Disney+ (Disney's new streaming service)

mdmost

I think I have my maths right.

We currently have Hulu no ads for $11.99, and I pay $4.99 for ESPN+ for some OSU basketball and baseball games.

The bundle as I understand it if you have an existing Hulu account would be Hulu no ads $11.99, plus $12.99 for the bundle, and they discount the cost of Hulu with ads ($5.99).

So I currently pay $11.99 + $4.99 = $16.98

If I bundle it would be $11.99 + $12.99 - $5.99 = $18.99

So I can basically get Disney + for an extra $2 a month. If that's right, seems like a no brainier.

They're reportedly showing cropped versions of the simpsons

https://www.polygon.com/2019/11/12/20962035/disney-plus-simpsons-episodes-aspect-ratio-crop

First, a little background: The Simpsons debuted in 1989, back when every TV on the market was in the “square” or “fullscreen” aspect ratio of 4:3, with a resolution known as “standard definition.” The show didn’t make the switch to widescreen 16:9 high definition until February 2009, halfway through its 20th season.

Those first 19.5 seasons of The Simpsons comprise a total of 429 pre-HD episodes — nearly two-thirds of the 661 that are currently available on Disney Plus. But on the streaming service, they’re only viewable in a 16:9 aspect ratio. The modified episodes are the result of a “remastering” process that is meant to translate the show into HD with improved color and clarity. But in many cases, the conversion to widescreen simply involves chopping off the top and bottom of the original image and/or stretching it to fit a 16:9 aspect ratio — which crops out some of the show’s cleverest sight gags.

https://twitter.com/TristanACooper/status/1194298167824650240

Edited by Viper

23 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I think I have my maths right.

We currently have Hulu no ads for $11.99, and I pay $4.99 for ESPN+ for some OSU basketball and baseball games.

The bundle as I understand it if you have an existing Hulu account would be Hulu no ads $11.99, plus $12.99 for the bundle, and they discount the cost of Hulu with ads ($5.99).

So I currently pay $11.99 + $4.99 = $16.98

If I bundle it would be $11.99 + $12.99 - $5.99 = $18.99

So I can basically get Disney + for an extra $2 a month. If that's right, seems like a no brainier.

I haven't tried to figure it out, but here's the email I got:

Disney Bundle: Disney+, Hulu, and ESPN+
PRICE BREAKDOWN
Disney bundle price: $12.99
Credit for existing subscriptions: $5.99
Disney bundle subtotal: $7.00
Tax: $0.00
Total: $7.00

4 minutes ago, Baboontyme said:

I haven't tried to figure it out, but here's the email I got:

Disney Bundle: Disney+, Hulu, and ESPN+
PRICE BREAKDOWN
Disney bundle price: $12.99
Credit for existing subscriptions: $5.99
Disney bundle subtotal: $7.00
Tax: $0.00
Total: $7.00

You would also be paying the full cost of your current Hulu subscription, the credit is to offset the lower tier Hulu. So my math looks right. $11.99 Hulu plus $7 = $18.99.

So my wife says we use my in-laws' direct TV login for the Disney Now app which is all my kids really need. We're not Star Wars fans and we rarely watch full Disney movies. So we'll hold off for now and see how it evolves. Even at $2 it looks like we really wouldn't use it at all.

We are looking at switching over to a streaming service(s), what would you guys recommend?  Looking for mainly the channels for college football ( ESPN, ESPN 2, FS1, CBSSN, and I guess LHN ) they 4 main channels of ABC, NBC, FOX, CBS and Fox Sports Southwest for Rangers baseball.  Wife (no pics) mainly watches HGTV, Food Network, and Hallmark.  Kids like Nick Jr and would like TBS/TNT for March Madness.  That's pretty much what we are looking for.  Would YoutubeTV be good for that?  Also probably going to go with Disney+ for family stuff to watch.

14 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

We are looking at switching over to a streaming service(s), what would you guys recommend?  Looking for mainly the channels for college football ( ESPN, ESPN 2, FS1, CBSSN, and I guess LHN ) they 4 main channels of ABC, NBC, FOX, CBS and Fox Sports Southwest for Rangers baseball.  Wife (no pics) mainly watches HGTV, Food Network, and Hallmark.  Kids like Nick Jr and would like TBS/TNT for March Madness.  That's pretty much what we are looking for.  Would YoutubeTV be good for that?  Also probably going to go with Disney+ for family stuff to watch.

Youtube TV has been amazing for me, has all the sports minus LHN. $49 a month, not crazy. Fiancee gets her channels too, they do not have Hallmark or Lifetime, but most other chicks channels like TLC and E!, plus cooking channels. 

Been loving Disney +. Binge watching Simpsons now. Can't help but wonder if the price will stay this low for long, what a steal! 

Edited by hundredTT

1 minute ago, hundredTT said:

Youtube TV has been amazing for me, has all the sports minus LHN. $49 a month, not crazy. Fiancee gets her channels too, they do not have Hallmark or Lifetime, but most other chicks channels like TLC and E!, plus cooking 

I've heard YouTubeTV doesn't have Hallmark, but that you can add it along with maybe a few more in a bundle for $5 more.

5 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

YouTubeTV is great 

I just forced my kids to watch the shows I loved as a kid.  They weren't really interested but it was a great bonding experience.

My daughter is 14 and has zero interest in my childhood shows/movies...

My 7yo boy got interested this week in the Tron movies, Flight of the Navigator, the Black hole and Willow. The cartoons not so much but I’ll take the whole as a win

17 minutes ago, Constant said:

The app is in need of a ‘continue watching’ feature that keeps your current viewing queued at the top of the menus after leaving the app. 

agreed. also would be nice if it remembered where I left off. I paused the movie and had to go do something and it eventually disconnected from my chromecast and I had to search to get back to the spot I was in.

9 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I was watching a natgeo deep ocean doc and switched tvs and from Roku to Apple TV, and when I pressed play it jumped to where I had stopped. But I didn’t have a resume/start over option, just play. And I had to hunt it down first. 

Yeah, it’ll pick up where you left off but you gotta go find it again. Small annoyance that could be easily fixed in an update. Overall i’m beyond pleased with it. 

agreed. also would be nice if it remembered where I left off. I paused the movie and had to go do something and it eventually disconnected from my chromecast and I had to search to get back to the spot I was in.

I share my account with my neighbor and they apparently started the Mandalorian right before us because when I clicked on Play it started 8 minutes in.

I share my account with my neighbor and they apparently started the Mandalorian right before us because when I clicked on Play it started 8 minutes in.

On 11/13/2019 at 3:27 PM, Elmer_Fudd said:

We have a grandfathered DirectvNow/AT&Tnow plan for $40/mo + free HBO (that we hardly watch) for having ATT cell phones; but Hulu Live has all the same channels for $44.99 it seems. If there is a bundle of Hulu Live with Disney+ and ESPN+ in the $50/mo range, I may switch. 

1 hour ago, Duval Street said:

Watched Lady and the Tramp last night just to see what they would replace the Siamese Cat Song with.  The tune wasn't bad at all, but fuck pc.  At least they kept the dog pound song, and still sounded close to the Peggy Lee original.

They edited that out? Wonder what they replaced What makes the red man red with in Peter Pan. 

Wife wanted to watch some Apple stuff, so OK, will probably cancel that after a while.  And then begrudgingly I decided to go ahead and subscribe to this since there are going to be kids over this weekend (and we were going to eventually have to watch The Mandolorian anyways) and... holy shit this is a lot of stuff.  A lot of good stuff..

16 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

Wife wanted to watch some Apple stuff, so OK, will probably cancel that after a while.  And then begrudgingly I decided to go ahead and subscribe to this since there are going to be kids over this weekend (and we were going to eventually have to watch The Mandolorian anyways) and... holy shit this is a lot of stuff.  A lot of good stuff..

Hit up the Search menu and look at all of the categories, such as Disney through the years or whatever.  There is truly a shit-ton of stuff.  And they spent a lot of time on polishing up the service, especially given that this company owns Hulu (one of the not-so-good interfaces).  All of the menus, categories, offerings, have nice graphics, the web interface is better than expected - if I come across a movie I think my son will like, I can simply switch profiles, and the movie will still be front-and-center, and I can just add it to his, and then click my profile and switch back to where I was.

21 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

But there’s a comment at the end of the descriptions that says something like ‘th is is presented as originally created and may have some culturally insensitive content.’

When I see that notice, either I chuckle given the movie/show, or I want to watch it to see what the hell they are talking about.  Just a few of the ones I've come across.

• Bone Bandit - 1948 - 6m - Family, Comedy, Animation: Pluto's efforts to bury the bone with Minnie are frustrated by his allergy to goldenrod, and by a gopher who is after Pluto's bone.  This program is presented as originally created.  It may contain outdated cultural depictions.
  • Mickey Down Under - 1948 - 6m - Family, Comedy, Animation: Mickey and Pluto are exploring in Australia.  When Mickey throws a boomerang, it gets caught in the mouth of a boonga.  While Mickey tries to get it out, Pluto is chased around by a dingo.  This program is presented as originally created.  It may contain outdated cultural depictions.
  • Spin and Marty: 1955 - 1 Season - Western Coming of Age, Family, Buddy: The 'Adventures of Spin and Marty' centers around a summer camp with a western theme at Triple R Ranch.  Spin is a regular at the camp, who loves the outdoors and is popular with the older female ranch visitors.  Marty is a spoiled rich boy who's never ridden a horse before, and has never been ridden himself.  The boys go on trips and compete in rodeos and learn what it's like to go up against cougars day-after-day during an eventful summer.  This program is presented as originally created.  It may contain outdated cultural depictions.
  • Davy Crockett and the River Pirates: 1956 - 1h 21m - Historical, Romantic, Family, Action-Adventure: It's a rip-roaring adventure for Davy Crockett - "King of the Wild Frontier" - and his trusty companion George as they share the risks, share a bed, and fight off bandits that are interested in more than their fur pelts.  After a boat captain challenges them to a race down the Ohio and Mississippi Rivers, the two gather a team to ensure their victory.  A win lands them a free ride upriver, but the adventurers have no idea what's ahead - buggery!  This program is presented as originally created.  It may contain outdated cultural depictions.
  • Goofy: How to Fish: 1942 - 7m - Sports, Family, Comedy, Kids, Animation:  Goofy's demonstration of fishing is fouled up by his clumsy casting and fly fishing, and problems with his boat.  This program is presented as originally created.  It may contain outdated cultural depictions.
  • Mickey Mouse: Hawaiian Wedding - 1937 - 8m - Family, Comedy, Animation: Mickey and the gang experience Hawaii through hula dancing and the beach.  This program is presented as originally created.  It may contain outdated cultural depictions.
  • Darby O'Gill and the Little People: 1959 - 1h 30m - Romance, Family, Fantasy: A frisky old bog jumper named Darby O'Gill is desperately seeking the proverbial pot of gold.  There's just one tiny thing standing in his way: a 21-inch leprechaun named King Brian.  To get the gold, the potato-eater must match his wits against the shrewd little carrot-topped trickster - which proves no small task, indeed!  This program is presented as originally created.  It may contain outdated cultural depictions.
  • Old Yeller: 1957 - 1h 23m - Western Drama, Family, Animals & Nature: When his younger brother adopts a frisky stray dog, 15 year-old Travis ties to shoo him away.  But Old Yeller soon proves he is anything but "yellow" when he protects the family farm and saves Travis' life.  Travis must later cure Old Yeller's rabies with a big, pointy stick.  A family classic for the ages!  This program is presented as originally created.  It may contain outdated cultural depictions.