Game of Thrones Season 8 (Bookfags unite)

Michael Knight

11 hours ago, Mileslong said:

I wasn’t particularly happy Bronn got all that shit after the utter disloyalty he showed to everyone.

For a stupid scene that made no sense.  Instead, why don't they just show him walking in and telling them about Cercei's plan to kill them.  In the end, we still don't see him the rest of the season, he's still a Lord (of a different house), and still on the small council. the difference is you still fucking like Bronn and his character hasn't been shit on.

Edited by CooterBrown

I'm guessing so. I had a guy on my Twitter feed mention Bran "winning" right before it started.

Overall I was fine with it. Loved seeing Jon reunite with Ghost and the surviving Starks all ruling in some capacity. Also loved Sansa putting dull ass Edmure in his place. With all the fanservice we've had this season I expected Brienne to flip past an entry for Ser Duncan the Tall, but D&D may not know who that is, so not too surprising, I guess.

The person who said it reminded them of the ending to the Wire was pretty dead on. Drogon not eating Jon seemed a bit silly. Yeah, the dragon got that his mommy was a psycho because of the lust for that throne but come on. It's a giant creature full of rage but it lets him go? The rest was okay.

Edited by mdmost

25 minutes ago, Bookman said:

So was this the ending that leaked? Because I have a co-worker that predicted the ending by like 95%,

There was a second ending was leaked with that one that was supposedly also filmed.  It seemed more in line with GRRM's outline.  Tyrion is executed, Jon kills Dany, the dragon still carries her away. End.  There's no stupid election or call for democracy.

9 minutes ago, mdmost said:

. Drogon not eating Jon seemed a bit silly. Yeah, the dragon got that his mommy was a psycho because of the lust for that throne but come on. It's a giant creature full of rage but it lets him go? The rest was okay.

That’s one of the very few things I didn’t have a problem with. Only thing I think that may have made it better was if Drogon tried to roast him, realized he couldn’t be burned, then dejectedly flew off with Dany. Maybe that would have been cheesy though. 

1 hour ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

I saw the votes, but are we to believe that the new un-named prince of dorne is ok with Bran the Broken being king? That's so unlike him.... 

Or that Dorne, the most rebellious of the seven kingdoms and also currently the strongest, is totally cool with the North being its own kingdom and doesn’t even demand their independence 

Everything that happened after the Jon murders Dany scene was dumb but also not really relevant in the grand scheme of things.  

However the ending of Tyrion’s storyline didn’t sit well with me.  If it were up to me he wouldn’t have survived after all the miscalculations crescendoing with the betrayal of Varys.  It took his entire family dying, Varys sacrificing himself, King’s Landing burned to the ground, and his freedom taken away for Tyrion to realize how seriously he fucked up.  Only then does he decide to use his influence on Jon Snow to do the right thing. 

Way to go. 

at no point in the show did Dany become unfuckable for Jon because she was his aunt. It was because she was a cunt. 

How many times did he fuck her after he learned of his real identity? I saw him shoot her down twice, including once after the battle of Winterfell when he was, by his own admission, at least a little drunk. He was raised in the north and incest was not socially acceptable. He obviously struggled with it, and perhaps he could have gotten there with time. That said, he rebuffed her twice and the second time was presented as a turning point for Dany to embrace the use of fear to rule the 7 kingdoms.
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Or that Dorne, the most rebellious of the seven kingdoms and also currently the strongest, is totally cool with the North being its own kingdom and doesn’t even demand their independence 

Doesn't mean that Dorne doesn't immediately demand something or just declares their independence a month later.

Very disappointed and my expectations were not that high after the Great War with the White Walkers lasted all of one battle. The espisode was good until drogon flew off but then it turned into a pile of stupid.  I think I may have been happier with the ending if Jon had been at the Kings Moot. Imagine that he makes the first part of Tyrion's speech and then agrees to exile himself as part of the free folk ( not the kw because they don't exist). Then Tyrion can step in and make his Bran the Broken pitch. 

Just now, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Doesn't mean that Dorne doesn't immediately demand something or just declares their independence a month later.

Same with Iron Born.  I fully expected Yara to jump in and say she didn't know that was an option after Sansa said Nah, the North is good, we out.

3 minutes ago, Houstoncat93 said:

Same with Iron Born.  I fully expected Yara to jump in and say she didn't know that was an option after Sansa said Nah, the North is good, we out.

Yep, and once the Unsullied and North troops have left KL, does Bran really have much military power? One would assume the Dothraki would go back home as well.

It turns into a diplomatic struggle for Bran and Tyrion to deal with.

1 hour ago, RichUT said:

How many times did he fuck her after he learned of his real identity? I saw him shoot her down twice, including once after the battle of Winterfell when he was, by his own admission, at least a little drunk. He was raised in the north and incest was not socially acceptable. He obviously struggled with it, and perhaps he could have gotten there with time. That said, he rebuffed her twice and the second time was presented as a turning point for Dany to embrace the use of fear to rule the 7 kingdoms.

Total of three times she tried to get it, third time he did stick it in her, 'cept it was a knife.

Edited by bamachine

i imagine the ending is how GRRM planned it.  stark's not only surviving but thriving and "winning".

however, how d&d got there did not do GRRM or the fans justice.  they rushed the shit out of this season.  they didn't develop the major story of how she became mad.  to have 7 season's worth of her mostly doing the right thing and inspiring righteousness and then in a span of 2 episodes turning into hitler is a fucking stretch.  and to totally dismiss the azor ahai prophecy in order to shock people in having arya kill the NK is beyond fucking stupid.  nevermind killing jamie's 7 season story arc and fucking up that whole prophecy by having bricks kill cersei is fucking stupid.  and the whole never explaining what the fucking night king was about other than just being evil is beyond lazy.  and then having dany's quest to amass an army for 5 seasons only to have her wreck shit with one dragon is beyond fucking stupid.  and how the most inept uninteresting character "wins" the throne is stupid.  i'm sure the book will paint bran in a much more powerful light. i could go on and on but d&d should be kicked out of hollywood based on how lazy they were with this season and the show.

Edited by crash_davis
  • Like 3

and as stated above, prob the most stupid use of important shit is jon's heritage.  

the only impact it had was to turn off jon to incest and that was a major point in driving dany to madness.  really, all the shit that's happened because of that forbidden love only to be used as a small plot point to show jon is not down with fucking his aunt and her going crazy bitch psycho because she didn't get her dick?  that was the whole reason for all that turmoil?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

“I can never be Lord of Winterfell, I can never be lord of anything. I’m the Three-Eyed Raven.”

That was not being humble, that was "do you know who I am, I am going to be da King, bitch, not some measly Lord". D&D

If not clear, being satirical there. I completely agree with the ruination of the Jaime character. Maybe they had a point, that no matter how many good deeds an addict does after getting clean, it does not take much to go back to the addiction. Still, they were hamfisted in the way they did it. Jaime knew before hearing about Dany's dragon that Cersei, if she lost, likely was going to  be worm food. Then that revelation should not have caused him to go 180 on all the character growth he went through over the better part of a decade.

The whole Azor Ahai thing and the three heads of the dragon I can see them claiming that Dany, Jon and Drogon were those three heads. Jon had to put a blade in the heart of his love, Dany, to bring about the flaming sword(Drogon melting the Iron Throne, made of swords, setting them alight). It could have done with a little explanation though, maybe from useless Brano.

here's the problem with any bran speculations.  even if he were playing the long game planning to be king, the show didn't do a damned thing to convince us of that.  all we got from bran was sitting in a chair and 20 lines of dialogue in 3 seasons.  how the hell are you plotting and planning by rolling around, zoning out, and watching netflix for 3 seasons?

5 minutes ago, MoJames said:

Any of you bookies wish you had not watched past what has been written?

No, because seeing the overall ending plot points, and imagining that GRRM will get us there in a much smoother way, is promising.

Because if Jon being a Targaryean, and that not mattering at all, simply cannot be the way the books end up. I refuse to believe that a plot point THAT significant, THAT world-changing, would only be used as another cog in the wheel of Dany going crazy.

I'm actually ok with most of the endings. Jon being a Wildling and living free, away from the Westeros politics, seems like that would make him happy. Sansa, Queen of the North, completes her arc nicely, in my opinion.

However, I'm only ok with Bran being King, if the following are true:

• He sees all past events and can (at least somewhat) see future events
  • He saw Drogon flying over KL
  • He knew that everything leading up to Dany going crazy was in motion. (Him telling Jon that he was right where he needed to be all along, in order to make this timeline be the one that occurs)
  • He knew that Jon being the rightful heir would have no meaning, other than driving a wedge between him and Dany, and being part of the reason she goes crazy
  • He knew that all these events would eventually transpire which would lead to him being King
  • He wanted to be King (Why? Who knows? Would have been nice to get more info about Bran, AT ALL, other than him flying with the Ravens during the apocalypse)

It's bittersweet, because like I said I generally didn't have a problem with the overall ending. This was and still is, one of the best shows ever, any genre. But it's bittersweet knowing that they had the potential to be the best ever, and rushed it so they could get started on Star Wars.

• Like 4

There has to be a chance Disney changes their mind on the D&D trilogy, right? How could you look at their record, mixed with the reception of TLJ and Solo and see that this could be a catastrophic hire, right? This final season is a complete embarrassment and it comes from the top. 

• Like 2

Just another minor detail, those dumb fucks paid no attention to was that Brienne was sworn to stay and protect the Stark girls. It makes no sense that she's Captain of the King's Guard. She should've been up north with Sansa. Let Podrick have his moment down south.

27 minutes ago, greenman said:

There has to be a chance Disney changes their mind on the D&D trilogy, right? How could you look at their record, mixed with the reception of TLJ and Solo and see that this could be a catastrophic hire, right? This final season is a complete embarrassment and it comes from the top. 

I hope they get Rian Johnson to write it, just to watch heads explode!

1 hour ago, MoJames said:

Any of you bookies wish you had not watched past what has been written?

It’s pretty much a shitty situation either way.

I had already accepted the show spoiling the books, but I thought the show would do a decent job telling the story. Now it’s like I’ve read all the bullet points but nothing else becuase the filler to get to those bullet points was so bad I know it’s not even remotely close to how GRRM will do it (if he ever does).

So, if the books get written, I kind of wish I hadn’t watched it, but if the books are never written, then I guess knowing the general way GRRM was going to end it is better than nothing.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mdmost said:

The person who said it reminded them of the ending to the Wire was pretty dead on. Drogon not eating Jon seemed a bit silly. Yeah, the dragon got that his mommy was a psycho because of the lust for that throne but come on. It's a giant creature full of rage but it lets him go? The rest was okay.

Dragon isn't going to burn Jon because THE DRAGON KNOWS

Edited by High Plains Drifter
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, mdmost said:

Was interesting there wasn't a Behind the Thrones post-log like in previous episodes. I guess D&D didn't want to try to justify anything with the finale like they've done in previous episodes?

They're doing an hour long behind the scenes, "making of" type documentary that's going to be on HBO next week, IIRC.  So maybe that's why.

2 hours ago, crash_davis said:

here's the problem with any bran speculations.  even if he were playing the long game planning to be king, the show didn't do a damned thing to convince us of that.  all we got from bran was sitting in a chair and 20 lines of dialogue in 3 seasons.  how the hell are you plotting and planning by rolling around, zoning out, and watching netflix for 3 seasons?

Bran turned into some Oracle from the Matrix character, or Dr. Strange from Avengers.  "I'm going to tell you what you need to know so you end up in the right place"

3 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Just another minor detail, those dumb fucks paid no attention to was that Brienne was sworn to stay and protect the Stark girls. It makes no sense that she's Captain of the King's Guard. She should've been up north with Sansa. Let Podrick have his moment down south.

She got promoted to the Kings Guard which is the highest honor for a knight 

just watched the last episode and I'm fuckin' lollin' over here

Sam's like, "hey democracy, let's do that" and they're all like, "FUCK THAT MIGHT AS WELL LET DOGS VOTE LET'S PUT IN THE CRIPPLE WHO HAS NEVER DONE ANYTHING!"

and Tyrion's grand plan is to have a kingsmoot for Westeros which led to Crow's Eye in the first place and will fail hilariously the first time it happens

And what the hell are the stupid Unsullied going to do on Naath? robotic war slaves just hanging out with people who won't even kill animals while never fighting again and never fucking?

And Arya is going to go be a colonizer in the West, probably getting them involved in some dumb shit for no reason

And Bran just let all those people die so he could be king, which rules. That stupid benevolent look on Bran's face to Jon before Jon sails off to the Nightswatch, like Bran's benificence means shit

oh and he's going to get control of Drogon and become a pissed off dragon monster because he will never fuck and incels are history's greatest monsters

• Like 1