The Surly Mountain Biking Thread

Braff Zacklin

6 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Was gonna hit a hilly trail today, but it's 78 at 7AM and 69%RH!!!111!!!  After multiple days of <<50%.

Think I'm gonna have to stay in the shade and in the flats.

And I pushed out 10 at River Legacy with wheels down at 1145.  Was quite pleasant in the shade even with temps in high 80s/low 90s and 57%RH.

Tell me about rebuilding or servicing forks.  RS recommends 50 and 200 hour services.  

I'm pretty much technically up to the 50 hour, which is just replacing the wiper seals.  The 200 hour is changing out o-rings and bushings, which doesn't sound too challenging, but I'm not sure what I'd be looking at.

I'm past 200 hours by a pretty far piece.  I wipe and lube the stanchions, but I'm pretty sure it's dirty inside and probably needs fresh oil or oil, period.  Seems stiction-y and is creaking and popping like a mofo.

My biggest obstacle, at present, is finding a "rebuild kit" for my fork.  Rockshox renames the damn things annually and I can't quite figure what's what.

And I know nothing about rear shocks.

Local shop wants 90 bucks to do them both, which is probably worth it, but I have no idea what the wait time is.

9 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Tell me about rebuilding or servicing forks.  RS recommends 50 and 200 hour services.  

I'm pretty much technically up to the 50 hour, which is just replacing the wiper seals.  The 200 hour is changing out o-rings and bushings, which doesn't sound too challenging, but I'm not sure what I'd be looking at.

I'm past 200 hours by a pretty far piece.  I wipe and lube the stanchions, but I'm pretty sure it's dirty inside and probably needs fresh oil or oil, period.  Seems stiction-y and is creaking and popping like a mofo.

My biggest obstacle, at present, is finding a "rebuild kit" for my fork.  Rockshox renames the damn things annually and I can't quite figure what's what.

And I know nothing about rear shocks.

Local shop wants 90 bucks to do them both, which is probably worth it, but I have no idea what the wait time is.

I'd jump on $90 for a 200 hr. My local shop wants $350 for what they call an "annual service", which probably correlates to a 200 hr or close to it for me, and includes a total overhaul, including new oil and all seals and wear parts. (That's for my Fox suspension, I'd imagine it's similar for RS)

Edited by Pescado_Rojo

21 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

I'd jump on $90 for a 200 hr. My local shop wants $350 for what they call an "annual service", which probably correlates to a 200 hr or close to it for me, and includes a total overhaul, including new oil and all seals and wear parts. (That's for my Fox suspension, I'd imagine it's similar for RS)

It's my understanding that a lot of Fox products are basically not user-serviceable.

I'll probably call the shop and find out what I'm in for, wait-wise.

How often do you guys lube your pivots?  Doesn't seem like a big job, but I have heard rumors of misaligning things.

• Like 1

I don’t wrench my own stuff much anymore. I just don’t have the time...well I didn’t before Covid, when I was traveling all the time. I used to drop the bike off for a full tune and lube twice a year. I’d drop it off on my way out of town and it would be ready when I got back. May do it again this weekend. I had my surgery yesterday, so I’m off the bike for 4-6 weeks, aa d they are running 4-5 weeks for major service. 

• Like 2

heal up quick and clean, Pescado.

heading to NM next month with the family.  should get at least one full day up the hill at Red River, tho.

first day off, this week (lunch with my dad).  except for Brushy on Monday, which is flat, it's been about 5-6 miles and 800-1000ft of climbing per day.  mostly lunchtime rides (wednesday wheels down was about 4).  probably an all-day baseboard festival tomorrow, then bcgb on sunday.  

• Like 1

Welp, this morning there was a 20% chance of rain and RH was 74% so that got a big ol fuck that.  Got busy actually working, then just livin (or dyin, depending on perspective) and couldn't get unassed to check the temp or humidity until after noon when it was well over 90.  So no ride today, either.  And I didn't call the shop because I was kind of hoping/planning to ride today or tomorrow at least.

Sooooo, now we're under a severe thunderstorm warning, mostly wind, but it is raining.  The rain chance crept up to 40% and then went to 11.

Now I guess I'll call the shop tomorrow.

PS Heal nicely, Pescado.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

I don’t wrench my own stuff much anymore. I just don’t have the time...well I didn’t before Covid, when I was traveling all the time. I used to drop the bike off for a full tune and lube twice a year. I’d drop it off on my way out of town and it would be ready when I got back. May do it again this weekend. I had my surgery yesterday, so I’m off the bike for 4-6 weeks, aa d they are running 4-5 weeks for major service. 

Rest easy and heal quickly.

Also: take me fishing. LoL

source.gif

• Like 1

I'm friggin beat.

spacer.png

maximum humidity.  but did get a nice sprinkle on the grind back to my truck, which was nice.  

spacer.png

fixin to smoke this, with some garlic-mashed taters.  strictly for recovery purposes.

spacer.png

Happy Father's Day.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, wd40 said:

I'm friggin beat.

spacer.png

maximum humidity.  but did get a nice sprinkle on the grind back to my truck, which was nice.  

spacer.png

fixin to smoke this, with some garlic-mashed taters.  strictly for recovery purposes.

spacer.png

Happy Father's Day.

Quien es mas macho?  WD40 es mas macho.

1 minute ago, Al_4_ISU said:

In a bit of a ride drought.  Been raining about every other day since last week, which never gives the trails enough time to dry.  Tomorrow afternoon might be a shot to squeeze one in.  We'll see.

Same.  We needed the rain, though.  All the trails were cracked as hell.  They also had concrete-y ruts from the last rainy spell. 

Same.  We needed the rain, though.  All the trails were cracked as hell.  They also had concrete-y ruts from the last rainy spell. 

Everyone here is good about not riding when wet and avoiding rut creation in the first place. The trail stewards hammer on it.

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Everyone here is good about not riding when wet and avoiding rut creation in the first place. The trail stewards hammer on it.

Well we are too, buuuut the stewards open things up when there are still muddy spots and there you go.

Also, the bike shop makes appointments for same or next-day turnaround on most service.  So I am set up for 8/5 for fork/shock service.  Pretty cool.

• Like 2

I bought a 2020 Marlin 7 a few months back and have been having a blast improving my skills. There were a couple of things about the bike that weren't ideal but at the price-point it was pretty solid. The three main things it doesn't have that I would like are a 1x11 or 1x12 groupset, tubeless tires, and a dropper post. 

I'm trying to rationalize if it is worth it or not to make these upgrades. The bike itself was just $800, and looking at something like the SRAM NX Eagle groupset would be about $370 before the bottom bracket. This is going to be half the cost of the bike. The overall range would slightly decrease from my 2x9 drivetrain that came with the bike but I have seen my chain slip gears as I'm landing from larger jumps, so a clutched derailleur would be nice.

The wheels are not tubeless ready so I would need to replace those, which ends up getting quite expensive.

The dropper post is doable, but was hoping I'd be able to get rid of the left hand shifter to free up room for the post.

So it probably isn't really worth it, is it? I'm probably just bored/money is burning a hole in my pocket. 

What are yall's thoughts?

skip the dropper.  I use the shit out of mine now, but I rode the same trails for decades without it.  it may not fit your next bike.

try just taking a link or two out of your chain if you're dropping it that much.  I run a 1x10.  supposedly a clutched der.  not gonna say I never drop it, but just putting a narrow-wide chainring on and tossing the front der made an immediate difference before I even went up to my current 10spd setup.   but I was also surprised to see my chain touch the ground in slo-mo on the landing off the ramp in my backyard (filmed it to try to figure out why I suck at jumping.  conclusion:  I just suck at jumping).

anyway, no idea what kind of freehub you got, but you may need a whole new wheel in order to fit an 11 or 12spd cassette if you're currently only running a 9spd.  that is, unless you're a stud wheel builder can just swap out the hub.  but that's kinda pointless, imo.

definitely go tubeless.

• Like 2

Yeah, the conventional wisdom is not to try to upgrade an entry-level bike too much.  The technical hurdles make it too expensive.

If your front cranks don't have riveted chainrings, putting a bashguard for the big ring and a 30 or 32 narrow wide on the small one makes some sense.  Or just dropping the front der and maybe adding a chain guide.  Truth be told, though, I'm not sure 1x offers massive improvement over 2x except weight and lever reduction.  3x has so much slop that the chain drop/suck avoidance is very worthwhile, as well as the shift improvement.

You may be able to go tubeless with a Stan's kit that has rim strips. Or "ghetto tubeless" with gorilla tape or the like.  https://forums.mtbr.com/29er-bikes/marlin-7-tubeless-conversion-split-tube-tape-method-easier-safer-1038983.html

Edited by TwiceHorn

First ride in 10 days. Geezus.  I was a little lazy before the rains came.

Had a Goat rodeo at the Island Preserve.  Great change of pace trail, but really bumpy because it doesn't get a lot of rides.  Knocked out 10 miles in hi 80s low 90s with about 50% humidity.  No climbing to speak of, but there is an uphill section on the way out that can be a bit of a beating after an hour and a half in the heat.  Surprisingly didn't cause me any problems.

The highlight of the ride was this feller.  A fair miracle I saw him lying across the trail and stopped.  He just sat there unmoving for a while. I threw some dirt at him to encourage him to move, but he just s'ed up and stared at me (the second pic is more like how I found him, the first is after he began to regard me).

Then I tried to go to the left of him, and he coiled up a little and actually struck at my bike.  Finally, he let me pass, but stayed coiled up in the middle of the trail. Obstreperous little dude.

It's funny how some snakes seem to want to GTFO when I come along, and others just play possum or do very little for a considerable period of time.

IMG_20200627_125027321.jpg

IMG_20200627_124901640.jpg

IMG_20200627_124922635.jpg

IMG_20200627_125114171.jpg

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Definitely a nerodia. Chubby fucker. Not to be too much of a Debbie Downer, but I wish it were in focus.

I had my gloves on, which made me have to "push" the button repeatedly to get it to snap.  Didn't realize how bad it was until I got home.

Also why I didn't post the pix directly in the snek thread for invidious comparison to Swayze's photos.

Edited by TwiceHorn

I've been up since about 3:30 this morning, trying to ruin a couple briskets, briefly setting myself on fire and fighting with my chainsaw.  nothing to drink but some (unproductive) coffee and a couple fizzy waters.

I'll be lugging a pile of used beef up and down the hill at RPR in the morning, before spending the rest of the day just down the street from there, in/on the lake.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, wd40 said:

I've been up since about 3:30 this morning, trying to ruin a couple briskets, briefly setting myself on fire and fighting with my chainsaw.  nothing to drink but some (unproductive) coffee and a couple fizzy waters.

I'll be lugging a pile of used beef up and down the hill at RPR in the morning, before spending the rest of the day just down the street from there, in/on the lake.

Dude, the chainsaws always win. And self immolation is never the answer. On second thought, maybe you should start drinking.

Also: what is RPR?

If it weren’t for coffee and fizzy water, I’d likely be dead

Give me your thoughts on gloves.  I have had (still have) a pair of Fox Dirtpaw and Dakine Cross-X.  To me pretty similar gloves.  They have knuckle protection, which I haven't precisely used, but makes me feel better.  They both breathe well, it seems and as far as I know, my hands don't get hot.  They do sweat, but that's just gonna happen.  Doesn't interfere with grip with either of these gloves or my grips.

The Dakines just developed a hole, looks like they came unstitched.  Probably still good for a while.  My inclination is to get the Dirtpaws again, because they are cheaper.

Will "minimalist" or lightweight gloves change my life?  Any recs?

2x, my opinion on gloves probably isn't very relevant as it's just not an area I'm very sensitive about.  my criteria are:  longevity, protection and price.  I wear automotive 'pit crew' gloves.  I wore Mechanix Wear for a while, but they kept getting fancier and more shittily made.   

very moist down here today, too, Al.  seriously thick, hot air.  "thought I was gonna die".

but here's a very small section of RPR.  all I had time for this morning before meeting the family down at the lake.

about 10 pages back I posted some stills of one of the jumps in this video.  they filled in the gap, which probably saved some lives.  so the mental block went away.  based on where I was landing, I'd have cleared it, despite the headwind all morning on that trail.  don't get me wrong, I still suck at jumping.  but my brain's not running around like Jonathan Mardukas in the 1st Class cabin so much anymore.

• Like 2

Yeah, I wore some fingerless mechanic gloves when I started out.  Then got the Fox and decided they were an improvement then the Dakine as they started wearing out.  Not only do both of them have some knuckle protection, their meshy backs were a ventilation improvement. So I was shopping around for deals, reviews, and whatnot and a lot of the sites seem to favor super-lightweight gloves.

I think I have mostly stopped whacking things with the ends of my 780mm bars, but I very much like the idea of some knuckle protection.

The Fox are running about 27 on amazon, are your pit gloves markedly cheaper than that?  

There was a 20% chance of rain predicted today and it was cloudy/overcast, which kept temps down enough to probably compensate for the humidity.  Twice when I was about to put the bike on the rack it rained briefly, so I blew it off today.

<$14 on Amazon.  I get 'em at Oreilley's up the street.  

if that mesh back is really important to you, don't bother.  these have a layer of foam on the back and over the knuckles.  they're for working on cars.  again, I'm just not that sensitive to it.  they feel no different to me heat-wise than the boatload of Fox gloves I burned through twice as fast at twice the price.  plus, Fox kept fucking with the wrist closure, which seemed to get progressively less reliable with each new model.  

and the touch screen performance is surprisingly good, even on my Lifeproof case in the stupid-humid conditions, today.  fwiw.

9 minutes ago, wd40 said:

<$14 on Amazon.  I get 'em at Oreilley's up the street.  

if that mesh back is really important to you, don't bother.  these have a layer of foam on the back and over the knuckles.  they're for working on cars.  again, I'm just not that sensitive to it.  they feel no different to me heat-wise than the boatload of Fox gloves I burned through twice as fast at twice the price.  plus, Fox kept fucking with the wrist closure, which seemed to get progressively less reliable with each new model.  

and the touch screen performance is surprisingly good, even on my Lifeproof case in the stupid-humid conditions, today.  fwiw.

No I'm not sure the mesh is all that important to me.  What's the brand?

I guess they're kind of trim fit?  Some of the mechanic type gloves don't seem to be.

Edited by TwiceHorn

Fairly glorious ride today at River Legacy.  The brief rains created pretty close to hero dirt and I was just flowin.  Fun, even with a lot of pedaling.

Wish I could get fork serviced sooner than August.  It was about to drive me crazy with the creaking and popping.  Seems to cycle fine, but lateral and torsional stresses make it noisy.

• Like 1

Well shit.  I googled around and it looks like the creaking may be a crown/steerer issue.  I was having trouble envisioning why it would creak from fork internals, even if dry or busted.  But, who knows. It is literally right at the two year warranty.

If I need a new fork, hopefully the shop can hook me up with a takeoff.  I'm not sure if I'd know a better fork if it jumped up and bit me in the ass, but I'd like to improve it if I have to replace it. 

It's not that hot (mid 80's), but the 75% humidity is obnoxious.  Trying to figure out riding schedule for the week.  Tonight might be an option, timewise.  Got COVID tested today, so I want to see how that turns out.  No symptoms myself, but I was in the same room last Wednesday as someone who is now positive and would have been positive at that time as well, based on their exposure.

Rode tonight. Didn’t see a soul the whole time. Started raining hard right as pulled up to the trailhead, but I thought “fuck it” and persisted. Turned to a drizzle relatively quickly, and rapidly dropped the humidity. Ended up being a really comfortable ride, and other than spinning out on a couple spots I usually don’t, I didn’t mind the semi slickness at all. There were places where the canopy prevented the rain from even getting to the dirt. Honestly a really fun and memorable ride.

Much needed therapy.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Rode tonight. Didn’t see a soul the whole time. Started raining hard right as pulled up to the trailhead, but I thought “fuck it” and persisted. Turned to a drizzle relatively quickly, and rapidly dropped the humidity. Ended up being a really comfortable ride, and other than spinning out on a couple spots I usually don’t, I didn’t mind the semi slickness at all. There were places where the canopy prevented the rain from even getting to the dirt. Honestly a really fun and memorable ride.

Much needed therapy.

I got rained on a little on one of my very first MTB rides.  Was pretty enjoyable actually as I didn't get drenched because I was in the shade, and also a very non-technical trail so no issues there.

• Like 1

Do any of you guys wear masks on the trail? 

First, I think it's unnecessary as our trails aren't crowded usually.

Second, I can't really imagine.

I have to confess though that at the trailhead or stops, the whole MTB thing seriously reduces my consciousness of social distancing.  Although while mounted its hard to get closer than six feet, and there's not really any reason to if sitting around on picnic tables/benches at trailhead.