Game of Thrones Season 8 (Bookfags unite)

Michael Knight

Interesting analysis of where GoT went wrong

The show did indeed take a turn for the worse, but the reasons for that downturn goes way deeper than the usual suspects that have been identified (new and inferior writers, shortened season, too many plot holes). It’s not that these are incorrect, but they’re just superficial shifts. In fact, the souring of Game of Thrones exposes a fundamental shortcoming of our storytelling culture in general: we don’t really know how to tell sociological stories.

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/observations/the-real-reason-fans-hate-the-last-season-of-game-of-thrones/

On 5/17/2019 at 9:36 AM, Mileslong said:

The one character that TV missed out on was Lady Stoneheart. One if the saving graces in A Feast for Crows. Imagine the shock of the TV viewers when out of nowhere she appears with the Brotherhood. They could have had a few hints over the course of several episodes of a “Silent Sister” leading a band of outlaws killing Lannister’s etc before the big reveal.

Missed opportunity imo...

While I would have loved to see LSH, it's clear the one character the show missed out on is fAegon. Seems like he's going to fill the Cersei role of ruling King's Landing in the books, but I can see why they thought he may not have been important until it was far too late to introduce him. 

3 minutes ago, GabrielsHorn said:

While I would have loved to see LSH, it's clear the one character the show missed out on is fAegon. Seems like he's going to fill the Cersei role of ruling King's Landing in the books, but I can see why they thought he may not have been important until it was far too late to introduce him. 

Young griff will obviously fill the role of turning Dany mad.  Everyone will love him even tho his claim is fake and Dany will sacrifice 2 children and half her army to protect them from the dead. Combine that with Jon being revealed as a true targ and everyone loving him.  That will drive her offer the edge and she'll burn the city in retaliation 

Edited by Michael Knight

Narrator: It did. 

Between a Storm of Swords and A Feast for Crows, Martin both lost some of his drive and got more powerful than his editor. Not giving a fuck and having total autonomy is a bad combination for a writer. 

As a result, 4 and 5 are filled with filler. Lots of Feast and Dance could have been scrapped and/or streamlined. 

Edited by Pods
  • Like 1

Fucking Bran? Holy shit that was a terrible way to end it.

Right!? Like what was that “that’s why I came here” comment? We’re the writers thinking that was supposed to be a big twist for the audience? Like “oh he was playing everyone all along?” If so that fell flat.

4 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

Ok that final sequence was pretty much McNulty season 5 ending,  it got there stupidly but the final destination felt right

as written, it was the best way to keep the peace.  but still stupid.

also, what's keeping Bran from commuting Jon's sentence in the KW?  once the dothraki and unsullied are gone, no one else is pissed that Jon didnt get killed

If I ever make my own fantasy series, it's going to end with an Animal House style montage about what becomes of everyone.  Fuck this Return of the King hobbits slobbering all over each other shit or this crap that I just watched.

• Like 1