The Surly Mountain Biking Thread

Braff Zacklin

Does it show you actually on the trail using GPS?  That would be pretty cool. I still get kinda lost-ish on some of the poorly marked trails around here.
I guess because I'm not far removed from being a newb, and being an old, gaping vag, I really enjoy some flat, fast singletrack.

Yes it does.

Below is a screenshot of my ride on Sunday. In the app, as you zoom in most of the side trails come on. It’s pretty complete. You can also switch between many different maps, view stats but without the Strava bro factor, etc. I did the lifetime membership for $99. It was worth it IMO.

25ac22c09d7008b5ec2cd7a8c0a3785a.png
  • Like 1

You just posted a screenshot of my most common ride. In the section between escarpment and mopac I like to do the two creek crossings to make it like a double figure 8. There’s also a nice rocky windy section if you keep going west of escarpment, through the tunnels and then up to the left. It goes back behind the disc golf course. On longer days I connect it to Slaughter Creek Preserve or I cross Slaughter at Walgreens and onto the network of trails that go north toward Violet Crown. 

They aren’t my favorite trails in Austin, but it’s quick and close so I end up there more often than not. 

Edited by Chuychanga

4 minutes ago, Chuychanga said:

You just posted a screenshot of my most common ride. In the section between escarpment and mopac I like to do the two creek crossings to make it like a double figure 8. There’s also a nice rocky windy section if you keep going west of escarpment, through the tunnels and then up to the left. It goes back behind the disc golf course. On longer days I connect it to Slaughter Creek Preserve or I cross Slaughter at Walgreens and onto the network of trails that go north toward Violet Crown. 

I generally try to do 8-10 miles by adding a loop on the west side of escarpment around the disc golf and soccer fields but I was about to pass out from the heat. That's some really fun single track IMO. I like that section posted the best. 

Also, thanks for posting something that doesn't show you at 12mph over 20 miles.  I took about a year off before getting my new bike so I am in lousy shape and the heat doesn't help (I ride in the mornings typically so it's under 90 most of the time), but goodgodalmighty I feel slow.  I am not that competitive, but I can't help looking at what other people do and seeing what a sad sack I am.

And the wide bars having me slowing down on otherwise fast stuff every time I approach a suspect tree gate.  There's one I posted upthread that's on my "home" trail, but I'll be damned if it doesn't surprise me almost every time.  We also got rain and wind last week so there is shit all over the trails that keeps me from trying to shred where I can.  And the trails are still "moist" and feel kind of gross to roll on and make a moist noise.

I generally like the riding position afforded by the wide bars, but I am thinking I would still have that at 760 or 740 and might not be so paranoid on the trail.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/3/2018 at 6:55 PM, Austinvines said:

Cooter and Chuy, I’m fat and have terrible lungs, but ride the fuck out of the Southie Trails if y’all ever want to make a ride call some day. Pre-game this Saturday? With the way Texas is playing, my entire Saturday may be open soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd love to but I work an odd schedule and most of my rides are M-F mid-mornings.  The Crank 'N Drank is a fun group ride from ATX Bikes on those same trails every Tuesday night followed by beers at the shop.  You'll need a bright light and maybe at least little experience riding after dark.  I've only done it a couple of times but it was fun and a good workout.  They break up into two groups and based on my experience of working my ass off to stay up with the slow group, the fast group must be a bunch of badasses.  

• 3 weeks later...

it's funny.   the end clip was the first time I'd been to the drop zone.   on the way there, the guy I was following said he would lead me over the C or D drop.  ok, sure.  then  he heads over to the big one, and I say 'that's not gonna happen' and instead try to angle off to get him launching in profile.  sorta worked.

the thing about these places is they're designed for you to succeed.  all you have to do is stay on the bike and off the brakes, and it flows perfectly.  the hardest thing was the banked turns.  lots of braking bumps on some of them, so it was hard (for me) to find a good line and just rail it.  it got a lot better after I plushed out my suspension more.  in the drop zone, the difference in the impact on landing between the A and C is negligible.  the only difference is about a half second of air time.

we were having beers afterward around the garage where we kept the bikes, and one of the trail crew came by, walking his dog.  so we gave him a beer.  really interesting perspective.  he mentioned he got yelled at by his boss that morning for not getting over to fix a particular ramp where one of the test riders got bucked up over the front a bit.  they got it down to a science.

• Like 1

Mapp,  it's mine.   I converted the Pike off my P111 to 160, migrated over my X9 drive train, XT brakes, and Hadley/Stan's Flow front wheel.  I had to build a new rear wheel (also Hadley/Stan's)  and threw on a set of Minion DDs.  the only things that survived from the stock build were the shock and the dropper post.  

the bike rides well around here, aside from some tree gates and spots that the wider bars require a different line.  I guess the good news with everyone going to wider bars, the trails are evolving to compensate with very little effort on my part.

Stink, probably doesn't do you any good, as far as the drive, but they're opening up a lift-served trail in Burnet.  Spider Mountain.  I'll believe it when I see it.   gonna have an Enduro race there this weekend.  couple of my buddies are going.  I don't have the time or patience.  to me, that just means the usual places won't be as crowded.  but I definitely need to keep AF or another on the schedule, every summer.  just too fun.

• Like 2

Pos rep. Hadn’t heard about that. I make frequent trips back to the Austin area, so I may have to bring one of the bikes down with me after the crowds (hopefully) die down once it’s been open for a while. If nothing else, just to experience the novelty of it. And I’m right there with you on making an annual summer trip up to CO or NM. I certainly enjoy sweating my way around these trails in Texas, but flying wide open down a mountain with endless jumps and drops while basically never cranking the pedals was everything I dreamed about doing when I bought my first bike 20 something years ago. It’ll definitely spoil a person, but anybody reading this thread that hasn’t done that type of riding and has wanted to.... Do it. It absolutely will not disappoint.

All the dorba trails got destroyed by the recent rain.  Gonna be weeks to get some of them back.  This is my closest trail https://www.facebook.com/groups/698421633521889/.

I have also had my biannual change of weather sickness, so I guess I wouldn't be riding even if the trails weren't fubar.  And I will be weak af when I start up again.

I ride, perhaps foolishly, without eye protection. Despite riding trails with some fairly close-in brush and face slappers, I have never had a problem getting hit in the eye with anything in five years of riding.

Further, the majority of my riding is in the woods, so anything in the nature of "sunglasses" is going to be a no go.  Would have to be clear or yellow or something. 

Lately, though (time of year maybe) I get what I call the "dapple effect," which is when bright sunlight is coming through the trees and a breeze blows and it's momentarily blinding.  Similar thing sometimes happens coming into the woods from a clearing.  Is there any type of lens or glasses that helps with that?  My new bike has inspired me to travel to trails again, so I am riding more unfamiliar or forgotten trails and being blinded on them for a second or two is a bit scary at times.

I have eyeglasses and usually ride with them on so I don’t really need protection. Occasionally, I have prescription sunglasses that I will use but only on trails that I know well since they are as dark as I can get them.

My 17yo’s ride with Oakley Jawbreakers with the Prizm Trail lenses. They are goofy as hell and huge,but they are perfect for the dappled sun and shade you get with central Texas trails. I’ve got a weird cataract that will require lens replacement (definitely not the old person cataract). I’m looking forward to buying off the rack glasses once it’s done. Nothing as large as the Jawbreakers but maybe the flak jacket with the Prizm Trail.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

I ride, perhaps foolishly, without eye protection. Despite riding trails with some fairly close-in brush and face slappers, I have never had a problem getting hit in the eye with anything in five years of riding.

Further, the majority of my riding is in the woods, so anything in the nature of "sunglasses" is going to be a no go.  Would have to be clear or yellow or something. 

Lately, though (time of year maybe) I get what I call the "dapple effect," which is when bright sunlight is coming through the trees and a breeze blows and it's momentarily blinding.  Similar thing sometimes happens coming into the woods from a clearing.  Is there any type of lens or glasses that helps with that?  My new bike has inspired me to travel to trails again, so I am riding more unfamiliar or forgotten trails and being blinded on them for a second or two is a bit scary at times.

I made the mistake of no glasses once at Muleshoe. Left em in the car and in the first mile smacked the eyeball with a branch. Never left em again

Fucking Oak Cliff Nature Preserve.  It's a lovely trail, kind of hill-country-ish, but it's so poorly marked it's like playing Leisure Suit Larry or some shit.  This morning I "unlocked" the Purple Loop, which is supposed to be advanced beginner.  Fuck that shit, had some rocky-ass, rooty, steep, long climbs and I had bombed the easier parts getting to it so I was tired and didn't eat enough or bring anything.  I hate walking loops so much (that's pride, Butch, fucking with your head).  I won't let myself do the descents if I can't do the climbs.

Also, there is a creek crossing on one of the loops with a really steep runout.  It's steep enough dropping in that getting up it isn't a problem, but it's a suspension-bottomer.  Coming up it, I get a kind of "buzzy" (not thunky) hit.  I don't think my shock is bottoming (o-ring is still on the shaft, not below it), it isn't a pedal strike (but it kind of feels like one where you hit plastic pedal not crank), I don't think I'm hitting my chainring, but it's possible.  Is a Rockshox Recon kind of buzzy when it bottoms or packs up?  It could be my saddle, too.

Edited by TwiceHorn

sounds more like tire clearance is tight  and your getting some flex or something on G-outs that's causing tire rub.  esp if you have a Maxxle, DT Swiss, or similar QR skewer, you might also want to check it hasn't loosened itself.

re:  eye pro

fwiw, at AF, I ran clear lenses on my goggles and had no issues with things being too bright, and itnwas full sun most of the time.  I refuse to spend pri$m money on mtb eyewear.  gets scratch or trashed too easy.   on days with even partial sun, I wear full shades.  on cloudy or rainy days, I go orange or clear.    I could go on a rant about the extinction of 'value' gear, but I won't.

as usual, don't over-think it.  go lighter on the shade if you're concerned about heavy sky coverage.  with a visor helmet, it won't be a problem in areas of full sun.  if you're that concerned with your pupils, you're not focusing on what really matters:  the exit of the turn, body position, HAVING FUN, etc.

10 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Fucking Oak Cliff Nature Preserve.  It's a lovely trail, kind of hill-country-ish, but it's so poorly marked it's like playing Leisure Suit Larry or some shit.  This morning I "unlocked" the Purple Loop, which is supposed to be advanced beginner.  Fuck that shit, had some rocky-ass, rooty, steep, long climbs and I had bombed the easier parts getting to it so I was tired and didn't eat enough or bring anything.  I hate walking loops so much (that's pride, Butch, fucking with your head).  I won't let myself do the descents if I can't do the climbs.

Also, there is a creek crossing on one of the loops with a really steep runout.  It's steep enough dropping in that getting up it isn't a problem, but it's a suspension-bottomer.  Coming up it, I get a kind of "buzzy" (not thunky) hit.  I don't think my shock is bottoming (o-ring is still on the shaft, not below it), it isn't a pedal strike (but it kind of feels like one where you hit plastic pedal not crank), I don't think I'm hitting my chainring, but it's possible.  Is a Rockshox Recon kind of buzzy when it bottoms or packs up?  It could be my saddle, too.

Csb was out for a ride in college with my longtime friend and roommate.  I drop into a small creek crossing from a 2-3' high bank peddle the 15' across the rocky shallow stream (maybe 6" deep) climb the other side and hear a big splash behind me.  I stop and laugh because I know my dumb ass friend just took a stupid fall.  It's a hot day and this is towards the end of our ride, I look back and see him laying on his back in the cool clear stream....  

I say "hey, are you all right?"   

Stupid roommate in a normal voice: "no"

me: "yeah right, what's wrong?"

stupid roommate still laying in the stream " I broke my collarbone "

me: " ok Doctor, how do you know?"

stupid roommate: " because I can see it"

me: "goddamnit"

/csb.  Careful with those little drops

Thanks.  The other thing it could be is dropper post, which is why I said saddle, I think.  I had an unexpectedly hard hit going fast on mostly flat while actually seated and it was kind of similar to this, although I wasn't fully seated for this.  I dont think the tires rubbed.  Some of you would probably scoff at this hit, but I have ridden it three times, and each time coming out of it (really hitting where the fairly steep up-face hits the bottom, so I'm thinking fork fairly compressed already and then getting another, kind of vertical-ish hit) and each time got a little "bzzzzz" or twang as part of it.  Almost like the saddle rails are vibrating (there is some angular slop because of the dropper).

If I could fine some photochromic or color changing glasses for 25 bucks or so, I'd be all over that.

On 10/4/2018 at 10:02 PM, Austinvines said:

I have eyeglasses and usually ride with them on so I don’t really need protection. Occasionally, I have prescription sunglasses that I will use but only on trails that I know well since they are as dark as I can get them.

My 17yo’s ride with Oakley Jawbreakers with the Prizm Trail lenses. They are goofy as hell and huge,but they are perfect for the dappled sun and shade you get with central Texas trails. I’ve got a weird cataract that will require lens replacement (definitely not the old person cataract). I’m looking forward to buying off the rack glasses once it’s done. Nothing as large as the Jawbreakers but maybe the flak jacket with the Prizm Trail.

I have prescription Oakley Prizm Trail glasses. Expensive AF but really worth if you wear glasses.

2 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

For those who may be interested, Amazon has Prizm Trail Crossrange shades for under $100.  Still a little rich for my blood.  How are they as shooting glasses?  Anyone tried that?

Do you have a link? 

13 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

I have prescription Oakley Prizm Trail glasses. Expensive AF but really worth if you wear glasses.

That awesome. My astigmatism is supposedly high enough that only very flat lenses are possible for me and most of the oakley's wrap around too much. What frames do you have?

23 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Thanks.  The other thing it could be is dropper post, which is why I said saddle, I think.  I had an unexpectedly hard hit going fast on mostly flat while actually seated and it was kind of similar to this, although I wasn't fully seated for this.  I dont think the tires rubbed.  Some of you would probably scoff at this hit, but I have ridden it three times, and each time coming out of it (really hitting where the fairly steep up-face hits the bottom, so I'm thinking fork fairly compressed already and then getting another, kind of vertical-ish hit) and each time got a little "bzzzzz" or twang as part of it.  Almost like the saddle rails are vibrating (there is some angular slop because of the dropper).

If I could fine some photochromic or color changing glasses for 25 bucks or so, I'd be all over that.

Try Sierra Trading Post - website is jot or miss but I have found serengetti's for under 50 bucks and just picked up bike gear (shorts and jacket together for about 50)

If you see something grab it - it may not be there 30 minutes later

• Like 1

Good idea.  I scored a pair of discontinued Julbo Zebra Lights (transitional amber) in a supposedly MTB frame for a good price.  We shall see.  Reviews indicate they may be on the lighter side, which is probably cool with me because most of my riding is in the shade.

That awesome. My astigmatism is supposedly high enough that only very flat lenses are possible for me and most of the oakley's wrap around too much. What frames do you have?

The Flak iirc. It was the cheapest. All in was like $500. They are amazing though. Bright sun to complete shadow and the contrast is exactly the same. Only downside if you can call it that is it’s trippy for a few minutes when you take them off. It’s like wearing a blue color filter.

Got the Julbo's in today.  Pretty impressed.  They are "Zebra Light" photochromic.  They are pretty clear, but have that kind of red/blue/amber thing that the Prizm Trails have.  Haven't ridden with them, but can wear them "in the dark" and they actually help you see stuff.  They don't get very dark, but still manage to cut glare pretty significantly.  Frame fits pretty well, too, close, but still plenty of room to ventilate.  There are a few models on steep and cheap atm.

This is dumb as hell, but I had a pretty good off-trail ride today.  Because all the trails are submerged, I was trying to think of some place that was at least a paved trail in good woods (there are several) that might offer a little bit of off-road and some kind of challenge.  So it occurred to me that I might get some hill work around Flag Pole Hill, and there's also the White Rock Trail nearby.

Well, what I found was a half-mile climb on the backside of Flag Pole Hill and a corresponding descent kind of on the front side.  Both run along roads, but there's a dirt path next to the road, so it's kind of like singletrack and easier on the old tires and out of traffic.  I think they are actually horse trails, as there are stables nearby.

So the climb was an obvious decent workout, but what I didn't expect was how good the descent was.  It's non-technical, but still a path so you have to look out for roots and ruts and shit and it turns a bit here and there.  Perfect for building confidence for a chickenshit still-noob like me.  Quite a bit longer that most descents on the trails I ride, so good for dropping the saddle, dropping your ass, and seeing how long you can stay off the brakes without having a bunch of off camber, or jumps or bigass rocks to break your head on, or even trees to the side to bash into.  Fun and educational.

Edited by TwiceHorn

• 2 weeks later...

The twins didn’t get their licenses until they were almost 17, which was early August, and I didn’t get around to buying them a car until 2 weeks ago (2009 Ford Escape). The reason for both things happening was my wife has declared that she will never take the boys to MTB practice again. Those start again in a few weeks so after the vehicle they needed a rack because the four-bike tray-style Yak we normally use for race weekends is too damn heavy and their bikes won’t fit in the Escape.

I search around and decided on Kuat Transfer. It’s a two-bike rack that secures the tires instead of the frame. Ordered from REI and got an extra $20 gift card for buying it, in addition to the $30 I’ll get early next year. It arrived today and we assembled it this evening. It was idiot-proof to put together and really well engineered. A Swagman rack that is similar has none of the advantages like being able to tilt down as well as fold up for not much less.

0a53e6d89d961dc0e5ed64eadfcde6df.jpg

After “supervising” the installation, I earned the reward of a big ol’ Boulevardier. Life is good.

a8f1fc10dfc4ed8a7c85a5041519cdb6.jpg

• Like 1

I debated which thread to put this in, road or mountain. We don't have a gravel thread and I doubt it's worth making one unless there's a lot of gravel riders I don't know about.

Went for a great spin Saturday through a local park here with a few miles of gravel/sand trail. A few sand traps and a little elevation makes it interesting. It basically runs dead through a cypress swamp about 100 yards from the ocean. Mid 60's and a steady drizzle made for super comfortable conditions.

20181020-145914.jpg

20181020-150042.jpg

20181020-142056.jpg

20181020-143848.jpg

• Like 1

And the coda to this story. So I'm wheeling home I go to make a right into a neighborhood and as I lean into the turn at pretty decent pace in my front tire insta-flats. Needless to say I hit the deck at 30kph and skid like 50 feet. Thankfully there were no oncoming cars, and it was wet so I just slid easily. Plus I had rain gear on. Burned up my rain jacket, shoes and shoe covers, tweaked my wrist, and left a fantastic bruise on my ass. Otherwise all good. Bike not so much. Derailleur and hanger are fucked, right brake lever buggered.

20181020-154341.jpg

20181020-164107.jpg

20181020-175112.jpg

Wait wut?  They changed the name?  Bastards!

I used to bomb that trail all the time heading down to the beach to go surfing....  It's all fun and games till you run over a snake and sling it up into your frame.

We would race from 64th to the ranger station...  sigh, I do feel old