2019 NBA Offseason Thread -- Trades, Free Agents, Firings, Retirements, Etc

Patrick Bateman

New rule guys, only citizen of a nation can critize that particular country. No more bad mouthing NK and Iran. And oh, since you didnt live in the 3rd Reich? Hitler is off the table too. By the way, this is about LBJ getting pissed off that his wallet get hit, social changes be damned.

4 hours ago, Michael Knight said:

I don't agree with the NBA's stance but do you not see the difference between calling for social change at home vs a country you're not a citizen of?

This is pretty damn simple. For NBA players/coaches/FO people, taking a stand on social issues in America = not bad for business, if not actually good for business. Pissing off China to the degree that Morey's tweet did = bad for business. That's it. That's why all of these guys who have previously voiced strong opinions about social justice in America have uniformly STFU when it comes to this whole Moreygate issue. Exactly nobody was going to say shit after China's response. Anyone here who didn't get that right away is just as dumb as Steve Kerr's answer in that clip up above. 

Edited by Goo Punch

5 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

This is pretty damn simple. For NBA players/coaches/FO people, taking a stand on social issues in America = not bad for business, if not actually good for business. Pissing off China to the degree that Morey's tweet did = bad for business. That's it. That's why all of these guys who have previously voiced strong opinions about social justice in America have uniformly STFU when it comes to this whole Moreygate issue. Exactly nobody was going to say shit after China's response. Anyone here who didn't get that right away is just as dumb as Steve Kerr's answer in that clip up above. 

One was good for self promotion of “brand” which will help make them money. The other will directly cost them money. 

5 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

You can understand that it's bad for their bottom line and also criticize them for being hypocrites about it as well, especially when Lebron's statement sounds like the CPC wrote it.

It's pretty damn simple that people don't like it when China's influence gets to the point that a fairly innocuous tweet turns into an international controversy.  

11 hours ago, Michael Knight said:

I don't agree with the NBA's stance but do you not see the difference between calling for social change at home vs a country you're not a citizen of? Also all you "lol SJWs" are just as big of hypocrites as the NBA players complaining when they don't speak out about China and complaining when they do speak about problems here.  You're fucking worse because at least they have done something while you sit on your fucking hands. 

Done something?   What?  Tweet and wear t-shirts.  Refuse to go to the whitehouse but go to fucking China?   Lebron staging a graffiti hoax? They are a bunch of hypocritical pussies.  

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

I'm a big LBJ fan but his statements on Morey's comments are very bad.   He is trying to make it only about the tweet and its timing, not its contents.    You cannot separate the two in a situation like this.    I get him being upset about the tweet coming right before they went there as it could have been a direct threat to their safety.   That is where any agreement with his points end for me.

You can't say someone else is "uneducated" about a subject without sounding like you think you are more educated.     As it stands his comments sound like either a) he supports China and their actions and/or b) he is protecting his money.   Neither are a good look for someone that tweeted that MLK quote above.

Yeah not a fan at all of what he said.

And I'm not saying he should be screaming that the Chinese are bad.  Just stop with the hypocrisy.  You can't claim to want to eliminate all injustice everywhere, then close your mouth on China.  You can't say "I don't know enough about the situation to comment on it" then say Morey is obviously "misinformed".

It's clearly about your Bank Account.  You want to keep selling shoes and growing the brand in China. And don't think I forgot that you got Space Jam 2 coming out, and you want that quick $500 mil(or more) you'll get as soon as it's released in China, and wouldn't be if you had a fucking spine.

59 minutes ago, d2o said:

I get him being upset about the tweet coming right before they went there as it could have been a direct threat to their safety.  

If a tweet could threaten their safety, why the fuck would he go there? Wouldn't you want to stay away from a place like that? 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Sandman said:

If a tweet could threaten their safety, why the fuck would he go there? Wouldn't you want to stay away from a place like that? 

Honestly, I thought they should have cancelled any and every event there when this shit started heating up that would be a league decision though not an individual one.

5 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

Done something?   What?  Tweet and wear t-shirts.  Refuse to go to the whitehouse but go to fucking China?   Lebron staging a graffiti hoax? They are a bunch of hypocritical pussies.  

If you are really saying this about LBJ then you really aren't interested in talking reasonably.   Again, his angle with this is way off on this but acting like he hasn't done anything but tweet and wear t-shirts is uninformed at best or just plain willfully ignorant.  

Edited by d2o

LeBron James botched it. There’s no use soft-pedaling it, or claiming otherwise. The NBA star has shown himself to be a considerate person, and he and his associates had plenty of time to plan a much better answer to a big question he was inevitably going to get. Dumping on Houston Rockets general manager Daryl Morey’s tweet in support of Hong Kong protesters as “misinformed or not really educated on the situation” was a public relations brick for an athlete who’s usually far more deft in high-profile situations.

So I get why people are agitated. Still, I think we can tap the brakes on some of the hyperbole. Those Chairman LeBron jokes are predictable, and I guess mildly amusing, but James is not an agent of the Chinese government. I don’t believe he was trying to sanction human rights abuse, and when the dust settles on this, I don’t think it will diminish the deeply positive things he’s done over the course of his basketball career. There are extremely legit criticisms of what James said (or didn’t say) about the NBA’s China imbroglio and how he said it—real reasons to be disappointed, especially if you’re a fan—but they’re mixed in with a lot of bad faith social media actors who don’t care a whit about brave protesters in Hong Kong, and just love dumping on LeBron James. This is Clickbait Christmas Morning for folks who have been haranguing athletes to stay out of politics and now, suddenly, want the same athletes to charge headlong into politics.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/lebron-jamess-big-miss-on-china-11571155717

Edited by Michael Knight
  • Like 2

No, we want them to be consistent and not be hypocrites. I would prefer that they shut up and dribble, shoot, pitch, hit, tackle or kick but if you are going to be “woke”, don’t stop being woke only when it affects your bank account.

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, Hate said:

No, we want them to be consistent and not be hypocrites. I would prefer that they shut up and dribble, shoot, pitch, hit, tackle or kick but if you are going to be “woke”, don’t stop being woke only when it affects your bank account.

At least you're consistent and constantly exposing your bullshit by saying shit like "woke"

Edited by Michael Knight

15 minutes ago, Hate said:

To be fair, we're all fucking hypocrites. We won't use the racist mechanic across town, even if he's the cheapest. But we generally have no problem padding China's pockets (and saving our own money) every time we buy clothes, shoes, and electronics. Asking people to genuinely care about China as much as they do issues closer to home is unrealistic.

All I ask is that the league doesn't bend over backwards to appease the easily butthurt Chinese government when called out on their very real conflict of interest.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

To be fair, we're all fucking hypocrites. We won't use the racist mechanic across town, even if he's the cheapest. But we generally have no problem padding China's pockets (and saving our own money) every time we buy clothes, shoes, and electronics. Asking people to genuinely care about China as much as they do issues closer to home is unrealistic.

All I ask is that the league doesn't bend over backwards to appease the easily butthurt Chinese government when called out on their very real conflict of interest.

There is no such thing as ethical consumption under capitalism

1 hour ago, Hate said:

Pretty much.  If it didn't affect his money he'd probably be right out there with all other NBA players trashing China like they should.

the NBA, mainly the owners, have decided to lie down with the CCP and it has now led to this problem in biting the hand that feeds you.  At the very least the NBA has to decide on the line that they cannot allow to be crossed and stay quiet. And yes, it is a complex issue when involving yourself in the politics in a country of 1.4B people. 

1 hour ago, aggie08 said:

Exactly.   We all take advantage of cheap shit from China.  I'm trying to make a change now and not do so but shit EVERYTHING is from there right now

I wish the NBA would say fuck China but that wouldn't put a dent into their (China's) economy.   We as a country need to say fuck China.     We should never allow their interests to direct American freedom here.   When it comes to that point, we are too far into money over everything.

Edited by d2o

7 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

Why should LeBron be required to support a separatist movement in a former colony of the UK that is supported by the West?  Maybe he shouldn't have tried to get Morey into trouble but I don't have a problem with him not taking a stance on this issue.

That's the point: no one would have cared if he didn't take a stance publicly. But instead, he called Morey out as misinformed and not educated on the situation, stupidly placing himself in the crosshairs.

• Like 4

Why should LeBron be required to support a separatist movement in a former colony of the UK that is supported by the West?  Maybe he shouldn't have tried to get Morey into trouble but I don't have a problem with him not taking a stance on this issue.

This was posted earlier and is a tweet of his.

9c14221c117d9076aac801e9616babf5.jpg

So either you are for justice everywhere or only where it doesn’t affect your bank account?
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Hate said:

This was posted earlier and is a tweet of his.

9c14221c117d9076aac801e9616babf5.jpg

So either you are for justice everywhere or only where it doesn’t affect your bank account?

So if a movement formed in the US with the aim to succeed from the Union and that movement was supported by Russia and China, it would be wrong not to support that movement?

Edited by Fozzz

So if a movement formed in the US with the aim to succeed from the Union and that movement was supported by Russia and China, it would be wrong not to support that movement?

Nice strawman.  You are either for justice "everywhere" or you are not.  Here are the latest gems fro LeBron.

Then on Tuesday night James said he wasn’t going to address the issue anymore.

Less than two years since he defiantly proclaimed "I will not shut up and dribble," proclaiming he owed it to his "peers," "fans" and "the youth" to speak out on important issues, James backed away, saying athletes are "not politicians."

“I'd be cheating my teammates by continuing to harp on something that won't benefit us trying to win a championship because that's what we're here for,” James said. “We're not politicians. I think it's a huge political thing but we are leaders and we can step up at times. But...you don't feel like you should speak upon things you shouldn't have to.”

He said he was more concerned with social justice issues in the U.S. and his children's education than he was in getting bogged down in delicate geopolitical matters occurring thousands of miles away.

“There's things that happen in my own community, trying to help my kids graduate high school and go off to college, what's been my main concern over the last couple years and my school,” he said. “Trying to make sure the inner city kids that grew up in my hometown can have a brighter future and look at me as inspiration to get out of the hellhole of the inner city. And we don't talk about those stories enough.”

He is clearly only interested in justice when it directly affects his bank account.  LeBron has done terrific things in the communities that he has been a part of and should absolutely be applauded for that, but he is being a hypocrite on this issue and you know it. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Fozzz said:

Wrong.  Qing James took a stance on the issue.  He’s on the side of the ethnic cleansers.  Because of Space Jam 2.  

Edited by Johnny Sack