Disney+ (Disney's new streaming service)

mdmost

On 7/13/2020 at 8:21 PM, Rougarou said:

I think Lin wasn’t the perfect Hamilton. He was good enough, and technology companies have a similar issue in “founders dilemma” and you can’t really tell the guy “look— you wrote this awesome musical, did all the lyrics and story and pitched it but you are a B+ Hamilton and we should get a marginally better one for an A+”, so I get it. I’d like to see the musical with another lead and compare.

Told my wife after watching it that if Lin was auditioning for the role he would have never gotten it, as a voice talent he just isn't on the same level as the rest of the cast. He's fine and doesn't ruin the play or anything but that aspect doesn't blow you away. 

We saw it when it came through Los Angeles a few years ago and the guy that played Hamilton was much better IMO. The rest of the cast was solid but couldn't stack up against the original Broadway run. 

5 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

Told my wife after watching it that if Lin was auditioning for the role he would have never gotten it, as a voice talent he just isn't on the same level as the rest of the cast. He's fine and doesn't ruin the play or anything but that aspect doesn't blow you away. 

We saw it when it came through Los Angeles a few years ago and the guy that played Hamilton was much better IMO. The rest of the cast was solid but couldn't stack up against the original Broadway run. 

Yea agree completely, but Lin is so intertwined with the role/musical that it's hard to unsee him as the lead in a lot of folks hearts and minds-- he is Hamilton (as the creator) and like I said, he should be (and largely is) a sentimental favorite, which I think you are also agreeing and saying.

4 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

Yea agree completely, but Lin is so intertwined with the role/musical that it's hard to unsee him as the lead in a lot of folks hearts and minds-- he is Hamilton (as the creator) and like I said, he should be (and largely is) a sentimental favorite, which I think you are also agreeing and saying.

For sure. If I had paid to see the original cast on Broadway I think I would have been pretty disappointed if it was the understudy playing Hamilton that night even if the understudy was a "better" performer. 

Man Hamilton looks awful to me, and I hate the music because my kids listen to it incessantly, but you assholes seem to love it so maybe I’ll give it a look.

I’m not a big fan of musicals, and rapping history makes me think of the lame teacher who tries to teach kids via rapping. “I’m Mr Jones and I’m hear to say, we’re gonna look at math in a whole new way!”

• Haha 2

59 minutes ago, usmc0331horn said:

Renting. And they've been about 20 bucks on Amazon so a $30 price point is just absurd.

The $20 on Amazon is for movies that are pretty new and have been in theaters (maybe still at dollar), right?  $30 seems about right for a brand new release. That’s 2-3 tickets at the theater and the beers aren’t $7.  

8 hours ago, UT_OB1 said:

The $20 on Amazon is for movies that are pretty new and have been in theaters (maybe still at dollar), right?  $30 seems about right for a brand new release. That’s 2-3 tickets at the theater and the beers aren’t $7.  

you're just not buying the right beers then

8 hours ago, UT_OB1 said:

Am I at the theater? And new releases on Amazon that would be new in theaters are 20 bucks.

$30 is fine.  None of the $20 early releases on Amazon have been blockbusters hell I haven't even heard of most of them.  The closest was the Trolls movie, but even then I would guess these live action remakes are considered another level from that.  Plus it's a kids movie and that's easily a $80+ bill under normal theatre conditions.  The theatre experience isn't worth an extra $50+, imo. 

The $30 price point is only absurd if you had no intention of ever seeing this in the theatre, in which case you can wait however many months and rent it when it's 5.99 or free streaming on Disney+.

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

$30 is fine.  None of the $20 early releases on Amazon have been blockbusters hell I haven't even heard of most of them.  The closest was the Trolls movie, but even then I would guess these live action remakes are considered another level from that.  Plus it's a kids movie and that's easily a $80+ bill under normal theatre conditions.  The theatre experience isn't worth an extra $50+, imo. 

The $30 price point is only absurd if you had no intention of ever seeing this in the theatre, in which case you can wait however many months and rent it when it's 5.99 or free streaming on Disney+.

Exactly. It will be added to the Disney+ rotation eventually. So if $30 if a bridge too far, you can wait a few months and it will be there for the normal $9 you pay. For us, we were going to take our kids to go see it in the theater and will happily pay the $30 because there's no way we're setting foot in a theater for a while. If we had gone, it would've been to the Alamo. It's $28 just for the tickets then another $40-$60 for food, drinks, snacks, etc. Though I do really miss their breakfast tacos. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

For those who are curious about how long you get Mulan if you drop $35 on it.

Starting September 4, with Premier Access, you can watch Mulan before it's available to all Disney+ subscribers. Disney+ will offer Premier Access to Mulan for $34.99 on disneyplus.com and in the Disney+ app on select platforms, including Apple, Google, and Roku. Once you have Premier Access to Mulan, you can watch as many times as you want on any platform where Disney+ is available. Your access to Mulan will continue as long as you are an active Disney+ subscriber.

On 7/14/2020 at 8:02 AM, Rougarou said:

I read the last line in song right before the Da-da-da- slobber- da-Dai-da-da -spittle- da

Joking aside someone upthread mentioned his excessive saliva but I think it is probably a testament to commitment to the act— he didn’t stop to wipe his mouth because it would have broke character and having to project as loud and clear as you have to on stage, it’s probably a more common occurrence than realized. I mean I noticed during close ups the cast was drenched in sweat on their faces, which makes complete sense but not something you necessarily see from the nose bleed seats of Rodgers. 

I saw Hamilton live from the third row. Which was close enough to see the spittle fly and the sweat drip.

Watched SW prequel episodes 2 and 3 with my 8 year old son. Hadn’t seen them since they were in theaters.  And you know what? They were fine.  

i decided I think it was such a shock to see the brand tarnished from the almighty of the originals and everything in our culture built up around them that a meh movie was unjustly hated.  But now that we have the final three pointless episodes plus two decades of digesting the idea of mediocrity, a second look at the prequels showed them to be ordinary movies. 

didn’t watch Ep 1 again, and that kid was garbage, but I bet I’d feel the same about it.  

The thing about the prequels, is that even though there are a shit-ton of problems with them, they are Lucas's vision, for better or for worse.  They are much more watchable after seeing the sequels, which was not done with Lucas's input, and in fact tossed out most of his ideas.

Except for Rogue One.  R1 rocks.

Just now, atomheartbevo said:

My kid is turning 8 this fall, how'd you feel with the prequels and an 8 year-old?

my review is tainted i'm sure because seeing it with him undoubtedly made me like them more, because he loved them.  he said they were his favorite.  i guess all the color and splash of those work well. like riding that lizard thing chasing general grievous around.

he was super embarrassed watching the teen love dialogue.  he was saddened by anakin's turn.  we had to fast forward through mace windu's death and the youngling killings. that was too dark for him.

38 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

The thing about the prequels, is that even though there are a shit-ton of problems with them, they are Lucas's vision, for better or for worse.  They are much more watchable after seeing the sequels, which was not done with Lucas's input, and in fact tossed out most of his ideas.

Rogue One is in the top 4. Arguably the top 3. 

Revenge of the Sith was decent. Way too much CGI, but the Anakin - Obi Wan showdown was pretty awesome. 

I'd want Favreau/Filoni to be intimately involved, but I think there's enough source/canon material from the comics to make a damn good stand alone Vader film. Base it after Revenge of the Sith and before Rogue One. 

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

The sequels were set up for fail because they let JJ Abrams go with his underpants gnome version of story planning

23 hours ago, mdmost said:

It's a nostalgia factory. What are you into?

Scanning through the list, I see a lot of stuff I'm not going to watch- super hero movies, kids shows, sit com reruns, etc.

Based on the hype, I did watch first 3 eps of the Mandalorian, even though star wars is not my thing.

Please don't neg curb stomp me, but I guess it was ok. Great individual scenes (opening scene ep 1, sniping the jawas, etc), but the storyline isn't hooking me.

2 hours ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Scanning through the list, I see a lot of stuff I'm not going to watch- super hero movies, kids shows, sit com reruns, etc.

Based on the hype, I did watch first 3 eps of the Mandalorian, even though star wars is not my thing.

Please don't neg curb stomp me, but I guess it was ok. Great individual scenes (opening scene ep 1, sniping the jawas, etc), but the storyline isn't hooking me.

Mandalorian finishes strong in the last few episodes. The first several eps are more standalones whereas the last few become a more serialized storyline. But if Star Wars isn't your thing, it may not matter.

You could watch Free Solo. But bet you've already seen that. Just a hunch.

Edited by LonghornSean