The Surly Mountain Biking Thread

Braff Zacklin

Well, this sucks.

This past week, thieves accessed BSA Camp Wisdom by the Interstate 20 boundary and compromised the fenced property operated by Circle Ten Council.   With 371 acres, located in Dallas County, it is one of the oldest camps in Texas, this camp is filled with lots of camping history. 

The thefts occurred during the night, and possibly occurred over consecutive nights.   It is speculated that stolen items may have been staged in the woods near the point of entry, as some of the bikes were recovered inside camp, stashed in the brush.   Although multiple buildings were targeted and other items stolen, the hardest hit was the Bike Barn, the storage location for all the Mountain Bikes for the Council's Cycling Merit Badge and Mountain Biking Adventure Programs.

Due to the thefts occurring on the property, 23 of the 30 mountain bikes were lost or damaged.   All of the bicycle maintenance and repair tools were taken, and some of the trail maintenance tools were taken.   For the Cycling Merit Badge and Mountain Biking Adventure Program alone, estimated losses are close to $20,000.00.  This theft will affect and most likely **cancel our valued Cycling Merit Badge & Mountain Biking Adventure Program at  2021 Summer Camps, for hundreds of Scouts, Boys and Girls. 

Law enforcement has gathered some tips and leads and believe that at least some of the stolen items may still be in the nearby area of I-20 and Spur 408, in various municipalities. Solid tips should be directed to Detective Joe Gonzales 214-671-0636, Case #072210-202.

Reach out to Boy Scout Circle Ten Council Camping Director, Scott Arrington, through the Council Office at 972-741-5093, or 214-902-6700, if you can offer assistance to help get program up and running again.   Any financial contributions should be specified for the "Cycling Merit Badge & Mountain Biking Adventure Program" of Circle Ten Council, BSA.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10226591609003170&id=1435150460

• Rage+1 1

28 minutes ago, sasquatch69 said:

Are there any trails in Camp Wisdom?  There certainly could be, the geo is just like Boulder and OCNP.  I'm not aware of any, though.

And, I think you're still involved in Scouting, is it still used?

When I was in scouts, we always camped there a couple of times a year.  For whatever reason, it usually rained like hell, so my associations are not altogether pleasant.  Back then, most non-inner-city troops didn't use it much.

Edited by TwiceHorn

31 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Are there any trails in Camp Wisdom?  There certainly could be, the geo is just like Boulder and OCNP.  I'm not aware of any, though.

And, I think you're still involved in Scouting, is it still used?

When I was in scouts, we always camped there a couple of times a year.  For whatever reason, it usually rained like hell, so my associations are not altogether pleasant.  Back then, most non-inner-city troops didn't use it much.

There are trails, but they’re not open to public - they are used for the BSA programs mentioned above.

I’m still an active scout leader, and these days Wisdom is used a ton, but mostly for day programs and training programs. Our troop usually prefers to camp further out due to highway noise at wisdom. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, sasquatch69 said:

There are trails, but they’re not open to public - they are used for the BSA programs mentioned above.

I’m still an active scout leader, and these days Wisdom is used a ton, but mostly for day programs and training programs. Our troop usually prefers to camp further out due to highway noise at wisdom. 

Yeah, they had camporees and whatnot.  My troop was the only one that camped there that I was aware of.  We didn't really notice the road noise.  You could hear it on hikes and screwing around in the woods, but the campsites were pretty quiet.  One night, some horses kept somewhere got loose and went through our campsite knocking over the cookboxes and coolers and whatnot while it stormed like crazy.  We woke up and couldn't cook breakfast because most of our shit was messed up.  Couldn't start a fire anyway.

• Rage+1 1

Yeah. I’ve ridden out there We(DORBA) tried to get a partnership worked out with them back in the 90s for a MTB trail system but it never got off the ground and other opportunities were emerging. Some of the best topography in D/FW.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Hook 'Em 1

53 minutes ago, TexPx said:

Meanwhile in Frisco
https://designworkshop.co1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_2mAATx78gAFLVTU

Interdasting.

As someone with experience with trail building, which do you like?  Not sure it affects the trails a whole lot, though.  I haven't been out there since it shut down and reopened.

Interdasting.
As someone with experience with trail building, which do you like?  Not sure it affects the trails a whole lot, though.  I haven't been out there since it shut down and reopened.

Probably a combination. I like having MTB
parking/ trailhead separated like The Hub but I like more separation of the skills and features in the other one. Yeah, trails are pretty much the same in both.

This is on the doorstep of the new PGA Headquarters and course. Frisco wants more than just ratty old MTB trails there :)

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I need a ride, big time. Maybe next weekend. Planting dragging out a hair

I missed about two weeks due to weather, work schedule changes, and an acute case of vaginitis. Only two rides in the past three weeks. Sad.

Anyway, finally got to ride yesterday and again today. Temps have been all over the place:

Last Monday's high was 48, Tuesday's 56, Wednesday's 67, Thursday's 74, Friday's 84, today's 74, Sunday's (forecast) 55, and Monday's (forecast) 60.

Fuck that. You can keep your 92. Hope we don't have to deal with that until June at the earliest.
And I imagine you're a good bit more humid than we are here.

Normally, yes. It was really dry and windy so it didn’t feel like 92 and I wasn’t sweaty mess whilst working all day in that. But when I jumped in the tractor to do some tillage after 8 hours of working in that, I could tell I was drained.

We just came off the 2nd driest April in recorded history.

It's still muddy as hell in the SA creeks. There is no where for the water to go. I rounded a corner and was about to go down into a 15 ft drop into the creek and at the last minute I see it's 3 feet under water. Slammed on the brakes and spun my back tire around and had to sit down to avoid going in. Ended up sitting in a cactus or something. I've got tiny splinters in my back leg and ass.

New pedals. Needed some color PXL_20210507_190915626.jpgPXL_20210507_190919933.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3

11 minutes ago, midtown said:

It's still muddy as hell in the SA creeks. There is no where for the water to go. I rounded a corner and was about to go down into a 15 ft drop into the creek and at the last minute I see it's 3 feet under water. Slammed on the brakes and spun my back tire around and had to sit down to avoid going in. Ended up sitting in a cactus or something. I've got tiny splinters in my back leg and ass.

New pedals. Needed some color PXL_20210507_190915626.jpgPXL_20210507_190919933.jpg

Yeah, after significant weather, I'm always a little wary of what's on the other side of various features.  We have a lot of fairly steep creek crossings that you come up on "blind" and they have short little bridges over them because you probably wouldn't want to try the actual creek/bed itself.

You'd think the stewards would check those before opening a trail, and they mostly do, but I have seen just enough of those washed out bridges to fear it.

2 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

You'd think the stewards would check those before opening a trail, and they mostly do, but I have seen just enough of those washed out bridges to fear it.

Trail stewards don't give a shit about the dirt trails in SA.  They only monitor the cement for 90% of the public.    It would take hours upon hours to check all the dirt and its every man or women for themselves if you are a dirt rider

• Rage+1 1

Northshore just opened back up, which meant it was time to try out my latest purchase. 2021 Ibis Mojo 4. Still need to set it up tubeless and really dial in the suspension, but this thing is insanely good. Most playful and nimble bike I’ve ever ridden. Was hoping the Scott genius I bought a while back would be the quiver killer I was wanting that I could take to XC trails and bike parks alike, but it was just too cumbersome and lumbering for XC use. This thing seems like it’s gonna fit the bill. 

D4BE13DA-B55B-4141-A3BA-488145CD12C0.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

On 5/8/2021 at 10:48 AM, midtown said:

Trail stewards don't give a shit about the dirt trails in SA.  They only monitor the cement for 90% of the public.    It would take hours upon hours to check all the dirt and its every man or women for themselves if you are a dirt rider

Well theres really no way to close off the dirt and leave the paved open. 

on that note it pisses me if when I get stink eye from walkers on the dirt trails.  I ring my bell, slow down, and pass nicely and I they give me a look like they are doing me a favor by stepping aside.  Fucker, these trails wouldn’t even be here if bikers didn’t build them.  

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

on that note it pisses me if when I get stink eye from walkers on the dirt trails.  I ring my bell, slow down, and pass nicely and I they give me a look like they are doing me a favor by stepping aside.  Fucker, these trails wouldn’t even be here if bikers didn’t build them.  

Don't even get me started.      Hey buddy.  The cement is all yours and the pedestrians have the right of way but over here on the dirt?  This belongs primarily to the bikes.  We will give you a shout out, we will slow but we are coming through whether you like it or not.   

5 hours ago, midtown said:

Don't even get me started.      Hey buddy.  The cement is all yours and the pedestrians have the right of way but over here on the dirt?  This belongs primarily to the bikes.  We will give you a shout out, we will slow but we are coming through whether you like it or not.   

Hell, I respect their right to be there.  I understand right off way.  I’m don’t get upset if I have to stop so they can find a good spot to move off, or if  they have to gather their kids.  Just don’t look at me like I’m an asshole.

But this is really a small percentage.  
most people are fine and some actually apologize when they really don’t have to

ok, bitchfest over. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Had to get back on the bike somehow, so I rode about 8mi last night on some newish paved trails along PGBT in Garland (combined with surface streets in Sachse).  The trailhead also has a gravel road for utility easement access that leads into the back side of the Rowlett Creek Preserve, so I rode in.  What little I could see of the trails was still muck/underwater.  This sucks - and the forecast isn't any better for days.

• Rage+1 1

Even though all the DORBA trails are still closed, got in a really nice 5mi tonight at Breckenridge Park in Richardson. I’ve hiked out there enough to know which trails to avoid after lots of rain, but there are enough that are either open pasture or Austin chalk so they were nice and dry. I’ll take it right now. 

EA3C7482-E0D5-4FCB-BD5A-13C7D50A00E7.jpeg

27F21777-4EF4-420D-A197-04C99C666958.jpeg

16F81B39-F479-4571-8AC9-A74D5BD7A179.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sasquatch69 said:

Even though all the DORBA trails are still closed, got in a really nice 5mi tonight at Breckenridge Park in Richardson. I’ve hiked out there enough to know which trails to avoid after lots of rain, but there are enough that are either open pasture or Austin chalk so they were nice and dry. I’ll take it right now. 

EA3C7482-E0D5-4FCB-BD5A-13C7D50A00E7.jpeg

27F21777-4EF4-420D-A197-04C99C666958.jpeg

16F81B39-F479-4571-8AC9-A74D5BD7A179.jpeg

Hmmm.  I thought I was familiar with all the unpaved trails in Dallas County, by name at least.  That one escaped me.

11 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Hmmm.  I thought I was familiar with all the unpaved trails in Dallas County, by name at least.  That one escaped me.

It’s way out on the far eastern border of Richardson, close to Murphy and Sachse. Huge park. Eastern half has several miles of paved trails. Western half (on opposite side of creek) has all the unpaved trails, with two bridge connections across the creek. Best place to park is the lot along Moroney Drive south of Renner - you ride down the hill towards the woods to the south and follow the trails (they’re all marked “Breckenridge Trail” on Google Maps). It takes some exploring - and the trails deeper in the woods under tree canopy are still tacky/muddy/underwater. 

Edited by sasquatch69
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, sasquatch69 said:

It’s way out on the far eastern border of Richardson, close to Murphy and Sachse. Huge park. Eastern half has several miles of paved trails. Western half (on opposite side of creek) has all the unpaved trails, with two bridge connections across the creek. Best place to park is the lot along Moroney Drive south of Renner - you ride down the hill towards the woods to the south and follow the trails (they’re all marked “Breckenridge Trail” on Google Maps). It takes some exploring - and the trails deeper in the woods under tree canopy are still tacky/muddy/underwater. 

I'll have to check it out.  When my bike went down in August, I started exploring non-bike unpaved trails, and a few paved.

A lot of them would be pretty fun on the bike, but I guess it's bad form to do it.  Many of them are sufficiently lightly used that no one would know. But it would probably be kind of mortifying to come across one of the trail stewards on your bike.

Spent the past two weeks working in Longview. Rained every day but the last two. Sabine seemed pretty full, but it was nothing compared to the Trinity. Crossed it on US 80 outside Mesquite on my way into DFW International and that thing was swole. Geez. You guys ain't ever gonna dry out.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Spent the past two weeks working in Longview. Rained every day but the last two. Sabine seemed pretty full, but it was nothing compared to the Trinity. Crossed it on US 80 outside Mesquite on my way into DFW International and that thing was swole. Geez. You guys ain't ever gonna dry out.

Oddly the trails in Tyler are open. Or have been with some regularity since the waters came. 

Spent last weekend in Hot Springs. Toted a buncha furniture to my brother so no room for the bike. Rained off and on but checked out Northwoods, Cedar Glades, and Pullman and they all were in great shape. Bummer!

4 hours ago, TexPx said:

Spent last weekend in Hot Springs. Toted a buncha furniture to my brother so no room for the bike. Rained off and on but checked out Northwoods, Cedar Glades, and Pullman and they all were in great shape. Bummer!

My parents are from that general neck of the woods and the dirt is "sandy loam," which is probably similar to what's out in Tyler.  Seems to dry out pretty quick.  Doesn't make gnarly black gumbo mud, either.

Edited by TwiceHorn

Had a bunch of places to be today, but I had a window of about three hours this afternoon in between commitments, and noticed that Big Cedar switched from red to green in the DORBA app. I hauled ass down there and was able to squeeze in 5 miles. It was hot, trails were overgrown and the bugs were worse than usual, but it was glorious.

• Hook 'Em 1

43 minutes ago, sasquatch69 said:

Had a bunch of places to be today, but I had a window of about three hours this afternoon in between commitments, and noticed that Big Cedar switched from red to green in the DORBA app. I hauled ass down there and was able to squeeze in 5 miles. It was hot, trails were overgrown and the bugs were worse than usual, but it was glorious.

Yeah, I saw that, but it was already 85 plus by the time I discovered it.  I ain't ready for that.

Not gonna go tomorrow for same reason and closed Monday.

Well, an interesting experience today.  A youngish relative (34) moved back to Dallas after years in Colorado Springs.  And bought an intro-level mountain bike.  So he was itching to ride.  He was kind of active in Colorado Springs with fishing and other outdoor activities, but not exercising per se.

So, with Big Cedar, Boulder, and Windmill Hill being the only trails open today, I decided I would take him to Boulder.  I don't know how it compares for "climbiness" or other features to the two others, which I have never ridden, so I figured devll you know.

Boulder is kinda climby and has a fairly monstrous climb out.  There are also a few places to turn around and head back to the trailhead to cut the ride real short and avoid the climb out.  I don't consider myself to be in proper shape for Boulder, having not ridden since April, and the heat.  I figure the 20 year age difference and coming from the altitude of Colorado Springs set us on pretty even footing.

Wrong.  He catastrophically bonked a mile and a half into the trail.  I didn't think I'd have to call 911, although he was kind of whining about it.  To my surprise, I was pretty fresh and strong even despite the heat.  After about  30-45 minutes of kvetching and lying in the shade, we managed to walk/ride back out, wrong direction, and cut probably a half mile off the route so we did maybe 2.5 miles at the outside with the last half walked.

So, I am actually in better shape than some people!  And maybe ok shape for my age.

Also, @sasquatch69 or any of the other DFW riders @TexPx ever ridden WIndmill Hill down in Duncanville/Desoto?

It's a little further south than Boulder off 67.  I don't recall having seen it "dried out" early, like it apparently is, but I know almost no one that's ridden it.  It's short and all green but seems to have quite a bit of climbing with grades >>10% and similarly steep descents.  

3 hours ago, midtown said:

If you do almost any aerobic activity 2-3x a week you are unfortunately in better shape than about 80 % of Americans

Also, mountain biking--and cycling in general--is so leg intensive that you can be in excellent cardio shape and still blow up quickly if you're not used to it.

• Hook 'Em 1