Braff Zacklin

The Surly Mountain Biking Thread

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

Also, oddball thing.  On a fair number of rides, on different trails, I encounter a kind of musty home smell.  Not unpleasant, but smells like your grandmother's house, kinda.  It's not something you expect to encounter outdoors on a trail.  I think it might be the smell of other riders or trail users' clothes.  Maybe piles of decomposing leaves/plant matter have a similar smell, I don't know.

OdL6uDm.jpg

2 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Nearly perfect ride today.  Sixties, clear, hero dirt everywhere.

Yes, I had the same experience today.  Got out for my first decent ride in a couple of weeks and went to Pedernales Falls.  With the rain we got this past week it was absolute hero dirt out there.  Hero weather too.  Supposed to be continued nice weather this week and I have vacation days I need to burn by the end of the yea,r so I think I'll take a day or 2 and ride.  

Nearly perfect ride today.  Sixties, clear, hero dirt everywhere.

dp

Edited by KuЯdt

Broke a rear drive side spoke today.  The head fell off.  Pretty sure I caught it right after it happened.  Wheel appeared to be still pretty true, but I took it to a shop to have em replace the spoke and look it over.  

There was a time, in the days of Schwinn steel rims, that I monkeyed with spokes fearlessly.  I no longer do so.

Hope I'm not in for a string of busted spokes and a new wheel or rebuilt one.

Hope I'm not in for a string of busted spokes and a new wheel or rebuilt one.

Should be good unless you're using an ammonia-based sealant combined with aluminum nipples.

Ammonia's been removed from most brands that I'm aware of. Stan's used to have it, and a local shop that repaired a broken spoke cut corners with the tape job (lifted old tape up, replaced broken nipple, and slapped tape back down instead of taking a couple of extra minutes to retape the wheel), which led to a poor seal and many more broken spokes. They'd snap simply from the torque of acceleration.

I don't use that shop anymore.

There have been a lot of sticks on the trails lately, along with the leaves.  I might bet that I tweaked that spoke with a stick and it gave today.

12 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Should be good unless you're using an ammonia-based sealant combined with aluminum nipples.

Ammonia's been removed from most brands that I'm aware of. Stan's used to have it, and a local shop that repaired a broken spoke cut corners with the tape job (lifted old tape up, replaced broken nipple, and slapped tape back down instead of taking a couple of extra minutes to retape the wheel), which led to a poor seal and many more broken spokes. They'd snap simply from the torque of acceleration.

I don't use that shop anymore.

spacer.png

I switched to brass nipples after my second Al one broke.  didn't even know I had Al nipples on the (OEM) rim until I got the first one fixed.  this was before I went tubeless.  I'll never understand weight weenies, at least.

2x, if I'm reading you right, you should be able to replace the spoke without even popping the tire bead.  just gotta clamp that nipple so it doesn't slip into the rim when you unscrew it from the spoke.  agree with Braff, the wheel should be fine, short a spoke.  just twist it around a neighbor and ride until you can get a replacement, (which is probably a trip to the LBS anyway, unless you have extras around).

if you decide to replace it yourself, don't use blue loctite.  use the pink, or use real spoke prep (LBS can dip spokes for you, which is what I do when I'm fixin to build one, since it goes bad in the jar much faster than my wheel build frequency).

so...enjoy your trip to the bike shop.

There's a store I go to (dallasbikeworks) that has a 50-60 year old dude running the shop, in addition to the 20 something slackers.  I trust them pretty well, especially with wheels.

They fixed it this afternoon, I'll pick it up in the morning.  Their fees are always reasonable.  

I don't remember what it was exactly that I hit, something minor, like a root or rock that I caught with the rear wheel and it popped up pretty hard and smacked me good in the ass.  When I got into smooth again, it was making a slight tinking noise so I stopped and the first spoke I grabbed to squeeze was the busted one.  Since it broke at the head it wasn't really flying around, so I rode slowly back to the trailhead.

Two things made me think maybe I had a damaged rim.  Once, on the same trail, I burped the rear tire so it went flat almost immediately and I was bopping down some limestone when it happened, but I think the tire protected for the 50 yards or so I rode on it.  I wound up changing that tire entirely and didn't eyeball anything wrong with the rim, but sometimes that eludes eyeballs.  And then my grand underpressure experiment.  I don't think I ever hit real hard while doing that, but again you never know.

Anyway, I'm thinking it was a stick.  I had to stop several times pretty quick over the last few rides because of shit in the rear wheel/chain and I didn't want to bust a der or hanger.  Drivetrain survived, but I didn't think of damage to spokes.

Id kind of like to try building a wheel sometime just to kind of get a feel for it somewhere with a proper truing stand and spoke tension meter.  As it stands, I'm kind of afraid to take a spoke wrench to an aluminum wheel.  I can just see myself getting into a do-loop of truing:  too much, no not enough, rinse, repeat, FUCK!  Probably not that dangerous with one spoke, but still.