2019 NBA Offseason Thread -- Trades, Free Agents, Firings, Retirements, Etc

Patrick Bateman

12 hours ago, SA-KC_Horn said:

I hope you ain't considering that NYK was the reason for the horrid melo yrs. His style of play caused it.

Absolutely he was the problem, that's why I said he was delusional.  But the real point was that if superstar players (real superstars) felt they could win in NY they would go to NY.  Davis saying he would go to NY if he felt he could win there is what every single player in the league would say.  That comment of his shouldn't be taken as "I want to go there and win as long as they enable me to be successful," it should be taken as "I wouldn't touch that with a ten foot pole because they won't enable players to succeed, otherwise I would consider NY."

22 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

nobody wants cp3, his gimpyness and his contract besides LeGM

Yeah, not exactly a Woj Bomb there.

"If you want to pay Chris Paul $125M over the next 3 seasons, we'll take your offers!"

No shit.

15 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Abbott's legit.  He may end up being wrong, but I'm sure that's why he heard and they are real sources.... not multiple sauces.  I think that's probably the best spot for him.

Man, Boston's going to regret not going all in last summer to get Kawhi (if that's what really happened).

They had so much to offer. I thought Kawhi was going to become a drama queen and mail it in this year. He’s the best all around player in the league. Kyrie and/or pick galore would have been worth it for him. 

Multiple NBA teams have had conversations about phasing the term "owner". At least two teams have already made the switch.

The issue gained momentum in 2018 when Draymond Green argued against the term on LeBron James' television show "The Shop."

"You shouldn't say owner," Green said.

Green suggested the title be changed to CEO, Chairman or Majority Shareholder.

"We refer to the owners of our teams as Governors; each team is represented on our Board of Governors," said the NBA in a statement to TMZ.

Lol yeah I don’t see the issue with any of this. I don’t see the issue with the using the term owner, but Im also not black and don’t see an issue with phasing out the word owner. Makes sense. But there will be plenty of fake outrage and Fox News will debate it for 15 minutes and tell him to shut up and dribble. It’s all so unbelievably predictable.

Edited by youdunnf'dup

It's a league dominated by black men with a sizable black fan base. If this is a concern for them and they want to address it, why do any of you care? why does it bother you?
How important is it really? It's been "owners" since man created the NBA.80 years later its suddenly needs to be changed?To what? Majority stakeholder?

I mean I think high level discussions should be used on better reffing and improving the game, not just me. Are we going to be bombarded with political agenda now because of this for Finals pregames?

Lol yeah I don’t see the issue with any of this. I don’t see the issue with the using the term owner, but Im also not black and don’t see an issue with phasing out the word owner. Makes sense. But there will be plenty of fake outrage and Fox News will debate it for 15 minutes and tell him to shut up and dribble. It’s all so unbelievably predictable.
I mean how are they honestly going to legally force someone from using owners? The rest of us not associated with the NBA are going to call Cuban the owner of the Mavs..as well as everybody else.

First of all, all of Draymond’s alternatives except I suppose majority shareholder are just factually incorrect nonsense.  A CEO answers to a board, and a Chairman or member of a Board of Governors / Board of Directors answer to shareholders.  I guess you can pretend the owner doesn’t own the team and somehow is just another cog in the machine that has to answer to the players or something, but it’s not true.
Second, it’s ludicrous to think anyone equates owning an NBA team with owning people, or that people making millions of dollars to play a kid’s game are entrapped in the lingering vestiges of slavery.
This nightmare scenario for these players would go away if they didnt force themselves to sign the contract presented to them by..........the owner

7 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

I mean how are they honestly going to legally force someone from using owners? The rest of us not associated with the NBA are going to call Cuban the owner of the Mavs..as well as everybody else.

I mean, you’re not wrong, but if the commish wants to rebrand the term, I’m sure it’ll catch on. Do I personally think it’s a big deal? No. Do I personally think there are any bad intentions behind the term? No. Definitely not trying to get all CR in this bitch, but I’ve always felt weird when a group of old to middle aged white people try to tell black or brown people what should or shouldn’t make them feel uncomfortable. Even if it’s just a word as simple as owner. It’s such a small change that I don’t have an issue with it. 

And I don’t buy the argument that it’s setting a precedent. Clearly Draymond Green isn’t outraged or anything like that. It was more of a “it’s just funny how in 2018 they still refer to a it as owner”. I believe it was in response to corny old blonde bitch telling Lebron to shut up and dribble. 

• Like 1

Same shit happened in baseball when they changed it from the disabled list to the injured list. People still refer to it as the DL because it’s been that way their whole life, but announcers will catch themselves now and say “excuse me, IL. I’ll have to get used to that one”. That was another one that I thought was kind of stupid.

My main point is, I kinda agree with all of you, but it’s just not something I’m going to stand on the table and say “no, fuck that. You’re not taking this one away from me. I refuse to listen to this rebrand, and I will forever refer to it as owner.” If they want to change it, it’ll catch on just like the IL has caught on in baseball. It’s such a small thing, who cares. This is more on Adam silver being SUPER fucking progressive than it is about Draymond Green or anyone else being offended by it. It was an off hand comment (that wasn’t even about the original “issue”) that gained traction because of Silver. 

Edited by youdunnf'dup
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Same shit happened in baseball when they changed it from the disabled list to the injured list. People still refer to it as the DL because it’s been that way their whole life, but announcers will catch themselves now and say “excuse me, IL. I’ll have to get used to that one”. That was another one that I thought was kind of stupid.

My main point is, I kinda agree with all of you, but it’s just not something I’m going to stand on the table and say “no, fuck that. You’re not taking this one away from me. I refuse to listen to this rebrand, and I will forever refer to it as owner.” If they want to change it, it’ll catch on just like the IL has caught on in baseball. It’s such a small thing, who cares. This is more on Adam silver being SUPER fucking progressive than it is about Draymond Green or anyone else being offended by it. It was an off hand comment (that wasn’t even about the original “issue”) that gained traction because of Silver. 

+1. I just can't be bothered to care if they want to change it, even if i agree with most of the points you guys have made. if they want to change it, let em change it. i don't think it's necessary, but it also doesn't bother me at all.

• Like 1

This isnt going to impact me in any way. You,me and everyone will continue to refer to them as owners. I know Steve Ballmer is the chairman of the clippers but who's going to remember what team adopts what title for the person who owns the team?

Its just ridiculous and like you said...last thing any of us want is a CR situation during what's been an entertaining finals.

One personal opinion of mine...is that this seems to be a very entitled generation especially with the power of social media. This has the fingerprints of lebron and his gang all over it to gain more popular status. Has any average black NBA fan ever brought up this issue to the NBA? Or any average black player for that matter? Does Draymond see Kaepernick becoming an international icon and think "man I can become way more popular if I say something like this"?

This to me will be Lebron, CP3 etc running with this on social media and we get to hear how great and brave they are for bringing up something so discriminating

38 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

This isnt going to impact me in any way. You,me and everyone will continue to refer to them as owners. I know Steve Ballmer is the chairman of the clippers but who's going to remember what team adopts what title for the person who owns the team?

You say that, but most people also call Lake Austin "Lady Bird Lake" now (I don't, fuck that, but most do). Eventually the term will go away. I don't see why that's a problem.

There's literally no valid reason to be against renaming them. And while you may not think the reasons FOR renaming them are valid, some people out there do. I'll happily defer to them.

I've always thought people using the word in fantasy football was both corny and a bit creepy. "I own Jamaal Charles this year!". This isn't really any different.

Edited by BradInATX
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

Haha. Didnt know that. Go ahead and defer. But the clippers and 6ers have 2 different names for their owners I read in the CBS sports article about this issue. I hope there isnt 28 different titles for the other teams

Rather than owner of the Timberwolves...are we just going to refer to Glen Taylor as old shithead?

1 hour ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Its just ridiculous and like you said...last thing any of us want is a CR situation during what's been an entertaining finals.

One personal opinion of mine...is that this seems to be a very entitled generation especially with the power of social media. This has the fingerprints of lebron and his gang all over it to gain more popular status. Has any average black NBA fan ever brought up this issue to the NBA? Or any average black player for that matter? Does Draymond see Kaepernick becoming an international icon and think "man I can become way more popular if I say something like this"?

This to me will be Lebron, CP3 etc running with this on social media and we get to hear how great and brave they are for bringing up something so discriminating

Watching you get tied up in knots about this is hilarious.... and FTR, the NBA hasn't done anything about this, these are decisions by two organizations, not a league wide initiative.

Every time this comes up I always remember that Dan Gilbert comic sans letter and how Stephen A went on ESPN to denounce it and like it to "a slave that had runaway from the Cavs plantation." That letter still makes me chuckle.

Anyway, I don't care if they want to change it, but I wish they would alter it to Business Owner. These teams are primarily entertainment brands with significant marketing departments. The players are important, but it's not the only thing driving revenue.

Unless he just hates the cold weather that much, it wouldn’t make any sense for him to leave Toronto. None. He’s already a basketball god in that city. It’s a better organization in an easier conference. A conference where he’s the new “king” of the conference. He would never be viewed the same way in LA. Not with the clippers, and obviously not if he’s playing on a team with Lebron. 

But at the end of all this, I’m sure we’ll see Kawhi with another “I’m a fun guy” press conference in LAC next year. 

4 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Unless he just hates the cold weather that much, it wouldn’t make any sense for him to leave Toronto. None. He’s already a basketball god in that city. It’s a better organization in an easier conference. A conference where he’s the new “king” of the conference. He would never be viewed the same way in LA. Not with the clippers, and obviously not if he’s playing on a team with Lebron. 

But at the end of all this, I’m sure we’ll see Kawhi with another “I’m a fun guy” press conference in LAC next year. 

It made no sense for him to leave San Antonio too

47 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

It made no sense for him to leave San Antonio too

I mean, if you remove bias, I probably wouldn’t want to live in SA as a professional athlete. And I lived there for awhile. In fact, outside of a handful of nba cities, SA has to be near the bottom of the list of places that an athlete would want to live (if we aren’t factoring in state income tax). So I get it. But Toronto is an awesome city. I was factoring that in. 

Edited by youdunnf'dup

40 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I mean, if you remove bias, I probably wouldn’t want to live in SA as a professional athlete. And I lived there for awhile. In fact, outside of a handful of nba cities, SA has to be near the bottom of the list of places that an athlete would want to live (if we aren’t factoring in state income tax). So I get it. But Toronto is an awesome city. I was factoring that in. 

I like Toronto a lot but it's not a better place to live than San Antonio for a young rich dude. Not by a long shot.

3 hours ago, BradInATX said:

You say that, but most people also call Lake Austin "Lady Bird Lake" now (I don't, fuck that, but most do). Eventually the term will go away. I don't see why that's a problem.

Fuck you Brad. It's Lady Bird Lake and will be called that until the end of time!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lady_Bird_Lake

"Lady Bird" Johnson was an incredible woman, so let me give you another "FUCK YOU" for good measure. 

Edited by totallynotabuttpirate