2019 NBA Offseason Thread -- Trades, Free Agents, Firings, Retirements, Etc

Patrick Bateman

2 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

NO should have the right to trade AD anywhere they want.  And they do.  And AD should have the right to not sign an extension with that team.  And he does.

Of course, his value goes way up if he agrees to sign an extension, which he apparently will do with NY or LA.

he wont sign an extension anywhere.    He gets less money on the books doing so instead of waiting and re-signing after his contract is up.    That is the risk cause any team that trades for him will have to take his word that he will re-sign.

4 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

NO should have the right to trade AD anywhere they want.  And they do.  And AD should have the right to not sign an extension with that team.  And he does.

Of course, his value goes way up if he agrees to sign an extension, which he apparently will do with NY or LA.

But he can't, that's why all of this his hilarious.  Sure, he can give verbal assurances, but those are just promises.... just like Kyrie apparently gave verbal assurances he was going to re-up with Boston after this season.  He can't get the most money allowable until he takes it to free agency so unless he wants a lot less money just to stroke some other people's egos, he wont' be signing with anyone until next summer.

22 hours ago, d2o said:

We've seen this twice over the last couple seasons.  Guys wanting to get traded to one place while the team takes the best package and send him elsewhere.   PG stayed and I wouldn't eb completely surprised if Kawhi ends up staying.    I don't think the Pels will bend and trade him to where he wants to go unless they get a great deal.   

The hand wringing is overdone IMO

It isn’t necessarily about getting just anything for players that do this, it is about getting the best package possible. If Miami has the number one pick and some other assets they might trade it all for AD. But because he said he wants to be a certain place then Miami won’t offer all they could in that scenario. The pels are going to get something for him but I wouldn’t take all of the Lakers lineup sans lebron for him. When AD limited the teams he would sign with he did two things, limited the asset pool the pelicans could get to those teams, and/or limited the assets other teams would even offer to take the risk. 

Thats his right as a player, and he should have that right. But if he is going to be sent somewhere he hates (say Phoenix) then he might realize he should have just let it play out in NOLA for a year rather than just withering away for a year in Phoenix. It can be seen as a disservice to both team and player by going public. They should communicate with each other more openly it seems before they get to this point. 

The bigger problem is this is opening the door to the Odell Beckham scenario where a player signs a massive deal to get the deal then demands a trade immediately. That is a huge detriment to the league and actions approaching that scenario need to be curtailed ASAP. 

Edited by Jhawk

40 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

It isn’t necessarily about getting just anything for players that do this, it is about getting the best package possible. If Miami has the number one pick and some other assets they might trade it all for AD. But because he said he wants to be a certain place then Miami won’t offer all they could in that scenario. The pels are going to get something for him but I wouldn’t take all of the Lakers lineup sans lebron for him. When AD limited the teams he would sign with he did two things, limited the asset pool the pelicans could get to those teams, and/or limited the assets other teams would even offer to take the risk. 

Thats his right as a player, and he should have that right. But if he is going to be sent somewhere he hates (say Phoenix) then he might realize he should have just let it play out in NOLA for a year rather than just withering away for a year in Phoenix. It can be seen as a disservice to both team and player by going public. They should communicate with each other more openly it seems before they get to this point. 

The bigger problem is this is opening the door to the Odell Beckham scenario where a player signs a massive deal to get the deal then demands a trade immediately. That is a huge detriment to the league and actions approaching that scenario need to be curtailed ASAP. 

Again we just saw it happen twice in the last two yrs.   Indy got an All Star in Oladipo and a very good young player in Sabonis.   SA got an all-star in Derozen, a rotation guy in Poeltl and a 1st.    Neither of them traded the player to where they wanted to go.  

Guys have been asking for trades for yrs and saying where they wanted to go.  Some get there some don't.   Its not some doom for the league either way.

And in your scenario if a player got a big deal then requested a trade he wouldn't have the leverage that AD has cause he would have multiple years left on his deal.   The team that just signed him would get better offers cause they know they have him locked up for the rest of his contract.

The hand-wringing over this is over done.

Orleans should not trade  AD, but trade with Charlotte: Kemba and two unconditional first round picks for jrue, randle, and two first round picks.

Go for broke this year with a core of AD, Kemba, and Zion.  With enough success you can sell Davis and Walker on coming back.

9 hours ago, Llogg said:

Orleans should not trade  AD, but trade with Charlotte: Kemba and two unconditional first round picks for jrue, randle, and two first round picks.

Go for broke this year with a core of AD, Kemba, and Zion.  With enough success you can sell Davis and Walker on coming back.

dafuq?  That doesn't make them better.

6 minutes ago, Llogg said:

In case it's not clear, any post I make recommending trades is intended to be utterly ludicrous.

Always impossible to tell around here.  You could fill an All-NBA team with the guys that some posters were wanting Houston to trade Ryan Anderson for a couple years back.

6 hours ago, d2o said:

dafuq?  That doesn't make them better.

Regardless..... Kemba seems very tied to Charlotte.  Wow.  FTR, he would be a terrible guy to supermax, but seems like a good dude.  I think he could be a a weak #2 or strong #3 on a championship squad.

Also this..... smh, Lakers.  My god.

The Pelicans want Kyle Kuzma as part of a trade package with the Lakers for Davis. Los Angeles does not want to trade Kuzma. (Tania Ganguli, Los Angeles Times)

15 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Regardless..... Kemba seems very tied to Charlotte.  Wow.  FTR, he would be a terrible guy to supermax, but seems like a good dude.  I think he could be a a weak #2 or strong #3 on a championship squad.

Also this..... smh, Lakers.  My god.

Yeah it wasn't necessarily a knock on Kemba.   He can be great as #3.  I love his game and attitude but if CHA gives him the supermax they will be crying about it for the next 5 yrs.

My reaction was more about the thought of NO giving up Jrue and Randle to get Kemba.    For what NO will need from their pg, Jrue is a much better fit.   He is a very good defender along with a good scorer and playmaker.   The defensive aspect makes him a much better fit.  

I hope I don't have to add the Lakers to the list of teams that wouldn't give up marginal guys to get superstars.   If Pelinka lets Kuz keep him from getting AD he should be fired on the spot.

Edited by d2o

3 minutes ago, d2o said:

Yeah it wasn't necessarily a knock on Kemba.   He can be great as #3.  I love his game and attitude but if CHA gives him the supermax they will be crying about it for the next 5 yrs.

My reaction was more about the thought of NO giving up Jrue and Randle to get Kemba.    For what NO will need from their pg, Jrue is a much better fit.   He is a very good defender along with a good scorer and playmaker.   The defensive aspect makes him a much better fit.  

I hope I don't have to add the Lakers to the list of teams that wouldn't give up marginal guys to get superstars.   If Pelinka lets Kuz keep him from getting AD he should be fired on the spot.

Yea, I didn't think you were knocking him, just putting out there that Kemba and Charlotte seemed destined to sign an extension.  Charlotte's salary cap is so bad right now.  Batum, Biyombo and MKG with just awful, awful contracts and they all have a minimum of another year.  Maybe they can flip Biyombo in season to a team who wants an expiring but really, Charlotte should be trying to rebuild and reset their cap for 2020, but they won't, because they're Charlotte and horribly managed.  The fact that team sniffed a playoff spot is a testament to how well they were coached and poor the East was outside of the top 4.

2 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Yea, I didn't think you were knocking him, just putting out there that Kemba and Charlotte seemed destined to sign an extension.  Charlotte's salary cap is so bad right now.  Batum, Biyombo and MKG with just awful, awful contracts and they all have a minimum of another year.  Maybe they can flip Biyombo in season to a team who wants an expiring but really, Charlotte should be trying to rebuild and reset their cap for 2020, but they won't, because they're Charlotte and horribly managed.  The fact that team sniffed a playoff spot is a testament to how well they were coached and poor the East was outside of the top 4.

They have HORRIBLE contracts.   Not sure if MJ is directly involved with those or if its just his GMs but man those deals franchise cripplers individually.   Having all three on one team is unreal.   

8 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Good news though: Marvin Williams opted into his $15M final year yesterday.  Surprising no one.

I knew I was missing one.  So 3 of them (MKG once he opts in, Williams and Biyombo) are expiring so there's hope if you have a smart GM.  You can probably gain some small marginal gains if you have a smart GM, set yourself up to get some real players either at the deadline or next summer.  Imagine if that team would have gotten the top pick or maybe top 3 pick?  Maybe they could try to get in the AD sweepstakes, but alas, I think they're destined to trying to sign their own players and running it mostly back.  Maybe they can trade trash for trash.  Their biggest issue is they're a horrible drafting team.  Malik Monk, Frank Kaminsky, Noah Vonleh were all lottery picks and are mostly deeper bench guys.  Yuck.  Gotta draft better.

Edited by Patrick Bateman

8 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Good news though: Marvin Williams opted into his $15M final year yesterday.  Surprising no one.

Damn, forgot about seeing that the other day.     that is like 70M tied up in four guys that are no better than 7th man on a good team.

On one hand, I commend Kemba for having the self awareness to realize that they'll never seriously compete if they pay someone like him the supermax. On the other hand, he's publicly open to taking a pay cut for a franchise that desperately needs him, so they can more ably afford those losers?

Memphis Grizzlies center Jonas Valanciunas is declining the $17.6M player option on his 2019-20 contract, clearing the way to become an unrestricted free agent this summer, league sources told ESPN.

Valanciunas' primary intention will be to negotiate a new longer-term deal with the Grizzlies, league sources said. In the post Marc Gasol-era, Valanciunas remains the franchise's focus to continue as its starting center.

Memphis VP of Basketball Operations Zach Kleiman and Valanciunas' agent, Leon Rose of CAA, are expected to work aggressively on finding the pathway to a new deal, sources said.

Valanciunas, 27, had the most productive stretch of his career with the Grizzlies after getting traded from Toronto in February -- averaging 19.9 points and 10.7 rebounds in 19 games.

Valanciunas, who'll be starting his eighth NBA season, has averaged 11.8 points and 8.4 rebounds a game in his career.

So this is one of those deals where he declines the option so they can extend him. I think he's a nice player and he put up good numbers on a tanking team, but I don't know if I pay him in excess of $17 million / year for very long.  I really like Morant and JJJ. You can build around that but $67 million for Mike Conley over the next two years at age 32 and 33? Yuck.

10 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

So this is one of those deals where he declines the option so they can extend him. I think he's a nice player and he put up good numbers on a tanking team, but I don't know if I pay him in excess of $17 million / year for very long.  I really like Morant and JJJ. You can build around that but $67 million for Mike Conley over the next two years at age 32 and 33? Yuck.

They won’t have much trouble unloading Conley’s contract if they want to.

Kemba could sign for the minimum and they still wouldn’t have any cap space.

58 minutes ago, CBT said:

Kemba could sign for the minimum and they still wouldn’t have any cap space.

I think he’s using reverse psychology. He knows if he signs a max contract he is stuck there for 5 years and then he’s 34 with no rings, barely any playoffs, and maybe the vet minimum to keep his career going. So... he signs for less than the max so his contract can be moved. Waits 1 year and when they don’t do shit but hand out more bad contracts in 2020 he requests a trade. He’s moved and gets a chance to be somebody. 

15 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Lol didn’t Vegas pick the lakers last summer too? The lakers have a 0 chance of winning. Even if they get AD they will have nothing around them worth a shit.

Yeah I don't get it either. As of now how it stands, I'd put the Rockets at the top of the West odds wise. Warriors without Klay and KD next season (most likely) are going to be pretty pedestrian. Blazers and Nuggets still unproven as of now. Next year is the Rockets best chance to get out the West. The team they could never get past will be a shell of themselves.