Game of Thrones Season 8 (Bookfags unite)

Michael Knight

10 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

as written, it was the best way to keep the peace.  but still stupid.

also, what's keeping Bran from commuting Jon's sentence in the KW?  once the dothraki and unsullied are gone, no one else is pissed that Jon didnt get killed

He's a stone cold M'fer and would never commute a sentence 

So wildlings just go back to being free folk, occasionally raiding the north? The kw goes back to protecting from wildling raids after a generation or so.

The great houses going back to bickering with even greater stakes now that anyone can be voted in as king.

Also after a generation or so we see either other independent minded kingdoms like Dorne declaring independence, or a war with the independent north to reclaim the seven kingdoms.

Targ line and a few other older families have been wiped out, but other than that, business as usual.

Just now, seven said:

The epilogue made everything alright imo. I'm very happy with where everyone ends up. Yes it was rushed and that sucks, but ultimately I like where this went. 

This is where I am.  Would have been better to have extended the last episode but then again perhaps that would have been boring.

personally I want to see a comedy spin-off called the Small Council.  Bran can show up every few episodes to make it have a infrequent serious tone.

19 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

also, what's keeping Bran from commuting Jon's sentence in the KW?  once the dothraki and unsullied are gone, no one else is pissed that Jon didnt get killed

It was sloppy, but John ended up where he wanted to end up.  A simple, "Hey, the Unsullied are leaving, come hang in Winterfell."  "No, I belong at the wall/north of it" would have solved that.  

The council scene at the end was a poorly written disaster.  Other than that, I kinda liked the finale.  The comparison to how Wire Season 5 final montage wrapped up the series was apt.

• Like 1

So the other Houses just accept a Stark as King, while his sister says "no deal" we will stay independent and that's okay with everyone.

zero, zero believability that Jon Snow lives long enough to make it to that council if the Unsullied had their hands on him.

The final Small Council felt like the C squad at best.

Bran always up the punchability factor

• Like 2

End of a long journey though. I wonder what the next big thing will be to capture such a large portion of the worlds attention. People named their kids after this show, gathered for watch parties, and it entered pop culture for many different countries.

so the guy who won the game of thrones didn't even play.  hell, he wasn't even in the show for an entire season.  he barely spoke a sentence of dialogue in the last two seasons.  and he "wins" the throne.  he knew dany would torch KL and kill millions.  he doesn't do anything about it, or tells anyone to stop it.  how the fuck is he supposed to be a good choice when he sits idle and lets millions die a senseless death.

what the fuck?

I started reading the books 20 years ago. And to some extent, that was it. That's... that's how it ends. Dany dead by Jon's hand, which had to be coming. Bran on the throne, though the show doesn't particularly build it up. Sansa queen of herself. And Jon in the night's watch, which is what he wanted.

Half of my life in the making (I'm a man, I'm 40). I will read the books if GRRM gets to them. But I feel like I've read the last chapter now. And I'm not sure how to feel about that. End of an era. As I said, half my life.

Think I'll finish this beer while watching the last 15 minutes of The Long Night.

1 hour ago, AUS-97HORN said:

Absolutely nothing. They ended the show the same way they’ve written it for the last two seasons. Utterly stupid. 

15 minutes ago, elfenix said:

I started reading the books 20 years ago. And to some extent, that was it. That's... that's how it ends. Dany dead by Jon's hand, which had to be coming. Bran on the throne, though the show doesn't particularly build it up. Sansa queen of herself. And Jon in the night's watch, which is what he wanted.

Half of my life in the making (I'm a man, I'm 40). I will read the books if GRRM gets to them. But I feel like I've read the last chapter now. And I'm not sure how to feel about that. End of an era. As I said, half my life.

Think I'll finish this beer while watching the last 15 minutes of The Long Night.

I’m with you on this. The books seem like they’ve probably been spoiled but the show did such a poor job it still kind of feels like they haven’t been.

It would be hilarious if GRRM gave D&D this BS ending so his much better ending wouldn't be spoiled. GRRM was gonna make money off the show no matter what, so why not watch the chuckleheads stumble without source material and save the best stuff for yourself,?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, APMP said:

It would be hilarious if GRRM gave D&D this BS ending so his much better ending wouldn't be spoiled. GRRM was gonna make money off the show no matter what, so why not watch the chuckleheads stumble without source material and save the best stuff for yourself,?

Like use fAegon to fight a war in the south and Euron's alliance with Cersei is against him? Then Dany comes and burns them both out, perhaps becoming the monster her father wanted to be. Then she meets Jon and goes North. They fuck like champs, defeat the dead, and learn Jon is Aegon. She betrays him, maybe the Dothraki plunder and rape, and he kills her?

He exiles himself, Sansa becomes queen in the north and the kingsmoot is held at Winterfell?

3 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

So R + L = totally irrelevant?   Is there a single thing that would have been affected if Jon were really a bastard? 

And yet, in a nut sack kick full of irony, that was the only question Martin asked D&D to see if they understood his story. 

58 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

so the guy who won the game of thrones didn't even play.  hell, he wasn't even in the show for an entire season.  he barely spoke a sentence of dialogue in the last two seasons.  and he "wins" the throne.  he knew dany would torch KL and kill millions.  he doesn't do anything about it, or tells anyone to stop it.  how the fuck is he supposed to be a good choice when he sits idle and lets millions die a senseless death.

what the fuck?

Don't get me wrong, not saying this was a good ending but you are giving Bran more powers than he had. He cannot see everything in the future, he might get glimpses but not the whole picture. He can see everything in the past and what is currently happening, if he chooses to look at that moment and in the right place. He saw a single image of the dragon flying over KL, not that she was going to go all apeshit and burn it to the ground.

Edited by bamachine

So R + L = totally irrelevant?   Is there a single thing that would have been affected if Jon were really a bastard? 

As best I tell, it’s what the story needed to prevent the long term union of John and Dany. Without that revelation, their love continues and Dany likely doesn’t turn heel. People wanted it to mean that Jon ended up as King, but all it really served was to ensure that Dany didn’t end up as Queen.

Just now, RichUT said:

As best I tell, it’s what the story needed to prevent the long term union of John and Dany. Without that revelation, their love continues and Dany likely doesn’t turn heel. People wanted it to mean that Jon ended up as King, but all it really served was to ensure that Dany didn’t end up as Queen.

You're saying that "Jon turns on Dany because she turns into Hitler" doesn't work if they are still fucking?    And the entire R+L saga is nothing more than a device to creep Jon out about fucking his aunt? 

You're saying that "Jon turns on Dany because she turns into Hitler" doesn't work if they are still fucking?    And the entire R+L saga is nothing more than a device to creep Jon out about fucking his aunt? 

In the hands of Benioff and Weiss......pretty much. Jon’s lineage was a poison pill for both sides for different reasons. It made Jon a threat to Dany’s claim to the throne and made Dany un-fuckable for Jon. It also further splintered Dany’s support, which served to make her feel isolated.

It feels like it should have been more relevant to the end game, but based on what we were shown that’s what it appears to have been.
  • Like 1

As dumb as it all was, I did kinda like the first part of the episode.  Creep factor was high.  Dany's Hitler speech was great, if a bit (actually square) on the nose.  And while they're terrible at everything else, Dumb and Dumber do like those cool shots.  And Drogon's wings behind Dany was definitely a cool shot. 

Of course the episode nose-dived right after Jon murked her, but whaddya gonna do?  I read that George wanted the show to go 12-13 seasons and that HBO was cool with 14.  These chuckleheads got their Star Wars trilogy and decided a shortened 8 was good enough.  Someone who actually cared about the source material, cared about their craft, the fans, and their legacy would have toughed it out to finish the story right or at least handed if off to someone capable.  Instead these two frat bros Titanic'ed the fuck out of it. 

Ah well.  Maybe one day in the far future George actually gets the story finished.  That's the one I care about anyway.  I need to see how Stannis the Mannis wrecks the Boltons.  I need to see what Marwyn is up to down at the Citadel and how Jaqen is going to throw a wrench into that whole thing.  I need to see Euron's apotheosis into the Drowned God.  The show was always a knock-off.  It was an extremely well done knock-off early on, but it still wasn't the real thing.  Though I still think it's a shame it flamed out so badly.  Hopefully, even with the dumb-fuckery, it can lead to more fantasy stuff being made for TV. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, RichUT said:

Jon’s lineage was a poison pill for both sides for different reasons. It made Jon a threat to Dany’s claim to the throne and made Dany un-fuckable for Jon. It also further splintered Dany’s support, which served to make her feel isolated.

I agree with the above but an additional takeaway is Jon Snow didn’t need to be Aegon Targaryan to be a king.  His upbringing as a Stark trained him to be a good leader.  Bloodlines and bastards make no difference to him.  He makes this point when he asks Tyrion, “You think our house words are stamped on our bodies?”  

Also, how exactly could the R+L=J be more relevant?  I suppose if Jon sits on the iron throne or flys off on Drogon but the importance of his heritage seems to be that he was the only person that could kill Daenerys without getting eaten by a fire breathing dragon.  

IDK

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz
  • Like 1

If the show ended with Drogon flying off with Daenerys dead body, would that have been a more satisfying ending?  

I think people would have been more pissed about that ending because there would be no closure on the main characters.  However, IMO the story’s meaningful ending was Jon serving the realm and willing to sacrifice everything for it.

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

14 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

If the show ended with Drogon flying off with Daenerys dead body, would that have been a more satisfying ending?  

I think people would have been more pissed about that ending because there would be no closure on the main characters.  However, IMO the story’s meaningful ending was Jon serving the realm and willing to sacrifice everything for it.

good point.  one of Jon's big lessons from Ned is that you have to do the dirty work yourself and not delegate to others. Basically that was him killing Dany and then taking the black without complaint.

However I assume his bypassing the Nights Watch was him stating that his watch was over.  

I agree that it would seem unlikely that the other kingdoms would so willingly let the North go off on its own, but there would be nothing stopping Bran from just letting them go after he became king.  And it also removes future Starks from the potential to be king of the 6 kingdoms.