Empanadas

Celery Man

We like empanadas - once every blue moon I'll make them, but we'll also get them out whenever we get the chance.  I have a Dominican coworker who asked if I wanted to join a group for lunch today -  

The Doughminican

This is a trailer on east 11th.  I decided to start this thread because I think these are the best ones I've had in Austin.  I had a beef and a ratatouille empanada, both were excellent.  I'd give the edge to the ratatouille.  They also make chicken empanadas, and I had a quipe as well, which was interesting and pretty good.  Each one had some cheese in it as well, which was wonderful.  There was some good verde salsa and a chipotle mayo - salsa is what you want.  This is the beef one

empanada.jpg

Four Brothers

I think they have a couple of trailers, but they are in that trailer park eatery on Barton Springs near Chuy's.  This truck is Venezuelan food and makes good arepas, but their empanadas (Venezuelan style with a P.A.N. cornmeal based dough rather than flour) are great.  Not my photo (from here on).  Beef one is good but if I'm being real, love the cheese ones.

Dnt5E5tX4AA5s4O.jpg

Buenos Aires Cafe

Brick and mortar place on east 6th or 7th.  Obviously, Argentinian.  Nice restaurant, I think the carne picante is my favorite empanada.  If you love cheese like I do, the Provoleta is really good - like a queso flameado type thing in a skillet with bread.  Their other food is great.

venue-313322.jpg

it's also kinda fun if you ever watched that old MTV show Austin Stories.  Then and now - 

Screen-Shot-2016-11-17-at-2.34.09-PM.png

buenos-aries-cafe-sidebar-1.jpg. 

Cuba512

Brick and mortar place on Wm Cannon/Westgate (shopping center with the trampoline place). Honestly I think the empanadas here are a bit mediocre, but it's convenient and the salsa is actually pretty interesting and good.

258s.jpg

i would love to learn about more places in Austin that make good empanadas, of any variety.

When I was in mammoth recently there was a place that had empanada-esque little pies, and they had one stuffed with biscuits and gravy.  With an over easy egg on top, it was about the tastiest damn thing I ever ate.

d7c7f83b747a5d568562bb45a9679ed8.jpg

Edited by Sbbruin

13 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Phoenicia carries frozen La Saltena empanada wrappers, both the baking and frying kind. When my folks lived in Buenos Aires, that’s the brand that everyone used. Easy, and damned tasty. We usually just do some variant of beef, traditional argentine style.

Ooh trying that.  I’ve used pie crusts and it’s good but large

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Phoenicia carries frozen La Saltena empanada wrappers, both the baking and frying kind. When my folks lived in Buenos Aires, that’s the brand that everyone used. Easy, and damned tasty. We usually just do some variant of beef, traditional argentine style.

Like a picadillo?  Beef, onions, olives, maybe carrots?  I'm down for that.  Off to Phoenicia I go . . .

Yep. My folks’ housekeeper would go really simple: beef, onion, salt, pepper, garlic.

do that basic filling but would finish it out with a bit of a roux and some beef broth to make a gravy. Let it cool completely in fridge so you can fill the shells with the mixture and it won’t run everywhere. Only thing better than a picodillo filling is a picodillo and gravy filling.

HEB has individually wrapped Empanadas in the frozen section. Was their PRIMO PICK award winner this year. Owned by a longhorn and founded in Austin.  Three in stores 
Spinach Mushroom
Vegan Black Bean
Cheeseburger

We’ve tried them, they’re pretty good - and they’re substantial. The kids take em for lunch on occasion.
  • Like 1