Disney+ (Disney's new streaming service)

mdmost

There's a really good making of Hamilton documentary that PBS did a few years ago. If you have a PBS Passport account, you should be able to access it via their streaming app. It took Miranda over 6 years to conceptualize and write Hamilton. And all of this from reading the Ron Chernow book on vacation after In the Heights came out. And he has some massive balls as he workshopped it at a White House poetry and musical event with the Obamas in the audience. 

https://www.pbs.org/wnet/gperf/hamiltonfullfilm/5801/

Edited by mdmost
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

my wife asked if I thought he'd be thought of as the mozart of our times.

4 hours ago, Herpa Derpa said:

Tap the brakes.

3 hours ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Has anyone other than Mozart been thought of as the Mozart of their time?

Yep, people (in Oklahoma) thought Chris Gaines would be the Mozart of our times, and that fucker only turned out one album.

• Like 1

So serious question.  Is Hamilton America’s greatest artistic achievement since the first two Godfathers?
i watched tonight for first time and was floored.  I purposely never spoiled myself on the musical.  I also really love Les Mis and can’t stand most musicals.  So do with that what you may as to my taste.  But Hamilton as a musical is a Smithsonian level achievement.  I expect to see the forehead mics in that museum soon enough. 
My wife and I just watched this tonight and I was floored. I've seen a few musicals on Broadway such as Fiddler on the Roof and Phantom and they were great and I enjoyed them like anyone else would, but this was incredible. I'm probably going to be up for another few hours just reading about it. King George III and Thomas Jefferson stole the show, but everyone was just so freaking talented.

Enviado desde mi SM-G973U mediante Tapatalk

In my opinion it has to be in the conversation for one of the top artistic achievements- I don’t know how far back you go. I didn’t think seeing it on Disney would change my opinion that much, but I was blown away. I was chatting with a very skeptical buddy of mine watching it at the same time and I think I enjoyed his reaction even more.

I hate that Miranda is having to deal with the blowback right now. On some review sites/apps I’ve seen there is a staggering amount of people that are virtue signaling - and it ranges from “he should be ashamed of himself” to demanding it be cancelled immediately and anyone that supports it is racist. I was telling my kid headed off to college that Hamilton will be a dirty word on campuses within a year or two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 hour ago, wutang75 said:

In my opinion it has to be in the conversation for one of the top artistic achievements- I don’t know how far back you go. I didn’t think seeing it on Disney would change my opinion that much, but I was blown away. I was chatting with a very skeptical buddy of mine watching it at the same time and I think I enjoyed his reaction even more.

I hate that Miranda is having to deal with the blowback right now. On some review sites/apps I’ve seen there is a staggering amount of people that are virtue signaling - and it ranges from “he should be ashamed of himself” to demanding it be cancelled immediately and anyone that supports it is racist. I was telling my kid headed off to college that Hamilton will be a dirty word on campuses within a year or two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That's fucking awful.  C'mon man.  

Edited by Biff Tannen
the second part, not the first part

I’m just a middle aged straight white dude, so what do I know...   My big takeaway from my first viewing of Hamilton was how amazing it was to see a bunch of modern Americans taking a 220+ year old story from the founding of this country about a bunch of old white dudes and making it their own, telling it their way, and giving it life.  

It frustrates me to no end to see people try and tear that down for any reason.  

41 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

what is the blowback?  until just now i was blissfully unaware of any such blowback. 

Critics are talking about its historical inaccuracies and talking extensively about all founding fathers and their thoughts/opinions on Slavery.  Hamilton is taking shit for allegedly marrying a Schuyler who was a family of slave owners.  They are also questioning whether he was truly opposed  to slavery.  The consensus seems to be that he was opposed to slavery, but he also did sell slaves working before coming to the US.  So they take issue with glorifying that.

Edited by deech

It's really interesting to compare how people received Hamilton back in 2015-2016 and how it was more emblematic of the Obama years and how some (and I do believe it's a small portion) are treating it through the lens of the post-George Floyd critical eye of anything related to slavery. Back in 2015-2016, it was controversial to some that the Founding Fathers were played by people of color and that they rapped. I remember having arguments on Shaggy about it with people who wouldn't give it a chance because Washington wasn't white.

Lin Manuel Miranda came out recently and said it's all fair game and that he could've put in more explicitly about slavery but had to cut out things to keep it as a tighter show. But I don't see how anyone can watch Hamilton and not see that the entire musical hinges on Hamilton's bad decisions that had dire consequences. He was an incredibly flawed person and Miranda definitely wrote him that way. Even Chernow discusses how incredibly flawed Hamilton and all founders were. His Washington biography really delves into this. That's my issue with the cancel culture reaction this. There's no room for nuance. They were all flawed men who did extraordinary things at an extraordinary time. I wish more people could watch that PBS documentary. It really dives so much into the background of all the characters and their motivations. 

Edited by mdmost
Fucking autocorrect to nuisance
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, mdmost said:

how some (and I do believe it's a small portion) are treating it through the lens of the post-George Floyd critical eye of anything related to slavery.

It's a very small number, but a big chunk of it is fucking internet trolls who will never watch it, and are just pissed that black/brown people are playing the roles of the founding fathers.

12 hours ago, mdmost said:

It's really interesting to compare how people received Hamilton back in 2015-2016 and how it was more emblematic of the Obama years and how some (and I do believe it's a small portion) are treating it through the lens of the post-George Floyd critical eye of anything related to slavery. Back in 2015-2016, it was controversial to some that the Founding Fathers were played by people of color and that they rapped. I remember having arguments on Shaggy about it with people who wouldn't give it a chance because Washington wasn't white.

Lin Manuel Miranda came out recently and said it's all fair game and that he could've put in more explicitly about slavery but had to cut out things to keep it as a tighter show. But I don't see how anyone can watch Hamilton and not see that the entire musical hinges on Hamilton's bad decisions that had dire consequences. He was an incredibly flawed person and Miranda definitely wrote him that way. Even Chernow discusses how incredibly flawed Hamilton and all founders were. His Washington biography really delves into this. That's my issue with the cancel culture reaction this. There's no room for nuance. They were all flawed men who did extraordinary things at an extraordinary time. I wish more people could watch that PBS documentary. It really dives so much into the background of all the characters and their motivations. 

I finally watched it tonight for the first time and thought it was fantastic.  Music, choreography, staging, all top notch.  I had a chance to see it London a couple of years ago but the wife didn’t want to and we saw Bat out of Hell, the Meatloaf musical which was actually quite good but not at the level of Hamilton.  It’s up there with School House Rock as an entertaining vehicle for teaching people about history/civics.  Also, to all the people that bitched about the actors being black and portraying white men and how wrong that was I am guessing many of them loved to have pictures in their house of their “white” Jesus instead of the dark skinned, middle eastern Jew that Jesus really was.  

I never knew the curly haired female standing next to a lot of the characters in any given point was nicknamed “Bullet”. She is foreshadowing the death of each character. She’s stands next to and interacts with Laurens in Yorktown, Philip in Blow Us All Away, and is the literal bullet that kills Hamilton at the end. She’s also the first murder in the show as she’s killed by a British soldier while posing as a spy.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.oprahmag.com/entertainment/amp33263561/who-is-the-bullet-in-hamilton/

In reality, Hamilton was involved in many duels and all but the one with Burr were resolved without shots fired. Chernow discusses that depending on how you read the letters both men wrote each other leading up to the duel, neither really tried to back down even though the letters went back and forth for almost a month. It spoke to Hamilton's terrible decision making as he had many opportunities to just apologize to Burr but never did. 

Today is the 216th anniversary of the duel. 

Edited by mdmost

On 7/11/2020 at 3:23 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

I watched the old X-Men cartoons this morning. It took me back. Good times. 

I watched the series with my kids over the past few months. They like it as much as I did. It was a fun experience, and I’m glad they’re going to be little nerds too

4 minutes ago, UT_OB1 said:

I watched the series with my kids over the past few months. They like it as much as I did. It was a fun experience, and I’m glad they’re going to be little nerds too

Disney + is something else. X-Men, Duck Tales and TaleSpin all commercial free in all their original glory. 

Goof Troop, the Disney non Aggy version, is  next. The 90’s was a glorious time for cartoons. 

Plus it helps with the dual meaning in the opening number. We fought with him- Mulligan and Lafayette/Madison and Jefferson. Me, I died for him- John Laurens/Philip Hamilton. Me, I loved him- Eliza, Angelica, Peggy/Maria Reynolds. 

There's so many call backs in the show for Act 2 from Act 1. Maria Reynolds singing "helpless" in a similar fashion as Eliza sings "helpless". Philip echoing the same bravado as his father, "I'm only 19 but my mind is older". Eliza singing "stay alive" to both her husband and son. 

Edited by mdmost

I’m not really a musical guy, but I was absolutely blown away by Hamilton. The music, the costumes, the storytelling, the lighting, the dancing...truly incredible art.

Never ceases to amaze me how talented some people can be. From concept to final form, this is an absolute masterpiece. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Just watched Hamilton. Really fun. 
why do several actors play multiple parts?  
and the guy that was Lafayette and Jefferson was a riot.  If he was on stage, I was looking at him. 

he's the lead in snowpiercer on tnt if you're interested.

I thought he was awesome as Lafayette but didn’t do it for me (maybe too cartoonish?) as Jefferson.
A great casting call— I was surprised that Gad played the King as well as he did, I expected a big fat caricature (like Herod in JCS)— and either Olaf lost weight or he was never a big round great big fat person like I assumed he was. I thought he was perfectly cast as George, his numbers were great, sung great and funny.

Also perfectly cast was George Washington and to a lesser extent Madison. Really couldn’t have picked a better GW.

The lyrics were great, would even agree if you said exceptional, but I think Lin wasn’t the perfect Hamilton. He was good enough, and technology companies have a similar issue in “founders dilemma” and you can’t really tell the guy “look— you wrote this awesome musical, did all the lyrics and story and pitched it but you are a B+ Hamilton and we should get a marginally better one for an A+”, so I get it. I’d like to see the musical with another lead and compare.

All that said, not sure it spoke to me as it did most people. Wasn’t life changing or profound and moving as masterpiece or art. I thought the most exhilarating part and the part that reached the closest to greatness for me was the end of Act 1 when bits of all the previous music came together for a few moments and layered perfectly into a crescendo, elevating Hamilton to NY. Also, the lyrics and rhyming dialogue were amazing. 

Edited by Rougarou

1 minute ago, Rougarou said:

A great casting call— I was surprised that Gad played the King as well as he did, I expected a big fat caricature (like Herod in JCS)— and either Olaf lost weight or he was never a big round great big fat person like I assumed he was. I thought he was perfectly cast as George, his numbers were great, sung great and funny.

Jonathan Groff was the King, not Josh Gad.

Just now, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Jonathan Groff was the King, not Josh Gad.

Then that makes sense. One of my kids told me it was Olaf. I should put him up for adoption for giving me bad intel that led to embarrassment on the internet.

But seriously, the King was really well cast— had great voice and comedic timing.

1 minute ago, Rougarou said:

Then that makes sense. One of my kids told me it was Olaf. I should put him up for adoption for giving me bad intel that led to embarrassment on the internet.

But seriously, the King was really well cast— had great voice and comedic timing.

Yeah, Groff is great on stage. My wife drug me to Little Shop of Horrors previews a few months back. He and Christian Borle were both really, really funny in the leading roles.

9 hours ago, Rougarou said:

He got confused. Jonathan Groff was Kristoff, not Olaf. 

Your kid is an absolute embarrassment. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Js1 said:

He got confused. Jonathan Groff was Kristoff, not Olaf. 

Your kid is an absolute embarrassment. 

I read the last line in song right before the Da-da-da- slobber- da-Dai-da-da -spittle- da

Joking aside someone upthread mentioned his excessive saliva but I think it is probably a testament to commitment to the act— he didn’t stop to wipe his mouth because it would have broke character and having to project as loud and clear as you have to on stage, it’s probably a more common occurrence than realized. I mean I noticed during close ups the cast was drenched in sweat on their faces, which makes complete sense but not something you necessarily see from the nose bleed seats of Rodgers. 

Edited by Rougarou