Disney+ (Disney's new streaming service)

mdmost

1 hour ago, Speedtrucker said:

Were pleasantly surprised that onward was a good as it was. We expected it to be pretty bad.

I thought it was better than TS4 and Incredibles 2. 

Pratt was pretty damn funny 

• Like 1

Looking forward to watching Onward tonight

Watched last night. Good flick. Not toy story or cars or monsters inc. by that I mean I doubt there will be a sequel and I doubt they’ll create a new wing at disneyworld based on it, but it was a good story.
  • Like 1

Disney+ has 50 million subscribers in just 5 months after launching. 

Disney+ Hits 50 Million Paid Subscribers Globally

By Jill Goldsmith

Jill Goldsmith

Streaming service Disney+ hit 50 million paid subscribers globally within five months after its U.S. launch, Disney said, calling it a “new milestone.”

The company last revealed on February 4 that the service had close to 29 million subscribers – meaning it’s up 75% since then. It handed down that number on its quarterly earnings call, generating kudos from Wall Street to Hollywood for a strong showing only three months out of the gate. Disney+ launched in November. In February, it was already well on the way to Disney’s target of 60 to 90 million worldwide subscribers by 2024 which, given the latest jump, now appears pretty conservative.

It likely got a boost with much of the nation and the world in ‘shelter-at-home’ mode watching more TV and video content than ever, including it seems a lot of The Mandalorian, Frozen 2 and The Simpsons. Disney+ is ad free costing $6.99 and is also bundled in a package with Hulu and ESPN+ for $12.99.

Disney’s now got a major lead in the streaming wars now as NBUniversal’s Peacock prepares to launch later in April for Comcast customers and HBO Max debuts in May. Jeffrey Katzenberg’s short-form mobile app Quibi hit on Monday and, according to mobile research firm Sensor Tower, installs for days 1-2 were just over 530,000. Quibi reached 300,000 its first day.

“We’re truly humbled that Disney+ is resonating with millions around the globr=e, and believe this bodes well for our continued expansion throughout Western Europe and into Japan and all of Latin America later this year,” said Kevin Mayer, Chairman of Walt Disney Direct-to-Consumer & International in a statement Wednesday.

“Great storytelling inspires and uplifts, and we are in the fortunate position of being able to deliver a vast array of great entertainment rooted in joy and optimism on Disney+,” he said.

In the past two weeks, Disney+ rolled out in eight Western European counties including the UK, Ireland, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Austria, and Switzerland. Additionally, Disney+ became available last week in India, where it is offered in conjunction with the existing Hotstar service, and already accounts for approximately eight million of Disney+’s 50 million paid subscribers.

On 4/4/2020 at 9:39 AM, Speedtrucker said:

Were pleasantly surprised that onward was a good as it was. We expected it to be pretty bad.

The story was very good. But I was expecting it to be funnier to be honest. Felt like Barley was a Jack Black rip-off 

Edited by Neonmoon

2 hours ago, mdmost said:

Their target is 60-90 million by 2024?  That’s a helluva spread. You’d think they’d have zero’d in the budget a little better than +/-20% before launching something this big. 

Edited by UT_OB1

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/8/2020 at 5:49 PM, mdmost said:

On 4/8/2020 at 7:52 PM, UT_OB1 said:

Their target is 60-90 million by 2024?  That’s a helluva spread. You’d think they’d have zero’d in the budget a little better than +/-20% before launching something this big. 

Worldwide I assume for these numbers?

On 4/4/2020 at 9:39 AM, Speedtrucker said:

Guess i have to give it a look.. i didn't care for the trailer. but you are right.. it's pixar. 

Signed up a week ago finally when I wanted to watch Wreck it Ralph without commercials. Since then have immersed myself in the imaginerring show, Cars, original Pete's Dragon (favorite disney movie as a kid), and finally.. watching the guardian of the galaxy movies..because they have been on my list forever. 

On 4/8/2020 at 7:49 PM, mdmost said:

I think they are benefiting from the pandemic. I wouldn’t have bought a fire stick or Disney+ if I wasn’t trapped in my house with two small children 

3 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Filoni explaining the Skywalkers on Gallery  will blow your hair back. Wow. 

It was truly wonderful. 

Holy fuck. His Speech about the Duel of Fates and the connection it has on the final Vader scene left me shaking.

It’s like poetry, it rhymes. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Kathleen Kennedy appearing and speaking on Gallery is outright trolling Star Wars fans.

On the one hand, the internet is full of nothing but vitriol and rumors for her, that she's on borrowed time, that she has no say, etc..  It's easy to say "well, it's just a bunch of fanboys pissed off with how 7-9 turned out and they are pumping out all kinds of fake stories."

On the other hand, it's pretty damned clear that Filoni and Favreau are running things, and that says more about what's going on than anything else.

15 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

On the one hand, the internet is full of nothing but vitriol and rumors for her, that she's on borrowed time, that she has no say, etc..  It's easy to say "well, it's just a bunch of fanboys pissed off with how 7-9 turned out and they are pumping out all kinds of fake stories."

On the other hand, it's pretty damned clear that Filoni and Favreau are running things, and that says more about what's going on than anything else.

Running things on the Mandalorian? Sure. The feature films. No, hell no. There’s plenty of print out there on Kennedy disrupting Star Wars film sets. It’s not just rumors.

Favreau is bullet proof at Disney because of all the money he made them with the Marvel movies. I think Bob Iger knows the films are going to make regardless of what Kennedy does. He needed a win for Disney +, so he let Favreau and Filoni do their thing. 

You’d think Kennedy and Filoni have a good working relationship. She hired him after all and it would serve Filoni well to stay on her good side. 

I think it's pretty clear based on Filoni's little speech thing at the the end (and of course his work on The Mandolorian and the animated shows) that he is the one who needs to be at the helm as far as determining the creative direction of the Star Wars franchise.

Edited by NotActuallyALonghorn

16 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Running things on the Mandalorian? Sure. The feature films. No, hell no. There’s plenty of print out there on Kennedy disrupting Star Wars film sets. It’s not just rumors.

Favreau is bullet proof at Disney because of all the money he made them with the Marvel movies. I think Bob Iger knows the films are going to make regardless of what Kennedy does. He needed a win for Disney +, so he let Favreau and Filoni do their thing. 

You’d think Kennedy and Filoni have a good working relationship. She hired him after all and it would serve Filoni well to stay on her good side. 

And Jungle Book, and Lion King and all the other stuff that have in the works with him too.  He's golden with them.

14 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

I think it's pretty clear based on Filoni's little speech thing at the the end (and of course his work on The Mandolorian and the animated shows) that he is the one who needs to be at the helm as far as determining the creative direction of the Star Wars franchise.

Yeah anyone who thinks otherwise has no fucking clue.

On 5/8/2020 at 10:14 PM, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Having been going through the Star Wars movies on Disney+, my gut says that Filoni has a major hand in picking the artwork for the older movie entries in Disney+ = there is a lot of original Ralph McQuarrie artwork being used for those movie entries in the Disney+ app.

Kiddos have the singalongs (which originally aired on ABC) on repeat.  Derek Hough's gf and Halsey as Ariel have made it tolerable. 

But seriously, it was a great idea to slap those together and with a couple of exceptions, the celebrities seem to be having a lot of fun with it, too.  I hope they can do some more.

• Like 1

On 5/12/2020 at 12:59 PM, A-Tex Devil said:

Kiddos have the singalongs (which originally aired on ABC) on repeat.  Derek Hough's gf and Halsey as Ariel have made it tolerable. 

But seriously, it was a great idea to slap those together and with a couple of exceptions, the celebrities seem to be having a lot of fun with it, too.  I hope they can do some more.

Pretty much spot on.  There were some clunkers in the 2 episodes, but overall pretty enjoyable takes.

On 5/14/2020 at 2:24 PM, Js1 said:

Look like a Percy Jackson series is in the works. 

https://www.tor.com/2020/05/14/disney-plus-rick-riordans-percy-jackson-series-lightning-thief/

They can do this right, compared to the crap sandwich Hollywood served us on the big screen.  Really flesh it out - one season per book. 

Please don't suck, please don't suck.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Calihorn said:

If I could get a decent Percy Jackson series, I would die happy. I love those books.

Riordan is heavily involved and has a lot of power, so I wouldn't be worried.

Speaking of YA, the new Artemis Fowl movie that was supposed to hit theaters is going to be streaming on Disney+ in  a few weeks.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Riordan is heavily involved and has a lot of power, so I wouldn't be worried.

Speaking of YA, the new Artemis Fowl movie that was supposed to hit theaters is going to be streaming on Disney+ in  a few weeks.

Strangely, the Riordan stuff was the only YA series I could get into. I don't know why.

57 minutes ago, Calihorn said:

Strangely, the Riordan stuff was the only YA series I could get into. I don't know why.

All of it was (mostly) good. The Greek, the Roman, the Egyptian, the Norse stuff 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...