2019 NBA Offseason Thread -- Trades, Free Agents, Firings, Retirements, Etc

Patrick Bateman

1 hour ago, Jhawk said:

No one has done well with melo regardless of his contract size. He was in Houston playing for free as the 3rd wheel and he couldn’t be happy. Everyone always says it’s different this time and it hasn’t ever been different since he left denver. That take is more on melo than it is on the lakers. But I do think JR is a dumb add but those adds are necessary because of the mismanagement of the AD trade. 

Houston fans defended the signing fanatically last season on this board. It didn't work out very well for them, if Melo remained on their active roster for the entirety season I doubt they would've won the Southwest division because they improved dramatically once they rid themselves of that washed up cancer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, d2o said:

JR has his issues but he also is a good defender and pretty good shooter.    If you are depending on him consistently, then I would agree.    If he is just a late rotation guy, which I suspect he would be for the Lakers this yr, there is nothing wrong with him on a min deal. 

How could the AD trade have been managed better to help them sign better players this yr in your opinion?

My main issue in previous hate on the lakers is that they are betting a lot on AD and lebron not going down.  I get that you always have to bet on health but JR doesn't help that function either.  He's played more than 56% of the season twice in the last 6 seasons.  3 times he missed 50% or more of the season.  I was looking up his defense and since he only played 11 games last year he didn't even qualify to be in the listings for defensive win shares.  But hte prior year when he played 80 games he ranked 58th among guards.  He was 76th in defensive rating among guards.

His shooting will probably bounce back to 35-37% after being down last year, but I doubt he is going to be mentally sharp as he seemed to check out on thinking years ago.  I get that he could be a good 4-8mpg guy, but do you really think that is going to happen?  DO you really think that Melo is going to be the 8th man on a team?  That is pure delusion on melo.  On smith, the fact that he is even talked about means that this is a lebron move and not a smart/seasoned GM move.  Lebron's boys always get taken care of, just ask the cavs.  JR isn't going to be the last man in the rotation.  JR is going to be on the court a lot because Lebron takes care of his boys, just ask Tristan Thompson.

In the end, I just think it is funny that this is exactly what people were saying was going to happen once the AD trade got fucked up and now the rumor is that it will actually happen.  So the narrative has gone from "No that won't happen" to "It isn't that bad, these guys can still play."  The lakers are going to end up only being able to win if BOTH Ad and Lebron are healthy.  And I'm not talking about the post season either.... The won't win shit in the regular season without both on the floor.

9 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

The lakers are going to end up only being able to win if BOTH Ad and Lebron are healthy.  And I'm not talking about the post season either.... The won't win shit in the regular season without both on the floor.

This is kind of a moronic statement.  Of course they won't.  And the Rocketsd won't win if Harden goes down.  And the Bucks won't win if Giannis goes down.  And Portland won't win if Lillard goes down.  And so on.  Of course they won't.  But you assemble the roster on the assumption they will stay healthy and let fate take over from there.

• Like 1

https://www.latimes.com/business/realestate/hot-property/la-fi-hotprop-kevin-durant-nba-sells-malibu-home-20190626-story.html

NBA superstar Kevin Durant has wrapped up some business in Malibu, selling his oceanfront home on Broad Beach for $12.15 million.

Accounting for real estate commissions and other fees, the sale comes out as a bit of a wash for the 10-time all-star. He bought the place last year for $12.05 million, The Times previously reported in April.

1 hour ago, Jhawk said:

My main issue in previous hate on the lakers is that they are betting a lot on AD and lebron not going down.  I get that you always have to bet on health but JR doesn't help that function either.  He's played more than 56% of the season twice in the last 6 seasons.  3 times he missed 50% or more of the season.  I was looking up his defense and since he only played 11 games last year he didn't even qualify to be in the listings for defensive win shares.  But hte prior year when he played 80 games he ranked 58th among guards.  He was 76th in defensive rating among guards.

His shooting will probably bounce back to 35-37% after being down last year, but I doubt he is going to be mentally sharp as he seemed to check out on thinking years ago.  I get that he could be a good 4-8mpg guy, but do you really think that is going to happen?  DO you really think that Melo is going to be the 8th man on a team?  That is pure delusion on melo.  On smith, the fact that he is even talked about means that this is a lebron move and not a smart/seasoned GM move.  Lebron's boys always get taken care of, just ask the cavs.  JR isn't going to be the last man in the rotation.  JR is going to be on the court a lot because Lebron takes care of his boys, just ask Tristan Thompson.

In the end, I just think it is funny that this is exactly what people were saying was going to happen once the AD trade got fucked up and now the rumor is that it will actually happen.  So the narrative has gone from "No that won't happen" to "It isn't that bad, these guys can still play."  The lakers are going to end up only being able to win if BOTH Ad and Lebron are healthy.  And I'm not talking about the post season either.... The won't win shit in the regular season without both on the floor.

Signings haven't happened.   This is just rumors about minimum signings that will happen after major stuff.   Forming any opinion on the Lakers offseason on these rumors is just plain silly.

Not a lot of teams win games (reg season or playoffs) without their best two players.   You continuing to say this about the Lakers as if they will be some sort of exception is also silly.   Especially when they have yet to fill out their roster so you have no idea who else they will have.

Edited by d2o

11 minutes ago, d2o said:

Signings haven't happened.   This is just rumors about minimum signings that will happen after major stuff.   Forming any opinion on the Lakers offseason on these rumors is just plain silly.

Not a lot of teams win games (reg season or playoffs) without their best two players.   You continuing to say this about the Lakers as if they will be some sort of exception is also silly.   Especially when they have yet to fill out their roster so you have no idea who else they will have.

I should have been more clear... with the cast that the lakers are RUMORED to assembling, BOTH Davis AND Lebron need to be healthy to win in the regular season.  Meaning, I don't think Lebron and the bums are going to win games.  I don't think AD and the bums are going to win games.  Only both AD and Lebron with the bums will have a chance to win games.  A lot of teams have won a lot of games with 1 of their top two guys out because of reasonably good players around them, but I don't think the lakers will be able to do that, with even always having 1 of the top 5 players in the league able to suit up.

Bottom line, the Lakers need to stop worrying about Kawhi/other big names and do what you said and spread that money around to QUALITY (read: not Melo or JR) role players.  But they're the lakers so they'll probably sign JR and Melo first and use up 75% of their cap space in doing so.

2 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

I should have been more clear... with the cast that the lakers are RUMORED to assembling, BOTH Davis AND Lebron need to be healthy to win in the regular season.  Meaning, I don't think Lebron and the bums are going to win games.  I don't think AD and the bums are going to win games.  Only both AD and Lebron with the bums will have a chance to win games.  A lot of teams have won a lot of games with 1 of their top two guys out because of reasonably good players around them, but I don't think the lakers will be able to do that, with even always having 1 of the top 5 players in the league able to suit up.

Bottom line, the Lakers need to stop worrying about Kawhi/other big names and do what you said and spread that money around to QUALITY (read: not Melo or JR) role players.  But they're the lakers so they'll probably sign JR and Melo first and use up 75% of their cap space in doing so.

Good grief

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, WJC88 said:

hahaha. He's making this so difficult.

Jhawk, just write this- "I hate the Lakers/LBJ/AD and I really don't know why" and we will understand. 

Exactly.   Trying to make rational points for irrational hatred doesn't work.

1 minute ago, Burt Macklin said:

It would be a sign and trade, so Butler’s not leaving any money on the table.

Yeah they closed that loophole in the last CBA.   If you are part a S&T you cannot get the 5th yr.     That's why we haven't seen very many S&Ts the last few yrs.    There is no benefit for the player to do it.   In this situation, it would be the Rockets that need to get it done.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, d2o said:

JR has his issues but he also is a good defender and pretty good shooter.    If you are depending on him consistently, then I would agree.    If he is just a late rotation guy, which I suspect he would be for the Lakers this yr, there is nothing wrong with him on a min deal. 

How could the AD trade have been managed better to help them sign better players this yr in your opinion?

JR hasn't had a good season since 15-16'.  He'll be 34 in September.  Now, he only really has one thing to do but the likelihood he ever is good on defense again is remote.  Maybe he can recapture his shooting touch with some more open looks, but his last 3 PER's don't get over 8.5.  8.5!  Last season was 7.8.  In short, JR sucks.  Now maybe you can get a dead cat bounce.  Maybe he comes in motivated for one more run.  Maybe he smokes so much that he feels like he's in back in 2014.  But the odds aren't good.  He'll be fun to watch because his court awareness is hilarious but beyond that, he's nothing if he plays like the last 3 years.

3 minutes ago, Machinator said:

I would imagine Gordon and Tucker probably only get interest from contending teams who will have late firsts.  How interesting is that to the Sixers?

9 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

I would imagine Gordon and Tucker probably only get interest from contending teams who will have late firsts.  How interesting is that to the Sixers?

Maybe Capela doesn't fit exactly with what the Sixers are doing, but I think Gordon and Tucker make a lot of sense on that roster. Not sure why the Sixers are hunting draft picks instead of adding two tough minded vets who can spread the floor.  They seem like they could use guys like that and they both have reasonable contracts.  Tucker is a plus defender as well. Gordon would make up for losing Redick in free agency, if that happens. If they could get those two plus a first round pick from someone else for Butler, that's arguably more than they paid for him: Covington, Saric and #2.

11 minutes ago, d2o said:

So I'm misreading that? The Rockets are hoping to get Jimmy Butler in a S&T for the best first round pick they scrounge up around the league from one of those three guys? Not sure why Philly would be that interested in helping them out. I suppose if the choice is letting him walk for free or getting a first round pick, the latter sounds better but still.... 

14 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Maybe Capela doesn't fit exactly with what the Sixers are doing, but I think Gordon and Tucker make a lot of sense on that roster. Not sure why the Sixers are hunting draft picks instead of adding two tough minded vets who can spread the floor.  They seem like they could use guys like that and they both have reasonable contracts.  Tucker is a plus defender as well. Gordon would make up for losing Redick in free agency, if that happens. If they could get those two plus a first round pick from someone else for Butler, that's arguably more than they paid for him: Covington, Saric and #2.

Tucker has a good expiring contract but he'll be 35 next playoffs.  We love him and he's a great role player but you're trading a star for a 35 year old role player and an inconsistent injury risk (Gordon was 12.2 PER, .059 WS/48, -0.5 VORP last season).  Gordon isn't nearly as good as Redick although JJ is in decline so it'll get closer.

I think Philly thinks they can re-sign Butler is the rub but I'd want something a little more or call his bluff if he makes demands.  Teams never call player's bluffs though.  Imagine if Philly would have just had enough sense and vision to make the Kawhi deal?  He'd probably getting ready to re-sign there.

16 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

So I'm misreading that? The Rockets are hoping to get Jimmy Butler in a S&T for the best first round pick they scrounge up around the league from one of those three guys? Not sure why Philly would be that interested in helping them out. I suppose if the choice is letting him walk for free or getting a first round pick, the latter sounds better but still.... 

No, Houston pretty much has to clear all of those contracts or at least minimum of two and some other things to fit Butler in.  BYC, boys!

Here:

Let's hear some predictions on the top 10 free agents (as ranked by sporting news).  Here are mine:

1. KD - Brooklyn

2. Kawhi - Toronto

3. Kyrie - Brooklyn

4. butler - I think this is the toughest one.  Going with Clippers out of nowhere.

5. Kemba - Charlotte

6. Klay - GSW

7. Middleton - Milwaukee

8. Tobais - Philly

9. Horford - Clippers

10. D'angelo - Boston

11 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Not a bad consolation prize. 85% of Kyrie's game, 0% of his headaches.

Yeah sounds like CHA is balking at paying him so he is now in play for other teams.    I get CHA not wanting to give him a huge deal but if they lose him they are immediately the worst team in the league with ZERO flexibility to get better.  

6 minutes ago, d2o said:

Yes as their own FA BOS could have offered Kyrie 190/5yrs.     As a FA from another team Kemba can only get 140/4yrs.

Thx.... Kemba is also 2yrs older than Kyrie and as mentioned before his stats are slightly lower than Kyrie's.  

Still hard to believe KD might tie his future NBA career success to playing with Kyrie.

giphy.gif

54 minutes ago, d2o said:

Remember when I thought Andrew Wiggins was gonna be good?   That was cute.

I've never been particularly high on him, but even I thought, at minimum, that he'd be an elite wing defender the second he came into the league.

It turns out that you actually have to try and care to play defense.