The Surly Mountain Biking Thread

Braff Zacklin

First ride of the season is in the books.

What a great fucking ride. My usual single track spot got some rain this AM, so I drove over to Yellow River State Forest. I’ve posted pics from there before. It’s a mix of forest roads and multi use trails. The horses haven’t been on yet this year, so everything was in great shape. I was stunned by how quickly I was back in the saddle. Rode much stronger than I expected, and was able to hammer the downhills better than last year.

I matched my longest ride of last year and was on cloud 9. The sun came out, and it warmed up to 70 or so. Just fucking perfect.

So I have to pass my usual single track spot on the way home, and I get a hair up my ass to tackle a loop. So I’m leaning into it, and despite my fatigue am riding at a higher level than ever before. Ripping through the trees, nailing my drops into quick climbs, enjoying the flow.

Then this happened 56a73b6d5ecd538728c9763589c0382a.jpg

So I had to walk about 1.5 miles back to my car, and carry the damn bike out.

Fuck it, what a great day.

• Like 1

Nice pics and story, Al. You're already in the 70s? We've nudged 60 ... twice ... otherwise, it's still cold and gray here, but things are melting and drying out quickly.
Hit a log, did you?

We’re at 70 according to my wife’s car. But in typical Iowa fashion we’re gonna be back in the 40’s next week.

I think I caught a stick laying out into the trail. Honestly not sure. Just all of a sudden I wasn’t moving and the tranny was severed

It's been known to happen: back tire catches a stick, and sucks it up until it snaps spokes or the hanger. Been fortunate enough to avoid this myself, but I've a friend who I swear is a magnet for such incidents. He seems to tear off a derailleur every other year.

On that note, time for my pedal.

• Like 1

It's been known to happen: back tire catches a stick, and sucks it up until it snaps spokes or the hanger. Been fortunate enough to avoid this myself, but I've a friend who I swear is a magnet for such incidents. He seems to tear off a derailleur every other year.
On that note, time for my pedal.

Glad to know I’m not the only dipshit destroying their bike

You are no dipshit, sir. Mountain bikes are simply wear-and-tear items, with the components breaking down at variable rates.

I believed the 70 degrees. Apologies if it sounded otherwise. Was merely surprised you had warmed up that quickly.

Here's are two views from the top of today's climb, one facing toward the mountain, the other back toward town. And, yes, those are moose droppings (aka Milk Duds) under my bike.

20190406-162922-Sharped.jpg

20190406-162938-Sharped.jpg

• Like 2

You are no dipshit, sir. Mountain bikes are simply wear-and-tear items, with the components breaking down at variable rates.
I believed the 70 degrees. Apologies if it sounded otherwise. Was merely surprised you had warmed up that quickly.
Here's are two views from the top of today's climb, one facing toward the mountain, the other back toward town. And, yes, those are moose droppings (aka Milk Duds) under my bike.

I needed confirmation of the 70 degrees after our February from hell.

Killer pics dude

Today topped 63 or 64 degrees--our warmest so far--so I went for my longest (and hardest) ride of the year. It was also my first day in short sleeves.

Ho Lee Fook. Those 20-25 pounds of winter weight were sure fun to put on, but they aren't much fun to drag up and and down a mountain. I'm Christmas on a bike.

On the bright side, got to spend nearly three hours on singletrack. But with much rain on the horizon (plus snow on Thursday) and temps returning to the upper 40s, I might not see dirt again until Friday. This has been the most stubborn winter ever.

• Like 1

On 4/6/2019 at 6:40 PM, Braff Zacklin said:

Yeah shit just happens.  I picked up a stick and broke my hanger and had an un-fun walkout.

I have learned a) to avoid sticks, if possible (you kind of develop a feel for the ones that are going to flip up into your spokes) and b) not to pedal through if you pick one up.

DId your freehub get fuct up too?

Edited by TwiceHorn

sticks?  Wait till you sling a snake up into your frame.

I have never bent a derailer or snapped a hanger...so I have that going for me though.

I almost hit a rattlesnake with my road bike, thinking it was a stick, avoiding it last second, but the damn thing still lunged.

Yeah shit just happens.  I picked up a stick and broke my hanger and had an un-fun walkout.
I have learned a) to avoid sticks, if possible (you kind of develop a feel for the ones that are going to flip up into your spokes) and b) not to pedal through if you pick one up.
DId your freehub get fuct up too?

Free hub looks ok. I quit fucking around before that took on damage

43 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Free hub looks ok. I quit fucking around before that took on damage

I was wondering because you said you carried it out, implying that the back wheel wasn't freewheeling. Or maybe the der is about to fly into the spokes. Also, pro tip although probably not a big deal, you may want to turn your quick release lever upward.  Theoretically could catch on something turned down like that.

• Like 1

I was wondering because you said you carried it out, implying that the back wheel wasn't freewheeling. Or maybe the der is about to fly into the spokes. Also, pro tip although probably not a big deal, you may want to turn your quick release lever upward.  Theoretically could catch on something turned down like that.

The derailer is sitting between spokes, catching when I tried to roll it.

I think the wheel would roll if I extracted it, but I’m not tearing into it any farther lest I cause more damage.

I’ll definitely pay attention to where the quick release is set going forward. Any little trick to minimize brush gathering.

I'm about six rides down since resuming last week, including two on pretty flat singletrack.  I'm being pretty careful, because that two-finger grip on the left scares me a bit.  I am afraid I'm going to try to lift my wheel over something without thinking and just let go, not to mention any landings off things. 

Strange thing, my speed is still pretty good, but my hill climbing is, of course, horribad.  It may be that staying off the short climbs and corresponding descents and drops is letting me just book it a little more than usual.

• Like 1

On 4/6/2019 at 2:21 PM, Al_4_ISU said:

I was stunned by how quickly I was back in the saddle. Rode much stronger than I expected, and was able to hammer the downhills better than last year.

2 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Strange thing, my speed is still pretty good, but my hill climbing is, of course, horribad.  It may be that staying off the short climbs and corresponding descents and drops is letting me just book it a little more than usual.

One thing I've observed over the 14 seasons I've been riding singletrack is there's always some carryover of skill or technique from year to year. Even in the springs when I'm overweight and underfit (like now), I find I can still tackle technical challenges a little better than I have under similar conditions in the past. And that's encouraging. #aggymoralvictory

(Hey, when the entirety of one's splits are in the red, one needs all the positive reinforcement one can get!)

Idaho update: original forecasts for today called for a mix of rain and snow, yet it's been dry and sunny all day, so I took off on my hardtail for another 3-hour tour. Distance, elevation, and speed were comparable to Monday's ride, but it wasn't quite as taxing. After spending three of the past four days on pavement, it was a pleasure to be on dirt.

Here's a pic from as high as conditions allowed me to climb--this is the same trail shown a few days ago, but about a half-mile further up.

20190411-125933-Sharped.jpg

• Like 2

I have a weird thing going on.  On occasion, when I come pretty close to bottoming my suspension, I get a short, buzzy noise or feeling.  Previously it happened at only one place, a creek crossing with a very steep drop in, particularly as you reach the bottom. and more recently during my flat riding, when I was pumping some little rollers pretty good.

I don't think I am actually bottoming my shock, because the o-ring stays above the bottom and it isn't a harsh BUMP.  On the creek crossing, I think what happens is basically my back wheel drops off the drop and hits the bottom fairly hard with my weight over it.  I was surprised that I could generate the feeling just pumping rollers. but I was loading and unloading it pretty good at one point.

I have a theory as to what it is though.  My bike came with reflectors.  I have left them on there for shits and giggles.The rear reflector is mounted on the seat post and hangs down into what is probably the area of travel of my rear wheel.  I think the back tire is "buzzing" the reflector at large travel.  I have removed the reflector.

The noise/vibration feels "plasticky" as opposed to metallic, so I think this is a reasonable candidate.  I dont see any evidence of any other contact (tire rub on chain or seat stays, for example).

Anyone ever had something like this happen?

10 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Have you ridden the same trail since removing the reflector?

No.  I wont be ready to hit the creek crossing that does it every time for at least a month, physically, psychologically God knows when.  It rained over the weekend, so I won't hit the roller trail for a while either and I'm not sure I could reliably reproduce it on that anyway.  On the one I did it on, I almost launched (not something I'm ready for with the two-finger grip), so I'm not sure I'll pump as robustly again, either.

The other candidates would seem to be the fork or the saddle.  I think, though, it comes from the rear.

Edited by TwiceHorn

Lordy had an awful ride yesterday.  First, wasn't feeling "strong," but kind of forced myself to go out for the exercise.  Second, went to a trail I had never been to before.  Third, it was a cloudy day, which I thought would be a plus, but wound up being humid and still and just fucking nasty.  Fourth, the trail had a lot of uphill that I'm just not in shape for currently, and made much worse by the first and third factors.

Finally, and this was unusual, this trail had a lot of deeply cut in singletrack.  Meaning the trail itself was a deep "rut," and it was difficult to pedal in a lot of sections.  I have experienced this in short sections, but not hundreds of yards.  One solution is to maintain some speed and ratchet, but I was disinclined to do that on a new trail.  And God help you if you got turned around and had to pedal up one of those sections.  And, worst of all, pedaling wasn't just difficult, but a pedal strike could send you offline, meaning up the sidewall of the trail and out or back down, super disconcerting.

Edited by TwiceHorn

Can confirm that climbing without a light breeze in your face absolutely sucks. Ambient air temp can be a mellow 75 degrees, but if there's no contrary wind while you're climbing and the sun is beating down on you, it feels like an oven.

How deep and wide are these ruts? There's definitely a technique to navigating them, but if they are super deep and narrow, there's not much you can do outside of carrying momentum and ratcheting, as you noted.

Our singletrack is lightly scalloped in a lot of places and pretty badly in some. My skillset was extremely poor when I first started, and I was scraping and bumping into everything, which is why I boast that I "ride by Braille." That rut ahead? Yup, I'll fall into it. That rock over there? Sure, I'll lose most of my momentum slamming into it. That protruding tree branch? Hey, no problem, I'll impale my arm on it. Skills gradually improved but are still relatively mediocre.

Not implying that any of this applies to you. Just reminiscing.

Incidentally, our weather lately has been fantastic, and all local trails are dry and rideable. I believe last Thursday was only our fifth or sixth day of the year above 60, but we hit 75 on Friday and 70 on Saturday. Probably going to be a short, slingshot spring, where we go from mid 50s to mid 80s in about a month. Still, I'll take it--those 40- and 50-degree days wore out their welcome.

Will try to take some pictures later in the week. Planning for a longish ride on Thursday, legs willing. Rode too much last Thursday, got sunburned, and bonked. But that's what happens when you're in substandard shape and everything opens up at once.

How is everyone else riding?

I dunno 18 inches. Pretty consistently deep and maybe 2 feet wide? Never seen anything quite like it on other trails except in spots. This was getting fairly far northwest Frisco way the hell out, which is towards the grasslands. The grass grew up right next to the big rut, keeping it from eroding out, I guess. 

After I get into better shape and firmed up physically where I can keep a firm grip on the bars and not fear drops and big bumps so much I will give it another go. In the fall. Going to a new trail in these circumstances was a mistake probably. 

FWIW, Twice, I felt like absolute dogshit yesterday even though I was well rested and the route was relatively short and easy. I've even been scaling back each day, trying to avoid redlining, in hopes of feeling strong all week. And yesterday still sucked.

On the bright side, today was amazing. Legs felt fresh and the weather was perfect, so I managed to work in my most challenging ride of the year to date. I had a smile on my face from start to finish.

Below are some pics--I've put them in a spoiler tag to avoid longcatting this page.

Spoiler

View looking west from a saddle near the top of today's climb.

20190425-154237-Sharped.jpg

The rest of the pics were taken at the very top of the climb, some 1,700 feet above town. Spring came late this year--I'm normally on this trail three weeks sooner, yet I still had to pack my bike from the maples at the bottom left up to where the trail meets the snow drift.

20190425-155753-Sharped.jpg

Facing east, toward town and across the valley.

20190425-155805-Sharped.jpg

Facing west, back toward the bowl that forms the City Creek drainage.

20190425-155818-Sharped.jpg

Another shot looking east across the valley.

20190425-155906-Sharped.jpg

It was a great fucking day. Wish my legs and lungs were in better shape, but they're getting there.

• Like 2

Very nice.  One weird thing is I had asthma (of an allergic origin I believe) as a kid.  It gives me this strange claustrophobia, where being winded is unusually uncomfortable, and most especially if there is any "close in" aspect, like the woods.  You can stick me in a box, no claustrophobia, but put me in there breathing hard and I probably freak out.

Road climbs don't tend to provoke it, but in the woods sometimes can.  I bet that wide open mountainside would be nice for avoiding the problem.

Anyway, here is a section of that trail I was complaining about:

NECommunity4-lg.jpg

I don't know about that specific section, but it looks like it's just the grass growing right up to the trail that makes it look deep.  In many cases, it's not.  In a couple of cases it made it look like there might be some cool, shallow-berm turns, but not really, the rut was deep enough to come pretty close to catching the inside, high pedal.

Certainly not impossible to ride, but a new skillset for sure.

• Like 1

I can empathize. When our scallops get overgrown in early summer, they are much harder to ride--at least for me--because the edges/margins become indistinct and I can't read them as well.

Regarding your asthma, any chance it is EIB (exercise-induced bronchospasm)? I've dealt with EIB my entire life, but it virtually disappears the more I exercise with the exception that I can't breathe through my nose once the heart is really pumping.

Nice setting, by the way. Enjoy everyone's pics as there is something about seeing a new trail that immediately makes you want to be on it.

2 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

I can empathize. When our scallops get overgrown in early summer, they are much harder to ride--at least for me--because the edges/margins become indistinct and I can't read them as well.

Regarding your asthma, any chance it is EIB (exercise-induced bronchospasm)? I've dealt with EIB my entire life, but it virtually disappears the more I exercise with the exception that I can't breathe through my nose once the heart is really pumping.

Nice setting, by the way. Enjoy everyone's pics as there is something about seeing a new trail that immediately makes you want to be on it.

Some element of that, yes, because running in the cold caused it.  Also playing basketball, but in a moldy, dusty gym.  And yeah, I tend to be a mouth-breather under load.  And I guess the fact that I exercise more regularly than I did as a kid, at higher heart rate, probably has something to do with "outgrowing it."  The last attack I remember was playing basketball in high school.

Trails through a field like that are fairly rare here in the Metroplex, as far as I know anyway, I haven't ridden them all.  But the "skinny" on that trail is that it's not shady and therefore hot.  You'll see 50 or maybe 100 yards of that here and there, but most of them are mostly in the woods.

Got rained out of the field yesterday and squeezed a ride in.

It was a solid ride, but with the slick dirt, roots, and limestone slabs I was very cautious on descents.

I’ve found myself being cautious in general. We have enough rough rock that I really make a point of not dumping it and slowly taking on faster descents. I’m sure I sound like I’m justifying being a pussy, but I just don’t have time to lose to a preventable injury. We lose 3 months to weather, and I lose 3 of our best months to work. That gives me a solid 6 months to ride in a year, and I just don’t want to spend it in a sling.

• Like 2

Anyone got any tips for negotiating hairpin switchbacks on a steep descent?  I pretty much have to dismount if a switch back is going to my right, or I'll just completely dump.  Don't really have a natural feel for taking it on.  Going to my left isn't bad, but the right is a whole different story.

Great ride tonight.  Mixed in a few new trails and added some more big climbs.

If you havent noticed, there are a bunch of skills videos on youtube.  Most of them are pretty good.  GMBN has a bunch.  A couple of my favorites are Seths Bike Hacks and Skills With Phil.

Phil Kmetz is a pretty talented pro biker, but his videos speak to me for some reason. 

• Like 1

I just got a new dropper post.  My old Reverb one was busted beyond repair.  The bike mechanic said the newer Reverbs were designed better but I went with the Bike Yoke dropper based on nothing more than reviews on MTBR.  My old one was a push-button, this one is a thumb trigger.  Already liking it much better.  I was all set to beat the rain today in Austin but that didn't happen.  Probably won't get to try it out until next week now.  

• Like 1

Very nice.  One weird thing is I had asthma (of an allergic origin I believe) as a kid.  It gives me this strange claustrophobia, where being winded is unusually uncomfortable, and most especially if there is any "close in" aspect, like the woods.  You can stick me in a box, no claustrophobia, but put me in there breathing hard and I probably freak out.
Road climbs don't tend to provoke it, but in the woods sometimes can.  I bet that wide open mountainside would be nice for avoiding the problem.
Anyway, here is a section of that trail I was complaining about:
NECommunity4-lg.jpg
I don't know about that specific section, but it looks like it's just the grass growing right up to the trail that makes it look deep.  In many cases, it's not.  In a couple of cases it made it look like there might be some cool, shallow-berm turns, but not really, the rut was deep enough to come pretty close to catching the inside, high pedal.
Certainly not impossible to ride, but a new skillset for sure.

I believe Frisco sold that piece of land to the PGA so the trail is not gonna be around much longer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

No trail rides this week because they are all submerged apparently, but after confronting my fitness in Frisco, had some oddly satisfying road rides.  I made sure and do hills, both short and steep and long and not so.  Also made sure I spun fast fast.  Probably another week of them, so hopefully it pays off a little on the trails.

I had a free afternoon in Salt Lake City today. Couldn’t have been a more perfect day. Temps in the mid 60s. Rented a bike and did a 10 mile loop with 1300 feet of climbing. 1:20 up Bonneville Shoreline and 8 minutes down Bobsled.
7010c8d22eb11bc6d5026c6156ff5c51.jpg24ca3d1c06f33f947f8b4f54e625eade.jpgefa139de53399a378f960e62ddb4967a.jpg7779f70c37bffef64fedd318b456ca37.jpg3d8ff7b1eb43c4c7f92c2dd1ee18d82b.jpgcef4a1e6c5c558d1267e307e3eba8b53.jpg00d90bc3a970ae575c1c1c4bf83683cb.jpgbb955274ebd4ebe9671f4c18044353b1.jpg2820948271c578c26525f5d57b06aec4.jpg2bb2ffc3b34ee219c4713428e58e4fd6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 5

No.  I live in Austin and this thoroughly kicked my ass today. But it was worth it for the descent. Those high banked turns were so much fun and there was a jump at the bottom of everyone of them. Most of them had the option of something really high and insane, something smallish, or just a smooth bailout line.  There are five or six old cars down there that they have built jumps over the top of. One of them is behind my bike in one of those pics.  I wish I could tell you I hit those jumps... but no. Still, it was a bitch going up and a blast coming down. 

Edited by Your Mom

So many great pics from you guys this spring ... except KuЯdt.

Dude ain't pulling his weight. Somebody make it quit raining wherever he lives so he can hit the trails and show off, damnit.

On a more serious note, I'm having a tough time losing weight this year. Fugging sucks lugging 20-30 pounds of extraneous flab up a 6-mile climb. Maybe I am getting old. Or maybe I should lay off the cheeseburgers.

Either way, I blame Bag o' Dicks Bob Stoops. OU sucks.

On 4/26/2019 at 8:47 PM, TwiceHorn said:

Some element of that, yes, because running in the cold caused it.  Also playing basketball, but in a moldy, dusty gym.  And yeah, I tend to be a mouth-breather under load.  And I guess the fact that I exercise more regularly than I did as a kid, at higher heart rate, probably has something to do with "outgrowing it."  The last attack I remember was playing basketball in high school.

Trails through a field like that are fairly rare here in the Metroplex, as far as I know anyway, I haven't ridden them all.  But the "skinny" on that trail is that it's not shady and therefore hot.  You'll see 50 or maybe 100 yards of that here and there, but most of them are mostly in the woods.

Confirmed Asthma sucks.   I was pretty bad as a kid, had to carry an inhaler pretty much everywhere.  Exercise, temperature, allergies would all set these off.  I've spent nights in my parents garage sucking oxygen from a welding rig my dad had.

You old enough to remember Asthma Powder that you burned and inhaled?  Pass the snake oil

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRNqxNOwtSTjKRZ2A9zIMu

The up shot is that when you are clear, you've got a lot better set of lungs than you average dude.  I think mostly because the muscles in your core are stronger from assisting in labored breathing.   That's why after a bad attack the muscles in you back can ache.

back to tips...  this kind of funny but I think is great advice 

• Like 1