The official update thread for former Longhorns

Goo Punch

11 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

I will be seriously impressed (and thoroughly suspicious) if anyone here can name these two former Longhorns based on these single season stats from their time in college:

Player A: 30.7 mpg, 13.1 ppg, 7.8 reb, 3.8 oreb, 0.9 stl, 2.4 blk, .546 FG%, .487 FT%, SOS 7.96

Player B: 29.8 mpg, 10.5 ppg, 7.7 reb, 2.6 oreb, 0.6 stl, 2.5 blk, .560 FG%, .686 FT%, SOS 8.98

Player A is Tristan (for some reason i remember his blocks. Also the free throw %).

Player B not sure. Mo?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, WJC88 said:

Player A is Tristan (for some reason i remember his blocks. Also the free throw %).

Player B not sure. Mo?

you are correct on Tristan. Player B is James Banks this year at Georgia Tech. Between Barnett, Banks, Mack, Young, and EDJ (and maybe Sims or Lidell?) i'm sure there are plenty of coaches who could beat our current team with that group of Shaka castoffs. 

and even though i'm sure a certain poster will be here shortly to downplay Banks' stats and anything else which might look bad for Shaka. there's no denying that we could have used him and that those numbers really are not far off from TT's one year at Texas.

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Like 1

But if Banks, Mack, Barnett, et al. had stayed, Shaka's defenders (if there are any left) wouldn't be able to argue that he hasn't had enough depth, experience, or his own players to really succeed here.

(Can't fault him for EDJ, though--he was done as soon as his name surfaced in that report.)

• 3 weeks later...

https://kfoxtv.com/sports/local-sports/utep-basketball-coach-rodney-terry-tabs-kenton-paulino-as-top-assistant

UTEP Men’s Basketball Head Coach Rodney Terry named Kenton Paulino to his staff Friday.

“We’re really excited about Kenton Paulino joining our staff,” UTEP Basketball Head Coach Rodney Terry said. “He’s a guy who comes to us with a wealth of playing experience and coaching experience. He’s won at every level and is a winner. He’s a rising super star in this business and we can’t wait to get to work.”

Paulino most recently served as an assistant at Tulsa. He was with the Golden Hurricane for two seasons, helping them to back-to-back winning campaigns.

Paulino has a history with Terry as he served as his assistant at Fresno State from 2012-17 and played at the University of Texas while Terry was an assistant.

“I am extremely excited to join the UTEP family and reconnect with coach Terry and staff,” Paulino said. “I am ready to get to work and help build on UTEP’s basketball tradition.”

While at Fresno State, Paulino was primarily responsible for game preparation, recruiting and skill development.

Prior to his time at Lamar, Paulino worked for three seasons (2008-11) as a special assistant at Texas under head coach Rick Barnes. The Longhorns won 75 games while advancing to three consecutive NCAA Tournaments and garnered the program’s first no. 1 ranking in the AP and ESPN/USA Today Coaches polls (2009-10).

Paulino was recruited to Texas by Frank Haith and played for the Longhorns from 2002-06 when Terry was an assistant coach. A two-year starter and four-year letterwinner, Paulino was a member of four NCAA Tournament teams and made trips to the Final Four (2003), Elite Eight (2006) and Sweet 16 (2004). He appeared in 106 games, playing both the point and shooting guard positions, and was a tri-captain as a senior.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 7/5/2019 at 11:01 PM, Catdaddyhorn said:

DO has done fairly well so far. I believe he led the Cavs in scoring a few games back. 

Ummm, no.

It's hard to judge summer leagues based on minutes played etc, but he's shooting 25% from the field and 29% from 3 and averaging about 2 Rebs/game.

He's averaging about a -7.5 +/-

You'll occasionally see 1st round picks play after their rookie year,  but I can't think of too many who are playing after their 2nd year. Maybe guys who have been out of the league for a season or 2 like Cameron Payne. I'm actually surprised Isaiah Taylor isn't playing.  He still must be rehabbing his injury.  

3 minutes ago, Tylerocks said:

Ummm, no.

It's hard to judge summer leagues based on minutes played etc, but he's shooting 25% from the field and 29% from 3 and averaging about 2 Rebs/game.

He's averaging about a -7.5 +/-

He's played about 4 or 5 games since I made that comment.  I was talking about his play in the Utah Summer league before the Vegas Summer league games even began. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just saw that Doj Balbay and Turkey took Team USA to the very brink of elimination today in the FIBA tournament. All I saw was the highlights, but Doj was on the floor during the final minutes of the game, so i'm assuming he's heir starting PG. He also made a great defensive play (shocker) stealing the ball off Myles Turner with time running down in OT, but it wasn't enough for Turkey as the guy he passed the ball to missed his FTs leaving the door open for USA to win in OT. Would have sucked for the US, but would have been cool for Doj had Turkey advanced.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...