2019 NBA Offseason Thread -- Trades, Free Agents, Firings, Retirements, Etc

Patrick Bateman

17 minutes ago, alincoln said:

Hilarious that one tweet can completely expose the cynicism and hypocrisy of the entire NBA from the league office and owners (excuse me,  Governors) all the way down to the players.  Fashionably and conveniently woke frauds.

Amen.

I don't want ever want to hear Lebron or KD or Steph or Pop or Silver talk about social justice issues or how they’re such brave SJWs.

Shut up and dribble.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

You do business with bad guys, you shouldn't punish people for saying they're bad guys.  Morey didn't even criticize the NBA's business interests in China nor China's regime in specifics.  He supported a movement for basic human rights.  The NBA should shut it's pie hole and hope they don't get crushed in the realm of public opinion.  And yes, Adam Silver or one of his lackeys absolutely has their hands on this.

This is silly.  He voiced public support for a separatist movement in a country with the world's largest economy and in which billions are at stake for the league.  

Why is it in situations like this everyone suffers from collective amnesia as to what businesses are designed to do?  Nothing matters except money.  China could be gassing millions of uighurs and the NBA would not give a shit as long as Chinese keep streaming NBA games by the tens of millions.  

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

36 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Quadruple fuck that guy.   Fertitta’s reply was sketchy enough, but this bullshit deserves some actual blowback on the Nets and the NBA.

Guys, it's okay that China wants to extradite Hong Kong citizens and forego that whole due process thing. They just really value their sovereignty!

16 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Guys, it's okay that China wants to extradite Hong Kong citizens and forego that whole due process thing. They just really value their sovereignty!

Honestly, fuck the NBA. It's cool for Pop to criticize Trump, they love when LeBron and his teammates wear special sneakers for every victim of gun violence. Those are easy stands to take.

But when it comes time to put up or shut up, they all suck that corporate cock.

It's funny too because my friends and i used to sarcastically say in high school "i care like the NBA cares" when we didn't give a fuck about something. Turns out we were right i guess.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Machinator said:

I don't think this is going to go the way he wants it to..... Terrible first impression.  Probably should have just stayed quiet and pumped up his own team brand.  

My favorite part is treating the Chinese citizenship as a united politically thinking homogenous group who decided they were hurt and angry when they have no rights to assembly or speech and are ruled with an iron authoritarian fist.  Also..... I thought twitter was banned in China???  How could they be outraged or upset?  What a fucking sellout.

On a phone so can’t post link, but the statement the NBA sent out in English is different than the one in Chinese, which was much more pointed in its criticism of Morey’s tweet.

But who cares about human rights violations when there are bathrooms to protest and unpopular presidents to call a bum.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, HRSchenker said:

What has the world come to when an American basketball player in Houston has to apologize because his general manager openly supports democracy? Money talks. Adam Silver should be ashamed of himself

He should be ashamed for doing his job?

7 hours ago, Fozzz said:

He should be ashamed for doing his job?

When that job is sucking tiny, autocratic, Chinese dick because they have the emotional response of children when challenged, maybe?

Actually, fuck me. I just saw his press conference and he said all the right things. I guess the ball is in China’s court. I’m sure their response will be reasonable.

Edited by Kermit
Adam Silver told me to get my shine box.

45 minutes ago, Kermit said:

When that job is sucking tiny, autocratic, Chinese dick because they have the emotional response of children when challenged, maybe?

Actually, fuck me. I just saw his press conference and he said all the right things. I guess the ball is in China’s court. I’m sure their response will be reasonable.

They're dictating to us what freedom of speech means

https://apnews.com/cacbc722f6834e64814f82b14752682c?utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=AP&utm_campaign=SocialFlow

CCTV said it would not show the games between the Los Angeles Lakers and Brooklyn Nets, who will play Thursday in Shanghai and Saturday in Shenzhen. Basketball is wildly popular in China and those two teams — largely because of LeBron James starring for the Lakers and Chinese e-commerce giant Alibaba’s co-founder Joe Tsai now owning the Nets — would have almost certainly been a huge television draw.

“We’re strongly dissatisfied and oppose Adam Silver’s claim to support Morey’s right to freedom of expression,” CCTV said in a statement. “We believe that any remarks that challenge national sovereignty and social stability are not within the scope of freedom of speech.”

The broadcaster is also reviewing all its cooperation and exchanges involving the NBA, said the statement posted to CCTV Sports’ official social media account.

Edited by Tracer Bullet

This isn’t going to end well and China will not be satisfied until Adam silver public ally condemns Morey. Basically they want Silver to be a communist and now he is painted into a corner.

question for the nba know it alls on here.

Lets say Morey gets fired? With all the other instances of pop and lebron And hundreds of other players exercising freedom of speech and not being fired or fined wouldn’t that set a strong foundation for a huge Morey lawsuit? I mean getting fired for a tweet supporting human rights? Is that a fireable offense? 

1 hour ago, Message Board User said:

I guess that new arena actually isn't going to pay for itself. The "light-years ahead financially" mantra must be dependent on China (completely unsurprisingly, they're #1 in the Chinese market).

I expected better from someone with very, very personal experience with government and civil unrest.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Well, much like when Howard Beale started ranting about the wrong corporation in Network, I imagine this episode will mark the end of NBA wokeness for a while.  That CYA statement from Silver notwithstanding, I bet all the players and league personnel will be strongly encouraged to keep their political opinions to themselves now.

Yup. You can tell from that Kerr response that he was effectively neutered. I wonder what Pop is going to say tonight? 

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/27803863/lakers-nba-cares-event-shanghai-canceled-amid-china-rift

Not surprised, China doesn't care for the Special Olympics. An eternal fuck you to China.

"We're strongly dissatisfied and oppose Adam Silver's claim to support Morey's right to freedom of expression," the statement read. "We believe that any remarks that challenge national sovereignty and social stability are not within the scope of freedom of speech."

Clearly, they don't understand the meaning of freedom of speech. Not surprised and again fuck China. Also, the Chinese are probably the greatest threat to global social stability - project much CPC?

1 hour ago, UDontKnow said:

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/27803863/lakers-nba-cares-event-shanghai-canceled-amid-china-rift

Not surprised, China doesn't care for the Special Olympics. An eternal fuck you to China.

Clearly, they don't understand the meaning of freedom of speech. Not surprised and again fuck China. Also, the Chinese are probably the greatest threat to global social stability - project much CPC?

At some point (I hope) the NBA has to grow a spine and tell China to fuck off with the toddler tantrum and themselves pull games, apparel, etc out of China.  

Take the short to medium term hit in revenue, but if you're really woke about rights like you say you are, the Chicoms can't ban everything in the world forever.  

At some point watching some uncoordinated Chinese kids chucking a ball around in their own pro league won't fill the needs or wants of the populace.  

We won the Cold War because Russians wanted denim jeans and grocery stores.  The worst thing this country can do is sit idly by and thus help fuel the CCP's Orwellian strangehold on its citizens. Make those people clamor to their leaders about lacking X and Y and Z.  

The history of the world proves revolutions happen with even smaller concerns than that. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Hate said:

That's kind of how I feel as well.  Fuck China.  Take your ball and go home NBA if you really want to be "woke".  And I've always liked Steve Kerr, but he is coming off as a gigantic pussy.

Haven't seen POP saying shit either? So is he a gigantic pussy too or do we move the goalpost so he's good? All these guys have that China Dolla Bill dick up the a$$.

This is what Pop said: https://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/article/Popovich-praises-commissioner-s-courage-in-14502199.php

"I guess I can go at it this way. Adam is a very progressive leader. We all remember how he handled the situation with the former owner of the Clippers. It made everybody proud because it was the right thing to do. A couple of years ago, I was walking the streets in New York City during the gay pride parade. I turned around and here comes a float, and Adam is standing on a float with a big sign in support of LGBTQ. And I felt great again, just like I did with the Clipper deal.

"He came out strongly for freedom of speech (today). I felt great again. He's been a heck of a leader in that respect and very courageous. Then you compare it to what we've had to live through the past three years, it's a big difference. A big gap there, leadership-wise and courage-wise. It wasn't easy for him to say. He said that in an environment fraught with possible economic peril. But he sided with the principles that we all hold dearly, or most of us did until the last three years. I'm thrilled with what he said. The courage and leadership displayed is off the charts by comparison.

"We've all talked about or heard about all the talking heads have and everybody for the last three years, 'What kind of country do you want to be? Who are we? Where do we want to go?' Adam said something that helps you understand what direction you need to go in, rather than the cowardice of not being able to respond to something of the murder of Mr. (Jamal) Khashoggi. There are many, many incidents like that where leadership and courage mean nothing. It's all about personal aggrandizement. I was thrilled."

18 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

This is some bullshit and even more reason why the league needs to say fuck China.   They cannot control Americans' freedom of speech and damn sure can't HERE IN AMERICA!!!!!   

If a simple 6 word tweet can cause all this bullshit then the relationship is in no way worth the trouble.

Edited by d2o

3 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Haven't seen POP saying shit either? So is he a gigantic pussy too or do we move the goalpost so he's good? All these guys have that China Dolla Bill dick up the a$$.

If they asked him about it and he said what Kerr said, then yes he would be a huge pussy.  You don't read the Spurs thread to know that I couldn't possibly care less what Pop says about anything other than the Spurs. I see that Pop ended his thoughts with "Anybody got anything about the game or anything like that?".  I think that's bullshit because he's trying to change the topic before someone asks him directly about his thoughts on Morey's tweet specifically, to which I'm sure he would have deflected just like Kerr.  He's just as chickenshit as Kerr if he doesn't come out and support Morey with as much voice as he did the commissioner.  I wish someone would ask him his thoughts on the human rights violations that China commits daily to see how he answers. I'm sure he would tow the company line just like Kerr.

• Like 2