Breaking news - Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris on fire

Armybrat

12 hours ago, Blotto said:

The broad worked at Tandy, she probably knew more about computers than El Diablo did. She was basically begging for it, but once out hero bailed, she had to get serviced by this guy instead.

nerd_smoking.JPG

Ah yes, the infamous photo of young Dan McDowell, who would later piss off Lee Corso in a live interview.

Edited by clapclapclap
"We're just having fun here, no?"

Wait'll the Yellow Vests hear about this.

Emmanuel Macron Not Sure How To Tell Billionaires Notre Dame Repair Only Costs $200

Spoiler

x3bhiuk6z0yxaceughdv.jpg

PARIS—Following an outpouring of financial support from the nation’s wealthiest residents, French president Emmanuel Macron admitted Monday he was not sure how to tell the billionaire donors that repairs to the damaged Notre Dame cathedral would only cost the equivalent of about $200. “The generosity has been truly overwhelming, but we’re really just talking about replacing some wood here,” said Macron, who explained how damage to the iconic Paris landmark looked worse than it really was, and that even though the contractor’s quote came in at 500 euros, he had been able to save money by doing some of the work himself. “Things started looking a lot better after we vacuumed, and it turns out a lot of this soot will just buff right out. I guess we could use the rest of the billion or so euros to put in an underground parking garage or a nice upscale lounge with some sofas. But even then we’d have a couple hundred million left over.” At press time, Macron announced the repairs would be even cheaper than he had estimated after discovering an extra spire stored in the basement. 

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
On 4/15/2019 at 3:35 PM, Vito Andolini said:

Also, don’t discount European Smoking Asshole (they are everywhere), so one of the workers could have been careless with his Lucky Strike.

Yes, I learned my lesson, Frenchy has his own brand, but the cigarette theory seems to be heating up. Heating up, heh.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/26/europe/notre-dame-negligence-investigation-intl-scli/index.html

Paris (CNN)The catastrophic fire at the Notre Dame Cathedral could have been caused by a burning cigarette or an electrical malfunction, French prosecutors said Wednesday.

A preliminary investigation into the April fire, which devastated large parts of the 850-year-old church, found no signs that the blaze was started deliberately, Paris prosecutor Remy Heitz said in a statement.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, off-topic here I admit...the avatar pic in your profile is the Spartan mascot and he looks like he's playing golf.  A long time ago (2002-03), I was living in apartments off South MoPac and the guy underneath me was a Michigan State golf alumni who moved to Texas.  Figured maybe that was you, there can't be that many Spartan golfer alumni living in Texas.  Been meaning to ask you for awhile if that was you.   Anyway, back to the cathedral fire...

It was my own lovely lady, and she said, "Oh, it's you"
And we laughed for a moment, and I said, "I never knew"
"That you liked Pina Coladas, and getting caught in the rain
And the feel of the ocean, and the taste of champagne
If you like making love at midnight, in the dunes of the cape
You're the love that I've looked for, come with me, and escape"

I'm glad it worked out for you two 😀
Edited by nineliveslost

4 minutes ago, UTPhil2006 said:

I did 9 years ago.  Were you my neighbor?

Nah, I moved out in ‘03. 

Was a decent spot when I was there. Plenty of hot semi-professional tail and with my motorcycle I could shoulder pass traffic on impact and get to campus in under 10min.

Sergeant Lemaire had already seen the perils that the northern tower held earlier that evening. In the time it took to decide on the new plan, things only got worse.

“We were at first reluctant to go because we weren’t sure we’d have an escape route,” he recalled.

A group of firefighters from a neighboring suburb refused to go, but another team said it would do it.

Good to see the French still doing their thing. 

• Like 1

Jeebus H. I said this immediately upon seeing the first images of the fire, why isn't there a sprinkler system ???!!!!  The cost of the fire detection system is and was useless as the speed at which a fire spreads in such a structure is faster than a fire co. can be altered, mobilize and get to the scene let alone climb upon into to structure and begin spraying water.

At the very least a dry or chemical system could have been installed, and manually activated to prevent accidental activations.

I'd hope every Cathedral in the world is right now finalizing contracts with sprinkler companies.

• 3 months later...

I had an Airbnb rented for a full week in the Rue de Passy in early August of last year. It had a nice view of the Eiffel Tower. Too bad Mrs. Brat had her accident in London three weeks earlier so we were forced to cancel the rest of the month long trip. At least the insurance reimbursed me for the lost $4,500. Thinking about a return trip to finish where we left off.

• 3 years later...

Ok some interesting things they mentioned. 

They are completely cleaning the centuries of candle smoke (and obviously fire smoke) from the limestone on the interior.  They showed shots of what's been cleaned so far and you are able to see what the stone walls and ceilings looked like when it was built 800 years ago. Centuries of people have never seen these cleaned stones. It's magnificent and such a stark contrast to the uncleaned stone.

They were up close and personal with the Rose Window. One interesting nugget is that stained glass is only made up of glass from the 13th century and the 19th century. There was no updated/renovated glass in that window for more than 500 years.

• Hook 'Em 4