW. So anything Simpson related can't be at WDW either. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Gene Parmesan said:

We have Netflix so they have plenty to watch.  This is being hyped as a game changer, so I was trying to figure out what I will be missing.  Outside of the Star Wars stuff which I can live without, it seems to just be access to Disney movies.  That's cool but completely unnecessary for our entertainment needs.

If you were a cable-cutter, and/or were a more casual fan of Marvel, Star Wars, Disney, Pixar, some Fox properties, as in you liked the movies and shows, but weren't picking up the DVDs/Blu-rays or buying them digitally, and maybe didn't even see all of them in the theater or on TV, it's extremely appealing.  

For instance, my wife has seen probably a quarter of the Marvel MCU movies, but now if they are all available in one place, and with winter here, and holidays coming up, she might be willing to work her way through a bunch she had not seen.  Maybe even start over and go through all of them.  I'd be willing to bet there's a shitload of more casual movie-goers in the same boat - not interesting in spending money on every MCU movie in the theater, but willing to give them a look if they are easily available.

There's a lot of older stuff being streamed on Disney+ that was not easily accessible to a lot of us, unless we were willing to buy a copy (possibly even used at a ridiculous price, since some of it's not currently in print) or schlepp over to our local library for a DVD that was probably scratched to hell and back by countless kids.  I'm not interested in buying Rebels for us to watch (I've seen much of it through afore-mentioned library copies), but if it's available, I'm willing to watch it with my son.

Toss in a couple of live-action shows I am interested in, toss in some documentaries my wife is interested in, and a shit-ton of Disney stuff my kids have never seen, and yeah, it's a bit of a game-changer for us.

It would be awesome if they made a bunch of old ABC stuff available through Hulu, like 1970s and 80s stuff, into the 90s, that I watched as a kid up through early adult years.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Baboontyme said:

I'm surprised they're not moving all of their Disney channel sitcom reruns there. My kids watch the crap out of some Liv and Maddie, Bunkd, etc.

With the Simpsons getting picked up by Disney, are they doing away with the Springfield thing they had at Universal? I was pitching to my son that I think they need to open an entire "land" at DHS for Springfield complete with a  monorail coaster. Or maybe Otto's wild bus ride. 

My guess is that somehow these are tied up with deals with cable/netflix, etc.

The Mandalorian alone would be worth the price for me, but I'm a nerd.

12 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

If you were a cable-cutter, and/or were a more casual fan of Marvel, Star Wars, Disney, Pixar, some Fox properties, as in you liked the movies and shows, but weren't picking up the DVDs/Blu-rays or buying them digitally, and maybe didn't even see all of them in the theater or on TV, it's extremely appealing.  

For instance, my wife has seen probably a quarter of the Marvel MCU movies, but now if they are all available in one place, and with winter here, and holidays coming up, she might be willing to work her way through a bunch she had not seen.  Maybe even start over and go through all of them.  I'd be willing to bet there's a shitload of more casual movie-goers in the same boat - not interesting in spending money on every MCU movie in the theater, but willing to give them a look if they are easily available.

There's a lot of older stuff being streamed on Disney+ that was not easily accessible to a lot of us, unless we were willing to buy a copy (possibly even used at a ridiculous price, since some of it's not currently in print) or schlepp over to our local library for a DVD that was probably scratched to hell and back by countless kids.  I'm not interested in buying Rebels for us to watch (I've seen much of it through afore-mentioned library copies), but if it's available, I'm willing to watch it with my son.

Toss in a couple of live-action shows I am interested in, toss in some documentaries my wife is interested in, and a shit-ton of Disney stuff my kids have never seen, and yeah, it's a bit of a game-changer for us.

It would be awesome if they made a bunch of old ABC stuff available through Hulu, like 1970s and 80s stuff, into the 90s, that I watched as a kid up through early adult years.

They won't have all the mcu movies for quite a while, certainly not this winter. Just fyi

1 hour ago, seven said:

They won't have all the mcu movies for quite a while, certainly not this winter. Just fyi

Yeah, they are missing some odd ones that sound like issues with distributors/deal.  They are even supposedly going to run some at the start, but then have to release them back for a while to other channels/services.  They will eventually have the bulk of them though.

They are even running some ad for Starz as part of a deal to run some stuff (think it was a Star Wars movie or something).

One rumor said going forward, that Marvel/Star Wars/Pixar/etc. will have their theatrical runs, then instead of hitting premium services, will hit Disney+.  That's going to be interesting for the premium services, but most of them are busting ass on making their own content anyways (and HBO is tied to Warner Brothers).

Another rumor said they may even skip 3rd-party rental services (Amazon, etc.) and either do a new tier for Disney+, or do rentals through Disney+.  That makes a lot of sense if they are on all the relevant devices.

So as long as you have a Roku or another streaming device you'll be able to get this right?

And it's more than worth it based on the price, especially if you add in Hulu with it.  They'll have tons of original programming, like Netflix/Amazon/Hulu, ect...I can see people saying it's just "star wars" now...but I think it'll be up with the other before long.

2 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

same..we use hulu live and i have espn+ for fcs football. dont really want to double pay 

They say to bundle will be available when they go live, A guy somewhere (reddit?) said that he called Hulu and actually got a person on the phone, they said they had no information about the bundle, just that it will be available on launch day.

On 11/8/2019 at 9:56 AM, seven said:

They made a big update today of what’s launching tomorrow.  Looks like they threw some cash around.  

Iron Man

Iron Man 2

Thor

Captain America: The First Avenger

The Avengers

Iron Man 3

Thor: The Dark World

Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Guardians of the Galaxy

Avengers: Age of Ultron

Ant-Man

Captain America: Civil War

Doctor Strange

Guardians of the Galaxy: Vol. 2

Captain Marvel

Avengers: Endgame

Coming in 2020: Black Panther, Ant-Man and the Wasp, Infinity War and Thor Ragnarok 

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

The only MCU movies they don’t have are the Hulk and the Spidey solo movies.  

Wish this thing had launched tonight, with all of the shitty weather.  

Well that's a pleasant surprise, I wasn't going to sub until they had them all, but that's close enough considering the challenges of the last 2.

Just now, seven said:

Well that's a pleasant surprise, I wasn't going to sub until they had them all, but that's close enough considering the challenges of the last 2.

People claimed that Disney made deals with Netflix and others - Disney gets certain stuff back for launch tomorrow, and then release it back to those services later on.   Based on what was announced today, looks like those rumors were right.   

On 11/9/2019 at 1:37 PM, Red Five said:

Will I eventually be able to sign up for the free trial, binge the Madalorian, and then cancel? 

If you wait until all the episodes have come out, I would guess so.  They're going to be released weekly not all at once, same as the other Disney+ originals.

Edited by LonghornSean

2 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

It’s strange to me that the app is not available in advance. It seems like they are asking for a big strain on resources for people to have to download it and set up their account on the same day that content becomes available.

the app is only a few tens of megabytes.  big fucking deal.

I can get it on my phone. Haven't tried the Apple TV yet. Probably will have to wait till later. Can't wait to digest The Mandalorian. 

I was able to download to Roku and phone around 2am (insomnia) and watch The Mandalorian on the 4K Roku TV. But I can’t log in on my phone now.

1e069b77a229e21e5a3b504e5309c23e.jpg

2 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

This post did not age well.

are people having problems downloading the app from apple's, amazon's, or roku's app store? 

edit: just got it from google's app store in under 3 seconds.  all of 10.69 MB.  again, downloading the app isn't the problem. 

Edited by elfenix