2019 Property Tax Values are Out

Texas Jeff

City of Dallas, land value went up 10K. Improvements up 12%. Only replaced the roof and that was damn sure not what jacked the value up the full 12%. The bumping up of land value is how they're squeezing more out of us. It was flat for 10 years. It went up last year. Again this year. 

Didn't go up a lot....but they popped us HARD last year, so we already got our screwing.

What's weird is that a couple of years ago, they effectively flipped the land value and the improvement value.  Before, the improvements were worth a bit more than the land -- maybe 30% more.  Then they jacked up the land value (about 85%), and reduced the improvements value about 35%.  So, if you look at each element separately, it looks like the land is overvalued, and the improvements are significantly undervalued (our house hasn't dropped 35% in value -- shit, we've painted, replaced an AC unit, replaced floors -- at the very least, it should have stayed steady).

Just now, Knoxtnhorn said:

2017 land.  $40k

2018  land.  $40k

2019. Land. $55k

2017. Improve. $157k

2018. Improve. $173k

2019. Improve. $202k

This is all new to me.  I'm getting screwed, yes?

Except didn't you buy your house between the '18 and '19 valuation years?  And pay something close to the '19 valuation?

I mean, yeah, you're getting screwed, but it's a typical, explainable screw job.  Going up 20% in a year without a sale would be an atypical screw job.

3 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

You guys all talking about what you have or have not done to your house in the past year....as if that matters in any of these figures (unless you end up disputing it)

Oh, we know that.  Really, it goes to the point that the entire process is arbitrary bullshit.

• Like 1

13.5% increase in one year, all on the land.

We are selling the house within 2 weeks from now.  It is selling for $15k  less than this fucked up impossible appraisal.

So glad to be leaving this taxation shithole.

Edited by slorch

7 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Except didn't you buy your house between the '18 and '19 valuation years?  And pay something close to the '19 valuation?

I mean, yeah, you're getting screwed, but it's a typical, explainable screw job.  Going up 20% in a year without a sale would be an atypical screw job.

Yep.  Summer of 2018.  That would explain the jump I suppose.

Edited by Knoxtnhorn

9 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

You guys all talking about what you have or have not done to your house in the past year....as if that matters in any of these figures (unless you end up disputing it)

Oh I'm aware. There's no way in hell I could get what they're saying my home is valued at. But I'm thrown into a figure based on how much square footage is going for around me for completely renovated homes. You know my area. A lot of mid-50s homes that have gotten massive renovation each time a flipper buys them cheap and adds a new kitchen or bath. But this house needs a new kitchen, 2 new bathrooms, a new fence and a lot of other shit to even be near that figure. So off to fight it I will go. 

Edited by mdmost

Knox, you just bought the house last year, correct? if the value is above your purchase price, you can appeal and present that purchase price to the appraisal board, since technically on Jan 1 thats the real value of the house.   otherwise, if its lower than what you bought it at, quit complaining.

• Like 1

We're up 6% blended, all on the house side which is strange because the home sale prices/assessments all around us have been driven by the value of our dirt, not really our homes themselves.  It's another rough year, but not the worst.  Been in the home for 12 years and not this year, but by 2020...our property taxes will have tripled.

I have written tomes about the lunacy of how City of Austin raises money.  And others have done on the same on the public school side.  But sooner or later, between their insistence on using the absolutely highest assessed value of any of the other taxing bodies and their quietly increasing rates...the massive chunk I'm writing to ACC is starting to piss me off.  They've gone off and played real estate speculator on my fucking dime, while degree seeking students continue to decline; they're gonna lose money on that Oak Hill tower,  and their administrative bloat would make Wallace Hall choke on his lunch.  /rant

25 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Again, I'm new to this and learning.  I should pretty much be ok with the appraisal mirroring what the house would actually sell for, yes?

It is legally permissible for the appraisal to be Fair Market Value.  That is actually the standard.  Hopefully, in the future, it will be substantially under FMV.  But since you have a sale that establishes FMV pretty conclusively for this timeframe, you have little to complain about.  Well, you can complain all you want, but you won't achieve a reduction.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, TwiceHorn said:

Taxable value/tax, yes.  Appraised value, no.

To clarify TH’s phrasing so you can understand your tax bill... Appraised value can be whatever the hell they want to say it is. Assessed value is what they actually tax you on, and it’s this number that cannot increase more than 10% with the HS exemption. So if your appraised value went up 20% this year, your assessed value will only go up 10% (and your assessed value will go up another 10% next year unless they reduce your appraised value in 2020).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

To clarify TH’s phrasing so you can understand your tax bill... Appraised value can be whatever the hell they want to say it is. Assessed value is what they actually tax you on, and it’s this number that cannot increase more than 10% with the HS exemption. So if your appraised value went up 20% this year, your assessed value will only go up 10% (and your assessed value will go up another 10% next year unless they reduce your appraised value in 2020).

Correct.  In Dallas, they use "taxable value," which is "appraised value" with increase capped at 10% annually, less homestead exemption.

Travis County

Improvements up over 50% vs last year with no additions.  No change with the land.  Appraised is up 18%, after only going up 8% total over the past 4 years.  I realize it doesn’t affect paid taxes, but the appraisal value provides a floor for the following year.

Do your thing ProTax.

Edited by Kringelbert Fishtybuns

Question on the TCAD site. 

My house under 'Improvement Building" shows this line:

Type Description Class CD Exterior Wall Year Built SQFT
604 POOL RES CONC * - 5+   0 1.0

I don't have a pool, and most of my neighbors without pools don't have this line. 

A neighbor with a pool has an identical line, but his has a year build filled in, whereas mine shows 0. 

Am I being appraised as if I have a pool? 

Question on the TCAD site. 
My house under 'Improvement Building" shows this line:
Type Description Class CD Exterior Wall Year Built SQFT
604 POOL RES CONC * - 5+   0 1.0
I don't have a pool, and most of my neighbors without pools don't have this line. 
A neighbor with a pool has an identical line, but his has a year build filled in, whereas mine shows 0. 
Am I being appraised as if I have a pool? 

A pool....and a pond. The pond would be good for you.

mine was mostly flat ATX, '59. First time since maybe 2008 that was true. Of course the 10% cap finally catches up with me, so it will still feel like it is going up. As much as it stings, its honestly pretty close to accurate. People in my neighborhood complain all the time, but I bet if the put a FSBO sign out for the TCAD number, some Californian would offer a briefcase of cash by the end of the day. 

2 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Last year, I protested and had my assessment drop $59K.  This year, they upped it $59K. It's like they don't even try.

They don't. 

A good friend of mine bought a house built in the 70's on a pretty large lot that you can't find anywhere anymore as it would be cut up into 3 or 4 lots to max value to the developer. 

new development down the road (about a mile away) were assessed 8 times the price per sq/ft for their land. It's fucking insane. 

45 here. 

TCAD now has the market value at 2x what we paid for the house less than 5 years ago.  And that’s with me protesting every year and getting money knocked off. 

We are guaranteed to hit the 10% homestead cap until we sell the house and move, whenever the hell that happens. Protax said “Sorry, not worth our time” last year so I’m guessing I’ll be making my yearly trek to their office yet again. 

What the hell is going on in Collin County?  Improvement down 10%, Land up 107%!  Blended up 9%. 

My BIL is in the same neighborhood, with same age of house and his Improvement went down 25%, Land up 2%, Blended down 20%