Disney+ (Disney's new streaming service)

mdmost

We watched Turning Red last night (wife, two daughters, and myself) and enjoyed it. I'd put it above Good Dinosaur. It's not up with the best that Pixar has put out but it was pretty enjoyable. I could see boys not liking it but my 11 year old daughter thought it was funny because she's in that junior high range where friends are starting to mean everything to her. 

1 hour ago, mdmost said:

We watched Turning Red last night (wife, two daughters, and myself) and enjoyed it. I'd put it above Good Dinosaur. It's not up with the best that Pixar has put out but it was pretty enjoyable. I could see boys not liking it but my 11 year old daughter thought it was funny because she's in that junior high range where friends are starting to mean everything to her. 

My five year old and three year old have watched it on constant repeat over spring break, so the humor translates among the younger viewers.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I think I discovered a little flaw in the iPhone app. D+ recently added a PIN requirement to enable more mature content (like the Daredevil and Punisher series which are pretty violent and rated TV-MA). I downloaded a show recently to watch on a flight, and when I went to watch it offline the app wouldn’t accept my PIN. It seems the app needs to be connected to the Disney servers to authenticate the PIN, so as a result I couldn’t get into my D+ profile and watch the show offline.

• 4 weeks later...

It’s a busy summer for Star Wars fans. Obi-Wan Kenobi’s Disney Plus series is just over a week away and we now know that Andor, the series that will focus on the origin story of the Galactic Rebellion, is coming later this summer as well, though it doesn’t have an exact date just yet.

https://www.polygon.com/star-wars/23093129/star-wars-andor-release-date-disney-plus-streaming?fbclid=IwAR0P_iZPyiQEZj_xf41IhQL_cB1EnGn60n-O0wM3-DdR2tZUbi74Z3_pxEE

She also said they weren't going to try to recast younger versions of established heroes like they did in Solo. A bit unfair to Alden Ehrenreich and Donald Glover and also a bit odd since they've already announced there was a Lando show in the works for Disney+. 

• Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, TKthunder2 said:

I think The Good Dinosaur wasn’t a bad movie.  Beautiful animation and backgrounds, the story was a little underwhelming but my kid likes it and I’ve seen it enough to recognize that’s it’s not as bad as people make it out to be.

18 hours ago, TKthunder2 said:

I think The Good Dinosaur wasn’t a bad movie.  Beautiful animation and backgrounds, the story was a little underwhelming but my kid likes it and I’ve seen it enough to recognize that’s it’s not as bad as people make it out to be.

when my nephews were young, all they wanted to do was watch cars over and over.  i watched it like 35x.

after the first few times, you're kinda like, this is basically doc hollywood, it's fine, kids like it.  then after like 10x, you start seeing all this nuance and subtlety and undertone, and you're like, it's inspired by 1940's french cinema, and i'm the only one who sees this.  then after the 20th viewing, you're all, this is knockoff schlock meant for mindless 3 year olds, i'm over it.  then after 30, you're like, am i missing something?  is this my favorite movie of all time?

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

On 5/18/2022 at 11:51 AM, henrygandorf said:

when my nephews were young, all they wanted to do was watch cars over and over.  i watched it like 35x.

after the first few times, you're kinda like, this is basically doc hollywood, it's fine, kids like it.  then after like 10x, you start seeing all this nuance and subtlety and undertone, and you're like, it's inspired by 1940's french cinema, and i'm the only one who sees this.  then after the 20th viewing, you're all, this is knockoff schlock meant for mindless 3 year olds, i'm over it.  then after 30, you're like, am i missing something?  is this my favorite movie of all time?

OMG, get out of my head.

On 5/18/2022 at 12:01 PM, aggie08 said:

Moana is the greatest achievement of cinema.

If you aren’t crying by the final “you know who you are” and the sacrifice of youthful innocence for the larger community that is both human and nature, well then you’re just an uneducated subhuman. 

6 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

I feel like somebody should mention Inside Out here, but nobody in their right mind would watch that more than once.

I loved that movie. Living it now with 14 and 12 year old girls.

11 minutes ago, UT_OB1 said:

Saw going to make an appearance?  The timeline would fit for them to introduce Hera right?  She dealt quite a bit with the founding of the Rebel alliance. Hell, even a younger (than mandolorian) Ashoka would fit. 

All of that would make sense.

This looks really good, to me.  No Skywalkers and minimal Jedi would be a nice show. 

I believe Saw was leaked by stellar skarsgard but if memory serves me right, Andor and Saw never met prior to R1.

Which was why Andor needed Jyn to make the introduction.

My guess is Stellans character knows Saw personally and believes in Saw’s more insurgent style tactics and begins to shape a younger Andor into the tip of the spear for the rebellion rather than a rebel with peace type.

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Js1 said:

I enjoyed episode 1

5 hours ago, mdmost said:

Younger daughter is excited for Ms Marvel. I'll watch it with her. She humors me on shows like Moon Knight. It seems a foreign concept on Surly but it's okay if Marvel caters some shows to the teen female demo. 

I liked it - it's just another facet of the MCU, but on a small/localized scale.  Watched it with one of my kids, and yeah, it's definitely got its target audience, but it flew by fast, so good editing and never bogged down (for me as an adult).

29 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

Yep. Enjoyed Ms. Marvel quite a bit.  Similar feel and style to the MCU Spider-Man flicks with the music and animation mixed in.  

Editing can make or break a lot of shows/movies, and this felt like the same editing as the Spider-Man flicks.  Just really good pacing/fun to watch.

5 minutes ago, Scary Stranger said:

Was trying a little too hard with the diversity but better than anticipated.

eye-roll-boring.gif

Get over it, dude. The USA, especially the NYC metro area is a diverse area. It's okay if Marvel does a show based on a comic featuring a Pakistani girl. Your fragile white male ego can take it. Well, maybe. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, Scary Stranger said:

Oh go fuck yourself. I was more referring to the shoe horning of the prayer in the first 10 seconds, the gay teacher, the trans kid in the hallway. All in the first 5 minutes. ie trying too hard. I am fully aware of the character and her background. Sanctimonious prick.

Go fuck yourself back, you little sensitive bitch. If that stuff bothers you then fuck right off because you're going to see more and more of it as Marvel gets more diverse. And that's great because if it bothers people with a narrow little worldview like you then I'm all for it. 

• Hook 'Em 2