The Surly Mountain Biking Thread

Braff Zacklin

Happy Thanksgiving from the Driftless!

d8ab68391e3f57486a3fd88aa0d2f77f.jpg

20a1e39924d67438f9ac81bc1bcdb7a6.jpg

Busting out the cold weather gear. First ride in Decorah since we got out of the field. Crushed some tricky grades that usually have me walking a little. Having a 4 month old and not being out until 2AM shitfaced the night before Thanksgiving definitely has its rewards.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Gorgeous February weather in Colorado today (60) following a pretty rough winter last year. Have been able to put away the gravel bike this past week and get some dry single track riding in.

IMG_2245.jpeg

Edited by Bodhi
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

On 3/30/2018 at 1:28 AM, LoneStarBiker said:

In

awtbg3.jpg 

pic above is gone, but I remember.

same spot, 6 years and 3 bikes (for me) later.  time is a non-flat horseshoe (started at the other end) 831ft of climbing over 5 miles.  extra sucky for this old couch potato, after a 20mi ride, yesterday.  trying to get back.

image.thumb.jpeg.00da989cc65010f6ed5ed9a432e8ac3b.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

This wacky winter has me confident I'll be riding my local dirt by Friday afternoon.

Got an NWA trip planned for March.  Going to stay in Eureka Springs and spend a day riding Great Passion Play trails, and another day where I do the whole Back 40 (the original 22 mile loop).  Really excited about that.  Had a trip lined up last year, but my wife got a major promotion and was unable to take time off in that window.  I went to Eureka in the spring of 2021 and loved it.  Can't wait to get back.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/5/2024 at 9:26 AM, Al_4_ISU said:

This wacky winter has me confident I'll be riding my local dirt by Friday afternoon.

Got an NWA trip planned for March.  Going to stay in Eureka Springs and spend a day riding Great Passion Play trails, and another day where I do the whole Back 40 (the original 22 mile loop).  Really excited about that.  Had a trip lined up last year, but my wife got a major promotion and was unable to take time off in that window.  I went to Eureka in the spring of 2021 and loved it.  Can't wait to get back.

Similar plans here later this spring - I have to go to a family-related thing which NWA is on the way to, and my wife can't go, so I took a couple extra days off and plan to camp in Bella Vista and ride for a full day on front and back end of trip.  Can't wait.  

• Hook 'Em 3

You guys who never have to deal with freeze/thaw are lucky.  We have absolutely zero ground moisture thanks to an extended drought, are rocking day time highs in the 50's with 0 snow cover anywhere, and if the temp dips below 32 for a god damn hour, it seems like we get trail wrecking slime for the rest of the day.  You should have been able to ride this entire month, but it hasn't been cold enough to stay froze or warm enough not to freeze at all.  Just getting taunted.

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

You guys who never have to deal with freeze/thaw are lucky.  We have absolutely zero ground moisture thanks to an extended drought, are rocking day time highs in the 50's with 0 snow cover anywhere, and if the temp dips below 32 for a god damn hour, it seems like we get trail wrecking slime for the rest of the day.  You should have been able to ride this entire month, but it hasn't been cold enough to stay froze or warm enough not to freeze at all.  Just getting taunted.

No chance to avoid the slime in the early a.m., like, as soon as the sun is up?

That's what we've gotta do here to squeeze in a ride during the greasy season. However, we've had a fair amount of precip, so it'll just be pavement for at least a couple more weeks.

12 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

No chance to avoid the slime in the early a.m., like, as soon as the sun is up?

That's what we've gotta do here to squeeze in a ride during the greasy season. However, we've had a fair amount of precip, so it'll just be pavement for at least a couple more weeks.

Not during the week.  We’re at a temp point where it turns to slime VERY quickly after sun up and I don’t feel like riding single track in the dark.

When we have highs of like 40 and overnight lows in the low 20’s, you get a nice early AM window 

That sounds similar to our fall riding. Hit the trails after an overnight freeze and the grease will be frozen hard. Linger, however, and you're gonna make a mess out of trail and bike.

Springs are strange, though. I've been told that moisture has to first work its way UP and out of the soil for the singletrack to dry. Otherwise, it will continue to get greasy regardless of wind, sun or temperature. So springtime riding becomes more of a gradual "work your way up" the trails. Depending on conditions and snow pack, this can take weeks or even months.

But I would've expected you to be further along if you're already in the 50s. Is that unusual for you (i.e., was it a very weak, mild winter)?

2 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

That sounds similar to our fall riding. Hit the trails after an overnight freeze and the grease will be frozen hard. Linger, however, and you're gonna make a mess out of trail and bike.

Springs are strange, though. I've been told that moisture has to first work its way UP and out of the soil for the singletrack to dry. Otherwise, it will continue to get greasy regardless of wind, sun or temperature. So springtime riding becomes more of a gradual "work your way up" the trails. Depending on conditions and snow pack, this can take weeks or even months.

But I would've expected you to be further along if you're already in the 50s. Is that unusual for you (i.e., was it a very weak, mild winter)?

I've expected us to be further along too.  Like you pointed out with fall, because the ground was so dry we were actually able to ride through the freeze/thaw until the snow fell.  We didn't get very much, and it was only around for 2-3 weeks, but it's after effects have been surprisingly stubborn.

A few days around 50 isn't unusual in February, but the whole month has had highs between 35 and 55, with more on the warmer end than the cooler.  We've had one day all month with a high below freezing and it was (of course) a Saturday.  This is either going to tie or break the record for warmest February on the Iowa/Minnesota border.

Man it's 77 here right now. Ain't ready for this. And I have a spot of a cold so I am not quite ready for prime time. I did rinse the bike off and add sealant today, though. 

We've also had a good bit of rain, so the trails are still mostly moist. 

Edited by TwiceHorn

Ignore the music.  Im not great at editing.  I'm going to upload a second video here in about 10.
Was in Guatemala and found this ride in Antigua wth Old Town Outfitters.  El Zur Mtn BIke Park.  For $200 they took me there and loaned me a bike and a helmet.  I brought my own shoes and gloves.  My guide Pablo was great.  They take you to the bottom of the volcano then load the bikes onto a 40 year old toyota 4x4 completee with 10 year old kid getting out to lock the hubs.  You ride in the back with the bikes holding on to the rails for dear life.  The ride up was a freaking workout staying in the back.  We almost got stuck several times the road up was steep as shit.  These videos show its a pretty moderate skill level.  The views from the trail when it wasnt covered in trees and brush was amazing. There was one rock wall feature that I would take on at home but not half way down a volcano.  Was not interested in a broken arm two days into an 8 day vacation.  I had a few small crashes turning on some of those right handed switchbacks.  Just ran out of room to the left and in some of those places it was straight down the cliff.  It's about two hours down.  When you get done they have a beer and some sandwiches.   My gopro ran out of power about 3/4 down.  Missed the lower quarter which was probably the best part TBH

IMG_20240226_181112_878.thumb.jpg.419ba1ade0fcacee5491f969ac508e2b.jpgIMG_20240226_181119_052.thumb.jpg.61b3afdeed6e77cafe1eac215892fee5.jpg

Edited by midtown
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

El Nino has affected winter in southeast Idaho in some strange ways. Case in point, our lower trails are usually bone dry by now, but instead, most are still buried in snow. Fortunately, we've hit the lower 50s/upper 60s recently, and I was finally able to get on some dirt today.

Took a fire road until there was too much snow to go any further.

20240319_140921

Then looped back down to town and climbed some singletrack until the risk of mudding up my bike seemed too great.

20240319_143919

Fast forward a week and I imagine all the lower, exposed trails will be rideable.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Drool 1

I'm assuming Bentonville is awesome as everyone says?

It’s great. Possibly a tad overrated, but overrated in the way the Beatles are. When all you hear is how it’s paradise, it’s put on an almost impossible to meet pedestal.

The trails are phenomenal, but something about the town felt a little brittle or like it was fed through a corporate focus group. I prefer Eureka Springs, which is where we’re staying. They have some excellent trails too.
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

So Dallas got it's first in-town new trail in like 20 years. Just south of Tension GC in a large wooded spot right off the existing paved trail network. 

Creekside Trail. 

Huge disappointment. 

Less than a mile of actual trail and green and poor drainage apparently. 

There are green, blue and black "skills areas" that seem to be mostly jump/drop lines. I haven't visited so maybe that's kinda cool, but I am disappoint. 

• Like 1

Sort of a general question. Do you guys make use of "skills areas"? 

There are several trails around town with various types of skills areas. I could use more skillz, but find them kind of boring and I guess I am not really sure what to do with them. I am not particularly interested learning to jump at my age, so those hold little interest. 

Also, any workout aspect (at least half of why I do this) gets repetitive, like running laps or doing sprints. 

There's a pump track at Katie Jackson that I think provides useful skills and is a workout, but it's in the midst of jumps and not well marked or delineated, so you start to get pumping and boom find yourself about to hit a gap jump. 

One thing I would like to do is get more comfortable with drops, but afaik, none of these skills areas have any sort of progression on drops. 

3 hours ago, jw4381 said:

I don’t have access to any, so no for me. 

eh?  Angel Fire is just down the road from you (Taos, right?), and has a progressive drop zone off by itself, so you can session it.

it's also 98% tables tops.  the few gaps are on the double-black trails.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, wd40 said:

eh?  Angel Fire is just down the road from you (Taos, right?), and has a progressive drop zone off by itself, so you can session it.

it's also 98% tables tops.  the few gaps are on the double-black trails.

Well shit, I stand corrected quite bigly. I guess I was thinking of a different type of thing. That's a bad ass video.

Edited by jw4381

wrist is still not 100% (see skateboarding thread).  hit the greenbelt with the boys, this am.  

image.gif.8e47108527040eb48c7e13101038b791.gif

the pucker factor on the first drop in this video was huge for me, today.  after getting that out of the way, it was all good times.  10.5 miles and >1200ft of climbing.  not bad for only my second ride after a month off.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

On 11/18/2023 at 1:56 PM, Your Mom said:

Nice!  Where in Moab is that?  I know your earlier post showed Island In the Sky.  Is this the same place?  Is that up near Dead Horse State Park?  

Capt Ahab is my favorite trail out there. It’s big chunky workout but very rewarding.  

I just now saw your post. That’s the drop in to White Rim Road. 

Beautiful weather today. Went north to some trails I’ve only ridden a couple of times. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)

Spent a day in Bentonville last week.  The new Castle Hub downhill park on the north end of Slaughter Pen network (up against I-49) was really cool.  Also did the in-town greens and blues, as well as a couple loops at Blowing Springs and trails at Devil's Den State Park (an hour south of Bville, but highly worth a visit, especially for camping/cabining.  

(first photo by creek is Devil's Den; the rest are in Bentonville.)

bville5.jpg

bville4.jpg

bville3.jpg

bville2.jpg

bville1.jpg

Edited by sasquatch69
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

In March of this year my company announced a reorg.  It was our 2nd in 12 months and 3rd in 48  We were also on our 3rd president in three years.  They shut down the function I led and asked me to lead another group which didn't interest me.  I countered and asked them what a severance package would look like.  As of March 29th, I am being paid by this employer not to work for 6 months.

I live in the foothills of the Rockies in Colorado and the weather is starting to get great.  I am going to take the spring/summer to bike, hike 14ers, camp as much as possible.  I signed up for two 50+ mile mtb/gravel races to provide some training goals.  The plan is to ride 4 to 5 times a week and see how much I can develop over the next 4 months.  Rode 4x this week logging ~100 miles between gravel and single track.  Also, since I imagine this will be my only work sabbatical before retirement, I decided I should do it right and I am on a waitlist for a new gravel bike with electronic shifting (first for me).

Apologies in advance, but you may have to stare at a few not ugly photos in the upcoming months.  

IMG_2357.jpg

IMG_2362.jpg

IMG_2364.jpg

Edited by Bodhi
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Which variant of e-shifting? My best riding buddy converted his GX to AXS and seems pleased. 

The engineer in me is intrigued by Transmission. On the other hand, I am currently rocking Deore and quite pleased with it.  Unless my bike gets stolen again, I can't see myself adopting any e-shifting, unless it's a Sramano deal, which I do understand works just fine (GX AXS with Shimano cassette). 

10 hours ago, Bodhi said:

In March of this year my company announced a reorg.  It was our 2nd in 12 months and 3rd in 48  We were also on our 3rd president in three years.  They shut down the function I led and asked me to lead another group which didn't interest me.  I countered and asked them what a severance package would look like.  As of March 29th, I am being paid by this employer not to work for 6 months.

I live in the foothills of the Rockies in Colorado and the weather is starting to get great.  I am going to take the spring/summer to bike, hike 14ers, camp as much as possible.  I signed up for two 50+ mile mtb/gravel races to provide some training goals.  The plan is to ride 4 to 5 times a week and see how much I can develop over the next 4 months.  Rode 4x this week logging ~100 miles between gravel and single track.  Also, since I imagine this will be my only work sabbatical before retirement, I decided I should do it right and I am on a waitlist for a new gravel bike with electronic shifting (first for me).

Apologies in advance, but you may have to stare at a few not ugly photos in the upcoming months.  

IMG_2357.jpg

IMG_2362.jpg

IMG_2364.jpg

Well if you need a riding buddy this summer I'm moving to Colorado.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Which variant of e-shifting? My best riding buddy converted his GX to AXS and seems pleased. 

The engineer in me is intrigued by Transmission. On the other hand, I am currently rocking Deore and quite pleased with it.  Unless my bike gets stolen again, I can't see myself adopting any e-shifting, unless it's a Sramano deal, which I do understand works just fine (GX AXS with Shimano cassette). 

SRAM AXS.  I rode a friends gravel bike with electronic shifting and it was pretty slick.  It's not necessary for me nor will it make me a better rider, but a lot of manufacturers are only including that in their higher end models now.  I don't plan on upgrading my MTB with it but I will enjoy it on my gravel.

3 hours ago, EastHorn said:

Well if you need a riding buddy this summer I'm moving to Colorado.  

Any time.  I live in North Boulder and ride the front range between Lyons and Morrison typically.  

Just make sure to tell everyone how awful it is in CO after you move here :)

Edited by Bodhi
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Bodhi said:

SRAM AXS.  I rode a friends gravel bike with electronic shifting and it was pretty slick.  It's not necessary for me nor will it make me a better rider, but a lot of manufacturers are only including that in their higher end models now.  I don't plan on upgrading my MTB with it but I will enjoy it on my gravel.

Any time.  I live in North Boulder and ride the front range between Lyons and Morrison typically.  

Just make sure to tell everyone how awful it is in CO after you move here :)

Nice I've done some road riding and racing there in the past.  Deer Creek Canyon is one I am looking to reconnect with.  

• Hook 'Em 1