Disney+ (Disney's new streaming service)

mdmost

On 11/5/2020 at 9:00 PM, atomheartbevo said:

If you got kids, National Geographic has a really cool series, "Drain the", and they show what it would be like to drain certain bodies of water around the world - around the Titanic, Bermuda Triangle, various World War II stuff, etc.

Found myself watching them and enjoying them as much as my son.

If you don’t have kids, why do you subscribe to Disney+?

• Hook 'Em 1

Leslye Headland Teases ‘Star Wars’ Series, Set in a Timeline Fans ‘Don’t Know Much About’'

Leslye Headland, the creator of Netflix’s acclaimed “Russian Doll,” is making steady progress on her untitled “Star Wars” series for Disney+.

Headland discussed the upcoming streaming series in a YouTube interview with Fantastic Frankie in early November, where she discussed her lifelong affinity for the franchise and its broad appeal. Though the interview was short on concrete details — there’s still no release date or casting details — Headland promised that the show, which was first announced in April, would take fans to an era and regions of the “Star Wars” universe that have been relatively unexplored throughout the previous decades of the franchise’s history.

“It’s in a pocket of the universe and a pocket of the timeline that we don’t know much about,” Headland said.

Headland will serve as showrunner and writer for the upcoming show, which will star a female protagonist. She noted that she grew up reading “Star Wars” books such as “Heir to the Empire” and said that working on “Star Wars” was a dream come true, as well as a significant undertaking. She stressed that creating a “Star Wars” show was more complex than simply inserting her ideas into a “Star Wars” backdrop and said that it was integral for the show to be based on a specific event or point in the franchise’s timeline.

“For me, it’s less about going through the Star Wars universe cinematically or artistically, I’m actually kind of combing through it geographically and go on a literal journey,” Headland said. “When we were pitching, I had my designer create that Indiana Jones-like ‘we go here and then we go here,’ with the little dotted red line like this is our journey, this is where we’re going.”

Headland’s upcoming “Star Wars” show is one of several in the works for Disney+. The streaming service is also expected to premiere an Ewan McGregor-led Obi-Wan Kenobi series, as well as a Cassian Andor “Rogue One: A Star Wars Story” spinoff series. Release dates have not been provided for either series.

Though new “Star Wars” shows are unlikely to premiere in the near future, Disney+ recently premiered the second season of its popular “The Mandalorian” series.

Headland’s full interview with Fantastic Frankie can be viewed below:

19 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

It’s in a pocket of the universe and a pocket of the timeline that we don’t know much about,” Headland said.

I love this.  Star Trek fucked up shoe-horning Spock shit into Discovery.   Although I am happy we are getting a Pike spinoff series.  

But damn, thinking of a Star Wars series that is far away from everything we are familiar with film/TV-wise makes me happy.   

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

I love this.  Star Trek fucked up shoe-horning Spock shit into Discovery.   Although I am happy we are getting a Pike spinoff series.  

But damn, thinking of a Star Wars series that is far away from everything we are familiar with film/TV-wise makes me happy.   

It’s a safe play for the creators as well, as they have more carte blanche  to work with without the fan base being able to scrutinize every second of final product. 

5 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

The one where, after Han and Leia profess their love for each other in the movies, Leia almost enters an arranged marriage with somebody she's never met, and Han flips out and kidnaps her with the Gun of Command?

Yep, that’s the one. Man, the Teneniel Djo cosplay is really weak.  

6 hours ago, mdmost said:

400 million to half-a-fucking-billion dollars a month, depending on if people are month-by month paying yearly.  We'll say around $5 billion a year.

On the one hand, trails Netflix's $20 billion a year.

On the other hand, unlike Netflix, they don't have to shell out any royalties to other companies.  Of course, it's going to be some time before they pay off the Fox merger.

I would watch a series about how the Galactic Empire built itself.   Not the Emperor/Vader politics/Jedi shit.  the actual military wing.  Kinda of a Goebbels meets Favreau thing.  

In the meantime, watched the Lego Holiday special with my 5YO today and she thought it was awesome.  She asked great questions about certain characters/vehicles/etc.  Laughed and cheered.  It was fucking awesome.  And nobody whined about the fact it was called "Holiday Special" and not "Christmas Special" because you know..........they live in another fucking galaxy.  Happy Life Day, bitches! 

I would watch a series about how the Galactic Empire built itself.   Not the Emperor/Vader politics/Jedi shit.  the actual military wing.  Kinda of a Goebbels meets Favreau thing.  
In the meantime, watched the Lego Holiday special with my 5YO today and she thought it was awesome.  She asked great questions about certain characters/vehicles/etc.  Laughed and cheered.  It was fucking awesome.  And nobody whined about the fact it was called "Holiday Special" and not "Christmas Special" because you know..........they live in another fucking galaxy.  Happy Life Day, bitches! 

That’s be a Thrawn and Tarkin special. And you’d have Thrawn dealing with the anti-alien race relations as both were climbing the ranks on the Imperial Navy

3 hours ago, ajax said:

If your wife and daughter want the whole family to sit down and watch Godmothered, just start drinking. Heavily.

It's a bargain basement Enchanted (which I like) with bad acting, except for Isla Fisher.

I was three sheets to the wind, but I sort of liked it. I’m a big Jillian Bell fan from Workaholics. 

On 11/10/2020 at 8:38 AM, atomheartbevo said:

If she had said she grew up reading “Courtship of Princess Leia” and “Crystal Star” and loved those novels, Star Wars fans would be all

spacer.png

crystal star may be the worst book i've ever slogged my way through. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 11/29/2020 at 7:42 PM, Lobo said:

On 11/29/2020 at 8:04 PM, Speedtrucker said:

That’s be a Thrawn and Tarkin special. And you’d have Thrawn dealing with the anti-alien race relations as both were climbing the ranks on the Imperial Navy

They need to make a series called Tie Fighter the game was badass

you could tell the story of a guy becoming a Tie Fighter pilot for the empire because a Rebel pilot accidentally blew up something he cared about (but it was a lie and actually was Darth Vader) and then tons of different missions and inner workings of a battle cruiser. They could even capture some Rebels and guy falls in love with one of them. The script writes itself. 

You can even go a little BSG and have the battle cruiser get lost in space and the Tie Fighter squadron is the only thing protecting the cruiser. Something like that 

Disney+ will have 10 new Star Wars series and 10 new Marvel series in the next couple of years. 

Raya and The Last Dragon will be a Premier Access option on Disney+ the same day in March 2021 that it comes out in theaters. 

They already have 86.8 million subscribers.

Edited by mdmost