Disney+ (Disney's new streaming service)

mdmost

Watched the show on the Making of Frozen 2 over the weekend (6 episodes), and thought it was pretty well done and interesting.

Granted, I'm a sucker for movie behind-the-scenes and making-of content, but it was pretty fascinating to see how they continuously develop the story and the songs, plus you get some cool stuff from recording sessions and animation meetings and stuff like that. Would recommend if you're into that kind of behind the scenes stuff.

Edited by LonghornSean
  • Like 2

Watched the show on the Making of Frozen 2 over the weekend (6 episodes), and thought it was pretty well done and interesting.
Granted, I'm a sucker for movie behind-the-scenes and making-of content, but it was pretty fascinating to see how they continuously develop the story and the songs, plus you get some cool stuff from recording sessions and animation meetings and stuff like that. Would recommend if you're into that kind of behind the scenes stuff.
It's always interesting to watch people like this think through the details. Lots of perfectionist type personalities working together. It's amazing they ever finish. It's nice to work with other like-minded people though.
  • Like 1

I've seen Hamilton live but the Original Broadway cast is spectacular.  Worth seeing if you haven't seen it before or did not catch the Broadway cast.  It is a masterpiece and a huge part of that was the original cast.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Is Miranda’s deal with Disney just for Hamilton? 

I'm not sure he even has an exclusive deal with Disney, but clearly the two parties have a strong working relationship (Moana, Mary Poppins, live-action Little Mermaid remake). His In The Heights movie that was supposed to release this summer is not Disney.

The deal for Hamilton was $75 million simply for the distribution rights to the filmed version of the original production. When/if they make an actual movie adaptation, I think that would be a completely separate deal but I'd count on Disney to be a favorite to win those rights too.

Edited by LonghornSean

3 hours ago, deech said:

I've seen Hamilton live but the Original Broadway cast is spectacular.  Worth seeing if you haven't seen it before or did not catch the Broadway cast.  It is a masterpiece and a huge part of that was the original cast.

So you’re a fan of the original cast?

• Haha 1

Seen Hamilton twice now. Beyond thrilled I could watch the original cast all do a show together. This was shot really well. You get a much better perspective into the tremendous acting behind a lot of the talent. We'll definitely watch it again. Bravo Disney for taking the hit on this. 

So serious question.  Is Hamilton America’s greatest artistic achievement since the first two Godfathers?

i watched tonight for first time and was floored.  I purposely never spoiled myself on the musical.  I also really love Les Mis and can’t stand most musicals.  So do with that what you may as to my taste.  But Hamilton as a musical is a Smithsonian level achievement.  I expect to see the forehead mics in that museum soon enough. 

• Like 2

Have seen Hamilton 4 times - once at the Public, then in March 2016 with Javier Munoz subbed as Hamilton for a Saturday matinee, then in Chicago and Baltimore. 

I much prefer Munoz’ Hamilton to LMM but the original cast is perfection. Diggs can quietly steal the show, and you don’t get it with the cast recording at all.

They got trigger happy with camera jumps a few times but otherwise this was really, really well filmed. Glad so many can watch this, more need theater exposure imo.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Xian said:

Just watched Hamilton for this first time. I’m in shocked at how much I loved it. 

I figured there was no way it could live up to the hype. It was being promoted to the point of annoyance.

boy, was I wrong. Great show!

I was just about to say the same thing... I will admit that I was honestly primed to not like it at all.  I was wrong.  

I'm glad, though, that I read along with the libretto the first time -- I would have missed a lot otherwise.  I'm looking forward to a rewatch without it.

For the newly initiated, this is a really good book to read along with as you're watching the show for the 2nd or 3rd time. Really goes in depth on some of the nuisances, subtitles, and winks that you may miss the first couple times through the show. 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1455539740/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

6 hours ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Have seen Hamilton 4 times - once at the Public, then in March 2016 with Javier Munoz subbed as Hamilton for a Saturday matinee, then in Chicago and Baltimore. 

I much prefer Munoz’ Hamilton to LMM but the original cast is perfection. Diggs can quietly steal the show, and you don’t get it with the cast recording at all.

They got trigger happy with camera jumps a few times but otherwise this was really, really well filmed. Glad so many can watch this, more need theater exposure imo.

I quite honestly hate you. You saw it at the Public. Fuck you. 

Sorry. I’m just incredibly jealous. I’ve seen all the productions except that one. The first one. I saw the original Broadway cast twice in February 2016 - once with LMM and once with Javier. Totally different takes. Javier can sing. And he was much more the ladies man as A Ham (ironic, I know). 

Daveed was the X factor. Of all the other productions, nobody had an actor who could do what he did. There were other good Burrs or Elizas or Angelicas, but no comparable Lafayette/TJs. 

I need to see this movie production.

Edited by Jive Turkey
  • Like 2

I love musicals and never had a reasonable opportunity to see Hamilton.  I have never listened to the cast album or read anything about it, because I wanted to see it.  I have been looking forward to today for a while, and it did not disappoint.  Blown away by the level of genius on display.  

So glad to see all the new Hamilton stans!

And Lin Manuel Miranda is truly a genius.

Wrote the dialogue, the music, the lyrics, literally created EVERYTHING and starred in the lead role.

And, yes, Daveed Diggs was a standout and stole the show.

Groff’s inherent annoyingness was actually an asset for the role of King George III.

58 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

I quite honestly hate you. You saw it at the Public. Fuck you. 

Sorry. I’m just incredibly jealous. I’ve seen all the productions except that one. The first one. I saw the original Broadway cast twice in February 2016 - once with LMM and once with Javier. Totally different takes. Javier can sing. And he was much more the ladies man as A Ham (ironic, I know). 

Daveed was the X factor. Of all the other productions, nobody had an actor who could do what he did. There were other good Burrs or Elizas or Angelicas, but no comparable Lafayette/TJs. 

I need to see this movie production.

We are fortunate to live within easy access to the city and are in tune with broadway. We’ve had 18 shows cancelled due to this virus.

WEAR MASKS, MOTHERFUCKERS.

• Like 1

I saw the London production of Hamilton in February 2018, right before I met up with mdmost in Liverpool. The guy who played King George there definitely did not ham it up like Groff. Instead, he was angry and vindictive. If it was perfect given the context.

I am thrilled that so many more people are learning of the greatness of Hamilton. Especially those who don’t particularly care for musicals. This transcends that. 

Edited by Jive Turkey
  • Like 2

Ok watched Hamilton, I thought it was very meh.  Second half was better than the first, but I could hardly understand what was being sung/said.  Wife and Daughter saw it in NYC a few years back and loved it.  I assume it has to be better live but I don't see how it is living up the hype around it.

22 minutes ago, abuelo gringo said:

Is Hamilton closed captioned on Netflix?  We olds don't hear lyrics as well as we once did (ears blown out by being close to amps in the '60s.) 

If not CC'd, any suggestions on available libretto?

Assuming you mean Disney+, yes there are subtitles available. I'd recommend anyone watching for the first time who hasn't listened to the album before should have the subtitles on.

• Like 1

Echo the Hamilton book that @mdmost brought up.  I also read/audible'd Chernow's book before hearing the soundtrack or seeing the touring company version in KC on the 5th of July 2019.  There's strong evidence that Hamilton and Laurens were more than friends.

Wife and I watched it on Friday, twice.  Genius.

Amazing. I’ve been obsessed since it first was released and went out and bought the CD. My “married in to a shitload of money” ex and my kids went to see it immediately and paid something like 2500 a ticket (I was/am extremely envious but love they got the experience with original cast) and my kids are still obsessed with it to this day. We watched it 3 times over the weekend.

Love that people are getting to see it.

Loved using the subtitles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro