The Surly Mountain Biking Thread

Braff Zacklin

Damn.  Something goofy happened and I banged my left knee on my handlebar, specifically the dropper lever, just above the kneecap.  It smarted at the time, but I rode on, no big deal.  It's damned sore now and kind of tightening up.  What the hell?

23 hours ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Look likes those Polygons are sold out for now.  

Guess I'll keep those in the back of my head for now.

Apparently bike inventory is low all over the country.   People trying to get in shape and shit.  That would explain why all my old bikes and parts sold fairly quickly.  

hrmm...might be time for me to go ahead and list the SS for sale.

13 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Damn.  Something goofy happened and I banged my left knee on my handlebar, specifically the dropper lever, just above the kneecap.  It smarted at the time, but I rode on, no big deal.  It's damned sore now and kind of tightening up.  What the hell?

Believe that's called a bruise.

56 minutes ago, KuЯdt said:

put it on craigslist for like 130% of what you think it's worth.  See what happens.  I've been on CL for something used, and bikes I think are stupidly overpriced are getting sold pretty quickly.  I'm not sure what the market for SS is though.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Believe that's called a bruise.

Well it's acting like a soft-tissue injury, like a sprain. Knee is stiff and sore when I move it.  I'm guessing I might have dinged the patellar tendon.

Edited by TwiceHorn

On 5/17/2020 at 8:44 PM, wd40 said:

Spider reopened, this weekend.  got there about 8:30, bailed around 11 when the line got insane.  

experimenting with volume levels to bring the trail sounds out more.

thanks for posting your video. 

i haven't made my way out to spider mountain yet. i had always imaged a bunch of jumps with air at spider mountain.  i'm fine with 1-3 foot drops.  otherwise i keep my wheels on the ground.

7 hours ago, KuЯdt said:

What size and how much?  I'm browsing for a bike to cruise the neighborhood with the kids in.  Something I can ride to the store/gym/bar and not be too nervous about leaving at the bike rack.  Steel, SS, rigid.  Was checking out BMX cruisers but a Kona Unit might fit the bill too.  

What size and how much?  I'm browsing for a bike to cruise the neighborhood with the kids in.  Something I can ride to the store/gym/bar and not be too nervous about leaving at the bike rack.  Steel, SS, rigid.  Was checking out BMX cruisers but a Kona Unit might fit the bill too.  
Well, according to dingleberry over there, about $1100.
I was gonna see if I could get 800 or so for it, so that may be more than you want to spend for a neighborhood cruising bike. Don't know what it's actually worth really, so if you're interested PM me and maybe we can work something out.

I think it is a large frame (need to verify - could be a medium).
It's Kona's Scandium frame and has a RockShox Reba RLT Ti up front. XT brakes, Stan's ZTR Arch 29 wheels.

20200522_121157.jpg

20200522_121148.jpg

• Like 1

It's definitely worth more than what I'm looking for.  I saw a bare bones rigid forked one not long ago for $600 that got me looking at them but it was in way worse shape and less equipped than yours.  I'm about to move to a more bike friendly neighborhood, closer to businesses and also closer to the trails, but if I'm gonna use my bike more for utility in the hood like that I just need a cheap beater.  

I checked out this Verde Vario for $399 the other day but it's got a coaster brake and that was way weirder than I thought it would be.

Verde-Vario-650-Matte-Green-2.jpg

Awful ride at Horseshoe in Grapevine today.  First, I didn't go early enough.  It's cloudy and rainy, kinda, here but by the time I got out there, the sun came out.  Even so, about half to 3/4 of the ride was good then it just turned to hot, humid, still, long-fucking-sleeves, sweaty, foggy glasses, burning eyes, horrible bonko-city.  And the trail is just five miles. 

Temp was mid-high 80s, but I'm relatively certain the humidity turned it to mid 90s by feel.

I think the real killer was 61% RH, probably worse by the lake.  And still, so still.

I have a bad ride like this about once a year, this time of year.  And I always manage to wear a long-sleeve, but drifitcoolmaxbullshitpolyester, shirt for this ride.

11 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Awful ride at Horseshoe in Grapevine today.  First, I didn't go early enough.  It's cloudy and rainy, kinda, here but by the time I got out there, the sun came out.  Even so, about half to 3/4 of the ride was good then it just turned to hot, humid, still, long-fucking-sleeves, sweaty, foggy glasses, burning eyes, horrible bonko-city.  And the trail is just five miles. 

Temp was mid-high 80s, but I'm relatively certain the humidity turned it to mid 90s by feel.

I think the real killer was 61% RH, probably worse by the lake.  And still, so still.

I have a bad ride like this about once a year, this time of year.  And I always manage to wear a long-sleeve, but drifitcoolmaxbullshitpolyester, shirt for this ride.

I had one of those Tuesday when I rode at 5:30 and it was still 93 here. I basically bailed in the middle of the second lap and still had to take a break before attempting the 1/2 mile climb out. 

• Like 1

On 5/21/2020 at 11:54 AM, TwiceHorn said:

Well it's acting like a soft-tissue injury, like a sprain. Knee is stiff and sore when I move it.  I'm guessing I might have dinged the patellar tendon.

Hopefully that is all it is.  There is an injury to the lining that usually occurs in car wrecks when the knee hits something like the dash. I had it happen in a marathon when the kneecap decided to take out everything nearby. Had to have all the scar tissue removed via surgery and not with a scope.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Your Mom said:

It's definitely worth more than what I'm looking for.  I saw a bare bones rigid forked one not long ago for $600 that got me looking at them but it was in way worse shape and less equipped than yours.  I'm about to move to a more bike friendly neighborhood, closer to businesses and also closer to the trails, but if I'm gonna use my bike more for utility in the hood like that I just need a cheap beater.  

I checked out this Verde Vario for $399 the other day but it's got a coaster brake and that was way weirder than I thought it would be.

Verde-Vario-650-Matte-Green-2.jpg

Yeah I think a BMX cruiser like you mentioned would be perfect.

I bought that Kona for $1100 5 or 6 years ago.  I've put a little money into it, but it would be super cool to sell it for about what I paid.  I'll test the waters on that as I've heard from a couple of other sources now that bikes are selling like hotcakes.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AUinHsv said:

Hopefully that is all it is.  There is an injury to the lining that usually occurs in car wrecks when the knee hits something like the dash. I had it happen in a marathon when the kneecap decided to take out everything nearby. Had to have all the scar tissue removed via surgery and not with a scope.

I let it rest Thursday and it was better today, so I rode.  And banged it again.  🤬🤬  But lower this time, below the kneecap.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, AUinHsv said:

How are you doing that? Been riding MTB since 99 and never hit knee on handlebar

I don't know, exactly.  I don'r recall ever doing it before.  Today, I was climbing something when I was in bonky mode and losing momentum and in too high a gear.  I hit a root that more or less stopped me dead and had the bars turned while also attempting a big stroke with left leg.  At least that's the best I can figure.

I'm pretty leggy and I think slackish geo and 780mm bars make that kind of a thing.  Plus I may be extra inept.

Edited by TwiceHorn

I did manage to take some pics before things got shittay.

A kind of crazy little chute near the beginning.  First time I have seen it dry at the bottom in a while, which makes it less nerve wracking to ride.  It's pretty narrow at the bottom and ends up about 8 feet deep.

IMG-20200522-115742668-HDR.jpg

This is a slough from a little overlook. I think I posted a wintry pic upthread.

IMG-20200522-121450996.jpg

And, this bigass tree fell over right over the trail.  In case it's not obvious, this is not rideable by an adult.

IMG-20200522-123015469-HDR.jpg

Also note the fucking flop of the bars, which contributes to the knee hits, I guess.

I had to stop for this for obvious reasons and then had to figure out which way I was supposed to go.  That slowdown marks the point where the ride became unfun. Sometimes stopping for me can be the kiss of death, especially if the stop is followed by some climbing in the open.  I start to overheat without air blowing through my radiator.

• Like 1

Not mountain biking, but wanted to share and figured this might be the best place for it.

Youngest started riding without training wheels a few months ago.  Has taken to her bike like a duck to water.  So, she wants me to go riding with her, which is fine.  But my old Diamondback hybrid is long in the tooth, and I was getting lustful thoughts about a new bike.  I start researching.

I just ordered this:

2019_SE_MONSTER-QUAD_FRONT_1200x.png?v=1

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

I'd have gone for a Big Ripper personally, but I love anything SE Racing

When I was growing up (early 80's), my first good bikes were a Mongoose and a Supergoose.  Then I got a truck, and bicycling was forgotten.  My brother and sister also had a collection of bikes (Kuwahara, Minigoose, Team Mongoose, etc).  All of that is gone now.

I always dug PK Rippers and Quadangles, however, but the only dealer close to home didn't carry SE, so that wasn't an option.

A few things about this; the silver/blue combo was like my Supergoose, I always liked the looks of a Quadangle, and it's a 29", so my fat ass won't be so cramped. Wife hasn't been told yet, but I'll tell her it's a Father's Day present to myself.

I did contemplate a Redline RL-275 and the Big Ripper as well.

Edited by Francisco 2.0
  • Like 1

I was checking out those too.  Austin Bike Farm has one of those Monster Quads.  I like the idea of a Big Ripper or a OM Flyer but every time I look at them they're a little loud for me.  Pretty cool to hop on something that makes you feel like a kid again though.  I grew up on Huffys bought at garage sales.  

Now I need to put on a new tire and stans fluid to squeeze in a ride when the sun gets lower tonight.  

Solid ride up in Viroqua, WI. Staying at the in laws boat on the Mississippi and wanted to check these trails out.

It’s basically two 1 mile spurs with a 2 mile loop in the middle. I rode all the way out to the far end, taking part of the middle loop. Trails were obviously lower traffic. The last mile was a glorified cow path at times.

The middle loop turned out to be a fucking blast. Perfectly built to my preferences. They utilized the sinkholes in an awesome way.

Probably not enough unique miles to go there a lot, but it was worthwhile

38358cec9236634d7a8e16dadd3b1b4f.jpg

Rock garden at the end of the cow path

5d619766a352592fb6a0dd43f6216bcf.jpg

Typical section through the fun 2 mile loop

6161747eebab00ffc3fd00497a2f8b9f.jpg

Sink hole feature. Phone camera predictably smoothed out the steep angles in and out

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Solid ride up in Viroqua, WI. Staying at the in laws boat on the Mississippi and wanted to check these trails out.

It’s basically two 1 mile spurs with a 2 mile loop in the middle. I rode all the way out to the far end, taking part of the middle loop. Trails were obviously lower traffic. The last mile was a glorified cow path at times.

The middle loop turned out to be a fucking blast. Perfectly built to my preferences. They utilized the sinkholes in an awesome way.

Probably not enough unique miles to go there a lot, but it was worthwhile

38358cec9236634d7a8e16dadd3b1b4f.jpg

Rock garden at the end of the cow path

5d619766a352592fb6a0dd43f6216bcf.jpg

Typical section through the fun 2 mile loop

6161747eebab00ffc3fd00497a2f8b9f.jpg

Sink hole feature. Phone camera predictably smoothed out the steep angles in and out

I'm getting where I can see them anyway.  Not sure I'm good to evaluate a trail by youtube, yet, but I can do still pix.

• Like 1

I was gonna see if I could get 800 or so for it, so that may be more than you want to spend for a neighborhood cruising bike. Don't know what it's actually worth really, so if you're interested PM me and maybe we can work something out.

It's Kona's Scandium frame and has a RockShox Reba RLT Ti up front. XT brakes, Stan's ZTR Arch 29 wheels.

20200522_121157.thumb.jpg.6ff2e99d2a29073938786b9f70cc4c55.jpg

20200522_121148.thumb.jpg.38c2497c749296faf0f72f82110f18b5.jpg

bfeaa5551469804741cf59bc2c35d6ce.jpg
I ride the crap outta my old Kona.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

Whatever the hell is going on with these knee strikes, they suck.  For about a day after, straightening the knee as to get up out of a chair is excruciating for about 10 seconds.

It looks like I am dinging the quadriceps tendon near the upper part of the kneecap.  And it seems not to like being stretched or strained while bent and then getting unstretched when I straighten it.  No bruising or swelling.

As mentioned, this has never happened before, but happened twice last week.  Seems to happen in the process of a dab on an overgeared, undermomentumed climb.  So I guess I'm forward overall, bar turned to the left some, which can rapidly become a lot and I guess I'm coming forward off the pedal as I stop, lifting my foot off the pedal to get loose, because Stealth.  This is probably the key item.  Like unclipping, lifting my foot has become a kind of subconscious thing to get loose from the pedal.

Both times my kneecap hit the dropper lever.  Not hard enough to move it or break it or anything, but it provides a nice little point stress to dig into my knee.  One didn't break the skin, one left a little scrape.

Weird, painful.  Avoid.

Edited by TwiceHorn

Did the dirt make that "moist" noise?

Until this weekend, we'd had some storm threats that ended up only showers, but effect on trails varied by location.  We've had a bit of a force field going on in DFW for the past month or so.

Katie Jackson last ride was kind of wild.  Some pretty soupy low spots, some hero dirt, and some dry kitty litter in sunny spots.  Made turning a little bit exciting at times.

On 5/22/2020 at 12:19 PM, KuЯdt said:

20200522_121157.jpg

20200522_121148.jpg

You in Austin? Looking for a large frame MB. How tall a boy are ya?

Lol.  Knee is much improved today, but taking a shower this morning, I had my foot up on the bench washing my foot or some such and happened to look at my left kneecap in profile, a nice side elevation view.  And it seemed to have a dip or divot in it.  I was like Oh Jesus.  My right kneecap, unscathed, was just the same.  It made no sense as I have palpated it pretty thorougly and massaged it to see if I could locate the pain or soothe it.

There's some background there, though.  My parents had sliding glass doors opening onto their patio.  One time my aunt was going inside from the patio, stepped on the mat just inside the door and it slipped.  She went down spang with her kneecap on the sliding rail.  Split. It. In. Two. Grooooossssss.

On 5/25/2020 at 12:47 PM, TwiceHorn said:

Did the dirt make that "moist" noise?

Until this weekend, we'd had some storm threats that ended up only showers, but effect on trails varied by location.  We've had a bit of a force field going on in DFW for the past month or so.

Katie Jackson last ride was kind of wild.  Some pretty soupy low spots, some hero dirt, and some dry kitty litter in sunny spots.  Made turning a little bit exciting at times.

I don't know that I've ever observed this.  It was more that I was feeling a softness in the dirt and tendency to skid in turns, or going over harder objects.  Especially going over roots and rocks.

I'll have to listen for what you're talking about going forward.

Just now, Al_4_ISU said:

I don't know that I've ever observed this.  It was more that I was feeling a softness in the dirt and tendency to skid in turns, or going over harder objects.  Especially going over roots and rocks.

I'll have to listen for what you're talking about going forward.

It may be kind of unique to Texas' clay soils.  I never really had an objection to the word "moist," but the sound is best described as such.  And it's kind of nasty.  It's a sort of bodily sound.  And you can feel it sucking your speed and energy, sticking and clinging to your tires.

2 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

It may be kind of unique to Texas' clay soils.  I never really had an objection to the word "moist," but the sound is best described as such.  And it's kind of nasty.  It's a sort of bodily sound.  And you can feel it sucking your speed and energy, sticking and clinging to your tires.

I've battled this.  No noise accompanied though.  Like to the point where I was stopping to see if I was going flat because of the increased resistance.

• Like 1

So, left knee is fully recovered.  But, and this is embarrassing, I was getting out of the car and noticed that the wood strip in the expansion joint of the driveway was sticking up, so I went and stepped on it and I guess was still looking at it when I went up our back steps and tripped and ate it.

There are stone columns on either side of our back steps.  I bonked my head and shoulder on the column as I went down pretty damned hard.  I had a grocery sack in my left hand, so I didn't catch myself like I probably normally would have.  So I barked the top side of my head and bashed my formerly wounded shoulder.  Fucking ow.

So now I have a very tender scraped knot on the side of my head that I'm not super-anxious to put a helmet on.  The shoulder is not really an issue, but it's a little sore and set up a new set of soft-tissue minor pains that have been recurring as it adjusts to my reshaped/deformed collarbone.

I also smacked my knee on one of the steps, getting a less painful variation of knee-meets-dropper lever.

So I have missed a couple days riding now that the trails have finally dried.  Maybe today or tomorrow.

Between this and the knee hits (now explained I think by having to lift my foot to disengage from the pedal with MTB shoes), I'm feeling kinda klutzy and accident prone.  At least no real injuries.  @Knoxtnhorn

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 1

@TwiceHorn

I need to switch back over to the MB.  Even though I've got somewhat of a back roads route for my road bike, the traffic lately has been really annoying.  I get having to cautiously cross 66 when I head over to Rockwall; however, I had to slow down, stop, wait, etc... at least 10 times at various points yesterday.  I road by Squabble yesterday and decided I'd rather be there.

I'm also thinking about getting a Go-Pro soon.  That's even more of a reason to hit the dirt.

• Like 1

On 5/25/2020 at 8:17 AM, TwiceHorn said:

Whatever the hell is going on with these knee strikes, they suck.  For about a day after, straightening the knee as to get up out of a chair is excruciating for about 10 seconds.

It looks like I am dinging the quadriceps tendon near the upper part of the kneecap.  And it seems not to like being stretched or strained while bent and then getting unstretched when I straighten it.  No bruising or swelling.

As mentioned, this has never happened before, but happened twice last week.  Seems to happen in the process of a dab on an overgeared, undermomentumed climb.  So I guess I'm forward overall, bar turned to the left some, which can rapidly become a lot and I guess I'm coming forward off the pedal as I stop, lifting my foot off the pedal to get loose, because Stealth.  This is probably the key item.  Like unclipping, lifting my foot has become a kind of subconscious thing to get loose from the pedal.

Both times my kneecap hit the dropper lever.  Not hard enough to move it or break it or anything, but it provides a nice little point stress to dig into my knee.  One didn't break the skin, one left a little scrape.

Weird, painful.  Avoid.

Maybe consider some protective gear like BMX folks use. 

• Like 1

Pretty solid ride today. I usually ride early on the weekend to beat crowds, but I had some shit to tend to at the farm and didn’t get out until 2:30. Holy fuck, I have never seen so many people on these trails. Ton of hikers. It was simultaneously annoying and heart warming. Weather is as good as you can possibly get for biking. 70, no humidity, sunny, breezy.

db9ce4c3d0f612456ec9bf494d2d7bda.jpg

d4e10c8e94105cf9178d0fdc61608797.jpg

74806487565c2d5e7e096c66c6a399da.jpg

• Like 1

Had a decent ride at Harry Moss yesterday, short in miles (6) and duration (less than an hour).  But I hadn't ridden in a week or 10 days and it was probably the hottest day I have ridden on this year, so I didn't push it.

This is the beginning of the red loop.

IMG-20200601-125857561-HDR.jpg

As usual, it's pretty flattened out.  The drop into the creek crossing is pretty steep and rooty, then you hit those blocks and rocks and the climbout is pretty hellacious.  It's obscured by the brush and trees, but it goes on another 10 feet or so to the top of the trestle.  It's steep enough that you don't really want to walk it, either.

A pretty nasty combination.

I think I posted some night riding videos of people trying to ride this and they make it about as far as the sapling on the left before stalling out.  If not, here it is again.

Night riding strikes me as kind of insane.

Thoughts?

Edited by TwiceHorn

My cousin rides at night a lot in the summer (He's also kind of a cruiser and doesn't really try to ride fast). Two pretty powerful lights on his handlebars, and one on his helmet. He says it's not bad. Seems like  dealing with the shadows and spatial awareness that would be weird. 

Night riding can be a blast. The same trail you've ridden thousands of times will seem completely unfamiliar. It's slower, eerie, thrilling, and maybe even a little scary, but still fun.

Recommended setup is a bright-ass floodlight attached to the bike and a more focused beam attached to your helmet (one to see where the bike is going and one to see where you are looking/will be turning).

Modern LEDs are a gamechanger. So small, yet relatively bright, light and efficient.

For example, this bad boy can pump out 1300 lumens for two hours on its highest setting:

61772_moon_meteor_storm_lite_rechargeabl

Used to need a lantern/motorcycle battery for similar performance 15 years ago.

• Like 1

Night riding can be a blast. The same trail you've ridden thousands of times will seem completely unfamiliar. It's slower, eerie, thrilling, and maybe even a little scary, but still fun.
Recommended setup is a bright-ass floodlight attached to the bike and a more focused beam attached to your helmet (one to see where the bike is going and one to see where you are looking/will be turning).
Modern LEDs are a gamechanger. So small, yet relatively bright, light and efficient.
For example, this bad boy can pump out 1300 lumens for two hours on its highest setting:
61772_moon_meteor_storm_lite_rechargeable_front_bike_light_2019.jpg
Used to need a lantern/motorcycle battery for similar performance 15 years ago.

Yeah it can be a blast. Narrows your vision to the trail ahead by diminishing peripheral vision.

I used to have one of those TurboCat lights with the lead acid battery you strap to the frame. Battery weighed more than my frame.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Arggggh.  Almost all DFW trails open.  Slept well and for 8+ hours,  Felt good. Got an early start and was wheels down at OCNP by 10:30, which is not early, but usually serves my purposes in the peak of summer.

Well it was 90 by the car thermo, 86 by weather apps, 56% RH.  And it was pretty nasty, at least for my level of conditioning and toughness.  I made all the little climbs without seizing up, so that was nice, but hadn't ridden there in a long enough time that I kind of forgot some of the lines and was tentative on descents.  For me, that spells potential disaster, so I walked a lot of stuff.  That always destroys my mindset.  Not a total deathmarch, though.

Short ride in distance and duration.  But I chalk it up to paying my dues for not having ridden in 10 days or more and getting acclimated to the heat.  But geez.

The early reminder that you are, in fact, in Oak Cliff.

IMG-20200603-112235895-HDR.jpg

IMG-20200603-112243067.jpg

The one on the right appears to be a shotgun blast at close range.

Oddly enough, during riding hours, you see plenty of walkers, to include kids and rarely smell the ganj or encounter anything fishy.  I have not heard of cars being broken into in the parking lot, at least not in years.

The skankiest trail, from that perspective, was LB Houston, which is out west Northwest Highway by Luna Road.  Lots of solicitation going on in the parking lots and dubious behavior on the trails.

Edited by TwiceHorn

3 hours ago, orangecat92 said:

New to mtb world.  Would like to buy entry-level mtb.  perfectly wrong timing, as there are no bikes anywhere.  Any fearless forecasters willing to say about how long until i should expect to wait until there are bikes available to purchase? 

Might look for used at Craigslist and pawn shops

7 hours ago, orangecat92 said:

New to mtb world.  Would like to buy entry-level mtb.  perfectly wrong timing, as there are no bikes anywhere.  Any fearless forecasters willing to say about how long until i should expect to wait until there are bikes available to purchase? 

Where are you?

7 hours ago, orangecat92 said:

Do a little research on what new bikes you like and then buy one a couple years old for half the price on craigslist, FB marketplace, or Pinbike.