2019 NBA Offseason Thread -- Trades, Free Agents, Firings, Retirements, Etc

Patrick Bateman

Woj story: https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/27171170/sources-okc-trades-russ-rockets-paul

The Oklahoma City Thunder have agreed to a blockbuster trade to send Russell Westbrook to the Houston Rockets to reunite him James Harden, league sources told ESPN.

The Rockets will send guard Chris Paul, two protected first-round picks (2024 and 2026) and two pick swaps (2021 and 2025) to the Thunder, league sources told ESPN.

The Rockets are reuniting two former MVP guards who started their careers together with the Thunder. This was a deal that Harden and Westbrook were each enthusiastic about happening, league sources said.

Thunder general manager Sam Presti worked with Westbrook and his agent Thad Foucher to help honor his hopes of playing with the Rockets, league sources said. The Thunder also discussed a possible deal with the Miami Heat, sources said.

Oklahoma City has accumulated eight first-round picks since the June 20 NBA Draft, creating a long-game unseen in recent NBA history.

The Thunder could continue to work to find a new team for the 34-year-old Paul, league sources said. If the Thunder keep Paul, they'll have a representative lineup that currently includes him, center Steven Adams and forward Danilo Gallinari.

Westbrook, 30, has four years and $171 million remaining on his contract with a player option in the final year of his deal set to pay him $47 million should he opt in.

After Paul George's trade to the Los Angeles Clippers, Westbrook and Foucher worked with the Thunder to find an agreeable path forward on Westbrook's future with the franchise. With free agency effectively concluded, and Westbrook's list of preferred destinations extremely short, the timing made trade negotiations complicated.

Still, the Thunder wanted to accommodate Westbrook's wishes as much as possible, which was first and foremost to reunite with former teammate Harden in Houston, while also finding a trade that fit OKC's objective of rebuilding.

13 minutes ago, NowThis said:

OKC better win a title by 2030, hopefully in Seattle.. Wouldn't that be a killer for the Okies. 

You actually think Seattle will have an arena by then? It's been 10 years and they still haven't gotten it done. 

Lol damn let the hate flow pussy. Yao? Hahahaha rockets living rent free in your pussy I see.

I mean mean he’s a great player and makes the rockets more of a threat. But at what point does all that wheeling and dealing come home to roost? When these guys are done in 4 years what you doing then? And no, they’re not legit contenders right now, at least not more than the Lakers and Clippers. Utah and Denver are probably above as well.

They don’t fit, but it’ll be fun to watch them.

Just now, Rockethorn1978 said:

Lol damn let the hate flow pussy. Yao? Hahahaha rockets living rent free in your pussy I see.

The rockets live in perpetual next year mode in yalls heads.   It’s always gonna formulate next year.   Y’all offloaded a bad contract for a worse one, and for a player that is no longer compatible  with your best player.  Next Year Birches!!!

Just now, Drew said:

I mean mean he’s a great player and makes the rockets more of a threat. But at what point does all that wheeling and dealing come home to roost? When these guys are done in 4 years what you doing then? And no, they’re not legit contenders right now, at least not more than the Lakers and Clippers. Utah and Denver are probably above as well.

The nba is the fastest to turn stuff around than any sport. The knee jerk to “you’ll never recover” is dumb. You think the rockets can’t deal Westbrook for picks and players too if he’s a train wreck? You think they couldn’t deal harden too and get a shit ton of picks back if they wanted to rebuild? Just stop with the end is near approach when it’s not that he’s to flip stuff and rebuild.

3 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

The rockets live in perpetual next year mode in yalls heads.   It’s always gonna formulate next year.   Y’all offloaded a bad contract for a worse one, and for a player that is no longer compatible  with your best player.  Next Year Birches!!!

Cool story bro. 

Just now, Rockethorn1978 said:

Cool story bro. 

I bet you were super excited about how Melo was gonna be a good 6-man last year when fans of every other team were telling you it would end up as a train wreck, and it wouldn’t make it through the year.  Just like you knew the next year that Yao and TMac would be healthy, and you’d run it back to....somewhere 

Just now, Trey3216 said:

I bet you were super excited about how Melo was gonna be a good 6-man last year when fans of every other team were telling you it would end up as a train wreck, and it wouldn’t make it through the year.  Just like you knew the next year that Yao and TMac would be healthy, and you’d run it back to....somewhere 

Literally no one said melo was the missing piece but keep making up shit to fit your narrative. Who does “trey” root for? What nba team is smashing it outside a select few? Not sure I see your point outside to you clearly follow the rockets moves and they get under your skin. Rent free pussy lol.

2 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Literally no one said melo was the missing piece but keep making up shit to fit your narrative. Who does “trey” root for? What nba team is smashing it outside a select few? Not sure I see your point outside to you clearly follow the rockets moves and they get under your skin. Rent free pussy lol.

I guess you didn’t see this thread last year   Every homer Rockets fan was hovering away about how Melo was gonna be a good teammate, he was gonna be a 6-man.  When 99% of the rest of everyone disagreed, we’d never watched basketball before.  But we all made our comments because we’d watched basketball before

24 minutes ago, Drew said:

Morey doesn’t care. He can just leave a little before it goes to shit.

Just now, youdunnf'dup said:

I mean, that’s a pretty small sample size. He was 38% during the regular season, and 37% for his career. That’s respectable 

The Rockets acquired Paul for the playoffs, it nearly worked out in year 1, but he got hurt. In year 2, he was not very good but in a handful of games.

3 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

OKC could give them picks at this point just to take Paul's shitty contract and that's a good deal for both sides.

Honestly, Miami seems desperate and has contracts to match. I could see OKC getting one more first out of this, or just trading paul for matching salary. I doubt they give up a pick to move him to MIA.

Edited by Burt Macklin

4 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

Would really be something if Paul was bought out and went to the Lakers. Would not be shocking to see that happen honestly. 

Minus the bought out part, "Paul to the Lakers" is where my mind immediately went.  As well as Melo.  I envision that to be their future destination.

19 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

The Rockets acquired Paul for the playoffs, it nearly worked out in year 1, but he got hurt. In year 2, he was not very good but in a handful of games.

Lol ok. You think he’s a better fit than CP3. I don’t. I have a feeling you guys are going to hate Russ by the all star break when he’s 2nd in your team in 3pt fgs attempted while shooting 25% from 3

Edited by youdunnf'dup
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Lol ok. You think he’s a better fit than CP3. I don’t. I have a feeling you guys are going to hate Russ by the all star break when he’s 2nd in your team in 3pt fgs attempted while shooting 25% from 3

I have no idea, but everyone said that Harden and Paul wouldn't work at all, and they lead the league in wins the 1st year, and probably would have won a title if Paul doesn't get hurt. I think Westbrook is over-rated, but is a better player than Paul right now. The whole idea is to maximize the window with Harden in his prime.