Disney+ (Disney's new streaming service)

mdmost

2 hours ago, CfRhTxStBobcats said:

Up to 86.5 million subscribers is what I heard yesterday, that's insane. I have it through a friend of mines account but I never watch it. If you get 3 or 4 viewers per account like I have on Netflix almost the entire country has access. Nevermind, I'm sure that includes other countries subscribers.

What I thought was crazy is they said over half of the subscribers did NOT have kids? That blew my mind and also show the potentional of how much more they can grow. 

Let's see:

Is that the face of Kang on the wall behind the TVA receptionist?

Abstract stuff + The Good Place vibe?

Defending Your Life (old Al Brooks movie)?

Massively whacked out cosmic stuff

Totally i

Edited by freyguy
quoted wrong trailer

7 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Netflix produces some top notch programming. The Crown, Narcos, Stranger Things, Dark, etc. They aren't going the way of Blockbuster. But they will have to up their game, and hopefully us consumers benefit. 

This. And people aren’t choosing between Netflix and Disney. They are keeping Disney for their kids. They’re choosing between Hulu and Netflix, or HBO Max and Netflix.  Yes I’m sure there are people out there who only have one streaming service and that’s Disney. But many people have multiple services. The question becomes which ones rise above. 

I am curious if the Warner Brothers deal with HBO Max lasts after the pandemic. If so, other streaming services will need to make similar eels with studios for new movies. Also, HBO Max isn’t available on non Samsung TVs for now so that hurts them. (Yes you can cast it, but whatever). 

10 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Netflix produces some top notch programming. The Crown, Narcos, Stranger Things, Dark, etc. They aren't going the way of Blockbuster. But they will have to up their game, and hopefully us consumers benefit. 

And they have a lot of niche content they make or are making as well, niche in that they don’t have the audiences those shows you mentioned have, but they have diehard fans, and they add to the value of the overall service.   Selena, Witcher. Umbrella Academy, Resident Evil, Bridgerton, the live-action Avatar, the Last Airbender series, the live-action Cowboy Bebop series, Neil Gaiman’s Sandman series, the animated Magic the Gathering, the foreign programming that Americans lap up (Asian such as the massive Korean catalog, European/Scandinavian, South American, etc.), the massive amount of anime they have, and are producing, the massive amount of kids stuff, both existing and in production, and so on   

Looking at their upcoming content for next year and beyond, I’d argue they are operating on the premise that a lot of their licensed content from other networks and studios will go away.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Netflix_original_programming#Upcoming_original_programming

They will need to watch their pricing.   They need to keep pricing low enough that casual viewers won’t cancel it.  

netflix already spent over a billion locking up showrunners for original content.  kenya barris, shonda rimes, ryan murphy.

the problem is they're trying to recreate the success they had with rewatches from other networks - the office, mad men, west wing - and nothing much from those 3 tells me it's worth it on a rewatch basis.  they'll produce fine content, but people will watch it once then bounce, just like they do with the ozarks, umbrellas, and stranger things of the world.

they don't have the infrastructure some of the networks and studios have, and they'll always be at a disadvantage trying to chase them.

21 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

Just read on CNN where Disney is raising prices in March. Hope they keep the bundle option and don't go crazy. I'm surprised it was $14/month to begin with.

I think it's a dollar or two, and I'm fine with that.  There's pretty much a new series I want to watch for the next 6 months or so.

And I don't think it's Disney being greedy for once, well, not in the short term, I think it's a long game - I think they now have proof that big-budget content made for Disney+ is going to sell subs, and based on last week's announcements....shit, that was like multiple Game of Throne's level series announced.  Some of these series are going have larger budgets than any Marvel or Star Wars movie.

18 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

I think it's a dollar or two, and I'm fine with that.  There's pretty much a new series I want to watch for the next 6 months or so.

And I don't think it's Disney being greedy for once, well, not in the short term, I think it's a long game - I think they now have proof that big-budget content made for Disney+ is going to sell subs, and based on last week's announcements....shit, that was like multiple Game of Throne's level series announced.  Some of these series are going have larger budgets than any Marvel or Star Wars movie.

No problem with that. Crazy would have been $10-$15. Which is still not bad for 3 separate services.

When I worked at Disney World the first thing out of the mouth of the dude who facilitated the orientation/training thing was "The goal of The Walt Disney Company is to be part of the lives of every man, woman, and child in the world" and they might get pretty damn close with this.  Those SOBs are going to keep me on the hook with all this Star Wars stuff. 

I pay for Hulu still, but we never watch it. Same for SlingTV base (orange?) package.

Netflix and Disney+ have been the one-two punch and we basically think Netflix original content sucks (never got into Stranger Things, Bird Box was so dumb, etc.). Or maybe we just don't have the attention span anymore; kids spend more time on the YouTube widget than any paid streaming channel.

20 hours ago, DonkeyCigars said:

I pay for Hulu still, but we never watch it. Same for SlingTV base (orange?) package.

hulu is good for those who cut the cord, as it has all broadcast network shows the following day (except for cbs).  there's really no reason to have both live tv and hulu, except sports i guess.  but i hear hulu has live sports.

On 12/12/2020 at 10:04 AM, Neonmoon said:

This. And people aren’t choosing between Netflix and Disney. They are keeping Disney for their kids. They’re choosing between Hulu and Netflix, or HBO Max and Netflix.  Yes I’m sure there are people out there who only have one streaming service and that’s Disney. But many people have multiple services. The question becomes which ones rise above. 

I am curious if the Warner Brothers deal with HBO Max lasts after the pandemic. If so, other streaming services will need to make similar eels with studios for new movies. Also, HBO Max isn’t available on non Samsung TVs for now so that hurts them. (Yes you can cast it, but whatever). 

WB said it’s just going to be for a year. 

3 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

hulu is good for those who cut the cord, as it has all broadcast network shows the following day (except for cbs).  there's really no reason to have both live tv and hulu, except sports i guess.  but i hear hulu has live sports.

Interesting about sports. Honestly the only reason I have SlingTV is for the sports and I have Hulu for SpongeBob and a few other kid cartoons that aren't on Disney+.

So I have Disney+.  And I have Hulu (no ads).  But I don't have ESPN+.  

Having trouble finding a way to get the bundle, but with no ads Hulu.  If i didn't already have Disney plus and only had Hulu no ads, I think I could get the bundle (with no ads Hulu) which is offered on Hulu.  However when I try to get it, its tells me that I already have Disney + and to get the bundle through that account.  However, that account only offers the Hulu ad supported bundle.

3 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

So I have Disney+.  And I have Hulu (no ads).  But I don't have ESPN+.  

Having trouble finding a way to get the bundle, but with no ads Hulu.  If i didn't already have Disney plus and only had Hulu no ads, I think I could get the bundle (with no ads Hulu) which is offered on Hulu.  However when I try to get it, its tells me that I already have Disney + and to get the bundle through that account.  However, that account only offers the Hulu ad supported bundle.

Yeah we went from Hulu no ads to ads when we bundled.  The long term deal was too good to pass up.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I thought the Disney bundle checked to see if you have a Hulu account already and if so you got a reimbursement in the amount of regular Hulu with ads. Is that not right?

That’s supposed to be how it is. I have Hulu no ads. I get charged $11.99 for my Hulu and $7 for my Disney plus. I think I had to cancel my 2 separate accounts and sign up under one new email. I just removed a period in my gmail address to do it. 

12 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

So who owns the X-men and wolverine cartoons that are on Netflix now?

https://www.whats-on-netflix.com/news/marvel-anime-x-men-wolverwine-coming-to-netflix-in-december-2020/?_gl=1*1tazskd*_ga*YW1wLVhzaHo0OXcxNm90WGFuMkVWZWhLcXdhZm5SdEtlOUdmZUMwRi1HOGVrLVM4OXZtMGNWaXQwQlJsRmQ1WEVhQWU.

Marvel Anime was an anime venture that took popular licenses from the Marvel world and turned them into various series and movies. The four TV series included Iron Man, Wolverine, X-Men, and Blade. These series aired originally in the US on the now-defunct G4.

The studio behind the titles is Madhouse and the series was distributed in the US by Sony Pictures Home Entertainment while originally airing on Animax in Japan.

• 2 weeks later...