Disney+ (Disney's new streaming service)

mdmost

1 hour ago, Post Oak said:

I've had some issues with the app freezing and not loading a movie (somewhat expected)

I really like the UI.  So far I'm excited

Yeah, although I don't think you get a good sense of just how much content there is until you go into search. I'm not sure how they could improve that though.

Also, pain in the ass to get profiles setup, as everything kept timing out.

are people having problems downloading the app from apple's, amazon's, or roku's app store? 

edit: just got it from google's app store in under 3 seconds.  all of 10.69 MB.  again, downloading the app isn't the problem. 

I had to reboot my phone before the app showed up.

Haven't really gotten into it too much but set it up on both my Xbox and LG smart TV app, trying to see which gets the better 4K picture. Not much of difference honestly, but seems like the Smart TV slightly better since it had Dolby Vision, although it's not hardwired to my internet like my Xbox is so had a couple stoppages for buffering.

Browsing through the catalog gets me pretty excited as a huge Disney nerd.

Noticed the documentary "Waking Sleeping Beauty" is on there.  I've seen it before but it's great. About the revitalization of the company and animation department during the late 80's/early 90's ("Disney renaissance") period, which coincided with the corporate rivalry between Michael Eisner, Jeffrey Katzenberg, and Roy Disney.  Would recommend:

I have had very little time to look at it, but a bunch of movies have "Extras", that were from the DVDs/Blu-rays, and some of the newer stuff has extras that were not on the DVDs/Blu-rays.  Very nice.

But it makes me wonder, since Disney stopped physical media sales of some properties (Simpsons supposedly), if they are doing the same here.  Just ditch their whole concept of the "the vault" and physical sales, and keep everything tied to Disney+ (probably raising the price in a year or two).

Just rolled my Hulu sub into this, git the nice notice posted above that it’ll combine my bill for me. I was ready to have to cancel and resub and move shot around... whew.

Family is ready for the Mandalorian tonight.

Also the Tron movies hopefully but I don’t know if they’ll be available here.

Also now I have ESPN+ finally

3 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Yeah, although I don't think you get a good sense of just how much content there is until you go into search. I'm not sure how they could improve that though.

Also, pain in the ass to get profiles setup, as everything kept timing out.

Agreed.  I'm going to have to spend some time with it tonight to get more familiar with it

7 hours ago, immamac said:

Ok so I'm going to have an affiliate link. Disney sent me an email directly be on the lookout for it in this thread. If you sign up for a year you get TreeFiddy for a year for free and if you sign up for a trial you get it for the trial month. 

Nice

49 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

So the smart move here would be to cut the cords cord and use ota/Disney +bundle for 70 a year vs hulu live for 48/ month and not watch 70% of those channels

Looks like it...probably Netflix if you really want everything.

My mom has Amazon Prime with CBS All Access(Star Trek stuff) and HBO(for whatever they have) so I see no reason for cable other than football.

49 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Wouldn’t mind a sort by decade. There’s a lot old shit I can only remember bits and pieces from and that may make it easier to find.

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2019/11/12/media/disney-plus-review/index.html

I don't have the service but the link has this passage:

When you use Disney+'s search option, the service will offer "Disney Collections," curated libraries that sort programming into different categories.

Fans of The Muppets can click on the Muppets collection in search and find a list of films and TV shows starring Kermit and Miss Piggy.

There is a collection for Disney Nature, one for the the Skywalker Saga from Star Wars and my personal favorite, Disney Through the Decades, which organizes Disney's content by decade starting with the 1920's.

• Like 1

Sis in law won a free year of the channel in some drawing; she sent me a pic of the card with the code.

Redeemed the card, set up an account, downloaded the app to the Apple TV, and wife and I just finished The Mandalorian (no spoiler: not bad at all).

Seamless here.  Maybe all the issues of earlier today have been sorted.

Yeah this has worked out pretty well in my house, especially with the snow day. 10 yo came down into my lair tonight while I was watching football just beaming saying how much he loves it. According to him he watched all or parts of Snow White, the sword and the stone, old yeller, Jesse episodes, and the Simpsons movie today. I wanted to get mad that he didn't spend more time outside but it was like 12 with the wind chill. Also I watched s1 e1 of the Imagineering docu and it was pretty amazing. It's unfathomable how this all came to be. Absolutely fascinating. 

• Like 1

Hot damn I forgot about ducktales!

Pretty awesome. It’s like I’m a kid again. In for TaleSpin and Goof Troop as well. 

Noticed darkwing duck and rescue rangers as well. 

See these are the types of cartoons I want my girls to discover with this. Last night they just kept defaulting to all the modern Disney Junior bullshit.
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Okie State said:

See these are the types of cartoons I want my girls to discover with this. Last night they just kept defaulting to all the modern Disney Junior bullshit.

All my 4 year-old daughter wants to watch is Doc McStuffins and Fancy Fuckin' Nancy.  We only allow her to watch so much a day, and that's what she would rather spend her time on.

• Like 1