The Surly Mountain Biking Thread

Braff Zacklin

Had a ride up at Erwin Park in McKinney today.  Some fun stuff in the woods, up and down, and some actual bermed/banked turns and stuff.  I had to slopoke it due to unfamiliarity, but still managed about 6 mph due to sustained downhill, not steep but little pedaling required.

But geez, some field sections where the trail S'ed endlessly up a hill.  I think I would have rather just gone straight up the hill than keeping on turning back on yourself, like 5-6 (lost count) times at one point.  You think you're going back in the woods,  but noooooooo.  Every time you come out of the woods its "not this shit again." Took a lot of the fun out of it.

Haha, no.  I'm a lawdog with flexible hours as long as I get my work done.  

It was actually somewhat easier when the heat forced me to ride early in the morning.  Now I can do "lunch breaks," or leave early as long as I don't have meetings or planned/conference calls.  Somewhere upthread I mentioned taking work calls and even sending documents sitting astride my bike or on the side of a trail.  I'm almost never "unavailable."

Since the rains departed, I ride 3-4 times a week, with one on the weekend.  The rides themselves are rarely longer than an hour and a half, so if I work it right, it's a long lunch, or rolling in at 10:30 or 11.  Or leave at 3.

Edited by TwiceHorn

I spent a few days in Ruidoso last week. Got a few rides in with one lift assist day at the ski resort. I did get some video on the GoPro, but haven't had a chance to even look at it yet. Here are a few pics. It was so nice to get out of the heat and into the mountains for a few days.

20190928_134723.jpg20190928_135548.jpg20190930_131424.jpgimagejpeg_0_20190930_145358.jpg20191003_132338.jpg

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

How was the altitude?

Well, it was a lot higher than Austin 😃

We started the 3 cross country rides at 7000 feet, and did 5-7 miles of climbing, followed by some fun descents.  Each of those rides totaled about 2k of elevation gain, so I was gasping for air especially on the first day.  However, it was more of a "get in the groove and grind" type climb - mostly smooth trail and constant grade.  Not like around here where it's punchy and technical.  Wasn't too bad by the 3rd day although my legs were about done.

The lift assist day started above 11k for each run, but of course it's downhill so no suffering just pure fun.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, KuЯdt said:

Well, it was a lot higher than Austin 😃

We started the 3 cross country rides at 7000 feet, and did 5-7 miles of climbing, followed by some fun descents.  Each of those rides totaled about 2k of elevation gain, so I was gasping for air especially on the first day.  However, it was more of a "get in the groove and grind" type climb - mostly smooth trail and constant grade.  Not like around here where it's punchy and technical.  Wasn't too bad by the 3rd day although my legs were about done.

The lift assist day started above 11k for each run, but of course it's downhill so no suffering just pure fun.

No fainting or puking?  I can see a couple four five thousand feet being just what I need to start blowing chunks on the trail.

The key is to not be the slowest person in the group.  In our trio, I wasn't the fastest, but I also was not the slowest.  Thus, when we inevitably took breaks to wait for the last guy, it gave me a chance to recover a bit and catch my breath.  Same principle as when being chased by a bear.

• Like 1

nice pics, but shit, KuRdt.  where the video at?

just back from NW Arkansas.  Lake Leatherwood was awesome, especially with shuttle service.   Coler Park in Bentonville was a mess when I rode it.  pouring rain, lightning, etc.  of the two ridable trails, Fireline (blue) required pedalling almost the whole way.  Cease and Desist (black) was much better in that regard, but was loaded with doubles, which I suck at, especially in those conditions.  I got some footage of a dude Dropping the Hammer (described as "an 8' gap ladder drop", but is more like 15', of you carry down the steep landing zone).  the drop on CnD proper was doable (about 5', standing next to the end of it), but I wasn't excited about the long, curving, wooden thing you had to launch off of in the rain and my ability to carry enough speed on it to clear the flat.

Back 40 on Friday was fun, but painful, at my current fitness level.  22.5 miles, >2000' of climbing.  cold (40s) and wet, almost til the end.  my feet were numb, the whole time.  I started at the Buckingham trailhead, going counter-clockwise, which as it turned out let me start out on the best downhill stretch of the whole trail...into the lake.  had to do some wading around to get back on the trail.  another  crossing was thigh-deep.  kinda epic.

anyway.  here's a clip from Leatherwood.  song came on during the drive home.  this was the only run of the whole trip where my lense wasn't splattered with mud by the time I got to the bottom.  gopro 6 is smoooove.  1080p

• Like 4

Great ride today at collarbone park.  Temps in 60s, overcast.  Hero dirt everywhere and no swampy sections, particularly nice on the creekbed crossings (always dry, but can get soupy after a rain).

Been off the bike for 9 days.  Some mild climbing that I could feel a little bit, so I know I lost some conditioning.  I rode that damned skinny twice and bailed at the end of it twice.  Both times, gear was probably too high.  For better or worse, I think I need to pedal and maintain momentum for balance, but not too fast.  Or I probably could have punched it and not bailed.  I dunno, there aren't many skinnies of this length round here.

On 10/15/2019 at 7:57 PM, wd40 said:

just back from NW Arkansas.  Lake Leatherwood was awesome, especially with shuttle service.   Coler Park in Bentonville was a mess when I rode it.  pouring rain, lightning, etc.  of the two ridable trails, Fireline (blue) required pedalling almost the whole way.  Cease and Desist (black) was much better in that regard, but was loaded with doubles, which I suck at, especially in those conditions.  I got some footage of a dude Dropping the Hammer (described as "an 8' gap ladder drop", but is more like 15', of you carry down the steep landing zone).  the drop on CnD proper was doable (about 5', standing next to the end of it), but I wasn't excited about the long, curving, wooden thing you had to launch off of in the rain and my ability to carry enough speed on it to clear the flat.

Back 40 on Friday was fun, but painful, at my current fitness level.  22.5 miles, >2000' of climbing.  cold (40s) and wet, almost til the end.  my feet were numb, the whole time.  I started at the Buckingham trailhead, going counter-clockwise, which as it turned out let me start out on the best downhill stretch of the whole trail...into the lake.  had to do some wading around to get back on the trail.  another  crossing was thigh-deep.  kinda epic.

anyway.  here's a clip from Leatherwood.  song came on during the drive home.  this was the only run of the whole trip where my lense wasn't splattered with mud by the time I got to the bottom.  gopro 6 is smoooove.  1080p

very nice, looks like a blast.  Bentonville is definitely on my list of mtb destination trips.

On 10/15/2019 at 7:57 PM, wd40 said:

yeah...shortly after I got back from the trip, shit blew up at work in a bad way.  so that's consumed my life for the past 10 days.  haven't even pulled the footage off the camera.  maybe this weekend.

I rode today for the first time in 2 weeks and 16 miles in, my derailleur hanger broke.  Didn't have a spare with me, so resulted in a 3 mile walk home (luckily i was on the way back to the house on the loop I was riding).

Second ride in like two weeks at Boulder Park.  Short ride, but climby.  You lose so much when you're off the bike that long.

I made all the short climbs without much drama, but felt it, so when that long one at the end came, I jogged it.  And that was bad enough.

Edited by TwiceHorn

1Up USA is an all aluminum tank and widely considered the best hauler around. A 2 tray system is right at or over $700. Very slick (and heavy).

Kuat is as highly rated. The NV is the flagship and has some interesting features like it doubling as a repair stand. It is also around $700. The Sherpa is $500 and my kids have a Transfer which is perfect for two bikes and was around $250-$300.

Go to etrailer.com and you can see a lot of racks. The 1up is only sold directly from the manufacturer.

I hadn't priced hitch racks.  Geezus.

No kidding. We use a four bike Yakima tray that I got used for $100. A heavy bitch but does the job. When my kids graduate this year I’ll probably kick it down to another team family and then get a Kuat or the 1up if I have a particularly good distribution next summer.

I hadn't priced hitch racks.  Geezus.

No kidding. We use a four bike Yakima tray that I got used for $100. A heavy bitch but does the job. When my kids graduate this year I’ll probably kick it down to another team family and then get a Kuat or the 1up if I have a particularly good distribution next summer.

I have a Kuat Sherpa and it is solid. My favorite though is my Soft Ride rack because of the hitch pin. It screws in to the threaded hitch insert so the rack is locked down to the hitch and does not shake at all. It also has a locking cover over that screw so it’s impossible to remove without a key. The Kuat locking pin can easily be chopped off.

On 10/27/2019 at 1:53 PM, Knoxtnhorn said:

What's the "can't miss" trail in Austin?  I may be down for the weekend in 2 weeks and have never biked Austin.

depends on what you mean.  

Iconic?   Barton Creek Green Belt, maybe City Park.

easily navigable?  CP first, BCGB main trail, second.  However, the maintrail is packed with peds, dogs, and dogshit on the weekend.  CP is a one way loop and well marked, but it's all rocks, all the time,  moto trail, originally.  used to be my favorite, but the fucked with it several years ago and I rarely ride there, now.

Brushy Creek is fun, but probably a hike, depending on where you're staying.  not much elevation, but a little bit of everything (including yoga pants on the main paved path).

I know nothing of SATN.  Kurdt, or Austinvines would have to chime in on that.  supposedly pretty good.

bunch of unmentionables, but they are, like BCGB OFF the main trail, mazes with lot's of choices.   loads of fun though.  loads of climbing, too.

send up a flare if you want a guide.  here lately, I've been soloing on sunday mornings.  too much life happening with my crew.

• Like 1

I bought a 1up super duty single and add on this summer to replace the Kuat.

I’v been leaving the 1up on most of the time since it doesn’t stick out as much as the kuat

the 4 bike kuat saw more action getting loaned out to friend than from me.  

The tool stand on the kuat is useless and a burden when installing and de-installing the add on.  

What’s your pleasure, Knox? SATN (South Austin Trail Network) is smooth, with little tech and there is plenty of it. Besides the climbing (and it’s a lot) Colorado has nothin on the beating that central Texas trails can deliver. A varsity rider from our team who crushed the central Texas trails for years packed it in after a semester in Colorado. If you are used to smooth flow-trails in Tennessee, these can be a challenge.

I’m fat (and almost 50) and like to ride at maybe 9mph. WD40 seems to like a faster ride and is way more talented than me. City Park is a beating and Hill of Life is as well. The Greenbelt has ton of climbing and rock gardens. SATN is silky with some varied terrain but mostly creek bottoms and the trails surrounding them.

When are you coming?

SATN is great for those of us who live nearby. Plenty of miles and it’s convenient.  But I would not consider it a destination trail worthy of a special trip from somewhere else.  For pure fun trails I like Walnut Creek. It’s a nice network of curvy, swoopy flow, enough obstacles and short hills to challenge you but not so many to be frustrating. It’s up north so I don’t get there very often.  BCGB is nice and convenient to central Austin, but so damn crowded and the main trail involves at least 4 or 5 crossings of the creek, often in waist high water. 

friends don't let frinds ride Walnut.

I can't disagree wih Mom's description of wc.  I used to ride there a lot when I lived in the area.  but I skipped it as a suggestion for the following reasons:

1)  gets crowded on the weekends (bikes, dogs and peds).  unless something's changed since I last rode there, it's bi-directional, so lot's of rookies going different directions.  part of the reason for the running joke that it's the most dangerous trail in town.

2)  no different than what you have in DFW.  which, besides not being what you might call an 'Austin' trail,  also means it's not very weather tolerant.  that could be a factor, this time of year.

there's flow to be had outside of the bottom land.  just have to work for it a little more, as you would in TN.

• Like 1

Agree with what others have said.  SATN is fun and convenient, but not a destination trail.  The 'Nut is lots of fun, and last time I went there about a year ago it had lots of new fun flowy trails with plenty of berms.  But I will not go there on the weekend.  Fuck that.

To me, the quintessential  Austin trail is the Barton Creek Greenbelt (BCGB).  And more specifically, the back trails as wd40 alluded to.  However if you've never ridden it you absolutely need a guide.  I have seen some halfway decent maps at Bicycle Sport Shop, but I'd say you still need someone with you who knows it.

I find myself going out of town to ride most of the time if I'm not riding SATN or BCGB.  If you have some time to head a bit out of town to ride, consider Pace Bend.  It's a fun trail with some climbing but not much, and some technical features to keep you honest.  Plus, Lake Travis.

Bought the Kuat Sherpa 2 to haul the bikes. Over-analyzed all the options and settled on that for several reasons. It is light. It’s is reasonably well-constructed except for the plastic wheel blocks. There were recommendations on here for it. It’s a little easier to get on and off the vehicle. It was easy to assemble. Tried it today and worked fine.

There's a possibility of a ride this week, as our harvest is sidelined by an LP shortage (we need LP to dry harvested corn so it's suitable for storage), and we have no idea when it will be back.

Of course we're looking at the potential of 1-3 inches of snow tonight, highs in the mid 30's to melt it up some tomorrow.  Then it's unseasonable cold following it up.  So most likely there will be some layer of half melted icy shit on the trails.  The fatty can probably handle it.

Eleven miles at Goat Island Preserve today.  I rode it for the first time back in August.  No TTF, nothing challenging, except seeing the trail.  TIght and twisty in the woods south of Dallas and thus more rural than most trails in the 'plex.  I think that makes for a hell of a fun ride, myself.

Runs down by the Trinity south of downtown, where people 'yak and do guided gar hunts.

IMG-20191110-124432401.jpg%22

IMG-20191110-124104250-HDR.jpg

Trinity River Navigation Company Lock & Dam #2, built in 1914 as an ill-advised attempt to render the Trinity navigable to Dallas.

I have ridden further and a lot faster and with more climbing.  Maybe it was the tacky ground or the bumps, which seemed smoothed out some by the recent rains, but this was a two hour ride and kind of a beating.  Or maybe it's the reduced level of riding I'm having to do.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 2

Got in a couple of unremarkable but pleasant rides this week.  Just putting in miles for exercise, basically.

I now ride more toward the afternoon to let the temperature get up into the 50s.  That plus DST makes for some "low winter sun" that's kind of interesting at times.  I think it also increases the likelihood that I see crepuscular critters like bobcats.

yep.  killin time this morning, before heading out, waiting for it to warm up.  my tootsies are numb from just being out in the garage switching out my DH ring to my normal trail (ie, climbing) ring.

Dingle:  keep posting up demos.  but I will say this about SC bikes:  they ride really well, but they break, atleast around here.  

a buddy broke the rear triangle on his Blur 3 times.  all got warrantied, so...yay.  

I then broke the rear on my Blur.  they were out of replacement triangles, so they sent me a whole Bronson frame for the warranty claim.  wanted a 29er, so I sold that and got the purple Kona.

few years later, a friend broke his Bronson (or a 5010, can't remember) and got a P153, just like mine, as a temporary bike.  liked it so much, he kept it.  

oh, btw, @AustinvinesI'll be 50, next month.  I'm a mid-pack rider, according to Strava.  very not fast, and it usually takes me a lot of looks at a TTF before I'll try it, if at all.   then I'm like, "that's it?"

commitment is key.

Nearly perfect ride today.  Sixties, clear, hero dirt everywhere.  Rode River Legacy, the paved trail painted to look like dirt.  The trees out there seem to have small leaves like live oaks, and they've been ridden down some, so the leaves weren't harshing my shred as they were earlier this week.  Personal distance/speed record, which is surprising since this is the first seven days I have gotten three-plus rides in in a month.

Also, oddball thing.  On a fair number of rides, on different trails, I encounter a kind of musty home smell.  Not unpleasant, but smells like your grandmother's house, kinda.  It's not something you expect to encounter outdoors on a trail.  I think it might be the smell of other riders or trail users' clothes.  Maybe piles of decomposing leaves/plant matter have a similar smell, I don't know.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 1