Lamb

Errestaurants

3 minutes ago, Bevo VIII said:

Aye share that recipe bro.

I've made it twice now.  Both times I used Lamb Loin chops (mini t-bones of lamb).

I rub them down in salt and Slap Yo' Mama and then brown them in a frying pan with butter and olive oil.  Then place them in the bottom of the Instapot or crockpot.

Add a little more butter, olive oil and saute diced onions, celery and garlic with sugar cube sized carrots (I take the organic baby carrots, line them up and cut them into thirds).  I season this mixture while it sautes for a few minutes with oregano, salt and more Slap Yo' Mama.  Add to the Instapot on top of the lamb chops and include 2-3 Bay leaves.

At this point you can add new potatoes or fingerling potatoes and mushrooms if you like.  I do both.

Then add a mixture of bone broth with either chicken broth or beef broth (depending upon the flavor profile that you're shooting for and the wine that you plan to serve with it).  Depending upon which one I pick, I'll also add some bouillon.

Set Instapot to 60 minutes, highest pressure and select "Meat/Stew".

Pour a glass of wine and enjoy the house filling up with the aroma of awesomeness!

1 hour ago, Bevo VIII said:

That looks amazing. Good job OP! Did you make the sauce yourself?

Yea, I made it from some leftover greek yogurt that I used in the marinate for the lamb. It's greek yogurt, agave, siracha, lemon and lime juice, tarragon, chives and salt.

The tacos were lamb, yogurt sauce, sliced onion, cucumber, baby kale from my garden, cherry tomatoes and chives.

Grilled the lamb on my big green egg using oak.

6 hours ago, UnivTex34 said:

I'm gonna give lamb chops a try on the smoker Sunday. Any tips y'all can share?

I'd keep a close eye on them.  I'd keep it short to get some smoke flavor and finish quickly over higher heat.  To be honest, I probably wouldn't bother with the smoker at all, unless you were doing a leg or some lamb breast. 

I think that its pretty damn hard to beat double cut rack of lamb, sous vide, and finished in cast iron. 

vGZUDb3.jpg?1

AbpgBrp.jpg?1

Vt763UF.jpg

• Like 6

yeah, i started doing the double cut last few times I made it.  I found that the single chops get overdone, but the double chop sous vide seared and then cut down to one bone gives you the right balance between nice med rare meat and charred exterior.  And makes for a pretty nice presentation. next weekend will be the easter lamb roast. I still need to circle back and perfect lamb ribs on the smoker.  first time i tried those it was transcendental. 

9 minutes ago, UnivTex34 said:

Yeah, everything I had been looking at said 210-220 for an hour and 15.

we're talking chops, what anastasis posted above, correct?  leg of lamb that may be about right (with a high temp sear afterward).  chops i don't see how they wouldn't be well done (or beyond) at that point. 

Edited by elfenix

Did 2 boneless legs on the BGE. Cut them each into 3 pieces along the natural separation spots. Smoked for 30 minutes at 250-300 and then seared until 120.

They marinated overnight in lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper, rosemary, oregano, parsley mixture.

Totally forgot to take a money shot afterwards.

80d3d4be826b90e99dedcb7f35426c36.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Did 2 boneless legs on the BGE. Cut them each into 3 pieces along the natural separation spots. Smoked for 30 minutes at 250-300 and then seared until 120.

They marinated overnight in lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper, rosemary, oregano, parsley mixture.

Totally forgot to take a money shot afterwards.

80d3d4be826b90e99dedcb7f35426c36.jpg

I rep this despite strong reservations over the lack of a money shot. 

I pledge to post pictures of non-heretic easter lamb, whole on spit next weekend for you heathens. 

On 3/30/2018 at 8:46 PM, BlueGreySky said:

Anastasis, those chops look fucking awesome.  I wish we weren't traveling for Easter.  Will be the first year since we were married that I'm not doing some type of Lamb on Sunday.  Instead we get my m-i-l's bland whatever she decides to make. 

My ILs are great and my MIL will make some bad azz lebanese food. But I tend to take over the grill wherever I am. Everybody's happy. 

Edited by Anastasis

The best lamb I ever had was smoked lamb breast. The meat is fatty like pork belly with small bones through it.

I would sprinkle garlic salt on both sides and start it at 300-350 for the first 30 minutes so the fat starts to brown and render and reduce the heat to 220 after that.

I wrap them in foil after 2 hours and do another 1.5 or 2 wrapped. Then unwrap them to firm up the last 20 minutes or so and reserve the juice for dipping.

Eat with Naan, tortillas or whatever pocket bread you may have handy. It drips tasty fat juices. Tear it apart with your hands and knaw on the riblets.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

My ILs are great and my MIL will make some bad azz lebanese food. But I tend to take over the grill wherever I am. Everybody's happy. 

Would loved to have grilled today.  But, it's April and I've got 3+ inches of snow on the ground today.  Since the first day of spring we've had 12 inches of snow.  Man, fuck the midwest winters.

9 hours ago, RayDog said:

The best lamb I ever had was smoked lamb breast. The meat is fatty like pork belly with small bones through it.

I would sprinkle garlic salt on both sides and start it at 300-350 for the first 30 minutes so the fat starts to brown and render and reduce the heat to 220 after that.

I wrap them in foil after 2 hours and do another 1.5 or 2 wrapped. Then unwrap them to firm up the last 20 minutes or so and reserve the juice for dipping.

Eat with Naan, tortillas or whatever pocket bread you may have handy. It drips tasty fat juices. Tear it apart with your hands and knaw on the riblets.

All of this. Lamb breast is awesome.