Disney+ (Disney's new streaming service)

mdmost

Rumor going around that Ewan McGregor is out of the Obi Wan series due to creative differences. Obviously no McGregor would mean the show is dead.

That would really suck.  But of course could just be one person throwing that out without inside info and other blogs or twitter peeps recirculating it.

edit: unsurprisingly and thankfully, not true

Edited by LonghornSean

37 minutes ago, LonghornSean said:

Rumor going around that Ewan McGregor is out of the Obi Wan series due to creative differences. Obviously no McGregor would mean the show is dead.

That would really suck.  But of course could just be one person throwing that out without inside info and other blogs or twitter peeps recirculating it.

edit: unsurprisingly and thankfully, not true

Please tell me this isn’t true. Please. God. no.

Uh-oh. https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/obi-wan-kenobi-series-hold-as-calls-goes-new-scripts-1272499?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

Obi-Wan Kenobi Series on Hold as Calls Go Out for New Scripts

JANUARY 23, 2020 4:26PM by Borys Kit

Ewan McGregor and director Deborah Chow remain attached to the Disney+ project.

Disney+ and Lucasfilm’s Star Wars series centered on Obi-Wan Kenobi has been put on hold as the companies attempt a retooling, multiple sources tell The Hollywood Reporter. The effort, in which Ewan McGregor is set to reprise his role of the famed Jedi Knight, was in the throes of preproduction.

The project had Hossein Amini writing and a director in Deborah Chow, who became the first-ever female Star Wars director thanks to her work on Disney+’s buzzy series The Mandalorian. Sources say that the show was even screen-testing actors opposite McGregor.

Sources tell THR that the scripts — only two were written — and story became an issue and that the entire package has been jettisoned. Lucasfilm is now on the hunt for a new writer to pen the series. At the same time, sources say the project is being reconfigured from six episodes to four.

It is unclear when the show will ramp up again, although insiders stress that McGregor remains attached to star and Chow remains on as director. Disney had no comment.

The development follows social media rumors a week ago that the series was cancelled. Those posts proved premature, but did expose the project was facing problems.

It is unclear why scripts became an issue so late in the process. One source said the Kenobi story trod similar ground as The Mandalorian, seeing the Jedi master lending a protective hand to a young Luke and possible even a young Leia, perhaps mirroring how the Mandalorian took Baby Yoda under his protective custody. 

Disney had never unveiled an expected release date for the Obi-Wan series. Hours after the news broke, IGN caught McGregor at an event, and he told the outlet he did not expect the release of the series would be delayed, but noted filming would shift from this summer to January 2021.

"It’s just slid to next year, that’s all. The scripts were really good," McGregor said. "Now that Episode IX came out and everyone at Lucasfilm has got more time to spend on the writing, they felt they wanted more time to write the episodes."

Last August, McGregor surprised Star Wars fans by walking out onstage at D23 to confirm that he would be playing Kenobi once more. The actor had flirted for years with a return to the character after last playing the role in 2005's Star Wars: Episode III – Revenge of the Sith.

In 2017, THR broke the news that Disney and Lucasfilm was developing a spinoff film to be directed by Oscar winner Stephen Daldry, but those plans were scrapped after the poor performance of another stand-alone, Solo: A Star Wars Story (2018), which grossed $392 million worldwide. 

The Obi-Wan news comes as Disney and Lucasfilm are at a crossroads with Star Wars. The franchise has been put on pause, at least in terms of the big screen, following December's Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, which concluded the nine-film saga that began in 1977 and was greeted with mixed reaction. Though the pic has earned $1.03 billion globally to date, it is on track to be the lowest-grossing of the sequel trilogy.

Star Wars has found acclaim with its first Disney+ series,The Mandalorian, which introduced a breakout character in Baby Yoda.

Collider first reported the news of the Obi-Wan series being on hold.

Edited by LonghornSean

On ‎12‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 5:00 PM, mdmost said:

Hide contents

When this show was on Disney XD, we watched it via the Watch Disney app. They had a weekly segment that was an extra you could watch called Rebels Recon. It featured interviews with the creative team and cast. One of the things they discussed was how Obi Wan learned from the fight Maul had with Qui Gon. When Maul tried to do the same move he did that eventually killed Qui Gon, Obi Wan deflected and struck Maul instead. Just a cool wrinkle that shows Filoni and Pablo Hidalgo really pay a great attention to the details of these series.

Good call, I watched every one.

On ‎1‎/‎1‎/‎2020 at 7:31 PM, Buzzrock said:

Finished Rebels. Man that last scene gave me goosebumps. Moar!

Can't wait for the close out series.

On ‎1‎/‎4‎/‎2020 at 7:35 AM, Brothahorn said:

Damn, reading all this makes me see I missed out on Rebels. CW is my shit. I have all the episodes and movies downloaded. Loved it from day one.

Rebels just seemed to kiddish to me, so I gave up after the first few episodes. But if Asokah is in, it can’t be that bad.

You did miss out.  The first season is childish a bit, but finishes strong with the Finale and reveal, and then the 2nd and 3rd seasons are very much as good or better than Clone Wars IMO.

On ‎1‎/‎4‎/‎2020 at 2:38 PM, Buzzrock said:

You have to muscle through the first season. It’s very cartoonish (lots of silly physical humor, no real violence) but it picks up steam in season 2. Hera ended up being one of my favorite characters, and the continuation of Maul’s and Ahsoka’s story arcs are worth the effort. The Ezra character goes through a much better transformation from “impatient kid” than Anakin did in the prequels. Much more in the spirit of young Luke.

This.

On ‎1‎/‎18‎/‎2020 at 10:42 AM, billfromlaketravis said:

Y’all are crazy for calling Clone Wars better than Rebels. Rebels has Vader in all his glory. 

I mean it's tough...CW had so many great story arcs.  But it's definitely worth the debate.

On ‎1‎/‎24‎/‎2020 at 10:50 AM, Speedtrucker said:

I’m fine with this, as long as it doesn’t get canceled.

Get it right, don’t just rush it out as shitty filler.

As long as Ewan is on board and alive, his age isn’t an issue

Same.  Ewan is staying on board.so I'm happy.

18 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Season 3 of Rebels is very, very legit. 

Truth.

On 1/11/2020 at 11:30 AM, billfromlaketravis said:

I took the plunge and bundled Disney +, ESPN+, and Hulu. 

Hulu kind of sucks. I’m glad I’m paying $1.00 for it. 

Same here. Especially since I still get commercials.

On 1/18/2020 at 10:42 AM, billfromlaketravis said:

Y’all are crazy for calling Clone Wars better than Rebels. Rebels has Vader in all his glory. 

You're right. How could an active Yoda, Obi Wan, Anakin, Asoka, the Maul Brothers and Ventress compete with Ezra, Kanan and Zeb? I mean chopper is good but he's not that good.

On 1/22/2020 at 8:38 AM, mdmost said:

spacer.png

8 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

Same here. Especially since I still get commercials.

You're right. How could an active Yoda, Obi Wan, Anakin, Asoka, the Maul Brothers and Ventress compete with Ezra, Kanan and Zeb? I mean chopper is good but he's not that good.

spacer.png

We’ll see in Clone Wars. Just started it last night. 

It’s my understanding that you have to sign up the commercial free version of Hulu, and then bundle to get around the commercials. This of course is and additional $6. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

4 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

We’ll see in Clone Wars. Just started it last night. 

It’s my understanding that you have to sign up the commercial free version of Hulu, and then bundle to get around the commercials. This of course is and additional $6. 

You will love Clone Wars

spacer.png

You know it's possible to love both right? I think Clone Wars had some of the best 2-4 episode arcs, but I think some of the rebels stuff was even better, but not entire seasons.

I still think Twilight of the Apprentice(Vader, Maul, and Ahshoka) was possibly the best 2 episodes of all of it.

• Like 1

On 2/4/2020 at 7:22 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

Give it to me straight Clone Wars fans,  how many more episodes with Jar Jar? I’m currently on Season 1 Episode 12. 

Just power through.  Not enough to turn you off the show.  If you start one and you think it's too much Jar Jar just skip.  Way too many great storylines and arcs to miss it.

On 2/8/2020 at 6:04 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

Regarding Clone Wars, Cad Bane is flying up the charts in my most annoying character. Sure, he's a bad ass bounty hunter, but three of the most powerful Jedi that ever lived can't capture the guy? It seems like a stretch. 

You said he's a bad ass bounty hunter, so yes, he could give them trouble like that.  These other shows do a good job of letting us know that Jedi aren't all powerful and don't always win.  Wish more people paid attention to that kind of stuff.

6 hours ago, Brandywine said:

Well smarty pants I was trying not to give the story away. But since you asked:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_Solo

a good story and extremely well produced.  Toward the end, edge of your seat. Climbing El Capitan without a rope. Check it out!!!

Yes. I’ve seen it. I agree. 

19 hours ago, Herpa Derpa said:

I see that they got Emilio, but they couldn't get the rest of the band back together? I'm sure that Joshua Jackson, and Keenan Thompson would be happy to take some of Disney's money. Show that Fulton Reed became a fat loser managing a Denny's or some shit. And have Goldberg teach the kids a valuable lesson about not smoking meth.

• Haha 1