Disney+ (Disney's new streaming service)

mdmost

Interesting.

Disney+ Announces ‘Nautilus’ Series Inspired by “20,000 Leagues Under the Sea”

Disney+ has ordered a new series inspired by Jules Verne’s “20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.” This 10-part live-action series will be called “Nautilus.”

A reimagining of the classic novel, “Nautilus” will tell the origin story of Captain Nemo and The Nautilus. It will be developed and co-produced by Moonriver TV’s Xavier Marchand and Seven Stories’ Anand Tucker. It will be written and executive produced by James Dormer and executive produced by Johanna Devereaux. Filming is set to begin in early 2022.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, mdmost said:

Interesting.

In.  Don't care how bad or good it is.

Remember seeing the original 20,000 Leagues film with Kirk Douglas as a kid.  Saw it in a library when I was like in 2nd or 3rd grade, and it blew my mind.

Here's hoping they stick to the original timeframe and don't make it contemporary.

• Hook 'Em 2

Surprised to see the meh takes on Raya. Usually people over-rotate on Disney/Pixar versus rounding down. We love Raya and have seen it multiple times, much more than any other Disney+ release. I think it must be a perfect Tween-Aged movie. Not too baby-ish feeling or with songs and not too dark or scary either as there is still quite a bit of cute and cuddly/friendly (the baby, the tuck tuck thing, the monkeys)

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, DonkeyCigars said:

Surprised to see the meh takes on Raya. Usually people over-rotate on Disney/Pixar versus rounding down. We love Raya and have seen it multiple times, much more than any other Disney+ release. I think it must be a perfect Tween-Aged movie. Not too baby-ish feeling or with songs and not too dark or scary either as there is still quite a bit of cute and cuddly/friendly (the baby, the tuck tuck thing, the monkeys)

My kids really enjoyed it (9 and 6) and have watched it a few times, but they’d didnt get obsessive over it like some of the other more popular ones. I enjoyed it enough for a kids movie I watched with them. I thought it was a very good middle of the road watchable movie 

4 hours ago, DonkeyCigars said:

Surprised to see the meh takes on Raya. Usually people over-rotate on Disney/Pixar versus rounding down. 

2 hours ago, UT_OB1 said:

My kids really enjoyed it (9 and 6) and have watched it a few times, but they’d didnt get obsessive over it like some of the other more popular ones. I enjoyed it enough for a kids movie I watched with them. I thought it was a very good middle of the road watchable movie 

I wonder if part of it is psychological - many saw it first on TV rather than at a theater, and it will always be on Disney+, and so maybe it doesn't seem as magical and/or they don't associate TV with cinematic quality (although that attitude is changing).

An example about the movie theater thing - Paw Patrol is currently streaming on Paramount+ - we are paying like $4 a month (got some yearly deal on it) and they know they will have access to it anytime they want it.  Had we (my kids are early elementary) seen it in the theater, I know they would have been asking to see it again, but because it's there on TV, along with a thousand other distractions, it's not the same.

13 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

An example about the movie theater thing - Paw Patrol is currently streaming on Paramount+ - we are paying like $4 a month (got some yearly deal on it) and they know they will have access to it anytime they want it.  Had we (my kids are early elementary) seen it in the theater, I know they would have been asking to see it again, but because it's there on TV, along with a thousand other distractions, it's not the same.

I think it has more to do with 1) the story and 2) how it is presented.  I think some shows obviously benefit from the theatre experience due to visuals and sound. However, a good story is a good story.  Kids constantly want to watch mandalorian or maleficent even though they only ever saw them on TV.  

I wish Disney would take another stab at the chronicles of Narnia or the dark is rising. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, UT_OB1 said:

I wish Disney would take another stab at the chronicles of Narnia

Netflix did a deal with C.S. Lewis's estate in late 2018 and has the rights to everything - all 7 books, and the rumor is they are starting with the prequel book.

It's still in development, but signing the deal at the end of 2018, getting things started in 2019 and then COVID has slowed everything down.

https://www.narniaweb.com/2021/08/source-netflixs-narnia-still-in-development/

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Cruella

really well done. Emma Thompson and Emma Stone are really good actors. They also cast Horace and Jasper really well.

Yeah didn’t know what I was signing up for when the wife turned it on, but it was a good watch even if they were doing Disney’s version of the devil wears Prada.

• 5 weeks later...

What if wraps up next week. Hawkeye doesn’t start up til 11/24, book of fett end of December. Did I miss a release announcement?  Feel like there is a D+ nerd gap in the schedule. I tho guy I remembered it being essentially full SW and MCU when they put out the line up last year, but I’m not finding anything for October through end of November 

4 hours ago, UT_OB1 said:

What if wraps up next week. Hawkeye doesn’t start up til 11/24, book of fett end of December. Did I miss a release announcement?  Feel like there is a D+ nerd gap in the schedule. I tho guy I remembered it being essentially full SW and MCU when they put out the line up last year, but I’m not finding anything for October through end of November 

Nada between October 13 and November 24 except the non-premium drops of Black Widow and Shang-Chi. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hayden Christensen Returning to ‘Star Wars’ With ‘Ahsoka’ Series

The actor will reprise the role of Anakin Skywalker, aka Darth Vader, in 
Ahsoka, the latest Star Wars live-action series from Lucasfilm and Disney+, multiple sources tell The Hollywood Reporter.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/star-wars-hayden-christensen-ahsoka-show-1235035459/

Filoni continues working to make the prequels better.
5-10 years from now, people will come across internet rants against the prequels from the early/mid 2000s and wonder why there was so much hate for them.

I don’t know about that, but the Clone Wars series totally redeemed the Anakin character for me. If Hayden is playing that character then I’m all for it.

• 2 weeks later...

Jenkins and writer Matthew Robinson have been developing Squadron for Lucasfilm for over a year, with the goal of starting production in 2022. It was to have gone into preproduction by the end of this year.However, sources say the producers and filmmaking team came to the realization that Jenkins’ schedule and other commitments wouldn’t allow for the window needed to make the movie in 2022.Thus, Squadron has been taken off the production schedule. The hope is that once Jenkins’ fulfills her previous commitments, she will be able to return to the project.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/patty-jenkins-star-wars-movie-rogue-squadron-delayed-1235044023/?fbclid=IwAR0HuyyQGpfaAabce7e3NSUXIW8wZbnrch8iGOfGZnywP1V4szstpot6Aq0

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Disney+ Day is Friday. I expected we'll see lots of new Marvel and Star Wars series announced or previewed. I bet we'll get an Obi Wan teaser. 

vader wont be shown, but we will get at least one ooooooo-brrrrrrrrrrrrr i bet.

1 minute ago, mdmost said:

You seemed to have missed the other part of that sentence in your quest to be snarky. 

Less snarky, more funny, but it wasn't funny.

FWIW, I don't think Jenkins' movie is canceled, she really wants to make it (her dad was a fighter pilot and died when she was young and she's talked a lot about wanting to make such movies), but she's just an amazingly hot property in Hollywood right now, for better of for worse.

And I wish the KOTOR was going to be a series, and not a movie.