The Surly Mountain Biking Thread

Braff Zacklin

Dig your color scheme.  My bike is blue with some neon green/yellow.  Which is of no consequence, except that by sheerest coincidence, I have found myself with the same colors in clothes and stuff.  Blue I guess is my favorite color, like most people, I have a lot of blue clothes.  But I also have a drifit-type tshirt acquired months or years before the bike that is about the same shade of yellow green.  I picked up some Fox Ranger riding shorts on sale that happen to be about the same color, also.  The only color they had my size in.

And then I almost pulled the trigger on these, on sale, in my size and only in this color:

fiveten16_5252_01.jpg

But I came to the realization that I was acquiring entirely too much shit that was matchy-matchy.  I still havent seen quite as good a deal on freeriders since.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Thanks. I'm on the other end of the state, in southeast Idaho.

The whole region is littered with wonderful trails. Boise and SLC have extensive networks of singletrack, but they can get surprisingly crowded. If you're more into the downhill aspect (or worried about the climbs), there are several locations with lift-serviced runs (most ski resorts offer them). A few bike/terrain parks are scattered around, such as the one in Teton Village near Jackson Hole.

However, if you just want to put in the miles--up and down--I'd be more than happy to guide you on our local trails. We have a few hundred miles worth, most of which is accessible/ride-able to intermediate cyclists.

I'll extend that offer to anyone on Surly--WD, Twice, Al, G650, etc. I love our trails and think y'all would, too.

Based on your pics, I see a lot of appeal in your trails.  Long steady climbs, wide open views, etc.

Gonna run (jog) a loop on my regular trails tonight.  Should give me a good idea of how far along things are.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

10 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Dig your color scheme.  My bike is blue with some neon green/yellow.  Which is of no consequence, except that by sheerest coincidence, I have found myself with the same colors in clothes and stuff.  Blue I guess is my favorite color, like most people, I have a lot of blue clothes.  But I also have a drifit-type tshirt acquired months or years before the bike that is about the same shade of yellow green.  I picked up some Fox Ranger riding shorts on sale that happen to be about the same color, also.  The only color they had my size in.

And then I almost pulled the trigger on these, on sale, in my size and only in this color:

But I came to the realization that I was acquiring entirely too much shit that was matchy-matchy.  I still havent seen quite as good a deal on freeriders since.

I think everyone, at least on some level, tries to be matchy-matchy. Funny thing is, I'm more concerned with what goes on my bike that on me. Considering hows much time and money we spend on them, they are metaphorical girlfriends.

Dig the Freeriders. Picked up some Impacts for a steal six years ago. They are overkill--much heavier and stiffer than necessary. Every year, I vow to snag a pair of Freeriders but end up weaseling out of it. Again, if it were for the bike, I'd have done it ages ago.

12 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

I think everyone, at least on some level, tries to be matchy-matchy. Funny thing is, I'm more concerned with what goes on my bike that on me. Considering hows much time and money we spend on them, they are metaphorical girlfriends.

Dig the Freeriders. Picked up some Impacts for a steal six years ago. They are overkill--much heavier and stiffer than necessary. Every year, I vow to snag a pair of Freeriders but end up weaseling out of it. Again, if it were for the bike, I'd have done it ages ago.

I have a pair of pretty flat soled trail runners that rely on transverse ridges for traction in dirt rather than a bunch of lugs.  They make pretty good biking shoes from a traction standpoint.  They could be stiffer and offer more toe protection though.

I got my bike at Performance on triple points weekend so got a substantial credit for gear/accessories.  I was holding back $100 of it for some freeriders at some point, but their bankruptcy torched my points.  It's a low priority now that I'm recovering.  I don't think I will be doing much riding requiring great stick or protection in the near future.

And yeah, I won't give anyone grief over being color-coordinated on their bike.  It's just that one day I threw on those Fox shorts, a base layer, and a navy blue fleece, and as I was leaving my wife starts giving me gentle grief about being matchy-matchy. I was really not giving it the slightest thought at the time, but became pretty conscious of it after.  My wife gently teases me about my hobbies, bikes and airgun shooting, because of the juvenile nature of both.

Edited by TwiceHorn

30 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Based on your pics, I see a lot of appeal in your trails.  Long steady climbs, wide open views, etc.

Gonna run (jog) a loop on my regular trails tonight.  Should give me a good idea of how far along things are.

Our lowest trails are absolutely as you described--long, steady climbs with wide-open views. But once you get above the benches (the scarp-like formations leading up to the foothills on either side of the valley) or into the trees, they become something more.

I'm tempted to post more pics but don't wanna bogart the thread.

EDIT: If it's not too much trouble, and if there's enough light, would love to see some pics from your jog.

Edited by Braff Zacklin
  • Like 1

Just now, Braff Zacklin said:

Our lowest trails are absolutely as you described--long, steady climbs with wide-open views. But once you get above the benches (the scarp-like formations leading up to the foothills on either side of the valley) or into the trees, they become something more.

I'm tempted to post more pics but don't wanna bogart the thread.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I enjoy all the pics/video.  

• Like 1

Picked up a Yeti SB5+ a month ago. 3rd ride on the bike at Brushy Creek my front washed out and my right side love handle area smacked a tree. Pretty gnarly bruise there currently. Bike is ok though.

The bike:

2gvoi7a.jpg

The bruise:

nmxmow.jpg

• Like 3

Spring is full of contrasts. Once dry and buffed in, trail conditions are at their peak, but we the riders tend to be at our worst.

Right now, everything is dull and dingy, but by May, the trails will be bursting with color. A side hobby of mine is photographing and identifying our local flora.

WP-20160505-Over-the-Top-Balsamroot-1.jp

05-16-13-Over-the-Top-Arrowleaf-Balsamro

05-23-13-Sullivans-Skyrocket-SM.jpg

05-30-13-Switchback-Mules-Ear-1-SM.jpg

05-24-13-North-Fork-Arrowleaf-Balsamroot

05-16-13-Over-the-Top-Beardtongue-1.jpg

• Like 4

That looks like about my perfect trail, just enough up and down that you aren't lungbusting or breaking your collarbone, and aren't sitting and pedaling the whole time.  Flowy, in the woods and hero dirt.

As kind of indicated above, our trails are either flat as a board with some sharp fast ups and downs or hateful slogs up and a straight, fast down.  I don't find steep straight downs particularly fun and now they downright frighten me a little.

Edited by TwiceHorn

@Al_4_ISU I would've never guessed that is Iowa, Al. Am out of rep for the moment but will be back soon, armed and ready.

@mcbrisket Thanks. All of those pictures were taken from the trail network that begins less than a quarter mile from my back door. The maple leaves are magical--predominantly pink and red but also green, orange, and yellow. I call it riding on Fruity Pebbles.

Edited by Braff Zacklin

Just now, TwiceHorn said:

That looks like about my perfect trail, just enough up and down that you aren't lungbusting or breaking your collarbone, and aren't sitting and pedaling the whole time.  Flowy, in the woods and hero dirt.

It's a lot of fun.  The old TV and toilet always crack me up.

You can't see it in the video due to the foliage, but it's in a rugged little gorge with limestone walls.  I'll try to hook the GoPro to my helmet and get some video and pics before the leaves pop.

Just now, Braff Zacklin said:

@Al_4_ISU I would've never guessed that is Iowa, Al. Am out of rep for the moment but will be back soon, armed and ready.

@mcbrisket Thanks. All of those pictures were taken from the trail network that begins less than a quarter mile from back door. The maple leaves are magical--predominantly pink and red but also green, orange, and yellow. I call it riding on Fruity Pebbles.

The northeast corner of Iowa (along with SE MN and SW WI) has a "baby Ozarks" kind of topography.  It's the same kind of geology as say NW Arkansas (dissected plateau), but smaller.

Honestly, kind of looks like the Hill Country a little too, but different foliage.

3 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

@Al_4_ISU Would definitely enjoy being on those trails. Still a bit blown away by how much snow y'all get.

Anyway, time to ride. A front blew in last night and dropped the temps and a lot of rain, so it's probably back to pedaling on pavement for me.

This was nearly a record snow year (well February at least).  We don't get enough snow for snowmobiling to be a guaranteed activity.  As nasty as this winter was, there was only 3-4 weekends that guys could ride sled.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

3 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Thanks. I'm on the other end of the state, in southeast Idaho.

The whole region is littered with wonderful trails. Boise and SLC have extensive networks of singletrack, but they can get surprisingly crowded. If you're more into the downhill aspect (or worried about the climbs), there are several locations with lift-serviced runs (most ski resorts offer them). A few bike/terrain parks are scattered around, such as the one in Teton Village near Jackson Hole.

However, if you just want to put in the miles--up and down--I'd be more than happy to guide you on our local trails. We have a few hundred miles worth, most of which is accessible/ride-able to intermediate cyclists.

I'll extend that offer to anyone on Surly--WD, Twice, Al, G650, etc. I love our trails and think y'all would, too.

Thanks for the info.  Sounds perfect actually.  When i head to the mountains I like to get in 1 maybe 2 park days and spend the rest hitting cross country trails.  I don't mind the climbing.  I appreciate the offer and if I get up that way I'll definitely take you up on it.

I was in Jackson Hole back in summer 2017 because I went up there to watch the eclipse in Grand Teton NP (was fucking awesome!).  Went over to check out Teton Village and was surprised that the bike park has little elevation.  Like maybe 350-400 feet and only utilizes that lower part of the mountain.  Seemed like lost opportunity.  Sadly I didn't get to ride it because I was with my 70yr old dad, but it looked fun nonetheless.

Awesome pics.  I love seeing pics of trails, especially ones that aren't local to me.  Those pics are really making me want to get up to the mountains to do some riding - you have some kick ass local trails.  Thinking I may need to make it to Idaho.

1 hour ago, mcbrisket said:

Picked up a Yeti SB5+ a month ago. 3rd ride on the bike at Brushy Creek my front washed out and my right side love handle area smacked a tree. Pretty gnarly bruise there currently. Bike is ok though.

The bike:

2gvoi7a.jpg

The bruise:

nmxmow.jpg

Know the feeling. In 2013 I did a reverse endo on Picnic - basically tried to pull the front up over something while going uphill and went backwards on a cedar tree and stump. Had a really nice slash across the kidney for a few weeks

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

This is a pretty fun little trail although it suffers from the drawbacks noted above.  It's also probably the most weather-resistant trail in the Metroplex.

Watching this stuff makes my collarbone ache.

That is some gorgeous fun and flowy track. Amazing that it exists in the Metroplex. Looks like it has something for everyone, including a fair amount of techy bits and chunk.

Will be back later when rep cannons have reloaded.

I have little to add to this thread other than having taken a jeep tour last year in AZ.  To stand at the base of this nonsense and look up, to see riders actively traversing the "white line" in Sedona....man.  Makes my hands sweat just thinking about it.  

aHR0cHM6Ly9jZG4uYmlrZW1hZy5jb20vdXBsb2FkScreen-Shot-2015-03-12-at-11.12.45-AM.pn

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KuЯdt said:

Thanks for the info.  Sounds perfect actually.  When i head to the mountains I like to get in 1 maybe 2 park days and spend the rest hitting cross country trails.  I don't mind the climbing.  I appreciate the offer and if I get up that way I'll definitely take you up on it.

I was in Jackson Hole back in summer 2017 because I went up there to watch the eclipse in Grand Teton NP (was fucking awesome!).  Went over to check out Teton Village and was surprised that the bike park has little elevation.  Like maybe 350-400 feet and only utilizes that lower part of the mountain.  Seemed like lost opportunity.  Sadly I didn't get to ride it because I was with my 70yr old dad, but it looked fun nonetheless.

Agreed on the Jackson bike park. They probably figured it was best to cater to tourists and XC dorks like me and leave the big hits and gaps to the nearby lift-serviced ski hills.

Two biggest criticisms of our local trails are: a) lack of a pump track and b) scarcity of wide, bermed, and manicured runs like what you get at bike parks or ski hills like Angel Fire.

1 hour ago, AUinHsv said:

Know the feeling. In 2013 I did a reverse endo on Picnic - basically tried to pull the front up over something while going uphill and went backwards on a cedar tree and stump. Had a really nice slash across the kidney for a few weeks

Haha.  I am a shitty manual-er.  I got OK with my hardtail and then switched to FS, which has some things that should help (shorter chainstays, dropper), but it was like starting over again.

One of my biggest fears is looping out going up a chunky hill (actually some that you can see in that OCNP video), because I still haven't mastered the balance point.

Edited by TwiceHorn

great pics, gents!  makes me want to go ride, except I'm sore all over---like from a car crash.  got a decent nap, though.

2x:  glad your feeling better.  get out of your head.

this place is fucking scary.  but I can't get it out of my head.  I hope I survive it.  plays in hd, as usual.

• Like 3

That steep little drop at about 2:10 looks a lot like the thing I broke myself on, in the runout after the drop.  A higher speed version of that dude at the end.

I gotta get on my bike before I can get out of my head.  This week probably, but minimal gnar.

On the tires, I got rear (which I never took off) pumped up and it's holding.  Front I'm just starting over with.  I managed to get close with the front and CO2 after trying to clean it, but the bead was hanging on some of the goo on the tape so I just said fuck it and ripped it out.  Gonna get some wider tape, too.

Edited by TwiceHorn

Sooo more tubeless headaches.  Got some wide enough stans tape doesnt stick for shit.  I read some say stretch it and it starts to stick once you're half way round, Well this didn't happen.  As soon as I let go of the free end it pops up.

I'm guessing it's bad tape.

Third try maybe charmed.  After wasting one wheel's worth of tape, the stuff under that seemed to be stickier and I was able to get the wheel taped and CO2 set the bead.  Not leaking initially.

It occurs to me that maybe I lack the strength to stretch the tape sufficiently given that I was using my right hand/arm.  But the first couple of feet of that shit just were not sticking at all.

5 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

81J0Kac14NL._SL1500_.jpg

Yeah I have seen reference to that and it being a mess to remove.  I'd prefer not to create anymore gooey messes, so I bent over and bought Stans.  I couldn't find any of those Scotch or Tesa tapes online in anything wider than 1".  I will say that the 30mm tape did nice coverage.  Previously, I had bought a Stans kit that had tape for like 25-30mm rims, which meant 25mm and necessitated two overlapping layers to go bead to bead.

Also, after what have to be like 7 or 8 on-offs now, I can get the tires on and off without tools in a jif.

Also, now that I seem to be able to tubeless them Ok and I know that they stretch out a little, I'm going to throw a good word for Vee Crown Gem tires.  Don't know or care about weight, but they seem to grip pretty darn well in the loose over hard we have here in Nawf Texas and have worn pretty well with a gross amount of pavement riding.  Also seem to be reasonably tough, as I have had no flats in six months of riding.  I don't do a lot of hard hitting jumps or gnarly rock gardens, but stupid shit like not getting my front wheel successfully over a rock and hitting stumps or other shit at 20mph probably poses its own toughness challenges.

Edited by TwiceHorn

For any mtb dads, I want to pimp NICA again. My sons just finished their third race of the season at Bluff Creek Ranch in Warda. Many hundreds of 6-12 graders shredded the course Sunday in really cold and windy weather and rode from a bit over 5 miles to over 20.

I think NICA has leagues in almost half the states and is growing every year. The Austin area alone has a few hundred riders and the team from Amarillo arrives in an old UT tour bus. I’ll have to get a picture of it from the next race at Dino Valley.

• Like 1

So yesterday got in first ride since the wreck, so 16 weeks of healing.  Should be plenty, but I'm old, so.

Just forced myself to spin around the hood, did some minor hills to see how bad off I was.  Forced myself to do a solid 30 minutes either spinning 90 or climbing something.

One thing I noticed is my brake levers.  They are Shimano m300 series so pretty entry level.  They are decent though.  One of the criticisms of them is they have long, two-finger or worse levers, which I thought was a sort of abstract knock as I moved them in a little bit and tend to keep my hands out, So they are one-finger brakes for me.

Because I can't close my left FU finger yet, it was flopping around and I see now how longer brake levers can assist in fucking up your fingers when you go off the bike. I suppose it might have happened anyway but it was rather conspicuous how often that finger was banging the lever.

So I may have spied my first mechanical upgrade.

First non-snow ride since mid-January tomorrow.  Pretty pumped.

I know I'm going to be hammered dog shit, though.  Kept the winter weight in check, but still heavier than optimal, and while I increased the duration and intensity of my stationary program, it just doesn't compare to the real thing.

Third ride since claviclemageddon.  This time Harry Moss trail, above, but stayed off anything even vaguely gnarly.  Shoulder is pretty much fine, once again the finger proves the limiting factor.  I only have an effectively two finger grip on the left side, so I can't lift my wheel at all.  Also strange having that finger kind of sticking out when amongst the trees/