Breaking news - Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris on fire

Armybrat

Tankers on a structure fire? Never heard of it being done before, but who knows? One big problem with tankers on buildings is that the falling water doesn't just instantly 'aerosolize'. Water is very heavy and could easily damage the building very badly all by itself. You also have to take into consideration the firefighters and other workers on the ground. People have been injured or even killed by water drops in forest fires.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Johnny Chimpo said:

Damn I was just at Notre Dame four hours ago. I saw they had scaffolding erected all around where the fire is. I’m guessing it was flammable solvents or a short circuit or something along those lines. That is very bad news. I feel lucky to have seen it just before it burned. 

Hmm. Surley suspect number 1 

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, gecko said:

That center spire is going up in flames. Have to believe it will collapse

I had to stop watching. This is so heartbreak. I lived in Paris for a year and have been in that cathedral a dozen times on the island countless.

5 minutes ago, Blotto said:

Maybe it's this particular angle, but it doesnt seem like there a lot of activity to put out the fire. Haven't seen any fire trucks, no visible water cannons. Seems strange.

This is a very big, hot, fast-burning fire. They could be holding back due to collapse concerns or other things we don;t know about.

9 minutes ago, Johnny Chimpo said:

Damn I was just at Notre Dame four hours ago. I saw they had scaffolding erected all around where the fire is. I’m guessing it was flammable solvents or a short circuit or something along those lines. That is very bad news. I feel lucky to have seen it just before it burned. 

suspect A ^^^^