48 hours in Dallas - Fort Worth

Sundodger

I am headed to Dallas / Fort Worth for 48 hours later this month to see the ballpark in Arlington for its final season.   On the agenda other than baseball is “Pecan Lodge” (around 1:00pm on a Tues.),  Reunion Tower afterwards, get in line at “Cattleacks” at 10:00am on Thurs., and  Whataburger whenever I can fit it in.  Any other recommendations?   I like local breweries with growlers (I collect glass growlers).   I’ll be there noonish Tuesday through noonish on a Thursday with a car.  I appreciate any suggestions!

When you go to the Rangers game, take a short detour over to Division Brewing off Division Street. @mdleast would recommend Turning Point beer in Bedford. 

https://turningpointbeer.com

In Dallas proper, Peticolas, Community, Noble Rey, Pegasus City, Manhattan Project and Deep Ellum are all around the downtown area. Lakewood and Oak Highlands are good but they're on the far NE end of town.

When you go to Pecan Lodge, stop off at Braindead Brewing. 

If you like burgers and are going towards Ft Worth, work in a trip to Fred’s Texas Cafe or Kincaid’s.

Edited by mdmost

When you go to the Rangers game, take a short detour over to Division Brewing off Division Street.@mdleast would recommend Turning Point beer in Bedford. 

https://turningpointbeer.com

In Dallas proper, Peticolas, Community, Noble Rey, Pegasus City, Manhattan Project and Deep Ellum are all around the downtown area. Lakewood and Oak Highlands are good but they're on the far NE end of town.
When you go to Pecan Lodge, stop off at Braindead Brewing. 
If you like burgers and are going towards Ft Worth, work in a trip to Fred’s Texas Cafe or Kincaid’s.

Hilarious. I grew up in Bedford. Place turned into a complete dump years after I graduated and we have just moved my folks out of there to prosper this year. AND NOW they open a fucking kickass brewery...in the old #1 Fun Street building of all places.

I have no reason to go back to Bedford, but damn if this place doesn't tempt me

On 4/11/2019 at 10:01 PM, Surly Bevo said:

Peticolas for the brewery.

This. Best brewery in DFW. Great tap room. Also, sounds like you should make an effort to get to Panther City BBQ in Fort Worth. It's supposed to be fuckballs amazing.

On 4/12/2019 at 4:28 AM, Landomatic said:

What hotel you stayin at?

I’ll be staying just east of Six Flags in Arlington.  I figure it is good central location since I fly in and out of DFW, am going to a baseball game, and want to see things in both Fort Worth and Dallas.

7 hours ago, C-Man said:

Also, sounds like you should make an effort to get to Panther City BBQ in Fort Worth. It's supposed to be fuckballs amazing.

I fly out Thursday afternoon so I am doing Cattleack instead.  If Panther City was open on Wednesday I’d give them a shot.   Appreciate the suggestions!

On 4/14/2019 at 5:29 PM, Sundodger said:

I’ll be staying just east of Six Flags in Arlington.  I figure it is good central location since I fly in and out of DFW, am going to a baseball game, and want to see things in both Fort Worth and Dallas.

This is probably a mistake.  There nothing in Arlington.  And I mean nothing.  You’re half pregnant if you stay there.  I’d pick either Dallas or Ft Worth (Dallas) to stay and run to do whatever it is you’re looking to do in the other when you do it.  With no rush hour, you can make it to either from the other in under an hour easily.  Same with the airport.

Also, maybe you mentioned it but I’m assuming you’re from Seattle.  My best friend lives in Seattle (he’s originally from here) and whenever he comes to town, along with BBQ and Whataburger, he insists on getting some good Tex Mex.  According to him, there’s shit for Tex Mex in Seattle.  So hit that too while you’re here.

On 4/13/2019 at 11:25 AM, strangulation! said:

Cowboys stadium is a football stadium. It has a field, a locker room, seats and a roof.

It's also a marvel of modern engineering and something that astounds you the first time you ever walk in the place but sure your description is totally cool.

OP - imagine someone telling you that CenturyLink is just another stadium with a field, locker room, seats and a couple of overhangs.

11 hours ago, ztejas said:

It's also a marvel of modern engineering and something that astounds you the first time you ever walk in the place but sure your description is totally cool.

OP - imagine someone telling you that CenturyLink is just another stadium with a field, locker room, seats and a couple of overhangs.

The Cowboys Stadium suggestion is a good one, especially since the whole point of my upcoming trip is to visit a sports venue.   I try to do at least one baseball trip a season.  Last year I did the five California ballparks in six days.

23 minutes ago, Sundodger said:

The Cowboys Stadium suggestion is a good one, especially since the whole point of my upcoming trip is to visit a sports venue.   I try to do at least one baseball trip a season.  Last year I did the five California ballparks in six days.

If you are into that sort of thing - or an architecture/engineering nerd to any degree then yes I would recommend checking it out. You can't understand the scale of it until you walk inside. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/20/2019 at 11:53 AM, ztejas said:

If you are into that sort of thing - or an architecture/engineering nerd to any degree then yes I would recommend checking it out. You can't understand the scale of it until you walk inside. 

This is correct.  And it's much more pronounced on a tour than a game day experience.  Don't care what team you're a fan of or what you think about the Cowboys and their stadium, unless you're a 10 year old girl, that stadium tour is cool as shit and well worth the price.

I appreciate all the suggestions!  I had a great trip and for the most part dodged the worst of the weather.   Due to the threat of bad weather last Tuesday I was able to score front row club seats for under $20 at GLP for the Rangers game.   The bad weather was to the north over Denton so no delays plus bonus baseball.   I ignored the suggestion to not stay in Arlington but for this short trip I made the right call.   The next trip I’ll probably stay in Dallas.

Hit Pecan Lodge first after picking up the rental car at DFW.  Line wasn’t terrible so I stayed in it while I pondered my order.  I appreciate the heads up on the bar tip above.   The brisket was excellent that day, the tamales just ok.   The Hefeweizen from Legal Draft of Arlington I had there may have been my favorite beer.  For breweries I visited Braindead, Deep Ellum, Four Corners, and Peticolas in Dallas, Cowtown and HopFusion in Fort Worth, and Humperdinck’s in Arlington.  All had at least one beer I really enjoyed.

The AT&T Stadium tour is totally worth it if you can go during a slower time.  I was with a small group so we got to visit Jerry Jones’s viewing box, the Cowboys locker room, the cheerleaders locker room, and the press box.

Cattleacks was fantastic.  I got there early and was one of the first in line.  Get there early if you ever go.  Line gets long and moves slow, but the food is way worth it.

• Like 1